CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I watch a lot of full time streamers, and to be honest, you can see how difficult it is for them to make videos being a full time streamer. There are two streamers in the Destiny directory that seem to have perfected the art of full time streaming and making YouTube videos. King Gothalion, and Professor Broman both stream 8-13 hours a day (usually spaced out between a morning and night stream), yet still have the time to produce a solid 4-5 minute video every day. Most of their YT content as well is not directly pulled from the stream. There will be days where it is pulled from the stream, but they typically do the video in that break between their morning and night streams. Granted, it does take a lot of effort, but you CAN do it. I think uploading small clips would be an effective strategy to add to a YT channel. So my point in this post is that you can be a full time streamer, and still produce quality YT content, you just need to be strategic in how you do it. 

Both things are true. I'm sure Hector likes the youtube videos, but he needs to whip the Halo team into shape. 

He should fly papa down for a few weeks the salt from the margaritas will become the salt for a guying making them work. Then they will start having fun winning.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I've realized that I unconsciously plus rep stuff that's at 9 reps already without reading its contents just to get it that 'popular' thing. What have you people done to me?!

Their COD team proved that you can be serious and have that lifestyle.  If Optic Halo loses their league spot, would they just leave the scene? Their chances of improving the current team are pretty low unless a certain pro comes back to Halo from COD

I remember Snakebite saying in a stream that Halo 5 is a game you HAVE to stay on top of and be practising every day if you want to stay at the highest level, moreso than previous Halo games. I don't know much about CoD but it seems as though the Optic CoD team can just not scrim for a week, hop on and still do pretty well. I don't know how much of that is because they're the best players in CoD and how much is because CoD doesn't require that kind of 'dedication' Snakebite was talking about, but it seems as though the Halo team can't just copy the CoD team's lifestyle and expect the same results. I don't think Hecz would leave the Halo scene, I think at most he'd just drop this team and pick up a new one.

Competitive Halo would be so much better off if all of the pro's (or even just half of them) uploaded at least every 2 days. 

YouTube is the biggest market platform for gaming and therefore allows for the most exposure for Halo, yet no-one uses it... It baffles me. Gameplays, stream highlights, vlogs... ANYTHING!

Snip3down has like 10,000 subs and he has uploaded once in FOUR MONTHS.

Ninja has 50,000 and he uploads like once every two months...

Kampy is in FaZe, and has 120,000, yet he still uploads once every 2 weeks.

Halo could be so much bigger, but so much potential is being missed. There's a reason why people like VETOED have become top streamers in Halo. It's because of their YouTube channels being noticed. Strong YouTube will indirectly help other platforms for Halo to grow. 

Another thing is streaming another game and building viewership there like what Ninja has done. I wonder how many H1Z1 fans follow the Halo scene -- even casually -- because of Ninja. Obviously if a player doesn't really give a shit about any other games this is a moot point lol

But yeah, more youtube content would be great. Doesn't even have to be high quality like Vetoed's stuff, it can be just funny clips from streams. I know @@Towey  and @@RyaNoob do a pretty good job of making consistent, high quality youtube content. Speaking from this reddit thing I've been doing, most Halo videos -- if titled correctly -- can get a couple of hundred upvotes. 

god I'd give so much to see /r/halo have a bunch of youtube content upvoted to the top instead of fucking warzone noscope gifs

• Upvote (+1) 6

Im watching this liquid vs optic scrim and liquids communication in general is pretty good, but spartan is playing and communicating like hes tilted af.  Like going and starting fights by himself away from his team mates and stressing the fuck out of call outs that no one can get too.  going for no scopes then complaining about dying.  complaining that they need to watch rocket corner flanks but he should have been the one watching that.

nothing against him, this happens to everyone, and im a spartan fan and i know he reads the forums so i just want to clarify that, ive just been seeing similar things said on here about him lately.  If he can straighten that out and bring his morale up that might improve all of liquid. 

Dude, Spartan does nothing but carry Liquid. I doubt it's HIM that needs to improve.....

• Upvote (+1) 3

god I'd give so much to see /r/halo have a bunch of youtube content upvoted to the top instead of fucking warzone noscope gifs

The other day someone on /r/halo got 150 upvotes for getting a double kill on people not looking at him, with the upgraded plasma caster. 

In contrast, Frosty's triple no-scope against OpTic got 39 upvotes.

How the fuck does that work?

• Upvote (+1) 7

The other day someone on /r/halo got 150 upvotes for getting a double kill on people not looking at him, with the upgraded plasma caster. 

In contrast, Frosty's triple no-scope against OpTic got 39 upvotes.

How the fuck does that work?

The majority of Halo players are casual gamers.  r/Halo is primarily all casual gamers.

If I understand correctly, there's currently no randomness in the veto system. So if one team doesn't participate, the other team gets to effectively choose every gametype/map within the constraints of a Bo5 (slayer games 2 & 5, pre-determined flag/strongholds slots)? So unless you and the other team are equally good at every single game, it is always beneficial to at the very least show up.

