CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

+rep for taking the time to compile all this and making a very well-constructed post with good stats, but it all kinda misses the actual point people make when they call Ninja inconsistent.

They don't call him inconsistent on a series-to-series basis, but a game-to-game or life-to-life basis.  He can go from playing insanely good in the first few games of the series to suddenly making questionable plays and repeated bad pushes.

By tracking series-to-series, it fails to account for this, so it doesn't really shed any light what most people are arguing.

I see what you are saying, wish we had a way to track this? (If we do I'm not aware of it)

Hopefully we get Finals stats soon/

+rep for taking the time to compile all this and making a very well-constructed post with good stats, but it all kinda misses the actual point people make when they call Ninja inconsistent.

They don't call him inconsistent on a series-to-series basis, but a game-to-game or life-to-life basis.  He can go from playing insanely good in the first few games of the series to suddenly making questionable plays and repeated bad pushes.

By tracking series-to-series, it fails to account for this, so it doesn't really shed any light what most people are arguing.

And really I believe Plz knows this, but Penguin did poke the bear ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nice work.

Standard deviation doesn't fully capture what we're interested in here, even if you did go game-by-game. Upward variance is a good thing. If you had a player with 80 games of 1.1 KD and 20 games of 5.0 KD, you wouldn't call that person inconsistent, but their standard deviation would be high. 

The trick is that these performances aren't necessarily distributed normally. What somebody ought to do is collect KDA from every individual game and then plot a histogram. Super-imposing the histograms would give you the clearest picture of range of performance.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I see what you are saying, wish we had a way to track this? (If we do I'm not aware of it)

Hopefully we get Finals stats soon/

No way of doing it easily, you'd have to manually track each life and assign it a 'score' and stuff based on how 'good' that life was (or that's how I'd do it, other methods are available) . This is the 'objective' side that stats sometimes can't cover - for example, 'leadership' in actual sports
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Nice work.

Standard deviation doesn't fully capture what we're interested in here, even if you did go game-by-game. Upward variance is a good thing. If you had a player with 80 games of 1.1 KD and 20 games of 5.0 KD, you wouldn't call that person inconsistent, but their standard deviation would be high. 

The trick is that these performances aren't necessarily distributed normally. What somebody ought to do is collect KDA from every individual game and then plot a histogram. Super-imposing the histograms would give you the clearest picture of range of performance.

True, but the deviance is derived from the mean so even with upward variance it still means (no pun) there were numbers low enough to pull the mean down. That's why I like the formula.

Between a dude climbing Trump Tower, No Man's Sky, and lit scrims I don't know what to watch. 

I hear EG and C9 are scrimming?

• Upvote (+1) 1

1991 Braves / Twins.

We don't even need to talk about 90s Braves. Should've won way more than they did with three Hall of Fame pitchers on the team at the same time before it was over with. The bullpen was insane salty 20 years later

• Upvote (+1) 2

We don't even need to talk about 90s Braves. Should've won way more than they did with three Hall of Fame pitchers on the team at the same time before it was over with. The bullpen was insane salty 20 years later

I was just referencing the "Worst to First" season for both of those teams.  Worst teams in the league 1990, World Series appearance for both 1991.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I was just referencing the "Worst to First" season for both of those teams.  Worst teams in the league 1990, World Series appearance for both 1991.

I know lol I just hate thinking about that team through the 90s

And nV reminds me of every Charlotte/NC/SC team to exist. 

Top 2 but never gets over the hump. Ex. (UNC this year which had me cry/ Panthers another crying moment/ Hornets/ and Clemson). 

Here's to hoping they win Season 2. Be nice for Buzz City to sting for once. 

Haha love it. They'll get there, gotta believe.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Damn @@TheSimms, looks like you've been hittin the gym since Halo 4.  :dank:

Beard game on-point too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nice work.

True, but the deviance is derived from the mean so even with upward variance it still means (no pun) there were numbers low enough to pull the mean down. That's why I like the formula.

Ok, finally got this done. It's all pretty simple and based around K/D as that's all I have access to but It still paints a pretty solid picture of consistency (IMO)

:Snip:

Its so great to be witnessing the birth of true esports analytics!  gotta get those fivethirtyeight.com guys in here to get this shit on track.  Someone has connections at ESPN right??

• Upvote (+1) 3

Its so great to be witnessing the birth of true esports analytics!  gotta get those fivethirtyeight.com guys in here to get this shit on track.  Someone has connections at ESPN right??

The demand is there, @@ssbChad landed a position with an org doing it. It's actually pretty exciting to think about.

xRiffOW.png

Did UNILAD just post Tsquared on Instagram?

LMAO I'm dying.

So it was probably on some subreddit near the top.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I am traveling overseas for the first time in my life this weekend and staying all of next week. In this time, I will not be keeping up with this thread or anything Halo related. With that said, I fully expect to return home and post "I'm back, bitches" to be met with a full recap of what I missed simple due to my prominent status within this community as "that random fuck that's been here since day 1." Thanks in advance.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am traveling overseas for the first time in my life this weekend and staying all of next week. In this time, I will not be keeping up with this thread or anything Halo related. With that said, I fully expect to return home and post "I'm back, bitches" to be met with a full recap of what I missed simple due to my prominent status within this community as "that random fuck that's been here since day 1." Thanks in advance.

Only if you join the premium master race

W0uld has the skill and knowledge of a pro.

Penguin hates Ninja.

PlzLearn hates Penguin.

Rayne hates everybody.

Frank hates Sudd 2.

Beyond doesn't show enough EU perspective.

Cooper is in the deep web version of Beyond. 

@@LethuL is going to unban him.

Alright thanks. Glad I didn't make the same mistake that I did yesterday.  :simms:

There is a difference between one bad game. and a whole bad series. One bad game isn't underperforming. A whole bad series at a tournament is underperforming. You have to step up when it matters. And if you can't, you're underperforming. 

• Upvote (+1) 6