CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Are you referring to id being bought by Bethesda/Zenimax, or Tencent taking control of Epic?

Is Epic really relevant without CliffyB?

I mean, they've gone to making MOBAs now.

Meanwhile, CliffyB is making this:

• Upvote (+1) 2

That was actually the most enjoyable series of Cod I've ever seen. Probably will watch more tourneys, as long as optic is on stream :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 6

wow, not much in gaming more exciting than game 7 round 11 SnD... :apg:

To make this relevant to Halo, I'll say that I think Breakout had/(has?) the potential to provide similar craziness, although it obviously didn't work and needed to be taken out the way it was implemented.

People have said this before, but adding a ball/flag objective could make all the difference.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So much esports ugh, been AFK all weekend.

Anyone got a TLDR of current roster mania? xxxx

I thought you had the intel?  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Are you referring to id being bought by Bethesda/Zenimax, or Tencent taking control of Epic?

Yeah I accidentally mixed the devs up, meant id (RIP in peace)

I may be unedcuated swine, but I find it really difficult to differentiate between different MOBAs aside from some being fps?

You'd pretty much have to play them/read up on them heavily to know the differences.

The main two (DotA2/LoL) have the same general map layout, and LoL's major "boss" on the map (Baron Nashor) is actually named specifically to be an anagram of DotA's on-map boss (Roshan).

DotA was made originally in Warcraft 3, so there were a lot of engine restrictions and "unintended features" like the ability to kill one of your own units to keep the enemy from getting gold or as much experience for it (Denying).  When DotA2 was made, the community desperately wanted it to be EXACTLY LIKE THE ORIGINAL DOTA, so those unintended engine shortcomings became intentional design.

LoL was made from the ground up not to have those unintuitive features, and to appeal to a more casual audience while having a more "wholesome" design, where everything is supposed to be easier to pick up and learn.  But, after about 6 years of constant introduction of new mechanics, they've gotten really far away from that and it's a jumbled mess too.

Main differences between DotA2 and LoL

• DotA2 items are much more impactful in-game and can have dramatic changes to a character's abilities with new active abilities.  Whereas LoL's are more like stat sticks that buff up strengths your character already had.
  • DotA2 strategy is more focused on skirmishes and accruing small advantages or shutting characters down.  LoL strategy is focused on out-rotating opponents and building up advantages through objective leads.
  • DotA2 skill usage is on LONG COOLDOWNS with HIGH MANA COSTS, so there is a lot of "right clicking" for damage.  LoL skill usage is generally on much shorter cooldowns, with less punitive mana costs (or sometimes none at all), so it's more about outplaying your opponents than playing your cards right.
  • LoL has much more mobility within the game.

Heroes of Newerth was basically supposed to be S2Games' version of a DotA carbon copy with a few unique characters of their own design, but when DotA2 came out, HoN was made obsolete.

Smite is 3D over the shoulder, and you play as actual mythological gods.

I dunno which other ones to name, but I've reviewed a ton for GameSpot and they all try to carbon copy their predecessors and fail miserably.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Picks and bans in Halo would be for banning a map/gametype and wouldn't have to take minutes on stream like it does in CoD. The casters could simply say X team banned these 2 gametypes and picked these 2 gametypes. Here's the gametypes that will be used in this Bo7. Ideally I'd like to see for pro league:

1. Each team bans 2 of the 13 maps/gametypes.

2. Each team picks 2 of the 13 maps/gametypes.

3. That leaves 5 options for the random other 3 gametypes to be selected.

Obviously just original thoughts and it could be tweaked.

Not a big fan because we'll only see the same few gametypes, which ma be a good thing because we'll see less Eden Slayer and Empire Strongholds, but I think if we're going to be doing vetoes we need breakout back. The gametype may be flawed but the idea is cool. I think reworking weapon layouts and making it so you don't spawn with grenades could help fix the gametype.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@EagleBurn

CS, while it may not have been as popular or as "cool", was still a great tactical shooter. There's a reason its alive now and Quake/UT isn't.

