CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Interesting factoid:

Ninja leads the league in damage per minute by a wide margin. The distance between him and #2 (Mikwen) is larger than the distance between #2 and #10 (Penguin).

A team I'd love to see play in Money 8's or something:

Ninja

Mikwen

Huke

Contra

I'm curious how much raw damage per second matters in a game, and if putting the top 4 highest DPS players together would be overwhelming. The null hypothesis of course would be that staying alive is more important than raw damage, but I'd like to see that common wisdom put to the test..

btw love seeing nerdy info like this. Good job.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Good shit man, great content as always, really shows why the teams at the top are at the top.

Just curious, do you think Ninja's rapid playstyle is effective or should he try and slow down a bit?

I think there are two parts to this question. 

First, is Ninja's rapid playstyle effective? Yes. His team is 4 - 1 in the league, and even though he dies a lot, he has the 8th highest k/d in the league. Keep in mind that 4 of those slots above him are occupied by CLG players. 

Secondly, could he be more effective if he changed things up? Maybe. I think each of us have a certain way that we naturally approach the game, and we tend to maximize along that axis. My guess would be that if Ninja tried to slow things down, he'd get worse before trying to get better. 

I think Halo 5 in particular rewards fast play, especially in the objective gametypes. If you look at the team stats, Renegades is pretty balanced across the board (5 - 2 in TS, 4 - 2 in Strongholds, 5 - 2 in CTF), and he's been no slouch in Slayer (see Rig TS). 

That said, I'm a Lethul subscriber, so I don't think I'm allowed to publicly say good things about Ninja. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

People are overreacting to OG IMO. Yes, missing vetos is insanely irresponsible but saying Hecz needs to scrap the team? They won 1 match and very well might win against ALG tomorrow putting them into the top 6 teams in the league.. If any team needs to be scrapped its Liquid and you can't even argue that. They've gotten trashed by everyone INCLUDING OpTic.

agreed. What would they veto anyway seriously? Is there a map or gametype they are dominant on? At this point they may as well play every map their opponents throw at them and get better at them all because they need to.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Thats pretty awesome it pretty much says if your above the line and to the right your playing some pretty good halo. Who's the unsung RNG hero over there between Lethul and MIkwen?

That's Victory X (155 dmg/death). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

All these stats and analysis are nice and all, but I've seen so many blatantly wrong stats in games I've played that I don't actually trust the stat tracking in the game

Yeah, there are some inconsistencies in the stats. It's also noting that something like dmg/min is particularly affected by something like standoffs where nothing is happening. 

An analysis is only as good as the data coming in though (garbage in, garbage out, as we say), but I still think this is useful in picking up on some trends / differences between players. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Catching up on the last two series now. But the pacing of the Pro League broadcast is far too slow. 

I would consider myself a "die hard spectator" of competitive Halo. I have yet to finish a full night of the Pro League. 

I remember when MLG switched to some random plugin/player for events, I went out and bought a new comp just to watch that weekends tourney. I normally consume 95-100% of an events broadcast. And yet, here I am struggling to hit 50%. I usually fall asleep by game 3 of series 2. 

Being on the absolute east coast of North America, the broadcast starts at 9:30PM for me. Late, but manageable. However when it is 11PM and the second series hasn't started yet.. that is a problem. It could of easily been 12AM had the first series not been a 3-0. 

Judging by the timestamp, I would of had to stay up until 2AM to consume the entire night of Pro League. That's never going to happen for me. 

The spectator view is a big culprit as to why this is not exciting to watch as well. I could deal with the slow pacing if it meant a better overall viewing experience from a gameplay perspective. But.. this has been hugely disappointing thus far. If it wasn't for FantasyHCS right now, I wouldn't even care about the Pro League. 

It's worth noting that last night was about the shortest a Pro League cast can be in terms of number of games (three sweeps, one 3-1). 

His knowledge was nice to have. But he talked over Elamite a lot, and his constant patting himself on the back about predictions and such got a bit old. It was a good start though if he decides to make a habit out of casting.

He had a hard time giving credit to other players and teams responded a lot with absolutely but did not embellish often. He's clearly dedicated to EG and believes they are the best players in the game and he should and thats where he should be I mean no disrepect, personally I couldn't cast objectively without singing Envy love songs the entire broadcast so kudos to him for him putting himself out there but it is a conflict of interest (unless your a Ryanoob who is just brutally honest and has the unique ability to be objective regardless) if you play or coach a team in the league.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Can you please not put us Diamond 3's down like that...

