CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Which is a huge issue for Halo, IMO.

You look r/lol and r/csgo and it's seriously a great mix of eSports and casual stuff (memes, etc)

well because all of the ones interested in the eSports, are posting on other sites already, maybe if we all also post there ( alongside beyond of course) we could spark a bigger community there

• Upvote (+1) 5

Please stop, future posts will be removed / possible punishments handed out.

Thanks.

xIpgYVL.gif

• Upvote (+1) 2

Which is a huge issue for Halo, IMO.

You look r/lol and r/csgo and it's seriously a great mix of eSports and casual stuff (memes, etc)

Meh, not really. It is just what happens when you have Campaign + Multiplayer. LoL, and CSGO are multiplayer heavy, resulting in their population being obsessed with competition and eSports. 

Halo is just the opposite, the only way to turn the tide is on the developer. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

As a member of r/halo I don't know if I can fully agree. Sure the casuals are more focused on Warzone/customs/Forge/etc but I wouldn't call them a net negative to the community. Sure they don't lobby for changes the pro community might want (no radar in Team Arena, better spec mode, list goes on) but they do keep r/halo relevant on r/all which is important. Plus they've been pretty supportive of halo 5 and the req money they spend went towards World. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

Meh, not really. It is just what happens when you have Campaign + Multiplayer. LoL, and CSGO are multiplayer heavy, resulting in their population being obsessed with competition and eSports. 

Halo is just the opposite, the only way to turn the tide is on the developer. 

I agree and disagree. 

While campaign is a big part of Halo, the reddit is mostly a casual MP audience.

It might be worth just asking over at r/halo what would make them more interested in HCS. I've tried to make HCS type posts there in the past, and it kind of runs a wide range of answers from "esports are dumb" to "competitive ruined Halo". But I'd imagine that there's some people in there that have good answers for why they aren't into the scene. Knowing that might help us redirect content to get more people interested and involved. I'll make a post at some point today.

• Upvote (+1) 2

There is SOME opportunity to promote HCS on r/halo. It seems like every week I'm responding to a question about where to watch pro league or what time the matches will air.

I think a large part of the reason pro halo isn't discussed much there is because the scene is so entrenched in this site, and 343i isn't doing enough to get the content in front of people who have yet to experience it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So is T2 gonna be in the booth tonight? Also, I am hoping they are considering this a job audition and come see the forums to see how highly we think of him calling the matches. 

So I wanna go on record saying I was pretty salty the past couple weeks with EGs performance, but I believe in the trio that stuck together since H2A and I know they'll make a comeback in the future.

If EG makes a change, so be it, if not, they'll come back stronger than ever and re position themselves at the top (2, b/c CLG).

@@Roy is not the problem, @@Lunchbox is not the problem, and neither are @@Snip3down or Suspector. I believe in @@Towey to right the ship and get EG back on top next season. 

These guys have been winning their whole careers, can't win 'em all. 

I guess its good to see other players get a chance to shine. Except for @@LethuL, fuck that guy  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 3

I agree and disagree. 

While campaign is a big part of Halo, the reddit is mostly a casual MP audience.

Great. 

Does not change the fact the majority of Halo fans are not interested in eSports content, because Halo has pushed a casual heavy experience, while other titles push a heavy competitive experience. 

We can split hairs all we want, but thats the reality. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Great. 

Does not change the fact the majority of Halo fans are not interested in eSports content, because Halo has pushed a casual heavy experience, while other titles push a heavy competitive experience. 

We can split hairs all we want, but thats the reality. 

We haven't really tried yet, to be fair. If Halo continues to grow like it is, I can see more and more people becoming interested in eSports. 

And a majority of Halo fans? Yeah you're probably right, but we're talking about an online community, specifically reddit. That's a niche within itself right there. 

You might be surprised if we put more effort into it. Maybe get some Pros to participate, do some AMAs, post their own content, etc. 

As a member of r/halo I don't know if I can fully agree. Sure the casuals are more focused on Warzone/customs/Forge/etc but I wouldn't call them a net negative to the community. Sure they don't lobby for changes the pro community might want (no radar in Team Arena, better spec mode, list goes on) but they do keep r/halo relevant on r/all which is important. Plus they've been pretty supportive of halo 5 and the req money they spend went towards World.

This is very true

There is SOME opportunity to promote HCS on r/halo. It seems like every week I'm responding to a question about where to watch pro league or what time the matches will air.

I think a large part of the reason pro halo isn't discussed much there is because the scene is so entrenched in this site, and 343i isn't doing enough to get the content in front of people who have yet to experience it.

HCS twitter dont even tweet when there is a community tournament going on, for example AstroSpartans, or EGLX. I can almost certainly guarantee that they wont promote 2050 Chattanooga either.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

We haven't really tried yet, to be fair. If Halo continues to grow like it is, I can see more and more people becoming interested in eSports. 

And a majority of Halo fans? Yeah you're probably right, but we're talking about an online community, specifically reddit. That's a niche within itself right there. 

