CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So, are we going to pretend like Liquid didn't manhandle EG after the Pro League match last night? Sure, scrims are scrims, but they got beat 7-2 AND choked hard on most of the games they were winning.

Scrims are scrims. 4 Pro League Games > 9 scrim games in my book

• Upvote (+1) 3

The sarcasm is unnecessary. For one, two weeks is an acceptable time to learn a decent amount of changes for a relatively passionate Halo fan (not saying there isn't room for mistakes, of course there is) and @@Moa's comments regarding which weapon is literally on-screen aren't far fetched to criticize.

Most other casters' first posts on our Forums have been asking for feedback to improve their craft, just saying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, so he was being a dick?

Gotcha.

Thanks to the casters like @@TheSimms, @@Onset, @@Wonderboy, etc who actually takes criticism well and admit mistakes. I'm not trying to dig at anyone but Strongside's casting has been extremely weak for the past few times he's done it. He gets lost in his own sentences, messes up consistently and doesn't bounce well off of other people.

Elamnite and Side should have been bouncing off each other, correcting mistakes when they happened but that rarely happened, if at all. I like both you dudes, but your chemistry wasn't good last night and needs serious work, especially coming off the tri-cast on the EU stream earlier in the day.

I get that these new weapons and layouts have been in play for about two weeks, but I'm certainly not going around calling weapons by the wrong names, especially weapons that were never on the map at all, or making up weapons that have never existed in the Halo franchise entirely.

If I did, though? You can bet your ass I'd apologize for it after the fact, suck it up and say "hey, my bad. I'm working on it."

• Upvote (+1) 11
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Scrims = Pre-Season

Pro League = Season

LAN Events = Playoffs

In terms of importance.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Scrims = Pre-Season

Pro League = Season

LAN Events = Playoffs

In terms of importance.

I agree w/ this. Def. still worth talking about, but at the end of the day match results are king. 

Scrims are scrims. 4 Pro League Games > 9 scrim games in my book

Oh, without doubt I agree, but it's still worth talking about IMO.

Especially, if anybody watched, they were spectacular chokes on EGs part.

The sarcasm is unnecessary. For one, two weeks is an acceptable time to learn a decent amount of changes for a relatively passionate Halo fan (not saying there isn't room for mistakes, of course there is) and @@Moa's comments regarding which weapon is literally on-screen aren't far fetched to criticize.

Most other casters' first posts on our Forums have been asking for feedback to improve their craft, just saying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He probably doesn't even play the game anymore, give a guy a break 2 weeks to learn some weapon placements is not enough.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

He probably doesn't even play the game anymore, give a guy a break 2 weeks to learn some weapon placements is not enough.

The whole issue with SS calling the regular rockets SPNKr rockets could all be avoided if regardless of the situation, he just calls them what they are...

Rockets.

Edit: SS not Elamite, my bad.

Without a doubt, there needs to be someone else controlling the camera for the casters. This may sound stupid, but to have to focus on switching cameras while casting seems to be difficult for a lot of people. Taking that away from the casters may benefit the casters greatly. 

The whole issue with Elamte calling the regular rockets SPNKr rockets could all be avoided if regardless of the situation, he just calls them what they are...

Rockets.

To be fair, that was Strongside. He started describing the incorrect rocket launcher, and made a weapon up (Brute Plasma Pistol). 

The latter is just a simple mix up of words but just like the SPNKr mess up, nobody corrected each other and it just... moved on.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The whole issue with Elamte calling the regular rockets SPNKr rockets could all be avoided if regardless of the situation, he just calls them what they are...

Rockets.

Didn't SS call them SPNKr? 

So we give Elamite slack for not playing the game? Pretty sure that was everyone's #1 piece of criticism for Goldenboy. And you know what? He GRINDED the game to improve his knowledge and his casting improved tenfold.

Any commentator for an eSport should be an active member of the community, an active player of the game, and knowledgeable about it at that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be fair, that was Strongside. He started describing the incorrect rocket launcher, and made a weapon up (Brute Plasma Pistol). 

The latter is just a simple mix up of words but just like the SPNKr mess up, nobody corrected each other and it just... moved on.

