CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

attention pros: please stop playing music during your streams. i hate all of it.

thanks!

Eh. Contra has good taste in music. So does Elumnite. LxthuL doesn't play music. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I've been gone for a bit, could someone briefly fill me in on the whole Mikwin thing? I've seen a couple tweets today from him about how fed up he is with the forums.

....what did we do

My understanding is that he is upset that people are unhappy about the cost of the team skins, as can be seen in this tweet:

And I completely understand where he is coming from as one of the main outcomes of these skins will be the support of teams and competitions in the future. Just don't know if he has handled it as well as he could have.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I've been gone for a bit, could someone briefly fill me in on the whole Mikwin thing? I've seen a couple tweets today from him about how fed up he is with the forums.

....what did we do

Mikwen thought the skins were great and didn't like people complaining about them in one tweet.

Then in another mentioned that not being able to purchase them in game isnt a great look and the prices are weird.

A mod (who later apologised) quoted these tweets and said that Mikwen needs to make up his mind (cleaning that up a little).

This is because these are the issues people were complaining about so it seems a little strange to put the community on blast like that.

Mikwen responds he can't go into the payment details but it's a healthy cut, and basically says he won't be returning to the forums but he'll be active on social media.

• Upvote (+1) 2

attention pros: please stop playing music during your streams. i hate all of it.

thanks!

Ah yes!

Let's make adjustments to just one viewer!

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

My understanding is that he is upset that people are unhappy about the cost of the team skins, as can be seen in this tweet:

And I completely understand where he is coming from as one of the main outcomes of these skins will be the support of teams and competitions in the future. Just don't know if he has handled it as well as he could have.

Mikwen thought the skins were great and didn't like people complaining about them in one tweet.

Then in another mentioned that not being able to purchase them in game isnt a great look and the prices are weird.

A mod (who later apologised) quoted these tweets and said that Mikwen needs to make up his mind (cleaning that up a little).

This is because these are the issues people were complaining about so it seems a little strange to put the community on blast like that.

Mikwen responds he can't go into the payment details but it's a healthy cut, and basically says he won't be returning to the forums but he'll be active on social media.

Thanks. At least we still have PapaMikwen (I hope)

Thanks. At least we still have PapaMikwen (I hope)

I hope that cooler heads can prevail and Mikwin decides to continue to contribute here. It's important that Pro's want to/feel like they can contribute here as it just helps the community.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Having said that we have obviously pissed him off 

He has a gold bar for a reason, we like him.

Please tell him to cool off a bit more before returning. I can't speak for the rest of the members, but I really like Pro posts in here, including Mikwen.

• Upvote (+1) 3

A bit of over-reaction. $10 is not an outrageous price but for a lot of people who dropped 60+ dollars on just getting the game is a tough pill to swallow to drop another $10(per team) to get some skins for three weapons( and not all the skins look good tbh).

Obviously I can't speak objectively but I would pay 10.00 for my sons team skins, but if a significant portion went back to the players I would buy every team. To support them.

Yes but I feel there are much better ways to handle this( see Dota 2  The International compendium)

This Mikwen debacle is a roller coaster of emotions.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I recognize I'm in the minority on this, but it gets really tiring that 343 literally cannot please this community.  I get it, economically 5$ packs means more purchases and more overall revenue to support the scene.  But damn take a step back and relax.. this is still a GREAT thing for the scene.  No one is forcing anyone to pay the 10$, if you want to buy a pack to show support for a team then do it.  That's it.  I'm personally not buying any of the team packs because none of those 3 teams are my favorite and I don't feel obligated to. If Naded still played for Optic, I would've been willing to spend 20$ and not complained.  When (I'm assuming not if?) the NV skins drop I'm going to show my support by buying that pack, it's as simple as that.  

Can we just be excited for once?  I honestly love this forum but holy god the whole pitchforks thing gets old fast.  Just wanted to offer a different perspective, I'm going to buy the HCS contender skins to show support for the entire scene, and when more crowd funding opportunities arise I'll support those too.  

Anyways, I'm stoked for this weeks matches.  Pro league has me locked down every Thur/Fri night because I fucking love competitive halo.  There was always going to be hiccups along the way, and things are going to improve.  That's not saying things shouldn't be constructively criticized and improved, but it seems 343 can't win with this community sometimes and it's worn me out.

Rant over, back at it 'yonders.

-Jdot out

OMG can I marry you?

EDIT: After being a Halo fan for years I saw how demanding the Halo community is.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Being upset about the price point is totally fair I think. $10 is steep for a Halo 5 skin because this game doesn't work like League. You only use 1 skin at a time for your weapons in Halo 5 and it isn't like they change all of the time like your champion does in LoL.

I think the real problem here is that everybody at Beyond is more invested in Halo than the casual fan. For us, we'd like to buy every team pack to support the entire HCS and its players. But that would put us at $80 by the time each skin series comes out, which is way too much money and more than the game itself cost on launch.

The price point isn't for us. If casual players buy just one pack at $10 for a team they like, 343 makes more money to split off for the orgs. It sucks for us because it makes it too expensive to buy multiple packs, but a handful of people buying them all at a low price point isn't as profitable as many people buying 1 or 2 at a high price point. At least, that's my take on it anyway.

Hopefully things work out with Mikwen. People are upset with the price point because they want to support the scene but have a hard time justifying the cost for multiple packs. I bought the EG pack from this series and will pick up the nV pack when it drops later on.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I hope Mikwen comes back.  Always great insight and willingness to be honest about the team, his own play, or the scene in general.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think one of the things that is misrepresented is the price point on here.

For the hardcore competitive community fans here, we want to help out the teams, players, and grow the HCS overall. The angle people are arguing for price has to do with those that tune in now and then or are casual fans of Halo. With the $10 price, I could see that being an issue getting sales, $5 is cheap enough that they may not flinch when getting it, but $10 (or $30) for the teams so far is as much as the game is on sale right now.

We don't have the numbers, that's on the guys on MS. I don't have the facts, I just hope the price tag doesn't turn people away and hurt sales.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can we just be excited for once?

but it seems 343 can't win with this community sometimes and it's worn me out

Give back a little for once and stop bitching about everything all of the time.

yawn

maybe it's just me but i hate cry baby posts like these

stop blaming the community for getting mad at poor decisions made by 343

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 4

What in the world did ya'll do to push Mikwen away!? Definitely didn't see that coming. Can someone fill me in because it has to be more than just a difference in opinion in terms of team skin cost. Mikwen is a genuine dude, hopefully he comes back.

I don't know if it would be possible, or if the pros would even want it, but what about having the pro league over 3 days? two matches a night, that way there's less days without something to watch, and no one outside NA has to stay up really late to watch.

We don't have the numbers, that's on the guys on MS. I don't have the facts, I just hope the price tag doesn't turn people away and hurt sales.

then why bother assuming what may or may not turn people away and hurt sales? @@Pono put it best in his post earlier. Lets dispel this notion that MS/343 don't know what they are doing, they know exactly what they are doing.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1