CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Uhhh hi?

Off topic discussion can sometimes be beneficial. The people in this thread are reasonably familiar with each other antics, we're here because we have a love for competitive Halo in common and we like talking about it. Sometimes we like to talk about other stuff with each other, and in order to guarantee it gets read, people like to post it in here. I have no problem with this, and I'm sure the other staff don't either.

The last 10 pages have made me ache with nostalgia. Not only that, it had made me remember why I love Halo so much, in particular competitive Halo. I don't believe it's off topic.

I started playing Halo 1 because my friend got a new 'xbox' to replace his N64 and after convincing me that it "wasn't too gory" (I was scared of the MA15+ rating) he got me to play.

We literally never played any other games except Ghost Recon and then eventually Halo 2. If we weren't playing outside (Kids my age all played outside back then) we'd come and in the question would always be "What game can we play?" and there were only to games with split screen: Halo and Ghost Recon.

My parents couldn't afford and Xbox so I only could play at a friends house. To me, Halo is gaming. Gaming is friends sitting in a room shit talking about how many times someone gets sniped. No other games gave me that feeling and no game ever will. 

I found out about MLG because my friend said 'Watch this" and played TheHaloGod's "Untouchable" montage. I couldn't believe someone was that good. I watched a few more montages on Google Video (I had to download them because waiting for them to buffer was horrible) and then on YouTube there was a recommended video called "MLG Week 1" and it was the 2006 TV show of MLG.

I laughed, thought it was a bit too much then found myself watching 4 hours of competitive Halo.

Started watching the streams regularly by '08 and joined MLG forums January '09.

Halo is the best.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I would love to know how many people lie about "playing halo since CE." Probably a pretty decent percentage honestly. Anyways, I hope that since the pro player summit is finished that we get the Season 2 info soon.

Seems like it would be an extremely silly thing to lie about...

Anyway, halo CE had a ridiculous attach rate even for a game on an under performing console. On top of that, it was certainly a water cooler topic.

Purely anecdotal, but many of the people that showed up to play halo at the LANs by buddy hosted didn't even have xbox's many of them wouldn't even call themselves gamers at the time.

So I wouldn't be surprised if many more people claim to have began with CE, even if they didn't own it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

In Vision Hecz says "Do you want to play Halo for a couple months?". He didn't say "Do you want to play Halo forever?"

It's prob a joke but I could see it occuring. There isn't another season of pro league after this upcoming one. Or at least there hasn't been one announced. I'd expect it'll be similar to pre-Worlds last year, lots of qualifiers and stuff, maybe some LANs. Formal could easily just go and play with OpTic in the pro league with plans to leave once the season is over and go back to the new CoD. They wouldn't expect to win or anything but it'd be a fun time for them and they love the fun times.

• Upvote (+1) 1

- I got really hooked on FPS's when Goldeneye came out.  Moved on to Perfect Dark when that released.

- When I saw the previews of Halo leading up to the release of XBOX, I knew I had to have it.  It was the only reason I bought an XBOX.

- I played the shit out of CE, mostly playing gimicky gametypes with a small group of friends.  We'd sometimes play Boarding Action Snipers for hours.

- Found mlgpro.com in 2004.  Didn't join until 2005 because I was only there to read, not to post.

- Watched every MLG Halo tournament.

- Read every single post in both the pro and open threads for every event (I don't even want to think about how much time that took).

- Paid for VOD and loved every second of it (despite the video quality being so poor that I sometimes couldn't read anything on the screen).

- Sucked balls at every FPS ever, but still loved playing them.  During the first month of Halo 2, I legitimately thought I would never get past level 7, lol.

- Halo 3 came out, and I despised playing it, but still loved watching it.

- During H3, H4, and Reach, I spent more time watching Halo than I did playing it.

- Somewhere along the way, I became obsessed with forge, and put out a bunch of shitty maps (it's an obsession I still can't seem to kick).

- MCC came out and I fell in love with Halo CE again, despite the fact that it was a bastardized version of the original.

- Spent hours on end in custom games by myself learning grenade tricks.

- H5 came out, and I like it more than some of the previous Halo games, but nowhere near as much as the first two.

- Lost interest in the competitive scene due to settings I don't like watching or playing, and the over abundance of online play.

- Still read this thread every day (along with a couple of others), mostly out of habit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When you get home from work and check the forums hoping for some hot   :intel: , but just find 10+ pages of people's personal halo stories

cUDArfW.png

/s

I would however love to see the halo history of the ogre twins and walshy. For people aware of Thooorin's youtube channel, a Reflections type video with some of the older pros would be amazing.

