CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Apparently I have the ability to unblock myself from people's block list so, I must be a forum goat.

Plus, multi quote doesn't exist on mobile. Take it up with the admins.

I for one, welcome Cooper our new forum overlord. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How do I block people again? Not that I don't enjoy seeing one person take up an entire page of posting about the same topic..

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Now you're just talking out of your ass.

Have you even played the settings?

"basically the same thing" is an exaggeration. But the point is they make no attempt to integrate any of H5's redeeming qualities. It's an inferior version of games we've already played. What justification is there for removing stabilise? I've played the settings and felt they were a trash attempt at making H5 play like H2, using remakes of maps that have been solved for a decade, and the H5 thread "I don't play this game, but let me tell you why it sucks" dream team is pretending it's the next coming of christ.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I for one, welcome Cooper our new forum overlord. 

I agree. First he teaches us how to parent and now he's teaching us how to Halo  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 8

"basically the same thing" is an exaggeration. But the point is they make no attempt to integrate any of H5's redeeming qualities. It's an inferior version of games we've already played. What justification is there for removing stabilise? I've played the settings and felt they were a trash attempt at making H5 play like H2, using remakes of maps that have been solved for a decade, and the H5 thread "I don't play this game, but let me tell you why it sucks" dream team is pretending it's the next coming of christ.

"inferior game" "like H2". Lol. How can you be so wrong? And everyone there plays the fucking game dude, most people are level 120+. We play the default game and we don't like the gimmicks. That's it. Get it through your head.
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I messaged you. People get upset when I post in this thread about this stuff.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I know people on here don't agree with me, but I play solo Arena all the time and it isn't that bad. I'm not quite a champ though so maybe that is why?

But I still always call out, even if people aren't calling out or talking back. A lot of the time about 1/4 of the way through the game people who were previously silent will join me.

Also if someone has a mic and is cool I will add them. I have been doing this for long enough now that I rarely get on without getting a party or game invite. 

Glad its working out for somebody. As for me its the same thing every time, silent teammates and constantly getting matched against people with matching symbols so for me thats good enough to assume they know each other. Then my team runs around like chickens with their heads cut off refusing to touch the objective while the other team works together and covers each other well. Almost every battle ends up being a 1v2 because its impossible to keep track of what my team is doing. I despise how MM works in this game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To @@Cooper @My Namez BEAST and anyone else who comes in here with the same stuff on settings, here is (from my point of view) a plan that might actually prove to fruitful for you guys, instead of just spamming the same circular arguments that no one wants to hear in this thread:

• Go and gather 8 pros. Send them PMs, send them twitter messages. You're going to want to try to go for the analytical and well-spoken ones. RyaNoob is a good example. Snakebite is another. Don't go after pros like Maniac.
  • Come up with a set time and date. Try and choose a time that work the best for your 8 pros that you have hopefully gathered by now. Have them play ONE full set of gametypes. Change a single variable for this. My recommendation is go for no radar.
  • Are you ready for this part? This is the most important. Try to moderate a healthy UNBIASED discussion (maybe this part wouldn't be best for you @@Cooper). You're going to want to get as MUCH information out of these pros as possible. How did the game play out differently? How did power positions on the map change with no radar? Did you feel as if flanks were more successful or less successful? Questions like this.
  • Try to quantify the results. You want some evidence. Because that's what you're lacking right now.
  • Bonus points for creating a nice and easy to digest video / write-up on the merits of no radar.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "Pono, this is a TON of work. Why should I have to do this if the settings are so much better?" Frankly, in an ideal world, everyone would be down to gametype and settings test. But that's just not the case. The reason that the frequenters of this thread don't like the settings discussion is because we like the current settings. I like playing H5. I like watching H5. Are there better settings out there? Maybe. But I left my nostalgia glasses in the dust and I'm having a helluva fun time playing Halo 5. Present something new to the discussion on settings and I'm all ears.

We're still slightly tweaking settings, but after that we plan on actually trying to push it. Thank you for the recommendation.

I know people on here don't agree with me, but I play solo Arena all the time and it isn't that bad. I'm not quite a champ though so maybe that is why?

But I still always call out, even if people aren't calling out or talking back. A lot of the time about 1/4 of the way through the game people who were previously silent will join me.

Also if someone has a mic and is cool I will add them. I have been doing this for long enough now that I rarely get on without getting a party or game invite. 

I think im kinda cool. My tag is Zuzu, though im not on a ton these days. I also have a discord set up in my sig if youre interested for 8s and whatnot, no one really minds skill level if thats an issue

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's the problem. When you get to high onyx, all you do is match squads when solo. When your teammates have mics, they are usually in party chat and yes, I message them before the game starts to get out of it but they just ignore it and continue to play. Ironically enough, the ones that stay in seem to do the worse. However, I do admit that my post was mostly just salt; I was on a 8-game losing streak on one of my tags and I just lost my coo, so I apologize for that. 

Why would pros waste their time with testing unofficial settings? You act like it's easy to get 2 pro teams together to test settings and have discussions about it for hours when they have to practice the current settings all day to stay on top.

