CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

snip

Who are you to tell anybody what words they should or should not be triggered by? You clearly don't understand the psychological implications of people who have been affected by rape. I've had a family member suffer through it, and a close friend suffer through it as well, and they were terribly traumatic experiences for everyone involved, something neither of which has fully recovered from even after YEARS of therapy and medication. The context doesn't fucking matter, it's a terrible word and shouldn't be casually tossed around like it is. In most respects I agree with you, context is important, but this is just one of a handful of words that should be removed from EVERY gamers vernacular because of it's connotation alone.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Here is what I have so far. Feel free to make a request. I'd prefer to stick to teams/halo related stuff though.

5tVYwaS.png6qmXW4P.pngZCFPytB.png

V1vRI9a.pngR2bbCnk.png88yiIlr.png

pBHPYyg.pngbk1mJ4h.pngJ0CrrPp.png

So about that Milk post from Kory that wasn't actually milk yesterday.... Anyways, care to cook us up a C9 one?   :simms: Beyond%20Hearts.png

Edit: Also finding this post was ridiculous and I wish there were sorting options for +rep on posts so I can get to more popular ones easier. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Who are you to tell anybody what words they should or should not be triggered by? You clearly don't understand the psychological implications of people who have been affected by rape. I've had a family member suffer through it, and a close friend suffer through it as well, and they were terribly traumatic experiences for everyone involved, something neither of which has fully recovered from even after YEARS of therapy and medication. The context doesn't fucking matter, it's a terrible word and shouldn't be casually tossed around like it is. In most respects I agree with you, context is important, but this is just one of a handful of words that shouldn't be used casually like I said.

Who did I tell that, exactly? At what point did I say anything about people with legitimate trauma? At what point was I talking about the psychological implications of people affected by rape? I stand by what I said. You're making an emotional argument and I sympathize with your perspective, but calm down.

Just to be clear, you think speech needs to be self-censored on the off-chance that someone who has been traumatized by something (speaking generally here) might be triggered by it? I understand that it's terrible. I understand it has long-lasting effects. That doesn't mean that I support catering every public space to that fact. And who are we to say what words/sounds/sights in particular might trigger people? Several people have suggested "rekt," but what if someone watching the stream was in a particularly bad vehicular wreck? "Owned?" What if people watching to stream were forced into slavery or some similar, traumatic experience? Fuck, you could easily associate that with rape too. Who are you to determine what words ANYONE is triggered by? Maybe we should just mute the entire stream just to be safe. Where do you draw the line for accommodating a minority (and it is a minority, before someone trots out some scary statistics) of people with these kinds of psychological issues? Would it just be trauma that you specifically relate to, based on your personal experiences and relationships? At a certain point, is it unreasonable to expect that maybe they should avoid situations in which that particular trigger is likely to be encountered? It's not as if this particular colloquial usage of "rape" is obscure or new in any way. You say context doesn't matter, while justifying this with an EXTREMELY specific context.

Again, like I said, the organizations involved are well-within their power to regulate this stuff on-stage to foster whatever kind of environment they want to for their target audience. I just don't think there is a particularly strong ethical justification for doing so, no matter how many emotional or "adult" arguments are presented to that effect. I'm not unsympathetic. I just disagree.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 5

you don't actually want to discuss settings because if you did you would use the settings thread

u are just forever butt hurt about radar, 11%er till death amirite?

I have used the settings thread. I would rather talk about in a thread that pro players and developers are more likely to use. This has been explained to you before, though. It also happens to be more applicable to the thread topic and less vitriolic than a discussion about rape.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You guys have said the word more times in this discussion than people do trash talking. Lets end the discussion here.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This so much. Players that you love to hate are just as, if not more, entertaining than players you actually like. It's critical to developing storylines and giving motivation to tuning in every week, not just for the league but for the other aspects outside of the game. 

Cratos is especially entertaining because he isn't allowing himself to be boxed into the the typical "professional" image. Esports that let themselves get over moderated lose out on a lot of value. League of Legends was a lot more entertaining when you had players like Doublelift calling others trash rather than the typical "he's a good player and it will be a tough match" that you see all the time. There's a time and place for "smack talk" to help generate hype, it's why a lot of fights in UFC get hyped up.   

Precisely this, also with IdrA in Starcraft 2 ... so much interest in the scene dried up when he retired, just because he was the only SC2 pro that anyone could "love to hate."  

There's some days where you just become disappointed with some people. After reading these last few pages today is one of those days.

On the bright side C9 is back and NA Finals are in a few days so there's that!

• Upvote (+1) 1

If TSM made a team, I'd like to see TSM vs CLG finals. That would bring viewers in as CLG vs TSM is a huge rivalry in League of Legends.

• Upvote (+1) 1

eu top 8 again this worlds?

FabE has a chance. 

Hopefully rostermania isn't too crazy and somehow Warlord ends up on FabE.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Last year in the Asian finals for worlds a team won a slayer game 50-2 or something. Maybe an asian team will make top 8  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Out of all posts, mine gets deleted for saying radar is bad for competitive Halo?

Let's not turn into Waypoint please.

Wait, the mods and admins here are handwaving concerns about deeply offensive language and allowing people to post ignorant opinions completely divorced from reality, but you get a post deleted about radar?

Really TB? This is really disappointing. I don't care if you allow people to post stupid opinions about offensive words but why turn around and censor someone over something trivial then? And @@Frosty, we're not talking about saying the word at all, but the way it is used by competitive gamers. I don't see what the problem is with just discussing it? Don't you think it makes us look bad if an outsider comes here and sees us just ignoring an important conversation we need to have as a community?

I agree with @@RyanW, the past few pages here just disappoint the hell out of me. We're better than this. Like I said I don't have a problem with the word used in private, but if you can't see the problem with broadcasting dudes aggressively yelling it at other people during a video game tournament I don't know what else to say. Besides the "triggering" stuff I think it just makes our community look REALLY bad and immature especially with the media shitstorms that have descended on some gaming communities over far more trivial matters. The Street Fighter community had similar problems and also looked really stupid and cringeworthy to any outsider who saw people trying to defend the language they used a couple years ago. Just brushing this under the rug serves to help no one and perpetuates poor culture.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Last year in the Asian finals for worlds a team won a slayer game 50-2 or something. Maybe an asian team will make top 8  :kappa:

Or what about the team that went up a few kills on coli slayer and then hid under the map?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Or what about the team that went up a few kills on coli slayer and then hid under the map?

They had an awesome team name and tags. (Team Mi Seng) 

That wasn't an Asian team. It was a bunch of US HLG players.

• Upvote (+1) 5

There is no indication that it will be crowdfunded. There is another $1M tourney but the Team Skins may have become the replacement for funding.

No, Che Chou told me on Twitter that the plan is 2017 HWC will be crowdfunded, AFTER announcing that Team Skins are on the way.

No, Che Chou told me on Twitter that the plan is 2017 HWC will be crowdfunded, AFTER announcing that Team Skins are on the way.

Link? Che is fond of the word "soon" and I follow info drops very religiously and didn't see that.