CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Honestly I feel like the best use of stats doesn't happen as much as it should, and that's using them to find areas where improvement can be made. For example Snipedown noticing how much lower his AR usage was than other pro players, or basically anyone who has looked at the DMG/min stats for weapons and noticed that they are particularly good with a certain weapon but could be using it more (I made some notable improvements by grabbing DMRs more often after not using them much early in the game).

Honestly not a bad habit to get into IMO. Can think of a number of times that's worked out in my favor just because someone went for the last-second stop.

100%. There can be a lot learned from stats, especially when there are certain things that are either really high, or really low. But using stats as evidence to how "good" people are in a team game doesn't work.

I think Halo 5 is missing its Carbon right now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Man that list could be so long i kind of wish you kept going haha.

but yeah, stats are a good indicator only when there is a pretty wide gulf between players.  with a large sample size, someone with a .6 KD is most certainly worse than a player with a 1.0 KD no matter how you slice it, for example. but if one player is at like .95 and another at 1.05 then the stat doesn't mean shit.

Exactly, a good example would be Totz in H3 (usually going -200 each tournament, where the next best k/d was -70), or Warlord in the HCS EU finals ... if your k/d ratio is 0.3 or 0.4 below the rest of your team then you're almost certainly getting carried, but 0.1 or 0.2 is almost meaningless.  I remember Roy saying on stream that any game where he has the highest k/d he usually feels like he played bad/selfishly

Can someone please try and make a consistent scoring system. Just lost with 2 unrankeds and lost 23 CSR. I win and gain 2 or 3....

vWRWeN6.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can someone please try and make a consistent scoring system. Just lost with 2 unrankeds and lost 23 CSR. I win and gain 2 or 3....

vWRWeN6.png

Halo 5's "ranking system" is terrible. Whole playlist is terrible. Laughable compared to what we had in H3. A big reason why not that many people play

• Upvote (+1) 8

For all we know OpTic could be the best team right now

The best at being last.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Stats in sports still don't mean much either lol. There are so many factors that can't be given numerical values. Sure it can show a part of the story, but it doesn't really evaluate a player properly.

The only stat that have the least amount of contributing factors is Damage Done, every other stat your teammates can share the blame in or take some credit for.

Its a reflection of both the player and his teammates for the amount of deaths or kills that player has.

Putting the lost of a game or games on one player because of them having a high death count tells me more about the player's teammates than it does the player.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Towey just said he thinks EG is scrimming C9 tonight. Same 4 as last night (RoyBox, Ninja, Vic X). 

Edit: should be starting at ~9:30 CST.

• Upvote (+1) 5

to beat the best you have to get your confidence up against optic first - Lethul 2016

oh shots fired!

For all we know OpTic could be the best team right now

They're just taking a rest to let their bodies recover.  Dont worry guys, they'll be back with a vengeance

The only stat that have the least amount of contributing factors is Damage Done, every other stat your teammates can share the blame in or take some credit for.

Its a reflection of both the player and his teammates for the amount of deaths or kills that player has.

Putting the lost of a game or games on one player because of them having a high death count tells me more about the player's teammates than it does the player.

The stat line alone tells me nothing about either one.  You could have really good teammates but play like a total moron or vice versa

Just because k/d is a flawed stat doesn't mean stats dont give useful information or that they shouldn't be used more!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Towey just said he thinks EG is scrimming C9 tonight. Same 4 as last night (RoyBox, Ninja, Vic X). 

Thats good.  they were playing better at the end and i think another look is in order.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just because k/d is a flawed stat doesn't mean stats dont give useful information or that they shouldn't be used more!

I dont think anybody is saying that.  We are just saying that context ALWAYS matters so quoting an individual player's stats from a game or set of games means nothing without going deeeper

*Insert Inception meme here* 

Its interesting, i notice my damage is generally lower than the rest of my teams.  Like solo queuing, if i do the best in the game i tend to have the most damage.  When i play with people all around my skill level and i just happen to have a game where i perform better than everyone statistically, i still dont really ever have the most damage and often have the least.  Idk if the damage stat is broken and doesnt work well with the way i play or what, but i notice so often my damage is way lower but i have no idea why.  It hasnt been as much of an issue lately, but still even games where i have the most kills by 10 and least deaths i have less damage then some people.  Its confusing.

• Upvote (+1) 1