CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

You are right there is no excuse, we should have been on top of it. Multiple changes to the maps and weapons over a 2 week period we shouldn't have made any mistakes. Btw, my name is Elamite, has been for 13 years ;)

I think we're gonna need a green name here @@CyReN

• Upvote (+1) 1

Production stuff

You pretty much just put all of my complaints into words, especially the stuff about "poorly educating." I don't think this kind of Halo 101 stuff needs to be in a Halo esports broadcast. Every other esport I've ever watched assumes that the viewers either know the basics of how the game works or can deduce it from watching, and a lot of those other esport games are exponentially more complicated than surface level Halo. The only things casters/analysts should worry about explaining to the viewers are the highest level gameplay aspects, and only when they are directly relevant to what we're seeing on the screen. There's always important plays being missed when things are being over-tutorialized.

Just my opinion obviously, and I mean no disrespect to any of the casters. I know it's not an easy job, and I imagine it's even harder to cast without an audience to play off of.

I finally caught up:

• NV were on fire last night, Mikwen and OLA were slaying everything in sight, and rayne and el town were doing great dirty obj work. 
  • On the other side of that coin, ALG and E6 (two teams I rate highly) looked a shadow of themselves, in ALG's case I am somewhat happy as this might get them to actually SCRIM. But E6 don't even have that arrogant excuse, they are much better than they are currenlty showing and I am stunned they did not put up a better fight.
  • Optic apart from missing the veto (of course they would) looked better than what I was expecting, will judge them more after tonight's match.
  • CLG and EG did what i expected by in large apart from dropping a map.
  • Commentary, i thought was good, miles better then what we are used to. Sorry edit: it  wasn't miles better but I felt it was certainly an improvement.
  • This third cam nonsense needs to stop, unless a player is running a flag it should not be used, in particular if z player on camera has a power weapon because as we saw then the viewers miss the action.
  • I like the veto system, I think it adds more strategy to the matches.

Correct me if I am wrong but they still haven't lost to anyone but CLG in real play. Until they do they are still the 2nd best team imo.

If we're only counting LAN then yes with the exception of losing in pool play to RNG at worlds. Nobody other than CLG has knocked them out of a LAN tournament that I can think of

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think we can all agree that improvements to casting/production can be made. Honestly it wasn't all that bad, I think that the casters in general do well considering how much they have to juggle. I think the fault lies more with the overall production team, they need to, as some said, take the load off the casters who as it is now are expected to literally carry the entire broadcast. How many professional sports commentators have to produce and arrange shots while they commentate a game that is so fast pace? Could you imagine having to be a cameraman, production manager, play-by-play caller, and color analyst at once?

I think we can agree even more so that Strongside should be banned from saying "Strong" I would wager he said strong roughly 400 times yesterday. I know its in his name but this is ridiculous, I was so distracted by him saying things like.

"When the match started Liquid came out strong, but as the game progressed EG got stronger. Roy didn't have his strongest game, but Suspector did come out strong and helped them win."

or

"Optic is really coming on strong here, it looks like CLG just isn't as strong in this match"

or

"Spartan the Dogg had a really strong game"

Can someone make a Strongside "Strong" montage for me?

I can't even tell if this is sarcasm, but whatever. Just a little annoyed about simple mistakes like talking about the wrong weapon which ultimately feeds incorrect information to the viewer, as well as the whole third person stuff.

You can tell me it's Elamite but I'll probably call you Elumnite again :P

As a kid who learned the scene during Reach, having an Elumnite, Elamite, and Aaron Elumn has been absolutely brutal.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Please do not dwell on what Dan said. We've all said things we don't mean when we're young and it's in the heat of the moment. Obviously I was upset as well and shouldn't have lashed out a bit like that. We were both in the wrong, have apologized to each other, and are fine now. No worries

Now I understand why everyone has a crush on you
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Introducing "3rd Person Is Great," the hot new product from the people who brought you "Breakout" and "Tea Bagging Is Banned."

Is tea bagging really banned?

Watching the rebroadcast I just turned it off halfway through the CLG OpTic series because they kept putting it into 3rd person and I really frustrated me. Cba with that.

Look who's in 1st place  :simms:

8PC6fKI.png

So..... Optic took a game from CLG.

#progress  :lxthul:

I think a lot of the presentation issues would be fixed if the casters weren't tasked with controlling the camera AND talking at the same time.

Also, instead of having stupid montages during downtime, they should have short video clips that go over map layouts, gametype rules/meta, player profiles. That way the casters aren't trying to (incorrectly) educate the audience during gameplay. They should simply focused on what's happening onscreen.

I would love a caster analysis of tea bagging.

"For those of you just joining us, Frosty just tea bagged Maniac. Tea bagging is where you have your Spartan stand over an opponent's dead body, and repeatedly tap crouch, to make it appear as if you're forcibly placing your balls in his mouth."

When this happened on Stasis, I was cringing worrying that one of the casters would use the phrase "tea bag". Thankfully they (I think elamite) went with "Frosty is doing some disrespect to so and so's corpse". I was relieved haha.

