CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Uh Quinn???

Third-person is good when used correctly.

Whoever is blaming ESL for this, blame the casters. They're the ones holding the controller to switch PoVs. I haven't actually watched the VoD yet so I haven't seen how bad it is.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It was a good run

Yeah, this isn't true. Observer mode is coming to retail eventually per Holmes.

• Upvote (+1) 4

god those were those days, i spent way too much fucking money for a 15-18 year old kid.

my parents helped a lot too though

same. I still cant believe my parents let me go to Philly '05 by myself as a 16yr old.

Also, re: missing game 2. This shouldn't be an excuse. All the caster needs to do is load up Halo Waypoint, go to one of the eight players game history and click "Bookmark film".

kM0lHyP.png

This will add the film into theater mode, allowing for replays and stuff just like spectator mode.

Unless Waypoint was taking an hour to update game history or something last night, this should have been do-able.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I've been doing some thinking (which is rare) but I think ESL should control the camera or have an Observer(s). The only struggle is coordination with syncing the times with Elamites POV but play-by-play should focus on the game and curating discussion with their co-caster not switching. Also, it would be dope to have some dynamic camera shots. Team 1 is capping Basement? Get a wide shot of it. Player is pulling the flag? GET A WIDE SHOT.

I want something I've never seen before.

Also, I've seen the light and it had a 3 person casting team.

That's basically what everyone has been getting at when they mention Jeenyus over and over. He was low key the best and we never knew it. I'd imagine that has a lot to do with how the PoV switching went over so well in years past. Also I think your 3 person squad with 2gre and walsh the other day was the best casting Halo has seen in a long time. It was a good combination of all of the aspects that we need in a broadcast more so than it just being great due to having 3 people.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The fuck are so many people in here bitching for? Elamite was great, and SS was better than he usually is. Spectator sucks?No shit, but it didnt hurt watching it aside from seeing shots not be accurate. Even the use of third person wasnt bad - perfect example is El Town on Coli flag. Without 3rd person, you wouldnt get a sense of where the flags were, and why he was taking that particular route.

My only real complaint is the outlines should not be on all the time. It ruins the suspense, and intensity of the match. It should be used sparingly, not as a default.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've been doing some thinking (which is rare) but I think ESL should control the camera or have an Observer(s). The only struggle is coordination with syncing the times with Elamites POV but play-by-play should focus on the game and curating discussion with their co-caster not switching. Also, it would be dope to have some dynamic camera shots. Team 1 is capping Basement? Get a wide shot of it. Player is pulling the flag? GET A WIDE SHOT.

I want something I've never seen before.

Also, I've seen the light and it had a 3 person casting team.

I made this post a while back but I think it applies

100% Agree.

For major events we should have all player POVs and then 1-2 Observer modes running. That allows a producer the opportunity to switch between whatever action they like. It also takes the weight off the casters, they can just focus on the action on screen and not have to worry about following and commenting on 8 players all the time (have the 2nd caster or even a 3rd person to do that).

As for Pro League, I think Observer mode is necessary and hopefully it'll be released and used like they do in the COD League.

Basically 3 person casting team and once observer mode is good to go have dedicated observers. There might be difficulty in syncing everything up but as you said a caster should be focused on the action in front of them over switching. I think switching should be the job of a producer.

The fuck are so many people in here bitching for? Elamite was great, and SS was better than he usually is. Spectator sucks?No shit, but it didnt hurt watching it aside from seeing shots not be accurate. Even the use of third person wasnt bad - perfect example is El Town on Coli flag. Without 3rd person, you wouldnt get a sense of where the flags were, and why he was taking that particular route.

My only real complaint is the outlines should not be on all the time. It ruins the suspense, and intensity of the match. It should be used sparingly, not as a default.

The only real bad part of 3rd person was the one series between CLG and OpTic where we missed a triple kill, overkill, and killtac because it was 3rd person every time. Other than that, it wasn't horrible. It really should be used more sparingly though. 

Other than that, it was a real good stream.

