CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I like it, and I think, given the landscape of H5, it makes the most sense. There just isn't the player base to have the huge LAN events (and circuit) that MLG used to do. It doesn't help that H5 isn't a game that is innately easy to set up on LAN. The only thing I'd probably recommend, would be some way to incorporate a semi-pro aspect into the current scene. I was never able to make it to an event, but it was seeing player(s) & teams claw their way throughout the year, and breakout into Top 32, Top 16, and Top 8. It was exciting and fun to cheer on.

I agree, I like the amateur scene, and things like the HWC kept people really playing. If there are some good live events, or things like the "Last Chance Qualifier", it could go a long way to keeping the pro scene fresh. I heard that Halo 5 has had pretty good player retention. I hope they keep up the incentive for people to keep trying to get better at this game. It's refreshing to see the contrast between this and Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I dunno anymore if you can 'convince' people to make consistent content. It's hard and it doesn't pay dividends nearly as much as people seem to want, meaning the only time you get people to create content is when they're truly passionate about doing so (a la Vetoed). 

In other words, pros should definitely give content creation a try with the mindset that it's something to do to give back to the community rather than something to make money on. If it's done well, and done consistently, the material benefits (revenue, building a following) to a certain degree, will show themselves. So if a pro isn't willing to do it for the community (which is totally fine), they shouldn't feel obligated to do it at all. 

Let's be real, this is Halo. No one will ever get millions of views barring an unforseen explosion in popularity. If you're not part of Optic you probably won't make any real money off youtube anyway. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo peeps can't except to make money off of youtube right away, that's not how it works. You don't get an audience because you're pro. You have to be consistent and eventually your audience will grow. Look at Maniac before he joined OpTic compared to now. He obviously had the benefit of being with a top tier org but he still was pretty shit at youtube but he kept making videos consistently and now I'm pretty sure he makes a living off of it, or at least a decent amount. It's definitely harder to do this when you aren't living with a bunch of other gamers though. Would love to see the guys with team houses start making consistent content. The guys on EnVy are in a great spot for this. Not only living with their teammates but they've also got guys from other games in the same area (I'd think).

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo peeps can't except to make money off of youtube right away, that's not how it works. You don't get an audience because you're pro. You have to be consistent and eventually your audience will grow. Look at Maniac before he joined OpTic compared to now. He obviously had the benefit of being with a top tier org but he still was pretty shit at youtube but he kept making videos consistently and now I'm pretty sure he makes a living off of it, or at least a decent amount. It's definitely harder to do this when you aren't living with a bunch of other gamers though. Would love to see the guys with team houses start making consistent content. The guys on EnVy are in a great spot for this. Not only living with their teammates but they've also got guys from other games in the same area (I'd think).

Its not the expectation, but without a large fan base (which is something H5 does suffer from), I know if I was pro, it'd be hard for me to justify taking time away from playing/streaming (revenue driving tasks) to potentially make some money, you know?

I dunno anymore if you can 'convince' people to make consistent content. It's hard and it doesn't pay dividends nearly as much as people seem to want, meaning the only time you get people to create content is when they're truly passionate about doing so (a la Vetoed). 

In other words, pros should definitely give content creation a try with the mindset that it's something to do to give back to the community rather than something to make money on. If it's done well, and done consistently, the material benefits (revenue, building a following) to a certain degree, will show themselves. So if a pro isn't willing to do it for the community (which is totally fine), they shouldn't feel obligated to do it at all. 

Let's be real, this is Halo. No one will ever get millions of views barring an unforseen explosion in popularity. If you're not part of Optic you probably won't make any real money off youtube anyway. 

Tbh streaming brings in a lot more dividends (now at least) for Halo pros. Its easier to set up, subs pay monthly, and you are getting practice while making content. Plus pros streaming brings in new fans to Halo. Trying to grind YouTube won't reap immediate benefits. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm 110% sure SnakeBite doesn't play Arena with subs. He plays Warzone.

I've played arena with dadbite as well as sub 8s against that scrub team frosty tried to beat us with.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Its not the expectation, but without a large fan base (which is something H5 does suffer from), I know if I was pro, it'd be hard for me to justify taking time away from playing/streaming (revenue driving tasks) to potentially make some money, you know?

That's part of the issue though. Had we as a community had a large following on youtube from the beginning maybe Halo would be more popular? I feel like a big reason for CoD blowing up/staying relevant was due to the youtube community as a whole. 

If you're a Halo pro right now and you want to do this fulltime, you may as well start with youtube now and try to grow the game. Who knows, maybe in 2-3 years the game is huge. If you've built up your audience for the years before it gets bigger you'll be making more money with it than someone who just starts up once its big. You'll already have a fan base.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can excuse the ones with full time jobs with not making content, but I feel like if you're a pro and your job is only halo you're shooting yourself in the foot by not making content. I'm hella jealous of all the pros that can make some kind of living with prize money + streaming. Add youtube to that,  (two hours probably out of your day at first) you can probably set yourself up for the future. Lord knows I can't wait to retire.

• Upvote (+1) 7

COD is double elim now for those that cared and compared.

Was that what we were all complaining about the other day? Or does hcs na finals not have double elim?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can excuse the ones with full time jobs with not making content, but I feel like if you're a pro and your job is only halo you're shooting yourself in the foot by not making content. I'm hella jealous of all the pros that can make some kind of living with prize money + streaming. Add youtube to that,  (two hours probably out of your day at first) you can probably set yourself up for the future. Lord knows I can't wait to retire.

