CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Absolutely, but he used EG as a reference when putting up a fight against CLG as how close the teams were :P

Maybe I worded it poorly, but those were two different points. My point was that EG seems to have declined since that scrim despite increasing their play time and playing together. But I'm not at all surprised to see them getting beat by a lot of the teams because everyone is so damn good at this game right now  :intensifies: . 

Edit: I checked back at the post and I absolutely did word it poorly.  :mj:

Really hope EG can pull off a win tonight. That @@Towey video made me have feelings again, Like some kind of 14-year-old kid. You remember feelings, right?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Shit wtf we were talking about /r/halo and I missed it wtf?

I have a love/hate relationship with that subreddit.

First things first is that the casual community is way the fuck bigger than the competitive community for Halo. And when reddit really took off (probably starting around 2010-11 when Digg shit itself), Halo, and ESPECIALLY competitive Halo, was dying. So all the people who used reddit and subscribed to /r/halo ended up being the casuals. Couple that with the fact that this is a console shooter, which in today's day and age will never have more than a niche group of people following its competitive scene.

And of course, when you have casual players in a community, you end up with casual content. Hence why the top post right now is a dude ground pounding through a teleporter. These people aren't likely to watch a longer video or start a discussion thread, or really give much of a shit about things that you actually have to invest your time in. It's weird because the mods can do so much about this -- have daily discussion threads, have free talk fridays, have shitpost sundays -- these are things other subs have done that build reddit communities to great success and I'm befuddled as to why the /r/halo mods don't do the same. 

Finally, and most importantly, someone had the GENIUS idea of putting ALL halo-related content in one subreddit. This means a dude who only cares about campaign also has to scroll through forge shit, warzone shit, competitive shit, etc., and same for people who only care about competitive, or forge, or whatever. When you put everything under one roof you automatically discourage good content, because now the stuff getting upvoted is stuff that as many people as possible can relate to (shitty gifs) instead of the stuff pertaining to the more niche communities. Plus, when something makes the top of the page, something else is necessarily knocked off the front page, meaning no one community has any breathing room. It's a stupid idea and it's stifling the reddit growth of every Halo community. Unfortunately there's no push to populate /r/competitivehalo, or /r/halowars, or /r/forge, so those subs are essentially dead. There isn't even a comparison you can make to other game-related subreddits because Halo is the only game I can think of with so many communities that are so distinct from each other. 

Given that framework, there's nothing much we can do to spread competitive aside from what is already being done. Posting there even if it doesn't get upvotes, attempting to start SOME discussion, and so forth.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Arena has just not been fun lately man. Keep coming up against the same 3 to4's the past couple of nights and getting pounded

• Upvote (+1) 1

While I like having Double Flag and Stronghold weeks, I would love to have a ball mode back in competitive. While I'd prefer oddball, Assault would be fun to watch. 

support. E6 is gonna be uploading a lot and need yalls support to do it ya feel. And shooter is entertaining

He is, for sure. That had a pretty natural feel about it.

Hope he grinds content.

also ICYMI shooter did a video about E6 playing week 5 together 

Hope to see more content from Shooter, though he really needs to turn off his monitor(s) while recording himself.

Also, remind me how E6 got so much money to spend.

support. E6 is gonna be uploading a lot and need yalls support to do it ya feel. And shooter is entertaining

I feel ya. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hope to see more content from Shooter, though he really needs to turn off his monitor(s) while recording himself.

Also, remind me how E6 got so much money to spend.

hard work and determination
  • Upvote (+1) 8

Really hope EG can pull off a win tonight. That @@Towey video made me have feelings again, Like some kind of 14-year-old kid. You remember feelings, right?

I have feelings every single day of my life.

• Upvote (+1) 2

[...] HCS Elo ratings [...]

Here's how the Elo ratings look after day one of week six:

lilEtSE.png

Note that the methodology is still evolving as the first pro league season progresses, but here are the corresponding teams' probabilities of winning according to their Elo ratings:

TL 40% - 60% EG
OG 20% - 80% CLG
E6 62% - 38% ALG
NV 54% - 46% RNG

For great teams like CLG it undercounts what their probability of winning really is. And it also doesn't take into account favorable/unfavorable matchups. However, NV vs RNG seems like the closest matchup on paper.
  • Upvote (+1) 6

Glad to see EG not come out sluggishly. I didn't get a good look at the slays but it seemed close, which is just a testament to how well they rotated around the map.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That moment when the MCC has twice as many viewers as h5 during pro league matches.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've not gotten into the whole "Fantasy HCS", but I saw the ranks after 5 weeks. Huke #1, Snipedown #2, etc. 

Just out of curiosity, what stats factor into a players' fantasy points? Basically, how are they calculated?

That moment when the MCC has twice as many viewers as h5 during pro league matches.

MCC averaged 10-15k?

MCC averaged 10-15k?

I think he's saying right now on twitch MCC has more viewers than H5 does.