You might be surprised if we put more effort into it. Maybe get some Pros to participate, do some AMAs, post their own content, etc. 

Disagree, it has been tried many times, maybe you werent around. 

It is really on the developer, if 343 can keep pushing a competitive interest, the tide will change on a massive scale. Targeting "niche" subreddits for Pros to spam content or do AMAs will have an impact for less than a day and will be forgotten and drowned in casual content. 

Its cool for the moment, but doesnt do much for the larger picture. Only 1 entity has control over the larger picture: Developer. 

Look at Call of Duty, when did COD become eSports heavy? BlackOps2 is when I noticed the developer REALLY going all in. Give Halo 3-5 years of promoting eSports and you will see a change. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

HCS twitter dont even tweet when there is a community tournament going on, for example AstroSpartans, or EGLX. I can almost certainly guarantee that they wont promote 2050 Chattanooga either.

They promote ASTRO Spartans on a decent basis - or when we email and ask they are very receptive. 

And to be fair, we cant expect the HCS twitter to be tweeting out EVERY single event that is going on. 

Just like nobody can expect Beyond to tweet out EVERY piece of content anyone releases. 

They promote ASTRO Spartans on a decent basis - or when we email and ask they are very receptive. 

And to be fair, we cant expect the HCS twitter to be tweeting out EVERY single event that is going on. 

Just like nobody can expect Beyond to tweet out EVERY piece of content anyone releases. 

Well maybe they should hire an eSports media director/promoter to handle all eSports on Social Media.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well maybe they should hire an eSports media director/promoter to handle all eSports on Social Media.

They already do. I am not saying I think the Halo social accounts are the best ran accounts I have ever seen, just that they cant be expected to promote every single event that is going on. People miss things! 

I feel like if EG don't make it to S1 finals, then RoyBox might look into retirement. 

The only way they can get into finals is through CLG, so I sadly doubt they will make the finals, and I used to think like that. However, after watching the latest Up To Speed, if RoyBox(well, at least LBX, as we know Roy has said H5 will be his last Halo) retired after this season, I'd be pretty shocked tbh.

yeah people aren't aware. the only thing casuals know about competitive halo is "MLG". They don't now about team beyond or esl.  People on reddit need better transparency on when and where these matches are being played.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Disagree, it has been tried many times, maybe you werent around. 

It is really on the developer, if 343 can keep pushing a competitive interest, the tide will change on a massive scale. Targeting "niche" subreddits for Pros to spam content or do AMAs will have an impact for less than a day and will be forgotten and drowned in casual content. 

Its cool for the moment, but doesnt do much for the larger picture. Only 1 entity has control over the larger picture: Developer. 

Look at Call of Duty, when did COD become eSports heavy? BlackOps2 is when I noticed the developer REALLY going all in. Give Halo 3-5 years of promoting eSports and you will see a change. 

I mean of course, a developer not putting in 100% effort on supporting a particular platform for competitive discussion is no doubt a death sentence for any self sustaining community. 

I feel like they need to go all in on a community, either here, reddit or (pls no) waypoint. They need to advertise it as such and push it. 

Right now I feel like the discussion is so scattered and hidden away for MOST casual HCS fans that it just ends up seeming like theres no discussion going on at all. I mean, look at that Optic Hitch tweet from awhile ago. He didn't even know there was a competitive community. The FIRST place he looked for r/comphalo. It was dead, and he thought that was it, that NO discussion was going on at all.  

Who knows how many people we're missing out on that we COULD be luring in by having something like r/Halo become more eSports focused. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Towey, the videos you've been creating are awesome! If you don't have feels for EG and their struggles after watching the latest video, you in fact do not have a heart. I wanted RNG to win last night, but how can you not be a fan of EG? That's a group of great guys.

#nohomo

• Upvote (+1) 4

I mean of course, a developer not putting in 100% effort on supporting a particular platform for competitive discussion is no doubt a death sentence for any self sustaining community.

I feel like they need to go all in on a community, either here, reddit or (pls no) waypoint. They need to advertise it as such and push it.

Right now I feel like the discussion is so scattered and hidden away for MOST casual HCS fans that it just ends up seeming like theres no discussion going on at all. I mean, look at that Optic Hitch tweet from awhile ago. He didn't even know there was a competitive community. The FIRST place he looked for r/comphalo. It was dead, and he thought that was it, that NO discussion was going on at all.

Who knows how many people we're missing out on that we COULD be luring in by having something like r/Halo become more eSports focused.

I remember people telling Hitch in like 90% of the replies to go to Beyond.

The staff and the community here have done a lot of great work since 2013 to make this the home for competitive Halo. When they say "the forums" on stream or Twitter, it's kinda cool to be known as that one place. Kinda like when people say Coke instead of Pop.

Like Saucey said, Halo eSports is still kinda "new" since its long departure from the MLG/Reach days. We have to rebuild, it's going to be a process. I think the future is bright.

• Upvote (+1) 2