Making HQ content isn't as easy as it seems and its not fun for everyone. For example, to make a good tage it'll take 30-40 hours in Vegas or Premiere Pro. Vegas costs $800. 

As the Arbiter once said, "Were it so easy."

• Upvote (+1) 2

Was that what we were all complaining about the other day? Or does hcs na finals not have double elim?

HCS Finals and Relegation tournaments are both double elim.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do any of you realize how much time and effort goes into creating quality content?  And what content specifically do you want them to make?  

There are already so many community videos that are released weekly that pretty much cover all of the bases, I'm not really sure what else all of you could listen to.  Even with the 3-4 different consistent community content sources, they are all extremely repetitive and discuss the same things. (No disrespect to any content creators, keep doing what you're doing).

But be realistic here, it's a 2 month season, with only 8 teams to discuss (of which 2 teams can't compete with the top 6 so talking about them is useless imo).  There's matches two nights a week, with five days in between.  How much content are you guys expecting in a five-day period between league matches?

There's only so much you can talk about.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

Do any of you realize how much time and effort goes into creating quality content? And what content specifically do you want them to make?

There are already so many community videos that are released weekly that pretty much cover all of the bases, I'm not really sure what else all of you could listen to. Even with the 3-4 different consistent community content sources, they are all extremely repetitive and discuss the same things. (No disrespect to any content creators, keep doing what you're doing).

But be realistic here, it's a 2 month season, with only 8 teams to discuss (of which 2 teams can't compete with the top 6 so talking about them is useless imo). There's matches two nights a week, with five days in between. How much content are you guys expecting in a five-day period between league matches?

Halo isn't the only thing they can make content of.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo isn't the only thing they can make content of.

Finally, someone says it. I've been seriously wondering when we were going to get another eating video.

Do any of you realize how much time and effort goes into creating quality content?  And what content specifically do you want them to make?  

There are already so many community videos that are released weekly that pretty much cover all of the bases, I'm not really sure what else all of you could listen to.  Even with the 3-4 different consistent community content sources, they are all extremely repetitive and discuss the same things. (No disrespect to any content creators, keep doing what you're doing).

But be realistic here, it's a 2 month season, with only 8 teams to discuss (of which 2 teams can't compete with the top 6 so talking about them is useless imo).  There's matches two nights a week, with five days in between.  How much content are you guys expecting in a five-day period between league matches?

Doesn't need to be strictly video game content.. 

edit: ^^^^^^^

i'm sure you're gonna get real far in life with that attitude!

boo hard work

• Upvote (+1) 1

Making HQ content isn't as easy as it seems and its not fun for everyone. For example, to make a good tage it'll take 30-40 hours in Vegas or Premiere Pro. Vegas costs $800. 

As the Arbiter once said, "Were it so easy."

You can't use a montage as a frame of reference as this is totally different than the content they would be making. Daily vlogs, gameplay reviews, an update on how the team is doing, with this weeks leagues matches, how are we preparing for next weeks, or next tournament etc. As I said above, if halo is your only job, you can wake up in the morning and dedicate an hour or two to this. Go look at gandhi's channel, the dude legit just hit record on OBS talked, and hit stop recording and uploaded. I use to upload youtube videos, but working 50+ hours is shitty lol.  

How so?

because it would grow the scene

halo is bigger in latin america than asia (and it's a lot closer)

two teams = incentive 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I've played arena with dadbite as well as sub 8s against that scrub team frosty tried to beat us with.

Well I'm not a huge viewer of @SnakeBite streams, but maybe he can clear something up for me?

I do specifically remember someone asking him to do Sub Arena and he said something like "No, you know I don't do that."

He could have been messing around. I also could have heard him incorrectly.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well I'm not a huge viewer of @SnakeBite streams, but maybe he can clear something up for me?

I do specifically remember someone asking him to do Sub Arena and he said something like "No, you know I don't do that."

He could have been messing around. I also could have heard him incorrectly.

I subbed to Snakebite for a couple months and he did some arena with viewers every now and then on an alt account, but never consistently.

• Upvote (+1) 3

because it would grow the scene

halo is bigger in latin america than asia (and it's a lot closer)

two teams = incentive 

I get the fact that Latin America is a big market with a lot of untapped potential, but they don't necessarily deserve two HWC spots. Maybe a Pro league and a lot more attention to grow the scene there, but HWC spots should be for the best. Growing the scene there to foster the talent should be a priority. THey are doing it in South Africa, ANZ, and Asia. 

You can't use a montage as a frame of reference as this is totally different than the content they would be making. Daily vlogs, gameplay reviews, an update on how the team is doing, with this weeks leagues matches, how are we preparing for next weeks, or next tournament etc. As I said above, if halo is your only job, you can wake up in the morning and dedicate an hour or two to this. Go look at gandhi's channel, the dude legit just hit record on OBS talked, and hit stop recording and uploaded. I use to upload youtube videos, but working 50+ hours is shitty lol.  

I mean they could, but not everyone wants to talk in front of a camera and vlog. YouTube isn't the only place to grow Halo videos. Instagram/Twitter/and Periscope are viable places for growth. 

• Upvote (+1) 1