• Downvote (-1) 4

When this happened on Stasis, I was cringing worrying that one of the casters would use the phrase "tea bag". Thankfully they (I think elamite) went with "Frosty is doing some disrespect to so and so's corpse". I was relieved haha.

The term "teabagging" makes you cringe?

• Upvote (+1) 5

The term "teabagging" makes you cringe?

Only because I expect the broadcast to be somewhat professional. I have no problem with the term in general.

Thoughts on Pro League Day 1 Week 1:

• The EU casters were spectacular, NA, not so much.
  • 3rd person view is great when used at appropriate times. For example, when there's a standoff or if we're following someone running the flag. There should never be 3rd person view on a player with a power weapon in a flowing game. I'm looking for Day 2's camera work to be a lot better than the disaster that was Day 1.
  • XMen losing their first Pro League match was a bit of a shock at first, but when you see the players on the "Online Warriors" squad, it's not too much of a surprise. They call themselves "Online Warriors" for a reason.
  • RNG as a team outplayed E6 pretty convincingly. E6 seem to have days where they over-slay and not prioritize the objective as much as they would like too. RNG have a serious problem closing out SH games, but I think this is easily fixable if they just go over the last moments of the SH games through theater to figure out how to close games out a lot easier.
  • ALG have been surprisingly off lately, not sure why. NV have been stepping up their game, especially El town. Mikwen and Ola are killing it.
  • EG fans have a reason to be concerned with the squad, but to put them 7th/8th prematurely in a middle of a series is a little excessive. I have faith that EG will be better over the course of the Pro League because they have no choice, but to be better. They aren't playing for scrim results anymore.
  • I'm not completely sold with Assault as Liquid's 4th. Eco was impressive.
  • CLG doing CLG things. Frosty is too good. Optic taking a game was unexpected so fans should be happy with that.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Only because I expect the broadcast to be somewhat professional. I have no problem with the term in general.

Being politically correct and professional all the time is boring for viewers. Other esports have casters joking and having a good time and it's a lot more entertaining.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't think professionalism and fun need to be mutually exclusive though. In CSGO broadcasts there's a lot of commentary I wouldn't consider "professional" but it is fun/funny.

Everyone's going to have a certain way they think broadcasts should go but even sports commentators aren't 100% professional all of the time. I think if all they talked about was the game and stats and never made jokes or references things would get pretty boring. Just need to find the right balance.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Team nV really been stepping up to my pleasure. They've been grinding moderately in scrims and I believe they are either in their new NC house or moving soon which looks good. Couple takeaways from their 3-0 of ALG thanks to Halo5Arena

All of nV went positive except for Rayne while only CoNTrA went positive on ALG

Mikwen really went off with 9,139 DMG on three games which no one else on nV matched. Everyone else was at 6k. CoNTRa came close with 8k

While Strongholds is far and away nV's strong suit (looking at the preview tourney matches against E6 and EG) ALG was able to keep it close on Eden.

Even though they swept ALG every match was deathly close. 3-2 Coliseum CTF (my favorite CTF map), 50-47 Rig Slayer, and 100-84 Strongholds Eden. I don't think it was the fact that nV outslayed ALG (they had 2 more kills across the three matches), but they had better communication.

Good luck to the Boys in Blue today against E6! Considering E6 got rolled on by RNG and lost to NV 3-0 in preview tourney I feel they are hungry for a W which could play to E6's favor.

• Upvote (+1) 2

proleagueweek1day1results.jpg

scrimscores61.png

Don't forget to vote in today's match prediction survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/67N736K

So, are we going to pretend like Liquid didn't manhandle EG after the Pro League match last night? Sure, scrims are scrims, but they got beat 7-2 AND choked hard on most of the games they were winning.

EG not looking too hot, tbh. I guess at the end of the day winning when it counts matters the most. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

So, are we going to pretend like Liquid didn't manhandle EG after the Pro League match last night? Sure, scrims are scrims, but they got beat 7-2 AND choked hard on most of the games they were winning.

EG not looking too hot, tbh. I guess at the end of the day winning when it counts matters the most. 

To be completely honest, I didn't know that scrim happened. After the league match, I was busy watching the NBA Finals then turning off my TV in a rage as the Cavs were getting shit on by the Warriors in the 4th quarter with Steph and Klay having a below average night!... sorry I went off topic.

The Pro League has begun, we should start focusing less on scrim results and more on the pro league results. Lets keep that in mind for the next power ranking.

• Upvote (+1) 4

To be completely honest, I didn't know that scrim happened. After the league match, I was busy watching the NBA Finals then turning off my TV in a rage as the Cavs were getting shit on by the Warriors in the 4th quarter with Steph and Klay having a below average night!... sorry I went off topic.

The Pro League has begun, we should start focusing less on scrim results and more on the pro league results. Lets keep that in mind for the next power ranking.

I think at the end of the day, when I vote in the community power rankings, my voting distribution will go like this:

Pro League match results = 90%

Scrims = 10%