• Upvote (+1) 4

When you get home from work and check the forums hoping for some hotdan:intel: , but just find 10+ pages of people's personal halo stories

cUDArfW.png

/s

I would however love to see the halo history of the ogre twins and walshy. For people aware of Thooorin's youtube channel, a Reflections type video with some of the older pros would be amazing.

Look up Throoper's Snapshots. He doesn't do them consistently, but same concept I think?

Look up Throoper's Snapshots. He doesn't do them consistently, but same concept I think?

Yeah without watching one yet that looks like a similar concept. Would love to see 2gre do something like this!

Walshy did some videos like that back during MCC. iirc he did a couple with naded, ninja, roy, and victory. He stopped doing them unfortunately though:(
  • Upvote (+1) 1

In Vision Hecz says "Do you want to play Halo for a couple months?". He didn't say "Do you want to play Halo forever?"

It's prob a joke but I could see it occuring. There isn't another season of pro league after this upcoming one. Or at least there hasn't been one announced. I'd expect it'll be similar to pre-Worlds last year, lots of qualifiers and stuff, maybe some LANs. Formal could easily just go and play with OpTic in the pro league with plans to leave once the season is over and go back to the new CoD. They wouldn't expect to win or anything but it'd be a fun time for them and they love the fun times.

Lots of veee-log material you can get from attending a LAN.  Chipotle's probably guaranteed to be within 5mi too regardless of where it is. 

So Maniac said on visions that they all played too slow. Well imo Str8 sick plays at a much faster pace than Heinz, which is who everyone thinks will be Optic's new fourth. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Lots of veee-log material you can get from attending a LAN.  Chipotle's probably guaranteed to be within 5mi too regardless of where it is. 

8hGsKFD.gif

• Upvote (+1) 7

No teasing here, I am talking to a few people

If you ever do it message this username, I know several people that would love to come as well. (Assuming it would still be KY based)

So Maniac said on visions that they all played too slow. Well imo Str8 sick plays at a much faster pace than Heinz, which is who everyone thinks will be Optic's new fourth.

He plays well with Apg and ace though. That might be the feeling behind it

Just made a post on r/halo asking what people's halo history was haha. Anyway, here's mine.

• played some Halo CE at a friend's house, but was never really super into it
  • played a bit of those PC CE games people used to play on middle school computers around the mid 2000s
  • dad buys me an xbox in late 2007, we go to the store to pick up a game
  • I decide on (drumroll...) WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008. lol. Dad vetoes this decision and essentially says I won't enjoy that game after a few months, buy something else
  • so I pick up Halo 3 because I heard about it a lot, but knew literally nothing about the game itself. I was annoyed at not being able to play SvR08 but w/e (best veto ever, in hindsight). Also I didn't get XBL at the time because I had no idea that most of Halo's experience was online
  • play the campaign. fall in love with lore. read essentially all the books that had been released up until that point.
  • I watched X-Play a lot during this time and they used to play those tsquared commercials all the time. That's how I learned of the competitive scene although I didn't really explore into it much
  • Go to midnight launch of Halo Reach. To keep us entertained during the lineup they're asking us questions about the lore and giving out prizes (tshirts etc). I'm that one annoying kid sticking his hand up like Hermione answering every question. Walked away with a lot of Halo swag that night haha 
  • kind of drift away from Halo and towards CoD because that's what all my friends were playing
  • finally get XBL towards the end of Reach and beginning of 4 (fucking woooorst timing lmao)
  • around late 2013, there's this article released detailing why H4 was such a disaster and why it was dropped from MLG. people are yearning for an H2 Anniversary 
  • man. that E3 2014. The fucking hype was real. All the amazing shit I'd heard about the glory days of Halo. All that time I had played the campaign over and over again while being completely oblivious to the massive multiplayer scene until it had died. I'd finally be able to play that shit in one package, in 1080p 60FPS. 
  • MCC released. I buy XB1. And yeah. 
  • At this point I actually discover the pro scene. I watch most of Walshy's Halo history videos, start watching the big tournaments, learn about FB/the Ogres. it's cool. Unfortunately the game itself is the most frustratingly bad game I think I've ever played, and any hopes of playing a game that brings Halo back to the glory days I never got to experience dissipates quickly
  • H5 comes out, a couple months later Hurricane TJ happens. That's when I discover Teambeyond. 
  • 7 months later and I'm sitting at 1500+ rep. Glad to be here guys :)
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There were a few people I always had trouble with in Halo 3 online, it was like this giant circle of online warriors and we all knew / hated eachother.

Skary

Swipuh

Omega

Villuh

zNightmare

Ulrich

Fraguh

Anyone from the EU/Europe was impossible if they had host

This list + remembering playing against you is making me twitchy.