CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

You 'abandoned halo' when we sold out a Reach and H4 event with promises from you that if they did well the events would still be run. I don't think anyone is arguing you abandoning Halo 5 because we are in a state now where we have options rather than relying on one company to run events.

Neither tournament completely sold out, and viewership wasn't where they wanted it to be.  

Halo was operating at a loss even in the H3 years when team passes were selling out in 5 minutes.  

Doing something similar to pro cycling might work. In cycling the Spring is for one day races. The Summer and Fall are for longer stage races.

In Halo, make late Winter and Spring the time for Open Lans, ending with a big Open Championship. The Summer and Fall will be for two Pro League and Challenger seasons with an Open Lan in the middle. 

There was more happening behind the scenes than you guys will ever know but I agree, not running Halo 4 after Dallas was a much maligned decision both externally and internally.

We understand that there were circumstances to not be able to run events anymore and I think we've gotten past it in a way, but I don't think there's a better term than abandoned for what happened then.

Always like to see you and other people like timo posting, even if it's not about the best topics <3

• Upvote (+1) 6

You 'abandoned halo' when we sold out a Reach and H4 event with promises from you that if they did well the events would still be run. I don't think anyone is arguing you abandoning Halo 5 because we are in a state now where we have options rather than relying on one company to run events.

They did not abandon Halo. 343 gave us a shit game. For a pro I'd expect you to know better.

• Downvote (-1) 3

@, arguments aside, I hope MLG and 343 can come to an agreement at some point. Having ESL Pro League and MLG open events would be a dream come true for us as a community. Adam and MLG are legendary in the Halo scene and if it takes years for us to get MLG Opens again, so be it. 

#BringBackMLG

• Upvote (+1) 6

They did not abandon Halo. 343 gave us a shit game. For a pro I'd expect you to know better.

If they sold out two events in a row telling us that we needed to do well in numbers and we'd get more events, I'd say it's abandoning.

I guess these posts could be construed as angry or something. I'm not, just posting counterpoints from a different perspective like I always try to do in these situations. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

You know, I used to be in this exact camp. We used to only speak via public statement and official PR channels. You know what happened? People began to create their own narrative. Assumptions and falsehoods became truth. In the last 3-4 years we went back to actively participating in all levels of communication and found it was much more appreciated by our customers.

Point is, I hear you loud and clear, but sometimes you have to participate in these conversations to make sure your brand is not harmed by false information.

Fair enough. I guess esports is just a much different industry than others. Obviously you guys have the support of everyone here so you are doing good work. In the end that is what matters so I can't argue with that 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If they sold out two events in a row telling us that we needed to do well in numbers and we'd get more events, I'd say it's abandoning.

I guess these posts could be construed as angry or something. I'm not, just posting counterpoints from a different perspective like I always try to do in these situations. 

viewership = sponsors = money

doesn't matter about ticket sales*

what was viewership for h4 dallas?

I wasn't around prior to H5, but @ is earning all sorts of cool points from me right now.

also, I think public forum a perfectly adequate way to have these discussions. In today's world of direct communication, there's no reason fans should have to filter through countless BS PR statements to find out what's going on with the scene.

Now am I understanding this clearly? MGL COULD have been involved in Open LANs this season, but if Pro's were allowed to participate, the events couldn't have HCS implications. They are also allowed to hold Open LANs between Seasons.

I understand that people view that as unfavorable. My question is, if Pros are in an Open Circuit LANs, how do you mitigate the fact that teams who are unlucky enough to face them lose an opportunity to get challenger points? Honesty question, I have no idea how this stuff works.

Edit: I would have liked to have MLG opens, even if they weren't part of HCS. Early on, such events would have done wonders for viewership. But I can understand why MLG wouldn't want to be in that thankless position.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wouldnt say MLG abandoned the pro scene if the spectators and players had already abandoned it themselves...

343 gave us a terrible game competitively, which killed the already whittled competitive scene after Halo Reach, and there was also a deal singed between MS and Virgin Gaming making it much harder for MLG to sign.

All of this was happening at the same time that CoD was rising, with great dev support, feedback programmes and a massively increasing player base.

You can't fault MLG, the error lies with 343 (at the time). All of this has now passed and it is time we saw a joint initiative between 343 - MS - ESL - MLG like we did for Worlds.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

As far as I'm aware, ESL (at least) helps run the CWL Challenge Division, which allows Pros to intermingle with Amateurs for LAN events. The highest amateur placings at a LAN receive the respective tiers of Challenge points for Relegation/Worlds/etc.

I don't understand why the "path to Relegation" needs to be so "protected" for the amateurs.

• Online Amateur-exclusive Cups
  • Co-Competition LANs with points for Challenger placings

I literally don't see how this is rocket science other than the money involved to host LANs. I'm sure 343/MS/ESL/MLG would be able to muster up something with their combined efforts.

There's only been two LAN events where pros and ams have competed, one was run by UMG and the second by...

MLG.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wasn't around prior to H5, but @ is earning all sorts of cool points from me right now.

also, I think public forum a perfectly adequate way to have these discussions. In today's world of direct communication, there's no reason fans should have to filter through countless BS PR statements to find out what's going on with the scene.

Now am I understanding this clearly? MGL COULD have been involved in Open LANs this season, but it Pro's were allowed to participate, the events couldn't have HCS implications. They are also allowed to hold Open LANs between Seasons.

I understand that people view that as unfavorable. My question is, if Pros are in an Open Circuit LANs, how do you mitigate the fact that teams who are unlucky enough to face them lose an opportunity to get challenger points? Honesty question, I have no idea how this stuff works.

Typically there would only ever be 1 open event that Pros would start in the very early rounds. They usually held a pro seed and players had to fight through the open bracket to make it to pro bracket on Saturday. 

There's only been two LAN events where pros and ams have competed, one was run by UMG and the second by...

MLG.  

With MLG Orlando coming up soon.

1-2 LAN Events per season is fine considering how much Halo we already have to digest

• Upvote (+1) 2

I stand by my statement that two adults who are supposed to be representing their respective organizations should not get on a public forum to discuss their differences. While obviously not a lot of you agree with me, it is extremely unprofessional (on both sides) and would not be tolerated in any other industry 

Esports is its own industry, I'd much rather have it out in the open than paying lip service to 'professionalism'. Also neither Adam nor Timo has said anything untoward.

when all your Halo friends start arguing

giphy.gif

Chucking the baby out of the bath water?

All the orgs besides us take a cut I'm pretty sure maybe one team in there doesn't

I don't believe OpTic does either 

Typically there would only ever be 1 open event that Pros would start in the very early rounds. They usually held a pro seed and players had to fight through the open bracket to make it to pro bracket on Saturday.

Makes sense. Kinda Like the legendary cups in open circuit then?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Operating our own stand alone events in an 'off season' from the official publisher supported league seems like a bad idea...especially so long after the launch. Why put us on an island? 

Don't see it as an island. Sports have off seasons which end up being boring because nothing is happening. Having a big event between seasons would be something to look forward to. At least for me. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sheesh, I can kinda see where @@Timo was coming from... I think it was the wrong call, but I don't think it was malicious or anything.

It would woulda been cool to have an open LAN with pros to kick off the season. Would've been great for AMs seeking exposure too. Maybe this discussion will help them figure out a better way to use the time between Seasons this go round...

Stay classy

Don't see it as an island. Sports have off seasons which end up being boring because nothing is happening. Having a big event between seasons would be something to look forward to. At least for me.

It's an island because the event would have no official implications.