The Twitch chat was pretty funny when they said that. I remember CLG Frosty was prodding at Elamite haha

So we give Elamite slack for not playing the game? Pretty sure that was everyone's #1 piece of criticism for Goldenboy. And you know what? He GRINDED the game to improve his knowledge and his casting improved tenfold.

Any commentator for an eSport should be an active member of the community, an active player of the game, and knowledgeable about it at that.

I was being sarcastic I thought it was pretty obvious.
  • Upvote (+1) 7

Without a doubt, there needs to be someone else controlling the camera for the casters. This may sound stupid, but to have to focus on switching cameras while casting seems to be difficult for a lot of people. Taking that away from the casters may benefit the casters greatly. 

Wonderboy spoke a lot less than Gaskin or Simms because he was controlling the spectator mode, but still was able to chime in with insight and statistics. Tri-cast is effective in that regard.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Right, I just mistyped.

But regardless, what does talking about the difference between the regular rocket and SPNKr rockets even bring to adding depth to the game that I'm watching? Obviously, I understand there are slight differences between the two weapons, but it doesn't need to be explained while casting a map that only consists of one of the two weapons that SS was talking about. If both weapons were on the same map, then I could understand maybe speaking a bit about the differences. But at the end of the day, just call them rockets. You pull the trigger, it goes boom.

The extra discussion is just unneeded, in my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Right, I just mistyped.

But regardless, what does talking about the difference between the regular rocket and SPNKr rockets even bring to adding depth to the game that I'm watching? Obviously, I understand there are slight differences between the two weapons, but it doesn't need to be explained while casting a map that only consists of one of the two weapons that SS was talking about. If both weapons were on the same map, then I could understand maybe speaking a bit about the differences. But at the end of the day, just call them rockets. You pull the trigger, it goes boom.

The extra discussion is just unneeded, in my opinion.

Fair comments. @@Elamite and @@StrongSide.

Rockets.

He went on to explain to the viewers the functionality of the SPNKr rockets for a solid minute when the weapon on the map wasn't the SPNKr, that's the issue. If he would have just said SPNkr and went on to talk about the game, it would have been a smaller offense, but on top of saying the wrong weapon name on the map, he went on to waste his and the viewers time explaining how the SPNKr functions when it's completely irrelevant. 

Is there some other esport where commentators regularly switch the camera to a third person perspective? 

That would explain a lot, both in why Quinn and members here are defending its use and why the casters are suddenly over- and mis- using it.

Is there some other esport where commentators regularly switch the camera to a third person perspective? 

That would explain a lot, both in why Quinn and members here are defending its use and why the casters are suddenly over- and mis- using it.

CSGO

A few people here suggested bringing the camera into third person under certain circumstances, i.e. when someone is running the flag. 

However, the casters went overboard with it last night. They'd remain in third-person even after a flag had been capped. 

It's a good idea, it just needs to be executed correctly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be fair to StrongSide, SPNKR rockets were probably on Stasis in development at some point...

• Upvote (+1) 2

A few people here suggested bringing the camera into third person under certain circumstances, i.e. when someone is running the flag. 

However, the casters went overboard with it last night. They'd remain in third-person even after a flag had been capped. 

It's a good idea, it just needs to be executed correctly.

Casters shouldn't have to, in essence, carry the entire production. Right now we have them acting as Producers, Cameraman, Broadcast Director,  Play-by-Play, and Color-Analyst. These guys need more clear cut roles. We heap a lot of critiscm on them, but what about the system that they are in?

• Upvote (+1) 2

To be fair to StrongSide, SPNKR rockets were probably on Stasis in development at some point...

Brute Plasma Pistol confirmed?

I'm irrationally bothered by RNG doing well just because I'm sure it makes the Power Rankers feel smug.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Casters shouldn't have to, in essence, carry the entire production. Right now we have them acting as Producers, Cameraman, Broadcast Director,  Play-by-Play, and Color-Analyst. These guys need more clear cut roles. We heap a lot of criticism on them, but what about the system that they are in?

I recommend reading this article about and NFL Broadcast to understand how difficult it is to have top notch production value on top of running the tournament. Obviously Halo isn't as complex as an NFL game, but still pretty amazing what systems have to be in place

NFL Gameday Operations