CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Uh...yes, seriously. Weren't they teamed up before the roster lock?

I'm fairly new to the scene so I was legitimately wondering. No need to be a dick, I just wanted to know what happened there

Its the only way he knows how to be. I recommend placing him on ignore as most of what he says adds little to any conversation.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

This is OT but my elite controller just suffered a broken left bumper. Anyone else have this problem? If so, was it easy to get it replaced?

Funny you say this because I also suffered a broken left bumper on my Cinch Custom Controller. I just tapped it back, but I still play with a bad left bumper and I play bumper jumper, so it gets tough at times. Also, I thought about getting it replaced, but I don't know how and I assume it would take weeks for them to actually do something. 

Just my 2 cents. 

This is OT but my elite controller just suffered a broken left bumper. Anyone else have this problem? If so, was it easy to get it replaced?

I had the exact thing happen to me, have heard it happened to countless others as well (mostly those who jump with the left bumper). This happened to me a couple days after my 3-month warranty expired. The people at Microsoft basically said I was out of luck and would not do anything for me.

Word of advice, for all those thinking of getting the elite controller make sure to get the extended warranty.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think Commonly & Penguin would do well finding a team together rather than separately. Whatever team they land on together would instantly contend with EG for the #2 spot, but if they find teams separately we'll likely see those teams compete for the #3 spot and some other squad will come out of this rostermania stronger. I'd personally love to see them team with Pistola and Rayne. Rayne has plenty of experience teaming with Penguin, and imo Commonly > Mikwen. The merging with Contra & Devon or Ninja & Victory X isn't bad either. Maybe I just want nV to do well.

Another great squad that I can't see happening is Ace, Spartan, Stellur, and Bubu

hum, well then from a viewership perspective, if you remove the Optic factor is Halo really that far off (if at all) from CoD viewership?

The fact that Optic has a competitive team in CoD means they get those viewers throughout the whole tournament. I would also argue some people are only Optic fans BECAUSE they are competitive, which in the Halo roster they aren't. And finally, I would suspect because of their relative dominance in CoD they probably get additional viewership from people that root against them.

I'm watching right now (literally this is the 2nd time watching BO3) mostly to get a sense of it and supporting Formal. But crowd noise seems weak tbh (maybe weaker then Halo Finals). And the gameplay for me is so blah (just doesn't excite me at all, I don't see the "flashy" plays), but I'm sure that is just me not enjoying CoD.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'm watching right now (literally this is the 2nd time watching BO3) mostly to get a sense of it and supporting Formal. But crowd noise seems weak tbh (maybe weaker then Halo Finals). And the gameplay for me is so blah (just doesn't excite me at all), but I'm sure that is just me not enjoying CoD.

My experience watching BO3 ^

Edit: Oh fuck, they just tried to get the crowd to shout  :apg:

• Upvote (+1) 1

But crowd noise seems weak tbh (maybe weaker then Halo Finals). 

Unknown factor: Crowd Mic distribution/presence.

HWC had shit crowd noise on stream, because of shit crowd mics.

NA Regionals had better crowd noise, because MLG know Crowd Mics.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Roster Update...(AKA stuff people who have been paying attention already know, just consolidating info)

Pretty sure none of this is new :intel:

• Cratos - Looks like he's split between the option of Ryanoob+Shooter+Lifestyle or the revival of Crowd Pleasers with Bubu Dubu+Commonly+Huke.  Could potentially be a dark horse in the "Penguin Forecast" if that second roster replaces Huke for the Commonly+Penguin duo. 

Oh man Crowd Pleasers with Cratos, Bubu, Commonly, and Penguin just fits. That would be an insanely good squad.

• Upvote (+1) 1

hum, well then from a viewership perspective, if you remove the Optic factor is Halo really that far off (if at all) from CoD viewership?

The fact that Optic has a competitive team in CoD means they get those viewers throughout the whole tournament. I would also argue some people are only Optic fans BECAUSE they are competitive, which in the Halo roster they aren't. And finally, I would suspect because of their relative dominance in CoD they probably get additional viewership from people that root against them.

I'm watching right now (literally this is the 2nd time watching BO3) mostly to get a sense of it and supporting Formal. But crowd noise seems weak tbh (maybe weaker then Halo Finals). And the gameplay for me is so blah (just doesn't excite me at all, I don't see the "flashy" plays), but I'm sure that is just me not enjoying CoD

Right now the viewership is 150k before the grand finals have even begun. Of course OpTic has a big impact on viewership, but regardless there is still a gap between halo and cod. Also as far as the crowd goes - this is the equivalent of the tournament that halo will have after season 1 of the league. Not a 2.5 million dollar tournament.

Just keep this in mind. Cod viewership for a season playoff tournament is almost double that of a $2.5 million halo tournament. It's not even close.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We don't give coaches VIP.

Could've sworn @@Towey had VIP status. Maybe a lighter/darker green username would work for pro coaches? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Unknown factor: Crowd Mic distribution/presence.

HWC had shit crowd noise on stream, because of shit crowd mics.

NA Regionals had better crowd noise, because MLG know Crowd Mics.

