CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Player drafts would never work in eSports. Teams are too small and player communication is such a huge factor.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Pengninja must be a reality.

6WkRDtP.jpg

(made by random pics found on the internet)

penguinja flows better

• Upvote (+1) 2

this will never ever happen

I wouldn't say never but we are very far away. Bigger esports could pull it off if they wanted to though.

New Sig is looking dank 

Also I feel like we need a dank emote. Literally something that just says Dank. :simms:  @@mediabrute are you up for the challenge???

• Upvote (+1) 6

Player drafts would never work in eSports. Teams are too small and player communication is such a huge factor.

I don't see how this logic makes any sense.

I wouldn't say never but we are very far away. Bigger esports could pull it off if they wanted to though.

But no esport would want to. Drafting teams is a lose-lose-lose proposition - for players, for good organizations and even spectators.

- Players: lose earning power when subjected to a draft - this is evident in every professional sport, and it doesn't have to do with limits on drafted player compensation (even though that exists in pro sports), but it has to do with limited negotiation power (as players are not free agents).

- Good organizations: lose the ability to acquire players that make sense for them - outside of winning, players that create content, or are charismatic, or have whatever other strengths tailored to their org have value outside of their ability to play the game. Rich orgs are often the same as good orgs, because being well-run makes you profitable. Drafts would prevent deserving players from joining good orgs and vice versa.

- Finally, spectators: from a spectator point of view, while this would increase the competitiveness of the scene, it would lower the overall quality of play since teams would be created suboptimally via the draft.

All of this to avoid the 'boogeyman' of a too dominant team. People look fondly upon Final Boss - why is this an issue with CLG now? Do you think that having a transcendant team like the 95-96 Bulls or the modern-day Warriors or the 2007 Patriots sucked? Because you're wrong. Dominant teams provide just as many storylines as parity does.

• Upvote (+1) 4

New Sig is looking dank 

Also I feel like we need a dank emote. Literally something that just says Dank. :simms:  @@mediabrute are you up for the challenge???

Throw that PogChamp emote on the request list as well  :simms:

I don't see how this logic makes any sense.

Because half the teams wouldn't get along and be total busts. Team chem is huge in eSports.

• Upvote (+1) 2

But no esport would want to. Drafting teams is a lose-lose-lose proposition - for players, for good organizations and even spectators.

- Players: lose earning power when subjected to a draft - this is evident in every professional sport, and it doesn't have to do with limits on drafted player compensation (even though that exists in pro sports), but it has to do with limited negotiation power (as players are not free agents).

- Good organizations: lose the ability to acquire players that make sense for them - outside of winning, players that create content, or are charismatic, or have whatever other strengths tailored to their org have value outside of their ability to play the game. Rich orgs are often the same as good orgs, because being well-run makes you profitable. Drafts would prevent deserving players from joining good orgs and vice versa.

- Finally, spectators: from a spectator point of view, while this would increase the competitiveness of the scene, it would lower the overall quality of play since teams would be created suboptimally via the draft.

All of this to avoid the 'boogeyman' of a too dominant team. People look fondly upon Final Boss - why is this an issue with CLG now? Do you think that having a transcendant team like the 95-96 Bulls of the modern-day Warriors or the 2007 Patriots sucked? Because you're wrong. Dominant teams provide just as many storylines as parity does.

NBA viewership numbers have been on the decline since golden state began it's dominance.

Dominance is not fun to watch. It's anti climactic. Watching CLG shit kick ALG was boring as hell. Imagine the finals were actually even and interesting. Gane 7 is a lot more fun to watch then a 4-0 sweep.

• Upvote (+1) 1

NBA viewership numbers have been on the decline since golden state began it's dominance.

Dominance is not fun to watch. It's anti climactic. Watching CLG shit kick ALG was boring as hell. Imagine the finals were actually even and interesting. Gane 7 is a lot more fun to watch then a 4-0 sweep.

You are wrong. NBA viewership #s have been falling since 2012, but the Warriors-Cavs finals last year was the highest rated NBA Finals since 2001. I don't want to talk about this anymore because this is really a sports discussion which as I've learned in the past has no place on this forum but there are scores and scores of examples in all competitions where people line up in droves to watch dominance in action.

• Upvote (+1) 2

double elim would be a better format to increase the odds of getting the 2 best teams in the final against each other.

clg is pretty much always going to be 1, but a few other teams can get hot for a day or 2 and be 2nd best.

as far as drafting goes, until there's some sort of union that can negotiate guaranteed salaries for pros, that's not going to happen. zero incentive for anybody involved to get that going. it's baffling that people talk about drafting in a sport where people play almost purely for prize winnings.  every other sport that has drafting rules has at least some sort of guaranteed minimum salary for signed players.  the disparate gaming organizations aren't going to go there.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

#intel?

Randa is a notorious troll for that stuff. 

Faze has zero interest in Halo. Especially after how content the owner is with CoD AND the numbers they pulled this weekend. 

Faze has zero interest in Halo. Especially after how content the owner is with CoD AND the numbers they pulled this weekend. 

oreally?

WHY IS IT WHITE WTF

• Upvote (+1) 8

I wouldn't say zero interest. They have Kampy, and I feel like they would support him if he wanted to put a team together. Only issue is that he is a competitive guy and would probably rather not compete in 4v4 if he won't have a solid team.

This is really tough to keep up.  I pretty much went to the bathroom and came back and there were 5 new pages....

Will have my laptop surgically attached to my forearm now to keep myself updated on this thread.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Whats all this talk about player drafts? This is a silly idea. The way teams form might be a little messy and need more structure but its far more exciting and interesting. Half the people on the forums here are only here because of the Lethul shit storm. While its a little rough around the edges i like the way things are.

CLG being dominant is only a faze. This team will always compete but they wont always win. Weve seen this literally in every year that Halo has run events. Every year there is a "god squad" and then miraculously the next theres another one. Fact of the matter is the game has only been out for 5 months. There is so much time for teams and players to grow. So lets give it a bit before we decide that CLG is going to run the table for the next couple years.

• Upvote (+1) 3

#intel?

#intel = #nointel 

Randa has just decided to make the theme this week FaZe instead of Optic.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't like this at all. Teams have to be well rounded and it must remain essential that matches don't become heavily favorite to a particular gametype.

I have other feelings about why I don't really like the idea of pick/bans but, eh.

More well rounded teams gain an advantage in being able to ban / pick strategically against their opponents strengths / weaknesses rather than their own, the best teams are usually the more rounded to an extent. The whole favoring a particular map or gametype is unlikely to work out in reality because the whole point of the system is that teams try to work each other out. If teams are picking identical maps/gametypes to each other, either there is cooperation between teams or your map/gametype pool is fucked.

It'd be nice to see it tried out in a serious setting but it is obviously more of a preference thing when it comes to making the final decision.

OT - Drafting... Can't really imagine anything more boring than everyone being forced to have a shit player on their team.

• Upvote (+1) 1