CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I think there's a few things causing lower numbers.

1. The matches are on Thursday and Friday nights instead of normal Saturdays and Sundays like we see for tournaments.

2. The production quality and issues. Missing games, commentary not nearly as enjoyable as EU, etc.

3. Theater mode. It's just not as fun to watch. The reticle is off, the lag issues, and some find the player outlines less enjoyable (including me).

4. No listen-ins, no player-cams. 

That's just my 2 cents.

A big reason is that they start at 1:00 EU time, so thats bound to effect numbers. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Where can I see current pro league standings including all series scores? Way point is never up to date.

Waypoint is up to date, but as for individual scores, I'd try Halo5arena.com

Halo just isn't as popular as it used to be, not to mention 343 took HCS in the wrong direction with the online league. We needed monthly/bi-monthly LAN's with solid prize pools, Worlds peaked at 80k viewers and they needed to build off of that but just ruined it with an online league with a crappy spectator system and VERY mediocre casting (sorry StrongSide you're still one of my favourite players ever).

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo just isn't as popular as it used to be, not to mention 343 took HCS in the wrong direction with the online league. We needed monthly/bi-monthly LAN's with solid prize pools, Worlds peaked at 80k viewers and they needed to build off of that but just ruined it with an online league with a crappy spectator system and VERY mediocre casting (sorry StrongSide you're still one of my favourite players ever).

The online league has nothing to do with tournaments. They can still be run by MLG/etc. When there are tournaments, pro league matches can be rescheduled. We see it in CoD/CS:GO all the time.

IMPORTANT POST - read if you think Halo has bad viewership.

But on a serious note, I'ts annoying to see so many people complaining about viewer numbers. Yes, I would like to see them be a little higher considering Halo 5 is a great competitive game, but that takes time. HCS Pro league matches average at about 7,000 for North America, and about 9,000-10,000 when OpTic gaming play. I quite frankly cant see the problem with this.

Yes, it's not as high as LAN events, but what do you expect? An online league is NEVER (I repeat never) going to get as much viewers as a top level LAN event. This is common sense. I would say 7,000 to 10,000 is a great start for the HCS Pro League. It's not as much about the individual numbers - it's more so about getting Halo in the Top 10 games played on Twitch.

Why? Because the higher Halo is on the list of Twitch, the more people naturally look at Halo 5 and check the Pro League out. Now, Halo always sits in the Top 12 (Top 2 rows) of games in Twitch when the Pro League in North America is on. That is big for Halo. This means more people are being exposed to top level Halo play on a frequent basis. This is the catalyst for the Halo scene to grow again. Having Halo in the front of Twitch is the first goal, which has been achieved.

Now It's time to improve on that actual figure. Because Halo is now in the Top 10 Twitch games every week, 343 can use this as a foundation for future growth. The numbers of people watching the Pro League will grow, but also the hype towards the LANs at the end of the seasons. This is what we want. Now, people need to realize that these things take TIME. Growth can be slower, especially when it is an exclusive to something (in this case the Xbox One). BUT, we will without a doubt grow, slowly, and this momentum should be kept up until Halo 6, where real growth can be seen if it builds on the negatives of Halo 5.

TL;DR, Halo Pro League has had an excellent start by residing in the Top 10 on Twitch, which people dont realize. Now it can build on that.
  • Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think there's a few things causing lower numbers.

1. The matches are on Thursday and Friday nights instead of normal Saturdays and Sundays like we see for tournaments.

2. The production quality and issues. Missing games, commentary not nearly as enjoyable as EU, etc.

3. Theater mode. It's just not as fun to watch. The reticle is off, the lag issues, and some find the player outlines less enjoyable (including me).

4. No listen-ins, no player-cams.

That's just my 2 cents.

#5 CLG already won the league which makes it a hell of a lot less interesting.

#6 the game itself has tons of issues and isn't very popular. If the game can only get 10-20k concurrent players how many viewers can you reasonably expect.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think the biggest issue with growth is winning back fans, Halo had a rough patch starting with Halo: Reach, then Halo 4 being so far away from previous MP games. Then up next we have MCC that didn't work somewhat right for the next 2-3 months. Couple that with tons of missing features in Halo 5.

I don't think LANs are the biggest issues with trying to make Halo eSports grow again. It really comes down to the game being delivered and keeping those returning and new fans.

• Upvote (+1) 7

anyone else disappointed in the viewer numbers?

has the stream even hit 10k during the pro league?

well it is in the week and the times are completely unreasonable for people outside of the US who have a normal job.

I guess a lot of people who watched tourney streams on the weekend from the EU are just not able to watch.

