CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Not OP but I used to hate Lethul because he always came across as an ass but now I love him for it.

I'm an asshole so I can relate.

On a different note, I watched a CWL match today. Jesus, what a miserable experience that was. 

BUT what shocked me is that it only had 9k viewers. I've been doing a little observing lately, and it seems that the only time COD eSports seems to 10-20k+ viewers is when OpTic play. They seem to have some sort of monopoly over CoD viewership. Odd.

The point is that I'm trying to make, is that 7-9k viewers in the HCS pro league doesn't actually seem that bad at all, given that the CoD competitive scene is much larger than Halo's.

• Upvote (+1) 7

On a different note, I watched a CWL match today. Jesus, what a miserable experience that was.

BUT what shocked me is that it only had 9k viewers. I've been doing a little observing lately, and it seems that the only time COD eSports seems to 10-20k+ viewers is when OpTic play. They seem to have some sort of monopoly over CoD viewership. Odd.

The point is that I'm trying to make, is that 7-9k viewers in the HCS pro league doesn't actually seem that bad at all, given that the CoD competitive scene is much larger than Halo's.

I would say that, that's because the typical Halo player is more involved with the community. A typical a CoD player will play the multiplayer and do little else, whilst wondering what the next game will be like.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Episode 2: Week One of the Halo Pro League is live

Your standings are wrong.

nV is #4 and E6 is #5

I remember being extremely confused when they said he wasn't learning quick enough or whatever reason they gave. I didn't know anything about Huke prior to the HWC, so when I heard he came from CoD and had only been playing for a few months, I assumed he was the second-coming of Snipedown in terms of immediate success in the professional Halo world.

Any team willing to part with such a dominant player like that must have REALLY had clashing personalities and outlooks on the game.

When I first read about him coming over from COD I thought that he was going to be in for a rude awakening.  

I think he first got started running with Aries and he seemed to be hanging with them and whatnot but nothing really stood out at first.  

But then Regionals happened, and I thought OK maybe there's something there. 

By Worlds it was pretty much confirmed that he was talented and at present time that talent is blatantly obvious.  

Agree on the personality clashes to say the least lol.  

Definitely excited to watch the Allegiance-Enigma6 pro league match this week.

Same here, I'm going to have the popcorn out for that one.  

The point is that I'm trying to make, is that 7-9k viewers in the HCS pro league doesn't actually seem that bad at all, given that the CoD competitive scene is much larger than Halo's.

Was it just the EU stream? Caught the Rise/Optic match last week and the numbers were 40k+

• Upvote (+1) 1

Your standings are wrong.

nV is #4 and E6 is #5

I pulled those standings directly from the HCS twitter account. Just checked the image and verified the standings in the video are representative of said graphic. I know what you're talking about, and it might be an error on the HCS side...but I felt it was appropriate to just go with their standings to be safe. 

Just finished reading @@Infinity's article on HCS commentary and general feedback. Amazing read and agree with most of the stuff talked about.

Please, give it a read.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I pulled those standings directly from the HCS twitter account. Just checked the image and verified the standings in the video are representative of said graphic. 

I guess they use H2H tiebreaker as first tiebreaker, then map win %. More unknown things about the rules they don't tell us.  :walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I guess they use H2H tiebreaker as first tiebreaker, then map win %. More unknown things about the rules they don't tell us.  :walshy:

Which triggers me as they clearly show Map Win % as if it was indicative of something...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Was it just the EU stream? Caught the Rise/Optic match last week and the numbers were 40k+

It had 30k when I saw it - And that is the biggest match of the season. I have never seen it over 15k for any other game org.

No, it was eLv vs h2k - NA teams.

I would say that, that's because the typical Halo player is more involved with the community. A typical a CoD player will play the multiplayer and do little else, whilst wondering what the next game will be like.

True.

Good stuff @@Infinity

Qualms between eachother over power-rankings (that one time) aside, really appreciate what you've been doing for the community with these kind of articles.

Clearly very passionate about writing and it shows. I normally don't read that stuff from start to finish but I did for this one.

Hoping the guys at 343 did, DM'd a few of the HCS guys hoping they give it a read. 

@@FlizzyFletch

I agree with what @@Saucey said entirely. You're so much more of a natural than 90% of the the people who attempt content like this. Not only is it a step in production value above what most start out with, but you work well in front of a camera.

Like I said though, all my feedback lines up with Saucey, other than that, great stuff man, really, really love it so far.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Episode 2: Week One of the Halo Pro League is live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUQ7YiFQ36A

Had to learn Premiere this weekend after my initial program crashed my computer and refused to cooperate after it did...

This took up most of my weekend, and had me pulling out my hair more than once...but I'm pretty happy with the direction of the show.

While I'm pleased with this weeks result, I know there are clear things that I'm doing that need/can be improved...and will be.

Hope you guys enjoy it! As always...feedback is always welcome in my inbox! Should have a CLG piece out this week, discussing some Red Bull UK things with the team, and @@JORGE has given me a concept for a piece that I cant wait to get started on. Looking to get some Pro Player Spotlights out within a week or two as well. Really hoping to get Straight Six in for the next one.

Gonna try to watch when I get off work but I gotta say I love the beard. Makes the video better already.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Observe, don't anticipate. Often a caster will say something like "Ryanoob wants to wait for his teammates before pushing to basement", only for Ryanoob or whoever to do something else entirely. This makes the caster look foolish, and takes me out of the moment. Just observe! If he does wait and they make a play together, highlight that when it happens.

This for me is incredibly important as an observer and avid halo player. I feel like this was one of golden boys huge downfalls. But I hear a lot of casters doing this, it must be a hard habit to break with commentating

Why are you all so critical of the casters?

They do fine.

Fine is not good enough. 

You can always improve

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why are you all so critical of the casters?

They do fine.

Same reason you're critical on Halo 5. It's fine, but it can be so much better.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Good start, the quality is a lot better than I was when I started producing content. 

A few things: 

• The cuts / edits were a little rough  / sloppy, they need to be smoother. They were "jarring" in my opinion.
  • Camera should not be on you the entire time
  • The upper thirds was extremely small and you were showing gameplay in it, unwatchable. 
  • Font on the right side where you list the teams is Times New Roman or something, make it more custom, probably just a personal thing but it annoyed me.

Voice Work was fine, you didn't really look or sound nervous on camera which is great (thats actually a large problem a lot of people have when beginning)

It would probably be easier to record this in a program like Xsplit where you have multiple "scenes" so you can setup a few scenes and quickly pan between gameplay and a full facecam with graphics, record locally and bam.

The more you produce the more you learn and the better it will get, nice start.

Whenever I see you quote me I get anxiety I swear to god:)

1) The cuts and edits are my biggest gripe right now. I try to sync them up well, but as you said...it appears jarring. I need less, and the ones I have I need to make smoother. 1000% agree with you, and I'm confident this will improve with practice. 

2-3) I'm going to try with framing game play and graphics into the entire screen with just a voice over during portions of the show. Feedback after week one was to include graphics and game play and this was a remedy to that. Clearly I can do more to work on that, so I'll fix that going forward. 

4) The font is exactly that :( I'll make it a little more attractive next week! Thanks for the suggestion. 

Currently I use OBS, but the computer is actually off camera by a few feet so switching between scenes in a fly will be a hassle. I think I can make it more comfortable with better transitions...just need a little more practice.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback, I really appreciate the constructive nature. I look forward to working on them! 

Gonna try to watch when I get off work but I gotta say I love the beard. Makes the video better already.

I usually grow it until my parents start referring to me as "Osama" -.- 

• Upvote (+1) 1