CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

First off, welcome! Loved both the Str8 rosters & Instinct roster you were on. :)

I'd say never focus on trying to explain the game to the viewer unless something just recently changed, right now you could list some of the biggest changes to maps that are going to be played(don't bring the changes up too much, though).

And most people on here (at least) afaik aren't the biggest fans of pbp, focus on analysing and only pbp multi-kills, good plays, etc. Like CS casting, but obviously with more analysis.

Thanks man appreciate the <3. My goal is to find a way to minimize pbp. I think 70% of players doesn't need it but we still need to grow community to the casual viewer

• Upvote (+1) 8

Thanks man appreciate the <3. My goal is to find a way to minimize pbp. I think 70% of players doesn't need it but we still need to grow community to the casual viewer

The problem isn't necessarily PBP, it's the type of PBP that we use. It's a gross misconception that a play by play caster needs to be speaking at hyper speed and reciting everything that goes on on-screen. Setting up pig picture, explaining whats going on off screen, dictating general match pace, etc. are what is important.

Bravo and Simms are the first casters to begin improving PBP for Halo.

Regardless, I think the forced binary of one play by play, one analyst is also terribly implemented. Both casters should have extensive knowledge about the game and should be able to have a fluid dialogue and conversation about what is going on in the match.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think play by play is pretty important when it comes to objectives, to be honest. It's not infrequent that we miss flag pulls because someone's still giving analysis on something that happened a minute ago. I don't mean yesterday in particular, just in general.

I don't know too much about casting but I feel like sometimes the analysis can take both the casters and the audience mentally out of the game for a second whereas playbyplay keeps everyone engaged and builds hype

Honestly, fantasy makes spectating games infinitely more interesting.

Major shoutout to @@aFreudianTrip and @@Moses_FPS

Thanks man. I loved watching HCS before, but this does add an interesting dimension to it. I found myself glancing at the kill feed a lot more frequently and yelling things like "WHY DID I EVER DOUBT YOU @@Mikwen!" And when a player on your team grabs a railgun and gets a killtac...  :walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 3

http://oddshot.tv/shot/Jimbo/Uzq0_wY60_xDfrMsugkUfCNI

Jimbo isn't happy, sounds like over at HCS EU things are being run a little haphazardly.

The fuck? ESL isn't broadcasting it, and then they tell the players they can't stream? So now no one gets to watch it?

I'm fairly new to watching competitive eSports so I've been trying to hold off bashing ESL since I don't have much history to really judge on, but this is starting to get really bad. Really, really bad.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well Jimbo is still streaming it so either it wasn't the case or ESL changed their mind. 

The problem isn't necessarily PBP, it's the type of PBP that we use. It's a gross misconception that a play by play caster needs to be speaking at hyper speed and reciting everything that goes on on-screen. Setting up pig picture, explaining whats going on off screen, dictating general match pace, etc.

Bravo and Simms are the first casters to begin improving PBP for Halo.

Regardless, I think the forced binary of one play by play, one analyst is also terribly implemented. Both casters should have extensive knowledge about the game and should be able to have a fluid dialogue and conversation about what is going on in the match.

I need to get better at pbp, do you have a favorite casting game or something I can rewatch?

• Upvote (+1) 2

What happened?

EU Veto System not implemented, was told right before games started he couldn't stream, they can't use their fancy HCS tags that NA got, etc..

Optic CyReN confirmed.

Hey man, I can only sleep for like 6 hours a night :uncledrew:

WTF? 343/ESL get your shit together.

Why tell players they can't stream, when this is the official infographic?

eu-week1-schedule-30ec9b96942c48f9802d49

So clearly, you've created a situation where players and fans alike are expecting streams... And you should want the views...

• Upvote (+1) 5

WTF? 343/ESL get your shit together.

Why tell players they can't stream, when this is the official infographic?

eu-week1-schedule-30ec9b96942c48f9802d49

They can stream, just with 48 hours notice.

The issue is telling the players about these rules too late.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are you saying that they must notify ESL within 48hrs that they intend to stream?

Seems arbitrary and counter productive. Any insight into why this is?

I need to get better at pbp, do you have a favorite casting game or something I can rewatch?

Well you should stick to analysis primarily. I've got a super long article about broadcast and commentary feedback that I'll try to get out for this weekend.

For tonight just tell Side to stick to play by play.

Are you saying that they must notify ESL within 48hrs that they intend to stream?

Seems arbitrary and counter productive. Any insight into why this is?

From what Jimbo is saying, yes. 

This isn't my domain at all, I just tweet EU stuff.

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard in sometime, this needs to be changed ASAP.

• Upvote (+1) 3

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard in sometime, this needs to be changed ASAP.

Agreed. First I've heard of the rule and it sounds like its the first the players have heard of it too.

EU Veto System not implemented, was told right before games started he couldn't stream, they can't use their fancy HCS tags that NA got, etc..

What are the tags y'all refer to?

What are the tags y'all refer to?

During the NA games last night, players were using tags like "CLG Lethul HCS", instead of his usual "Lxthul" gamertag.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Agreed. First I've heard of the rule and it sounds like its the first the players have heard of it too.

@@Fierce tweeted me it last night, I honestly thought he was just trolling me

But yea, that should not be a thing at all. I'm all for viewers and whatnot but let the players have the option to grow their brand and content if they want. Especially those that want to take it to another level and have a chance now.