Dont worry Simms mate, I'm only Diamond 2 too. We can team up in arena some day, I only live like an hour away from you.

Guys, I dont mean to sound super negative, but I can honestly see OpTic pulling out of Halo at some point if it keeps going like this

:/ 

(I hope this isnt the case)

Referring to post above.

A better option is just a pause mechanic.

Person lags out, pause til back in, resume.

If only though...

Dota 2 does it and it works well, dont see why it couldn't be implemented here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Whoever did that pic of towey and Elamite, that's mean man.

Also Elamite was killin it, I only saw two series' though.

In regards to optic- it will be interesting to see how hecz reacts if at all to focused public outcry. The sub didn't exist back in my day so fans having a dedicated place where they can all show unhappiness like that may impact his decision making/typical timeline.

As an OpTic fan even I'm frustrated with the team but the sub Reddit is the same place where they were calling for Hecz's head because he didn't pick up a European team for CS and said that this team wouldn't make a major. Granted that lineup had Shazam and Mixwell is on a different level. Point being Hecz doesn't really care too much about the what they say there. Then again he isn't the type of person to wash his dirty laundry in public so it's hard to predict what he's thinking. When the whole Shazam debacle took place with the CS roster all he said that he was something on the lines of him re-evaluating his decision and taking a hard look at the team. As a fan all I can do is hope this team works out and moves in the right direction.

Can you please not put us Diamond 3's down like that...

tfw Batchford teaches you his pro-league strats and you're still stuck in diamond :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 3

agreed. What would they veto anyway seriously? Is there a map or gametype they are dominant on? At this point they may as well play every map their opponents throw at them and get better at them all because they need to.

That's what scrims are for, though. At the least Flamesword could do some actual coaching/managing and looked into what RNGs best maps are to veto against them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's what scrims are for, though. At the least Flamesword could do some actual coaching/managing and looked into what RNGs best maps are to veto against them.

but if Flame is busy doing that nonsense, then whose going to make all the neccesary motorcycle videos or prank Nadeshot?  or film Munchie Mondays  :thinking:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Flamesword - Mascot. pg2_g_oregon_duck1_sw_576.jpg

I'm not seeing it, maybe if you add a beard?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Competitive Halo would be so much better off if all of the pro's (or even just half of them) uploaded at least every 2 days. 

YouTube is the biggest market platform for gaming and therefore allows for the most exposure for Halo, yet no-one uses it... It baffles me. Gameplays, stream highlights, vlogs... ANYTHING!

Snip3down has like 10,000 subs and he has uploaded once in FOUR MONTHS.

Ninja has 50,000 and he uploads like once every two months...

Kampy is in FaZe, and has 120,000, yet he still uploads once every 2 weeks.

Halo could be so much bigger, but so much potential is being missed. There's a reason why people like VETOED have become top streamers in Halo. It's because of their YouTube channels being noticed. Strong YouTube will indirectly help other platforms for Halo to grow. 

mate, i'm just wondering... Do you go to sleep? Or like, go to school or have a job? Or something? You've posted like non-stop since i can remember

• Upvote (+1) 4

mate, i'm just wondering... Do you go to sleep? Or like, go to school or have a job? Or something? You've posted like non-stop since i can remember

I have Insomnia, this place is like heaven for me at night.

Ninja has 50,000 and he uploads like once every two months...

Picking this bit out. 

Ninja's last YT video he made explained in the first 2 minutes of why he hasn't made many videos lately. 

He's going to try making YT videos, but they will just be small clips and/or tips and tricks videos for H1Z1. Ninja is a full-time streamer so he's going to focus on that since streaming is where his money comes from. 

Just so people are aware of Ninja's stand on YT

• Upvote (+1) 3

Optic needs to either scrap this Halo team (again) and have these guys make VLOGS about what happened at chipotle full time

- OR -

Take their team seriously and cut this wanna-be celebrity views from the challenger league lifestyle shit.

I think it is fair to say that the Optic COD team cares a hell of a lot more about winning than the Halo team ever has.

Both things are true. I'm sure Hector likes the youtube videos, but he needs to whip the Halo team into shape. 

Flamesword - Mascot.

edit: added beard

Ou2dGfP.png

Now that is definitely Flamesword.

• Upvote (+1) 1

EU and NA match prediction results for day 2 this week (surprised nV and EG weren't a close race):

SRogLvQ.png

• Upvote (+1) 2