CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Below 2000 views on the stream where is the audience??? even with the Pro League i don't think we have peaked 10k.....Are we really :weback::thinking:

EU never really has had the viewership that NA has. Not to say that's acceptable but it just never has

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cool to see Halo streaming on Facebook. Already pulling in an extra 1.5k viewers.

While viewership this season (and overall in H5, save for HWC finals) has been disappointing, keep in mind it's a slow process. With that said, if H5 had the proper toolset for modern viewership (i.e. a proper observer mode, better production for Pro League and at tournaments, more content from pros and the developer alike, etc), it might be a different story. Instead, the aforementioned are all subpar. A stranger to Halo isn't going to tune in to a spectator-mode stream and say "wow, this is great production; I better stick around and see what this is all about." That changes for live tournaments, where we have a solid observer mode with an accurate reticule, modern esports overlay, cameras on the players, and more. Because of these issues, viewership has to build simply from interest in the game itself, which is difficult given Halo's and 343's recent history of disappointment. The spectator mode has done a lot of damage to halo 5 esports viewership, in my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I really want to know where the issue is. Is it a lack of advertisement?? No open events?? Schedule?? Its not like the game is not fun to watch. Correct me if im wrong but i remember last year we were pulling more views from H2A right?

No advertisement, small scene in EU, and its not even the finals yet. 

If the regulation is happening inside the studios why are they playing online instead of on LAN? That makes no sense to me.

It isn't. Relegation is online.

Finals tomorrow will be "on LAN" in the sense of the definition that there is no latency and perfect connectivity. They'll use a server that is in the studio. But @@Moyceyy is correct, there is no "true" built-in LAN support with the Xbox One.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can the viewership issues not just be explained by Halo being a Xbox only game?

It may seem a bit simplistic but it seems to explain a lot of the halo drop off in popularity (regardless of whether or not the quality of the Halo games have change).

Just a thought.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Below 2000 views on the stream where is the audience??? even with the Pro League i don't think we have peaked 10k.....Are we really  :weback:  :thinking:

To be honest that's really not bad. From what I saw the regular season EU Pro League usually had 1k - 1.5k viewers. Anything over 2K is a (small) success imo. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It may seem a bit simplistic but it seems to explain a lot of the halo drop off in popularity (regardless of whether or not the quality of the Halo games have change).

Just a thought.

Viewership can be explained by it being EU (read on before you hit that minus rep).

The way I look at it, some people tune in for the quality of play. I honestly feel like the quality of play for EU is there. But the vast majority of people tune in for the STORY LINES. They want to know if their favorite players are going to be relegated, win the finals, etc.

EU story lines are all but unknown to the vast majority of Halo fans. Wait until you see OpTic in relegation, guarantee there will be a huge viewer count because OG have built their own story lines with OpTic videos / vlogs / visions.

Story lines and player attachment is so critical to viewer success. The reason OpTic is so successful (IMO) is because everyone gets attached to the individual players. When you see all the videos, you realize the pro players are just like you and me.

If we saw videos put out by 343 or the individual orgs hyping up story lines or giving inside looks into the teams, there'd be a lot more viewer attachment.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Viewership can be explained by it being EU.

The way I look at it, some people tune in for the quality of play. But the vast majority of people tune in for the STORY LINES. They want to know if their favorite players are going to be relegated, win the finals, etc.

EU story lines are all but unknown to the vast majority of Halo fans. Wait until you see OpTic in relegation, guarantee there will be a huge viewer count because OG have built their own story lines with OpTic videos / vlogs / visions.

Story lines and player attachment is so critical to viewer success. The reason OpTic is so successful (IMO) is because everyone gets attached to the individual players. When you see all the videos, you realize the pro players are just like you and me.

If we saw videos put out by 343 hyping up story lines, there'd be a lot more viewer attachment.

I was referring to general low viewership across the regions.

That being said I don't disagree with your points.

EU Relegation Summary:

-Dinos Extinct

-Some Frenchies do some stuff

-Pulse wins WB final

-Dinos start to come back from the dead

-Dinos officially un-extinct and in Pro league, sweeping the team they earlier lost to (We Know The Secret)

Additional Notes:

-How does the scattershot work? Nobody knows

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not sure why you guys care about stream numbers when we have 7.9 million Halo eSports enthusiasts in the world.

Anyways, great stream today from the guys in the UK!

Very good point!

....it's incredible how easily statistics can be manipulated :)

i'm glad we hit almost 2k

i hope we hit 5k tomorrow

next season i hope we hit 7.5-10k

it's gonna take time, if we had a big eu scene there would be no question if we were back

• Upvote (+1) 1

i'm glad we hit almost 2k

i hope we hit 5k tomorrow

next season i hope we hit 7.5-10k

it's gonna take time, if we had a big eu scene there would be no question if we were back

The Twitch stream did hit 2K for a little while. + the 1.5K from Facebook and it wasn't a bad showing for EU Halo :^)

• Upvote (+1) 1

were is the halo eports journalism? MLG use to write a fair amount. Kind of like team Liquid is to Starcraft. Somewere I can go to read about gsl updates and articles. As well as expert advise and history of the game, pro player interviews and such? Were would I go to read a clear brief article about eu proleague?

were is the halo eports journalism? MLG use to write a fair amount. Kind of like team Liquid is to Starcraft. Somewere I can go to read about gsl updates and articles. As well as expert advise and history of the game, pro player interviews and such? Were would I go to read a clear brief article about eu proleague?

Esports doug writes us nice stuff in ESPN, ESL does their fair share of write ups, and GAMURs writes about us too. proleague.com/halo is a good place to go. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The real test for viewership is next week to see how much hype has been retained from Worlds.

With how fickle esports can be it's hard to pinpoint but personally I'd go with the lack of infrastructure. Halo had it's moment under the sun with MLG but once that went away there wasn't really the passion in the industry to pick up the slack as it were. Take a new game like Overwatch you already have so much interest from ESL / Faceit + Eleague / Gosu with MLG having a little peep in the background releasing content. Obviously there's a friendly rivalry between these companies but the end goal is to push it as far as they can, every time one company does a large event and makes a breakthrough the rest benefit from the increase in interest. Also even before you start to factor in the team Orgs, the tournament organizers have a lot of reach on their own.

Just a thought.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the competitive scene if Halo 6 will be available on PC too, both from the viewers and the Pro players perspective.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just a thought.

In general, I think this is huge. The Xbox One is a fine console, but nothing about it jumps out at you and is other-worldly. The only reason I have an Xbox is for Halo, I'm sure the halo fanbase has lost a lot of players to PC and PS4 respectively because they didn't see the value.

It isn't. Relegation is online.

Finals tomorrow will be "on LAN" in the sense of the definition that there is no latency and perfect connectivity. They'll use a server that is in the studio. But @@Moyceyy is correct, there is no "true" built-in LAN support with the Xbox One.

Still wish they'd allow you to use P2P for customs. Would make putting on private "LANs" much easier, and as buggy as the lobbies were in MCC, when P2P actually worked it was solid.

I mean, I hugely doubt the NA Pro League finals will get more than NA Regionals.

NA regionals averaged at about 30,000 the entire weekend.

I reckon NA finals will get over 20,000. 4 teams in a final will not get more viewers than 16 teams in the MLG Arena.

• Upvote (+1) 2