On the topic of #content, I'm surprised more pros aren't recording and uploading their POVs for league matches (like @@RyaNoob did). I personally like the decision to not stream and redirect viewers to the same place, even with a bad spectator mode, but would also enjoy a listen in for certain games after the fact. CoD players aren't allowed to stream their CWL games but many consistently upload key matches or the entire series afterwards.

The majority of Halo players are casual gamers.  r/Halo is primarily all casual gamers.

Too bad. Waypoint is even worse.

Towey's casting reminded me of his condescending tone in his Youtube gameplay commentaries ... I remember watching him analyze Commonly's gameplay and saying all of this ridiculously critical stuff that wasn't even accurate, predicting that Hamy would die in some situation when that wasnt even close to happening. I feel like Towey is just a low Onyx player who takes himself super-seriously

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Towey's casting reminded me of his condescending tone in his Youtube gameplay commentaries ... I remember watching him analyze Commonly's gameplay and saying all of this ridiculously critical stuff that wasn't even accurate, predicting that Hamy would die in some situation when that wasnt even close to happening. I feel like Towey is just a low Onyx player who takes himself super-seriously

@@Towey get a load of this guy

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's called "tactical positioning".

Btw, I'd also be careful with the settings discussion. A few accounts have.. .disappeared lately.

Well elamite and Towey better be careful then.

We wouldnt want to upset our 343 overlords. Too much negative talk and you'll start to pop up...on thier radar.

• Upvote (+1) 1

AobMeoH.jpg

Earlier somebody mentioned Ninja's damage per minute. I pulled the stats from Halo 5 arena and made this plot.

I've plotted as grey lines the average Damage per Minute and average Damage per Death in the Pro League. Then there's a fitted line with the linear relationship between these two variables.

In the abstract, “better” players fall to the top-right corner of the graph. What's interesting is where players fall above or below the diagonal dotted line. Ninja, for example, has dmg/death that is just above average, but is an outlier when it comes to damage per minute. This tells you a lot about his playstyle. Ninja plays fast. He engages quickly, dispenses damage quickly, dies, and does it all over again.

This is pretty much the opposite of how Royal 2 plays. Royal 2 is great at staying alive, and gets an absurd amount of value out of every death. Interestingly, he doesn't even lead the team in damage per minute. That's Snakebite, who plays at a very “average” speed relative to his dmg/death by pro league standards (as evidenced by the fact that he falls right on the fitted line).

Of note, on the high end, there's pretty much a straight line between Royal 2, Huke, Mikwen and Ninja. These players are all unloading tons of damage, but there are some stylistic differences between them. I will say, the fact that Huke can put out so much damage from Enigma6 (who currently stand 2-3 in the league) is rather absurd.

On the other side of the spectrum, Goofy and Assault have struggled. Goofy has an exceptionally low dmg/minute compared to his teammates (who are all above average in that department). Interestingly, eL ToWn is rather low in terms of damage per minute.

Let's wrap up with Liquid and Optic. If you look at the 4 non-Assault Liquid players (including Danoxide), they seem to collectively be very average, but Assault appears to be a weak link. All 4 Optic players are below average in terms of damage per death, and even though Maniac isn't doing well, there's nobody on the team really stepping up and outputting great numbers. 

this is fantastic. i'd like to see all players identified though, not just a few key ones. i know it would make it a bit messier and fonts would have to be considerably smaller, but it would be more informative.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well elamite and Towey better be careful then.

We wouldnt want to upset our 343 overlords. Too much negative talk and you'll start to pop up...on thier radar.

Radar ... TopKek

@@Towey get a load of this guy

Honestly, thinking back even to The LAN Network, which I used to watch quite a bit ... he was incredibly smug back then as well, acting like he understood the game at a deeper level than the average pro player etc, where there's no real evidence that he does, at all.  :thinking:

I'm sure he's a good coach but the casting last night reminded me of how annoying he can be.  Literally Cratos could give higher-level analysis than Towey

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Towey is actually a pretty decent player, he's not bad by any means and he's been a top coach for a long time. I'd trust him.

• Upvote (+1) 3

bQRJIdB.png

Doubles is coming later today. Should be fun to watch some pros play.

• Upvote (+1) 1

:wutface:

Do you really want ranked doubles with radar and power weapons that spawn so often you didn't have the chance to use the last one? I don't

Do you really want ranked doubles with radar and power weapons that spawn so often you didn't have the chance to use the last one? I don't

I'm not going to play social doubles.

It's gonna be on forge maps made specifically for doubles.

• Upvote (+1) 3

this is fantastic. i'd like to see all players identified though, not just a few key ones. i know it would make it a bit messier and fonts would have to be considerably smaller, but it would be more informative.

Thanks! Next time I make one I'll try to make both versions. I have a function to place specified labels to the left or right of the data point, and in the center of the plot things get all sorts of jumbled and overlapped, but I can do it. 

I do like having a version with specific names highlighted, as it helps to support the analysis I add on. 

Also, kudos to whoever posted the graph to reddit. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

EU and NA match prediction results for day 2 this week (surprised nV and EG weren't a close race):

SRogLvQ.png

Completely random and pretty off topic, but how am I just now realizing Vibe's logo makes more sense for Pulse than Pulse's actual logo?
  • Upvote (+1) 5