Yea I came to that conclusion as well for HWC. From videos and media I saw the crowd was pretty good, especially for the size. XGames crowd was pretty cool as well. The mic's seem fine at CWL to me. But even when Optic (the fan favorite) is winning it seems like no hype in the crowd. They even showed the crowd and it looked like golf claps.

I had the exact thing happen to me, have heard it happened to countless others as well (mostly those who jump with the left bumper). This happened to me a couple days after my 3-month warranty expired. The people at Microsoft basically said I was out of luck and would not do anything for me.

Word of advice, for all those thinking of getting the elite controller make sure to get the extended warranty.

Yeah it's been a little over 3 months for me as well. It's like they rigged them to break right after the warranty expires..

• Upvote (+1) 1

Had this happen to me, I didn't try to see if they'd fix/replace though. Those new bumpers fuck easily. I added a 2nd left paddle and use that for jump now.

Yea I came to that conclusion as well for HWC. From videos and media I saw the crowd was pretty good, especially for the size. XGames crowd was pretty cool as well. The mic's seem fine at CWL to me. But even when Optic (the fan favorite) is winning it seems like no hype in the crowd. They even showed the crowd and it looked like golf claps.

AFAIK, this audience is like 50/50 fans and teams etc. This is by no means an open large scale cod event (like the world championship will be)

Right now the viewership is 150k before the grand finals have even begun. Of course OpTic has a big impact on viewership, but regardless there is still a gap between halo and cod. Also as far as the crowd goes - this is the equivalent of the tournament that halo will have after season 1 of the league. Not a 2.5 million dollar tournament.

Just keep this in mind. Cod viewership for a season playoff tournament is almost double that of a $2.5 million halo tournament. It's not even close.

I got ~110k on Twitch. Compared to what, ~80K on Twitch for the HWC finals (without any Optic)?

I feel like we saw 20-30k spikes in Halo when Optic showed up.

Again, I don't follow CoD but it doesn't seem like there is some massive competitive fan-base that people act like compared to Halo. If anything I feel like the big difference is in the casual/fun viewership where CoD seems to consistently have large viewership and Halo doesn't.

I get that CWL S1 =/= HWC and the prize pool is different. But in the end of the day we are talking about the top teams playing in really big tournaments. I have a hard time believing that this CWL S1 Finals is some type of "amateur tournament" just because the prize pool is smaller.

• Upvote (+1) 1

For those of you who were arguing with me about sound and communication issues...

If you watched the finals between OpTic and Rise, OG wasn't going to play at all because Karma couldn't hear, so they replayed the beginning of game 1.

It IS that easy to tell the Ref's that you are having technical problems and ask/demand an immediate fix and replay.

Could've sworn @@Towey had VIP status. Maybe a lighter/darker green username would work for pro coaches?

@@Towey been a staple of the competitive Halo community for many years now from coaching to tons of content creation and casting within the community. He deserves VIP status in the eyes of the staff here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I got ~110k on Twitch. Compared to what, ~80K on Twitch for the HWC finals (without any Optic)?

I feel like we saw 20-30k spikes in Halo when Optic showed up.

Again, I don't follow CoD but it doesn't seem like there is some massive competitive fan-base that people act like compared to Halo. If anything I feel like the big difference is in the casual/fun viewership where CoD seems to consistently have large viewership and Halo doesn't.

I get that CWL S1 =/= HWC and the prize pool is different. But in the end of the day we are talking about the top teams playing in really big tournaments. I have a hard time believing that this CWL S1 Finals is some type of "amateur tournament" just because the prize pool is smaller.

120k on twitch, 40k on the in game viewer (that uses mlg.tv) and almost 10k on youtube. so about 170k now. I can agree with you about the general fan base of halo being more passionate about the game itself than in cod. However, it's crazy to assume that the hype would be the same for this cod event and HWC (and cods equivalent later this year, Champs). I would not be surprised to see the cod world championship hit 200k, maybe even 250k+. 

120k on twitch, 40k on the in game viewer (that uses mlg.tv) and almost 10k on youtube. so about 170k now. I can agree with you about the general fan base of halo being more passionate about the game itself than in cod. However, it's crazy to assume that the hype would be the same for this cod event and HWC (and cods equivalent later this year, Champs). I would not be surprised to see the cod world championship hit 200k, maybe even 250k+. 

Sounds like you know more about CoD then I do, so I'll take your word for it.

However, did HWC have viewership from other outlets as well that wasn't factored into the Twitch count? If so then comparing numbers like 170k for CoD should only be compared to the same summation of channels for Halo (which I don't know the total). That is why I focused on the twitch numbers only.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sounds like you know more about CoD then I do, so I'll take your word for it.

However, did HWC have viewership from other outlets as well that wasn't factored into the Twitch count? If so then comparing numbers like 170k for CoD should only be compared to the same summation of channels for Halo (which I don't know the total). That is why I focused on the twitch numbers only.

Don't think there were any other outlets (that would be significant either way) for the HWC as far as I'm aware, feel free to correct if I'm wrong. The in game viewer for cod is a great addition, would be nice to see something like it in halo. For cod, its adding on 40k viewers right now that are most likely made up of mostly casual fans that see it when hopping onto the game. In my opinion, 170k (and still rising) vs. ~80k is a difference for sure, optic or not.