CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

It's not about what you find "exciting" it's about maintaining competitive integrity. If you dont think double elim is a better tournament structure, ESPECIALLY when different places get different amounts of money, then I don't know what to say to you. Double elim in a game as short as Halo is a must.

if the decision of tournament format was truly about "maintaining competitive integrity" then we would be using a round robin system instead of an elimination tournament 

esports is a business, never forget that

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah Hungrybox fighting his way through losers bracket and resetting the bracket in grand finals was so boring. 

that shit was wild

• Upvote (+1) 2

that shit was wild

No way man teams not being able to claw their way back from losers is so boring I'd much rather see a team lose once and never hear from them again it's way better for storylines. 

Yeah Hungrybox fighting his way through losers bracket and resetting the bracket in grand finals was so boring.

was our series vs rng at worlds anywhere near as emotional clutch amazing any other words if it was double elim? I swear I seen 20 people crying after it. Both work. Halo works with double but halo works with single as well
  • Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 7

was our series vs rng at worlds anywhere near as emotional clutch amazing any other words if it was double elim? I swear I seen 20 people crying after it. Both work. Halo works with double but halo works with single as well

I can't remember it so I guess not. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 19

I can't remember it so I guess not.

you would've remembered If it happened in losers tho.
  • Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Or Infiltration resetting the bracket and then bodied his opponent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How are you so wrong all the time?

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 7

single elim is more exciting imo

I understand where you might be coming from here but i just cant get over the fact that in single elim the closest match ups are almost never played. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

you would've remembered If it happened in losers tho.

That's literally the point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There is NOTHING wrong with having a single elimination tournament to end a pro league season.

The issue at world was the seeding. After the group stages, the bracket was arranged semi-randomly. That would be fine if finding the single best team was the only goal- but there were multiple prizes, and nothing was done to ensure that the two best teams didn't meet early on. Double elimination would have been the only way to mitigate that.

Now that teams have had an entire season to establish their standing, the previous issue is no longer existent. The randomness is no longer at play.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

There is NOTHING wrong with having a single elimination tournament to end a pro league season.

The issue at world was the seeding. After the group stages, the bracket was arranged semi-randomly. That would be fine if finding the single best team was the only goal- but there were multiple prizes, and nothing was done to ensure that the two best teams didn't meet early on. Double elimination would have been the only way to mitigate that.

Now that teams have had an entire season to establish their standing, the previous issue is no longer existent. The randomness is no longer at play.

Double elim is more exciting... More chances for story lines to come into play and new ones to be formed..

There's absolutely zero reason to have single elimination in a FOUR TEAM TOURNAMENT.

I really am getting tired explaining this over and over.

This is Halo, and especially Halo 5, the games are fast. Double elim, if planned right, would work fine.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is it bo5 or bo7? Single elim bo7 is fine in my opinion since teams have had all season to compete for seeding. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I agree with you 100% on this. Double round robin is the best way to seed teams for a tournament. If your team has to face CLG first round, it's your fault for not getting it done against the lower teams and winning a series or two against the better teams. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with double elim, but if it was single elim bo7 I would completely understand.

• Upvote (+1) 2

radar discussion followed by single/double elim discussion

Groundhog Day is real and I am living in it h h h h o l y s h i t

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is it bo5 or bo7? Single elim bo7 is fine in my opinion since teams have had all season to compete for seeding. 

Only ESL knows. We still have NO details about series/maps/vetoes for the finals.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo players have earning potential from orgs, streams, pro leagues, and tournaments.

A huge proportion of that earning potential has come from tournaments. Double elimination is a good way to ensure their final placing is comparable to how they performed. Single elimination does that for first place only.... and the rest is a crap shoot depending on who faces who and when.  

I feel pro players should be given the opportunity to earn their placings (and in turn money) in the most fair way possible... and that is with double elimination.

Halo players have earning potential from orgs, streams, pro leagues, and tournaments.

A huge proportion of that earning potential has come from tournaments. Double elimination is a good way to ensure their final placing is comparable to how they performed. Single elimination does that for first place only.... and the rest is a crap shoot depending on who faces who and when.  

I feel pro players should be given the opportunity to earn their placings (and in turn money) in the most fair way possible... and that is with double elimination.

As someone pointed out earlier, the most fair would be a round robin. Everyone plays everyone.