CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

This is the BIGGEST reason I prefer Double Elim. When you have tiered payouts for the teams that don't win, Single elim makes no sense. If the second best team at the event gets knocked out in the semis by CLG, they miss out on a substantial amount of money that's meant for the 2nd best team. The argument that 'The goal is to win' sounds nice, but again the prizing is laid out in the assumption that the teams deserve their placement.

So much this. Everyone arguing that IRL sports use single-elim need to take into account both the tiered payouts, and the fact that winnings are the primary source of income for most pro Halo players and that is not at all the case with traditional sports. Using an NBA example since that's what I'm most familiar with, the average NBA player makes more in yearly salary than the entire prize pool of the NBA playoffs (which is distributed among all 16 teams).

I knew you'd come around eventually, Moses.

So how do you propose we demand no-radar?

i propose you guys raise a shit load of money and try to bribe the devs

because that's the only* way we are going to get no radar

*or if the pros unanimously agreed no radar was better (but they don't)

yeah! lets #Discuss a problem that doesn't exist instead of one that actually does!

Lol... I'm pretty sure the only reason the single elim discussion even happenned was because somebody menioned it about COD and somehow it ended up being about Halo.

lol, could you imaging the casting around game 9 when they have ran out of things to say?

I think we'd just revert back to mentioning how much of a life changing amount of money is on the line.

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Anyone want to test a problem I've been having in theater mode? I've noticed things were slow throughout the game, not by much but noticeable to me. I then looked at the game clock and it looked weird as well. Can a few people who have nothing better to do run a stopwatch while looking at a theater game and see if there's a difference between game timer and a real world timer? So far I have noticed about a 10 second difference for every minute in game.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Anyone want to test a problem I've been having in theater mode? I've noticed things were slow throughout the game, not by much but noticeable to me. I then looked at the game clock and it looked weird as well. Can a few people who have nothing better to do run a stopwatch while looking at a theater game and see if there's a difference between game timer and a real world timer? So far I have noticed about a 10 second difference for every minute in game.

I believe that's a known bug with theater/spectator mode. Are you thinking that the actual in-game clock gets out of sync as well?

It's a bug since the last patch, when @@Clicked and @@FrankTheShow casted last week their FFA game ended up 1 minute apart from each other at the end of the finals.

• Upvote (+1) 2

yeah! lets #Discuss a problem that doesn't exist instead of one that actually does!

What problem are you referring to that doesn't exist. And why did you need a hashtag?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I had a game a few minutes ago where there was a difference of 10 minutes in a 15 minute game.. Game was unplayable..

This was the game, 150 - 0 for a 15,5 minute game..

http://halotracker.com/h5/games/joram/3d72c8db-90b6-4e07-bfb6-01398edf6148?page=0

• Downvote (-1) 2

I think people aren't understanding the shift in the esports landscape, tournament organizers are moving formats more inline with traditional sporting model to make it easier for the viewer to watch. In what major sporting competition can you watch a team/player lose in an elimination match & still come back to win the tournament? It's confusing for the average joe, who's used to traditional sports model, to get to grips with how the system works and whether people believe it or not, it's an unnecessary barrier and may put people off. This way it's more accessible for 'joe public' to engage and connect with esports.

I don't like it, but I understand it

I don't feel like double elimination is all that hard to understand for anybody who has done anything remotely competitive before. My 5th grade homeroom class did ping pong tournaments every Friday afternoon (like someone else mentioned for the P.E. class) and it was double elimination. It isn't a hard concept.

Single elimination is fine in my opinion as long as the seeding accurately represents team performance. I don't think that an online pro league seeds super accurately for LAN. LCS playoffs are single elimination series, but they also play their entire season on LAN and so the standings from the split are an accurate representation of how the teams have performed. Double elimination just makes sense for Halo right now because we are going from online league -> LAN. If the pro league was hosted on LAN like the finals, it wouldn't be an issue to do single elim in my opinion. Or vice versa and the finals were held online.

Honestly though, it's been frustrating to keep up with the pro league. There hasn't been transparency from ESL and I think it's abysmal that we have no rule book to consult. Fixing spectator mode and releasing all of the rules for season 2 would make the HCS feel less like a chore. 

So much this. Everyone arguing that IRL sports use single-elim need to take into account both the tiered payouts, and the fact that winnings are the primary source of income for most pro Halo players and that is not at all the case with traditional sports. Using an NBA example since that's what I'm most familiar with, the average NBA player makes more in yearly salary than the entire prize pool of the NBA playoffs (which is distributed among all 16 teams).

Tennis uses single elim and tiered payouts does it not?

LCS playoffs are single elimination series, but they also play their entire season on LAN and so the standings from the split are an accurate representation of how the teams have performed. Double elimination just makes sense for Halo right now because we are going from online league -> LAN. If the pro league was hosted on LAN like the finals, it wouldn't be an issue to do single elim in my opinion. Or vice versa and the finals were held online.

I appreciate your comparison to LCS, but they honestly have no choice but to play on LAN due to people DDoSing players. They've even had to move some of the challenger series to LAN because people were losing very important games due to DDoS. If they were able to play online, I'm not sure how much different the seeding would actually be at the end of the split.

Do we have single elimination tournaments coming up or are we just discussing this because the CoD community is?

Do we have single elimination tournaments coming up or are we just discussing this because the CoD community is?

because cod

finals will be double elim

Soooo no Optic if they get relegated  :apg:

EDIT: Please Hecz buy RNGs place in the Pro League we need Optic in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So theoretically, if Optic get relegated, could the org buy out the current RNG spot and acquire that roster? I've read that the RNG org is dead and the players are just playing out the rest of their contracts.

I feel like that would be Optic's best option if they want to keep a pro halo team. Unless they can somehow build a team around snip3down if he parts ways with EG.

Yeah i have been watching him play a lot lately and i think he might have one of the best shots in the game right now.  Dude's a beast.  I still wish we had seen what that old Denial squad could have done if they stayed together.

He led the league in Perfect Kills per game, Austin said his shot is crazy

I don't feel like double elimination is all that hard to understand for anybody who has done anything remotely competitive before. My 5th grade homeroom class did ping pong tournaments every Friday afternoon (like someone else mentioned for the P.E. class) and it was double elimination. It isn't a hard concept.

Yeah, if my drunk-ass softball league can handle double-elim, anybody can understand it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I appreciate your comparison to LCS, but they honestly have no choice but to play on LAN due to people DDoSing players. They've even had to move some of the challenger series to LAN because people were losing very important games due to DDoS. If they were able to play online, I'm not sure how much different the seeding would actually be at the end of the split.

Regardless of why they play the season on LAN, they do play it on LAN and I think that's a big distinction. Their whole season is played on a singular format but Halo is moving back and forth. Maybe the standings would be different and maybe they wouldn't be, but LCS doesn't have to wonder about that because it's a non-issue for them.

Halo at 19:15

Maniac saying the players on Optic can be top 3.

No, they can't. Stop lying to yourself.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Things are bleak for optic.  I wonder if they're gonna disband the team and try to acquire new players or if they're going to just give up on optic halo entirely.