At least that is the case for me.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I dont think Halo 5 is in the top 12 games when pro league is on. Maybe top 12 channels, and even then not often. Everytime i go to see who is streaming halo 5 i cringe at how far down I have to scroll to find the game. Even when this game came out it wasnt popular on twitch. There arent that many daily "entertainer" streamers. Ninja is Halo's biggest twitch presence and obviously worked hard to get where he is and build his community, but there arent that many people streaming everyday that are like that. Snakebite streams everyday and pulls pretty good numbers (usually between 300-600) and personally I like watching him, but there arent many others doing this. I know someone linked the top upvoted comments of all time once on here and if you scroll down a bit you can see a post by Unyshek describing youtube views/subs that halo pros generate and how they relate to the bigger picture and it wouldve been pathetic if ninja and flameswords numbers werent represented on this graph. For Halo to get more viewers, there needs to be more content preferably on Twitch and Youtube.

But, its not fair to compare it to MLG Anaheim CoD when MLG has 680,000 followers and Halo has about 180,000. I watched some of the CoD event yesterday and the chat was full of CSGO trolls saying shit like "Competitive game with aim assist 4Head" and stupid shit comparing CSGO viewership to CoDs. Pretty much all of the people who watch pro league are there to watch Halo, not to troll the viewers. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

For Halo to get more viewers, there needs to be more content preferably on Twitch and Youtube.

That's what I have been saying for a while now. I think it's too late for this game, but when Halo 6 comes out, the pro players, and the community in general have to be on the stream/youtube grind day 1. We need to be seeing map guides, gametype guides, mechanical guides, etc, but the key is consistency. We need to try and hook a new audience when the game comes out, and maintain it by producing regular content. If we do that the only other thing we have to rely on for success is that we have a good, complete game AT LAUNCH. We can't have any of this bullshit where the game doesn't work, or half the content is missing, and is then released as free """"""""""""""""""""""""DLC""""""""""""""""""""""""". We need a functioning, completed game, and a consistent production of content by pro players, and community members/organisations, and we will return to glory.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Halo 5 needs observer mode pronto. It's bad enough that because of the XB1's limitations, we can't have open live tournaments, but we also fall short with our trash theater/spec mode for online tournaments. Halo 5 is a good competitive game, but it's hard to be taken seriously with these deficiencies.

I really want more videos on pro players and teams for the breaks. I mean most of us know the pro's and teams fairly well at this point but I think it would be super interesting to learn more about them instead of seeing the same badly colour corrected warzone montage 10 times over the course of a day.

I also remember Bungie used to post MLG matches on their homepage. That was great, they weren't live and I don't know how many people actually watched them but it was awesome to see.

Imagine 343 worked with the teams and took one match from the pro league each week. Grabbed all the players POVs, a recorded version of their comms(obviously with expletives removed) and edited it together with commentary and graphics and then had a Pro League "Match of the Week" feature on their site.

I'd be curious to see the response. I might give it a shot myself one week (minus the comms which I have no access to).

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the only way halo will see success is on the backs of the community then Microsoft and 343 have already failed. It's not on us to sell their game to the masses.

I'm sure they're not actually including "community will carry us" in their business plans but it says something that there's so little faith in their ability to do it on their own.

There's a difference between a popular game building its own tournament scene and an unpopular game relying on its die hard fans to sell more copies.

I dont think Halo 5 is in the top 12 games when pro league is on. Maybe top 12 channels, and even then not often. Everytime i go to see who is streaming halo 5 i cringe at how far down I have to scroll to find the game. Even when this game came out it wasnt popular on twitch. There arent that many daily "entertainer" streamers. Ninja is Halo's biggest twitch presence and obviously worked hard to get where he is and build his community, but there arent that many people streaming everyday that are like that. Snakebite streams everyday and pulls pretty good numbers (usually between 300-600) and personally I like watching him, but there arent many others doing this. I know someone linked the top upvoted comments of all time once on here and if you scroll down a bit you can see a post by Unyshek describing youtube views/subs that halo pros generate and how they relate to the bigger picture and it wouldve been pathetic if ninja and flameswords numbers werent represented on this graph. For Halo to get more viewers, there needs to be more content preferably on Twitch and Youtube.

But, its not fair to compare it to MLG Anaheim CoD when MLG has 680,000 followers and Halo has about 180,000. I watched some of the CoD event yesterday and the chat was full of CSGO trolls saying shit like "Competitive game with aim assist 4Head" and stupid shit comparing CSGO viewership to CoDs. Pretty much all of the people who watch pro league are there to watch Halo, not to troll the viewers. 

Firstly, I said "North American Pro League" not just "Pro League". And yes, Halo is almost constantly in the top 12 games when the Pro League is on. This is from Secondary Research I conducted myself over the two weeks of the Pro League.

Secondly, I agree with the content on Twitch and YouTube. Unfortunately, no Pro Halo players make any effort to upload YouTube content (except MaNiaC and Flamesword) and most of the Halo players dont make an effort to stream consistently. 