And there is no rational reason for having high bullet magnetism, slow ttk utilities, radar, large uninteresting maps and strong automatics in competitive settings except to appease casuals. We don't need to do tests to figure this out. These are staples of competitive Halo that have mostly been altered to accommodate one thing: sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Now you're just talking out of no where lol. Have you practiced any of the movement tech the community has figured out? If you're issue is that the game didn't intend these, than H2 having Double shot, quad shot, BXR, BXB and H1 havign Double melee, Backpack reload, etc are all not positives to the game. It was tech the community found, same with Bum Jumping, Bump Thrust, etc. 

Idk how you're gonna call these gimmicks when players (I havent watched Pro League so idk whats going on there) are literally moving around the map differently than other players would. Because unlike Joe shmoe, Players like Frosty, after practicing these "gimmicks" has added an arsenal of options on what he thinks is the best option. Gimmicks, I think in a video game sense are a 1 trick charm and really have no validity to it after players have seen it. Except you look at Frosty and he's bringing up new stuff that stays in the meta-game. Bum jumping is grabbing traction because you can do a lot more movement options faster. It's not a gimmick when you can go from Basement in Rig to Mid corner off a bump thrust, it's not a gimmick when you can get from courtyard in Fathom to Top mid, etc. There is no way you can say the tech players found as being just as good as normal Halo movement when you have instant access to areas that would be impossible in other Halo games. Just because you haven't learned how this game works in a movement sense doesn't mean that Thrust Slide, Bum jumping, bump thrust, etc are gimmicks when these options and tech have stayed in the top level (from the few streams I've seen lately which to be fair isn't much. But friends who do watch say it has not changed in that sense). Not to mention you're seeing a lot more weird stuff in h5 like in Coli you can jump from S3 to the top rock in Well and you can overlook Top Rockets, Cave, well, etc all while being in a generally nice and very unexpected position. 

I'm not sure how a physics glitch is bad. Lots of competitive games, one that are probably much harder than most games have physics glitches and it has been looked as a positive. Melee has wavedash for example but that's a pro to a game.

I'm not sure either how your strafe has much more "unique" capabilities over "Left-right crouch" but I guess when we talk in exaggeration no real conversation happens. I guess in H1 all you did was shoot 3 times and you got a kill too 

Stop down playing a specific games skill (in this sense movement skill) just because you don't understand how it works. If you don't like it, thats fine but you're talking out of straight innocence on a subject you are really showing you don't have much knowledge about. Which is fine, but don't complain about an aspect of a game you don't know much about. 

I love how your response is always "Have you practiced them, lol?!" You literally ALWAYS fucking assume I don't understand this stupid game and then go on a tangent listing a bunch of bullshit like I'm fucking ignorant. I don't know, man. MAYBE I JUST DISAGREE WITH YOU. I'm surprised you didn't bring up your favorite "thrust cancel" as well. Care to link to the "scrub mentality" article?  Fuck off.

Yes. I am familiar with these techniques and I've watched plenty of pro players, Frosty included. My problem is not that they are glitches. My problem is that they are exploits to mitigate the fact that the default, intended movement, map design, and settings are SHIT. Just like the instant power-up glitch got rid of the stupid animation. Just like the crouch-hopping mitigated the inherent problems with having motion tracker enabled in competitive. And every time these things get patched, we'll just go back to pretending it wasn't solving a core problem with the game's design and everything is peachy in competitive Halo. As for adding even MORE fucking routes through every map in addition to the at least 2 times more than we need that 343 intentionally crammed literally everywhere? Sure, let's pretend that the evolving meta is not trending more and more towards "complete clusterfuck."

Don't mind me. I'll go back to one of the threads where discussion of settings and settings changes can be had without it basically devolving into Waypoint-tier "adapt" and "git gud."

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Just making a quick post about all this, none of H5's redeeming factors are needed with the 'redeeming' factors of more classic Halo games. That's like saying someone went into H3 and gave it bleed through (which it really needed), and other players saying they weren't respecting the game. In my opinion anyway,

Walk into this thread and I feel like I'm the only one that actually enjoys Halo 5 the way it is not counting a few things...  :mj:

I really enjoy H5 for what it is. I just prefer these new CS settings more.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thank you for this.

Back to some actual pro league discussion. Does anyone feel like e6 isn't looking very strong coming into finals? They looked pretty good in the last week of the pro league, but their scrims results against Liquid have been pretty poor. I remember being blown away at how well Shooter played against CLG in the series they took from them in pro league. I haven't really seen the same Shooter since that series. I think he'll have to come up big on LAN for them to have a chance at 1st.

• Upvote (+1) 1

do you settings warriors even watch the hcs?

(srs question)

Yes. But does asking this really add, prove, or really change anything? I mean, I watch H5, play H5, and I enjoy the base game. I just prefer the CS settings. Not trying to be a warrior or anything, because I'll play both.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's the problem. When you get to high onyx, all you do is match squads when solo. When your teammates have mics, they are usually in party chat and yes, I message them before the game starts to get out of it but they just ignore it and continue to play. Ironically enough, the ones that stay in seem to do the worse. However, I do admit that my post was mostly just salt; I was on a 8-game losing streak on one of my tags and I just lost my coo, so I apologize for that. 

I mean I hover from Onyx 1800-2100, so not high onyx, but not lowest level either. The only issue that I do run into is when I solo queue and my teammates are all in a party and don't invite me. Whenever I run  with a team of 3 I always send a party invite to the random 4th before the game starts, but rarely if ever do I get the same courtesy when I am the solo player

• Upvote (+1) 2