CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Ryanoob, heinz,or str8 sick, not because they're bad players I think they're all really good, just that the way the "keeping two players for an org" thing works make it seem like they'd be the odd men out. Not implying Naded would be joining OpTic in any capacity though, the str8 sick move would be a response to a move by another team. 

RyaNoob and Heinz are gonna hold tight to that Allegiance seed. Contra and Predev will float another way.

• Downvote (-1) 2

So pretty much what I just said?

I completely misread that, my b.

• Upvote (+1) 1

RyaNoob and Heinz are gonna hold tight to that Allegiance seed. Contra and Predev will float another way.

how do they determine who keeps the seed/org and who leaves?

If there are two pairs that stick together from a roster of 4, team manager decides. So whoever Alliance owner feels would better represent the brand.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In the case of a 2/2 split the team manager gets the say on who keeps the seed. I don't know who that is for allegiance.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Assuming Halo 6 comes out Autumn next year, they'll probably have one season between HWC 2017 and it's release.

Halo 6 will probably be fall 2018, considering it has always been on a 3 year cycle. I would guess that competitive Halo will continue through at least spring of that year, even though nothing beyond HWC 2017 has been announced.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maniac is literally nothing without Optic at this point in his life - for better or worse. His vlog's have made me a big fan but lets be honest. He's gone from living at home / working part time at a grocery store to this... 

His position with Optic is precarious.... you'd think he'd be thinking about how to better his position long term. He looks more than content to enjoy the ride until it ends.

Couldn't you argue that him going to an event to get better content for his vlogs, and just focusing more on videos in general, is better for his long term position within OpTic?

• Upvote (+1) 6

Halo 6 will probably be fall 2018, considering it has always been on a 3 year cycle. I would guess that competitive Halo will continue through at least spring of that year, even though nothing beyond HWC 2017 has been announced.

It probably won't happen, but I'd love to see a Halo 3: Anniversary bundle with the campaign done like H2A (even though I think H3 is still a damn good looking game). With 10 maps for arena and btb from Halo 3 redone for Halo 5 to keep us held over until Halo 6 in 2018.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Everybody who plays halo at a decent level should know how little stats can show. Objective stats are just as insufficient as kda. In fact, they might be even less sufficient.

For example:

1. A player decides to sit on a stronghold and finish capturing it when he could have pushed up and let his teammate who spawned behind him capture it.

2. A player gets lots of flag pulls that are at the expense of map control.

3. A player needlessly challenges players who are sure to capture a stronghold and manages to get one kill but dies to the others and the point gets easily captured anyway.

4. A player pushes for a stronghold capture instead of securing rockets and os and loses 2 points shortly thereafter because the other team got the weapons.

5. Regarding damage dealt: the player could be challenging needlessly all the time or sitting in a position that is personally beneficial for stats but doesn't help the team as much.

Then we have less tangible things like players who "tilt" and get passive aggressive with their teammates when they're losing.

I will say that Dmg/Min and Dmg/D are two of the best stats we've ever had, but yeah, no stats can fully summarize a player's contributions. Especially if we compare it to traditional sports. They almost always have better, more useful statistics and the stats still lead GMs astray all the time. As always you have to find ways to put them in context.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If there are two pairs that stick together from a roster of 4, team manager decides. So whoever Alliance owner feels would better represent the brand.

Cool, thanks. 

Everybody who plays halo at a decent level should know how little stats can show. Objective stats are just as insufficient as kda. In fact, they might be even less sufficient.

For example:

1. A player decides to sit on a stronghold and finish capturing it when he could have pushed up and let his teammate who spawned behind him capture it.

3. A player needlessly challenges players who are sure to capture a stronghold and manages to get one kill but dies to the others and the point gets easily captured anyway.

4. A player pushes for a stronghold capture instead of securing rockets and os and loses 2 stronghold points shortly thereafter because the other team got the weapons.

5. Regarding damage dealt: the player could be challenging needlessly all the time or sitting in a position that is personally beneficial for stats but doesn't help the team as much.

Then we have less tangible things like players who "tilt" and get passive aggressive with their teammates when they're losing or shout over their teammates' callouts because they feel that their own callouts are more important.

Man that list could be so long i kind of wish you kept going haha.

but yeah, stats are a good indicator only when there is a pretty wide gulf between players.  with a large sample size, someone with a .6 KD is most certainly worse than a player with a 1.0 KD no matter how you slice it, for example. but if one player is at like .95 and another at 1.05 then the stat doesn't mean shit.