CSGO had Halo 4 tier population numbers for a long time after launch

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=730&from=0

It wasn't the gameplay that made the game relevant. It was the updates/support that Valve provided.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Re the previous discussions: I believe the final peak viewership for the CoD Season 1 Playoffs was ~230k (twitch, in game viewer, and youtube). Yes, there is still a gap.

It wasn't the gameplay that made the game relevant. It was the updates/support that Valve provided.

CSGO itself wasn't super popular but CS has been around for longer than just CSGO. 

CSGO was improved vastly with updates which is why we're at where we are today (like you said). The game was good, but it was hidden under some misteps. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

CSGO itself wasn't super popular but CS has been around for longer than just CSGO. 

CSGO was improved vastly with updates which is why we're at where we are today (like you said). The game was good, but it was hidden under some misteps. 

Only reason CS really dropped off a ton in the first place was CS source, really sucked. But yes CSGO was improved a ton by updates.

Edit: Not related to your post Vin, but Dota >>> LoL. Both because of Dota being more difficult and the community not being quite as toxic.

wow, not much in gaming more exciting than game 7 round 11 SnD... :apg:

To make this relevant to Halo, I'll say that I think Breakout had/(has?) the potential to provide similar craziness, although it obviously didn't work and needed to be taken out the way it was implemented.

People have said this before, but adding a ball/flag objective could make all the difference.

Breakout itself isnt bad, but when you put it in the middle of a series, and it takes so long to finish, it's a problem

and here I was thinking the only difference between LoL and Dota was that one of them looked more cartoony  :kappa:

Re the previous discussions: I believe the final peak viewership for the CoD Season 1 Playoffs was ~230k (twitch, in game viewer, and youtube). Yes, there is still a gap.

Considering cod is a multi-platform game, has a much bigger casual audience, and the fact that halo was dead a little over a year ago the gap should probably be bigger. That game has been stagnating ever since blops 2 while we have been on the rise. Just think 3 years ago cod was getting basically the same viewership while we were lucky to break 10k. So we aint doing too bad all things considered.  B)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Breakout itself isnt bad, but when you put it in the middle of a series, and it takes so long to finish, it's a problem

Should breakout take the place of an OBJ or a Slayer? I would say slayer but then we only have one Slayer in a series. If we put it in place of an OBJ we have the same problems we were having with the OQs where series were too slayer oriented with Breakouts and Slayers in a series

I find CoD entertaining to watch, but it is sooooo fast paced when it's not SnD. If you don't play the game or know the maps it can be very hard to follow along or know what is happening. I think that although H5 has increased the speed of Halo, the game is still a good speed for a noob to watch and understand what is going on. 

Now we just need OpTic to make finals so that more noobs will watch and enjoy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

in spartan's chat

gPNqc1O.png

i guess that means bubu is gone? That sucks because Spartan/Bubu/Cntra/Devon would have been a sick team

Should breakout take the place of an OBJ or a Slayer? I would say slayer but then we only have one Slayer in a series. If we put it in place of an OBJ we have the same problems we were having with the OQs where series were too slayer oriented with Breakouts and Slayers in a series

I dont know how to do it since it takes so long. I do think because of its length, it has to replace an obj game not a slayer, probably stronghold.

Another variation could have a bomb (excuse me, ball, since 343 doesnt like the word bomb these days) replace the flag, and make it like SnD.

Most pro CS players hated CSGO for a long time in beta and at launch...Valve had to make some concessions.

But the thing that made the population boom was cases.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Shots fired at Lethul from Snip3down: "Suspector has the best communication I've had from a teammate in a really really long time." 

Kappa

On a more positive note: I love the fact that Towey/Snip3down addressed the questions or assumptions going on in the forums. It shows that they actually read and care about what we say, which in return, makes us feel closer to them. 

• Upvote (+1) 1