CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I mean at some point there is a line, like if players were dropping the N word and f****t all the time would we just collectively say it's ok because context? I don't think new viewers would immediately recognize the context and understand it.

I'm not saying that we need a 1984 censorship of players comms but the real world does have boundaries that people don't cross without understanding that there can be consequences for what you say. 

PS: sorry about m'grammar

That's not really what I'm saying, no. I'm objecting to your simplification of semantics to justify overblown offense. Words have multiple meanings and context always matters. Your post is perfect example of the absolutely ridiculous power we give these words. When we're typing "the N word" and "f****t" to so much as reference the existence of these words. Anyone who would be offended in that context, to be frank, has problems. As does anyone who would think that "rape" in the context of people playing a videogame competitively is actually be referring to the literal act of rape. Don't drop the soap, Halo player. He means it! And, further, those are demographic slurs and "rape" is not. It's not equivalent.

That said, if they want to establish some basic broadcast standards for this stuff, I think it's fair to expect that players adhere to them. That's certainly within the power of these organizations to mandate, but I could do without the social and moral gymnastics used to justify the fear of "bad" words and feeling of superiority for personally not using them. Full disclosure: I've never actually said "rape" in that context.

I am also amused by the irony that this is generally referred to as "adult language," while you're apparently acting like a child if you use it. Oh, gosh darn. Being a fricking adult is so fun.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 6

I wish I could find that video of when @@MaNiaC got so many technicals for trash talk and couldn't play part of an Onslaught CTF game.

(they still won the game)

I didnt find that video, but this is just as good.

• Upvote (+1) 4

That's not really what I'm saying, no. I'm objecting to your simplification of semantics to justify overblown offense. Words have multiple meanings and context always matters. Your post is perfect example of the absolutely ridiculous power we give these words. When we're typing "the N word" and "f****t" to so much as reference the existence of these words. Anyone who would be offended in that context, to be frank, has problems. As does anyone who would think that "rape" in the context of people playing a videogame competitively is actually be referring to the literal act of rape. Don't drop the soap, Halo player. He means it! And, further, those are demographic slurs and "rape" is not. It's not equivalent.

That said, if they want to establish some basic broadcast standards for this stuff, I think it's fair to expect that players adhere to them. That's certainly within the power of these organizations to mandate, but I could do without the social and moral gymnastics used to justify the fear of "bad" words and feeling of superiority for personally not using them. Full disclosure: I've never actually said "rape" in that context.

I am also amused by the irony that this is generally referred to as "adult language," while you're apparently acting like a child if you use it. Oh, gosh darn. Being a fricking adult is so fun.

to be fair I did write out the words initially but they get starred out so I put just the first and last letter so you knew what I was talking about.

PS

at the end of the day for me it's about respect. Rape isn't something I have experienced but I respect that for some people that might be a real, traumatic thing that may have happened to them or someone they know. Like @@Commonly and @@TiberiusAudley have said, there are lots of other words that mean the same thing that don't potentially alienate a large swath of people. If there's a word that means the same thing but also doesn't have a huge negative connotation to it, why make it difficult? Just use the better word.

Can't believe I'm saying I agree with @@Cratos but a lot of live shows have a delay to just that. Watch wwe and when someone tries too say something out of line they bleep it.

I wish I could find that video of when @@MaNiaC got so many technicals for trash talk and couldn't play part of an Onslaught CTF game.

(they still won the game)

This happened? If someone finds this, link it.

Edit: Whoops it was already linked... My bad.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So is rape just like the one word that's too far? Like saying you shit on someone and taking that literally is pretty fucked up too. I mean, saying "I killed him" Saying you murdered someone. Why is saying rape the one thing that's just not okay? I don't get it. You might as well just say no trash talk at all because otherwise it's just weighing opinions on what word you find bad.

Also, as Arglactable said, you know what they mean. If you choose to get offended by a word being used in a way that's not that specific way then that's on you tbh. The entire English fucking language is words being used in different ways.

All in all its really not that serious. If someone says it and their org doesn't care then it's a non-issue. Stop acting like moral gods.

Because rape is more common than you realize, and victims are still alive to hear it and it's maybe just a teensy bit more traumatic than getting literally shit on?

Jesus Christ guys

• Upvote (+1) 8

Fine players for using inappropriate language and add that money to the prize pool :kappa::weback:

Nah, LCS handing of fines is the best: fines go to charity, not to Riot.

• Upvote (+1) 1

HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE. HALO 5 IS CURRENTLY THE #1 POST ON R/ALL THIS IS NOT A DRILL I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This argument about players saying "rape" is apparently more applicable to the hcs thread than talking about the hcs settings.

It honestly shouldn't even be a discussion. The community stands to lose nothing by dropping a couple negative words from our vocabulary that victims of said words will be unable to control bad thoughts about.

I deeply care about free speech but that doesn't mean we should defend the right to use it callously in a freaking vidya game tournament stream.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Swearing is going to happen but the use of the word "raped" has got to go.

That is unprofessional and you wouldn't hear actual professional athletes yelling that word.

If you're "caught" saying it during a listen in, you should be fined.

didn't @@TheSimms say something along the lines of a player "running a train" on the enemy team? isn't that basically rape talk? if not, where do you draw the line?

• Upvote (+1) 3

This argument about players saying "rape" is apparently more applicable to the hcs thread than talking about the hcs settings.

I'd rather talk about the hcs settings... Lol

• Upvote (+1) 3

The pro with the highest number of perfects/game is sitting at ~1. Chances are very good that the pistol player will miss 20%+ of their shots.

Second, on top of the fact that an AR is competing with a pistol in a straight 1v1, radar in this game makes it very easy to sit in a corner with one and wait for someone to walk by. Even worse w/ SMG or SR.

Yeah but if you took the accuracy of situations that are only close range against ar with pistol you would get a very different stat.

Yeah, I used to say it. Then I dated a girl who had been abused when she was younger and I realized that how incredibly shitty it was that she couldn't watch a stream of a tournament I was playing in without having that brought up again.

It's not about being "PC" or people just being "too sensitive" it's about having a tiny amount of consideration for people who have had a traumatizing and, like you said, surprisingly common experience.

Yup.

• Upvote (+1) 2

HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE. HALO 5 IS CURRENTLY THE #1 POST ON R/ALL THIS IS NOT A DRILL I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

Not sure whether to be happy, halo that is the biggest topic,

Or sad that it's about beer pong, instead of HCS.

This isn't exactly a rare occurrence. 

Happens every other week.

If this was about HCS then its a big deal, but beer pong? We know everyone on reddit loves their Halo 5 custom games. Yesterday, Noble Six was #1 on r/all. 

Everyone resume your normal stances. 

you don't actually want to discuss settings because if you did you would use the settings thread

u are just forever butt hurt about radar, 11%er till death amirite?

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 4