Man that list could be so long i kind of wish you kept going haha.

but yeah, stats are a good indicator only when there is a pretty wide gulf between players. with a large sample size, someone with a .6 KD is most certainly worse than a player with a 1.0 KD no matter how you slice it, for example. but if one player is at like .95 and another at 1.05 then the stat doesn't mean shit.

As someone who believes in stats in the world of sports as well, I'd disagree on the overall point, but in terms of halo I agree. Unfortunately the stats we have aren't really nuanced enough for use, nor do we really have a big enough sample size with how much teams change!

As someone who believes in stats in the world of sports as well, I'd disagree on the overall point, but in terms of halo I agree. Unfortunately the stats we have aren't really nuanced enough for use, nor do we really have a big enough sample size with how much teams change!

Stats in sports still don't mean much either lol. There are so many factors that can't be given numerical values. Sure it can show a part of the story, but it doesn't really evaluate a player properly.

For example:

4. A player pushes for a stronghold capture instead of securing rockets and os and loses 2 stronghold points shortly thereafter because the other team got the weapons.

Then we have less tangible things like players who "tilt" and get passive aggressive with their teammates when they're losing or shout over their teammates' callouts because they feel that their own callouts are more important.

I always thrust+slide into a stronghold that's going to be captured without me just so I don't look like a stat-whore.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Stats in sports still don't mean much either lol. There are so many factors that can't be given numerical values. Sure it can show a part of the story, but it doesn't really evaluate a player properly.

I know it's cliché, but read moneyball. No, stats aren't everything, but stats are very important.

Or if you're European and prefer football (soccer) try soccernomics.

Honestly I feel like the best use of stats doesn't happen as much as it should, and that's using them to find areas where improvement can be made. For example Snipedown noticing how much lower his AR usage was than other pro players, or basically anyone who has looked at the DMG/min stats for weapons and noticed that they are particularly good with a certain weapon but could be using it more (I made some notable improvements by grabbing DMRs more often after not using them much early in the game).

I always thrust+slide into a stronghold that's going to be captured without me just so I don't look like a stat-whore.

Honestly not a bad habit to get into IMO. Can think of a number of times that's worked out in my favor just because someone went for the last-second stop. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

It probably won't happen, but I'd love to see a Halo 3: Anniversary bundle with the campaign done like H2A (even though I think H3 is still a damn good looking game). With 10 maps for arena and btb from Halo 3 redone for Halo 5 to keep us held over until Halo 6 in 2018.

I think a longer dev cycle will benefit the eSports aspect of Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Couldn't you argue that him going to an event to get better content for his vlogs, and just focusing more on videos in general, is better for his long term position within OpTic?

Couldnt you argue that improving on Halo 5, and therefore having a strong, top 4 OpTic Halo team would be fantastic for the HCS scene and would grow the community massively?

Cut off a hydras head, and two will grow in its place.

Kill someone who's using a hydra, and the fucking lock on rockets will still kill you fuck that fucking weapon FUCK

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

For example:

Just because a player doesn't get cleaned up doesn't mean it was useless to damage them. Weak players are only slightly more likely than dead players to be influencing other players on the map. If you push two people, get them both no shields, and then die, you still might have prevented them from helping their two teammates on the other side of the map, who just lost a 3v2. 

Damage is always good. Deaths are bad, and giving up positioning and sacrificing caps / strongholds is bad, but damage is never bad. 

However, just because damage is good does not mean that you cannot win without causing lots and lots of damage. Some people favor a conservative playstyle that emphasizes reducing deaths, never giving the other team an opportunity to collapse. I think there's a big misconception that this is 'more correct' than a more fast-paced relentless playstyle that tries to constantly make sure the opponent never has 4 players up. But I see these as two different ways to skin the same cat. Final Boss vs. Carbon. I think Halo 5 is missing its Carbon right now.

Couldnt you argue that improving on Halo 5, and therefore having a strong, top 4 OpTic Halo team would be fantastic for the HCS scene and would grow the community massively?

no doubt about that but i dont think optic is as concerned about doing what is "Best for Halo" as much as "Best for the fraternity of Optic" which really doesn't necessitate Halo being involved at all considering their CoD squad and non-competitive streaming popularity.