I swear, LxthuL does a lot for Halo. He streams the game for 8 hours, every day of the week. Expect his channel to become the biggest Halo channel in the future.

Thirdly, I agree about the CoD chat being overridden by CS:GO fans. Honestly that game has a terrible community - they feel like they are so entitled. BUT CoD does have a bigger competitive community than Halo - regardless of whether OpTic holds a monopoly in the CoD scene or not.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Decided to upload the reverse sweep gameplays from our team (Dinosaurs) vs XMEN the other day. We played awful in Game1 and 2 but finally found our feet towards the end of game 3. As much as I love Jimbo it was great to beat the new "God Squad" in our first pro league match up  :simms:

You beat U4X? 

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Changes that need to be made to the HCS Pro League (In my ignorant, bias and nonsensical opinion):

1. No missed matches, and even when they are missed, DONT SAY. Just observe the game that has been played, and tell the pro players to hold up for 10 minutes. These are the basics. Come on ESL.

2. Better videos between games. Jesus Christ. I dont even need to go over this.

3. Matches on Friday/Saturday nights - Weekend games will bring in more viewers. Hardly any sports matches are played on Weekdays... I wonder why?

4. Better Casters. I mean, this is a difficult one. I love StrongSide and Elamite, but we need clearer casters that fit their roles better. EU pro league is an example of this. However, that doesnt mean there isn't talent in North America. Walshy, Ghost, Puckett (!!).

All of these points make me wonder why on Earth 343 didnt go with MLG. They have by far the best production value in the world of eSports, and they certainly wont miss a damn game. They dont do Single Elimination in a 2.5 million dollar tournament (lol.). They also have great casters like Puckett, who is a don in the Halo world (fans would love to see him casting).

Not to mention that MLG and Halo have been synonymous since their respective inceptions. That being said, ESL have done a good job of the closed LANs that they have hosted so far.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Look at Victory at the top of the stat sheet for Renegades!

NazinPJ.png

They went from 5th to 7th to 4th in just 2 days!

xxebFkg.png

Is this the real Xmen team, or have they just not shown up yet?

fgo5Z9B.png

Rough week for Batch's crew as they got double swept this week

JdGXuYr.png

• Upvote (+1) 2

U4X are definitely the best EU team atm. X-Men seem really out of sync, don't know why Jimbo would ever leave the BUKs, stats mean nothing.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Firstly, I said "North American Pro League" not just "Pro League". And yes, Halo is almost constantly in the top 12 games when the Pro League is on. This is from Secondary Research I conducted myself over the two weeks of the Pro League.

Secondly, I agree with the content on Twitch and YouTube. Unfortunately, no Pro Halo players make any effort to upload YouTube content (except MaNiaC and Flamesword) and most of the Halo players dont make an effort to stream consistently. 

I swear, LxthuL does a lot for Halo. He streams the game for 8 hours, every day of the week. Expect his channel to become the biggest Halo channel in the future.

Thirdly, I agree about the CoD chat being overridden by CS:GO fans. Honestly that game has a terrible community - they feel like they are so entitled. BUT CoD does have a bigger competitive community than Halo - regardless of whether OpTic holds a monopoly in the CoD scene or not.

Forgot to mention Lethul. Lethul has done A LOT for Halo 5 and streams every night. Sometimes even pulls 1k viewers, and consistently has 800+. that is my bad for not mentioning him, dont know how that slipped my mind.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Forgot to mention Lethul. Lethul has done A LOT for Halo 5 and streams every night. Sometimes even pulls 1k viewers, and consistently has 800+. that is my bad for not mentioning him, dont know how that slipped my mind.

Yeah gotta love LxthuL his scrims frequently receives 1k+. In my opinion, he does more for Halo than Ninja. The only time Ninja gets on Halo is when he absolutely HAS to. Scrims, Pro matches, etc.

I love the contrast between Ninja and LxthuL.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

People still don't give RyaNoob enough credit. RyaNoob puts out quality tip/highlight videos and also streams a good amount. He's also heavily involved with the community and is a good caster in his own right. If he added a bit more production value to his Youtube videos, I think he would gain a pretty good following. It would also help if pros took the time to learn how to use editing programs like Sony Vegas or Final Cut. It really isn't hard to learn it and can be a lot of fun to use when the basics are understood.

• Upvote (+1) 4

People still don't give RyaNoob enough credit. RyaNoob puts out quality tip/highlight videos and also streams a good amount. He's also heavily involved with the community and is a good caster in his own right. If he added a bit more production value to his Youtube videos, I think he would gain a pretty good following. It would also help if pros took the time to learn how to use editing programs like Sony Vegas or Final Cut. It really isn't hard to learn it and can be a lot of fun to use when the basics are understood.

ryanoob isnt very good at promoting himself or his work

and the guy refuses to upload a youtube header

https://www.youtube.com/user/areallygoodnoob/featured

makes me sad