The only real bad part of 3rd person was the one series between CLG and OpTic where we missed a triple kill, overkill, and killtac because it was 3rd person every time. Other than that, it wasn't horrible. It really should be used more sparingly though. 

Other than that, it was a real good stream.

yeah that was bad, but people would have just complained shots werent on target anyway :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not bitching, it's legitimate complaints for a league they want to see succeed. 

I just listened to strongside explain what the SPNKr is like compared to the regular Rockets, and flat out saying that player was holding them... on Stasis CTF where the regular Rocket Launcher is used and was being held by a player.

Not only did Strongside fail to correct himself, but Elamite didn't either.

EDIT: Not even fix minutes later and he called the Brute Plasma Rifle a Brute Plasma Pistol and once again, both Side and Elumnite didn't correct the error.

• Upvote (+1) 2

EG needs to start grinding. If they carry on like this, then they'll never be better than CLG. Good thing there's a team house now, so now they can grind it out together.

I'll correct yours :P

I've always gotten their names mixed :)

I'll try to boil down the nature of the production complains. 

When watching, we want to feel excited, invested, and most of all, entertained. But most of the time when watching, what I feel is frustration. Frustration that competitive Halo's potential is not being delivered. 

Presentation matters. I don't play CS:GO or Dota 2, but I'll watch Majors and The International because the presentation makes them so damn captivating. I got chills as the commentator exclaimed "How does he do this!?" as coldzera hit a no-scope double in Columbus. I've been hyped for DOTA plays that I didn't even understand. 

Halo casters spend far too much time poorly educating, not enough time engaging. If the goal is to bring new viewers into the fold, make high-quality premade videos explaining the basics of each gametype, play them before the match. 30-45 seconds, quick, clear. I don't want to hear the caster poorly explaining the rules of Strongholds each game. 

There was a moment in last night's cast where a Fathom Flag game was really reaching a boil. Both flags were pulled, there was a scramble for control, but it wasn't even mentioned in the cast. Instead we had a dry psuedo-analysis of a previous play that ran on way too long. 

Also, a lot of what passes for analysis on these streams is really poor. Multitasking observer mode and commentary surely contributes. A third caster would help. The reason people found Ogre 2's commentary so refreshing is that his analysis was concise and 100% on point. Other casters ramble vaguely, but Ogre 2 got to the point and nailed it. 

Take notes from Tasteless and Artosis, Scar and Toph, good sports commentators. I want the production to be so good that it's undeniable. That people watch it and want to Halo. I want to love the casts as much as I love the game itself. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Should we be concerned? Is he possibly acting out in a cry for help?

He's making us think these things because he wants to join Optic and be like AceNiaC

I've been doing some thinking (which is rare) but I think ESL should control the camera or have an Observer(s).

Also, it would be dope to have some dynamic camera shots.

Yes.

Doing dynamic shots would require two observers and a more comprehensive setup though. Since the Xbox cant do macros (and panning the camera around with joysticks can be kinda jumpy and not precise which would look amateurish) I'd imagine they'd need to have two observer screens set up and toggle between them.

For example one is watching the flag run and the other is getting their camera into position for the wide shot. toggle to the wide shot when applicable. (This also lets the observers work together to make sure they're not missing anything important)

The other thing they could do is have a third setup/person just going through theater mode recording the highlights they'll want for after the fact, this way even if the observers miss a nice play, it'll be available right after the game. Since this third screen wouldn't be toggling onto the live stream during the game at all the third obs can pause/switch pov's/rewind/do whatever they want.

Source: I know a thing or two about makin good vidyas

I fully recognize that the chances of 343/ESL going from -1 observer to 3 are slim to none (not that I blame them. The time and money they'd need to invest probably isn't worth it at this point).

He's making us think these things because he wants to join Optic and be like AceNiaC

Dream big!

Also thanks for bringing this back up. Just to be clear everyone, I was completely joking last night. I do not actually believe dan requires an online intervention of any sort.

I'm glad apg and Dan shook hands and moved on. That shows a lot of character from Dan which is great to see because from the sound of it he must be pretty young which isn't always conducive to mature and rational decisions.

Great job everyone see ya next time hi 5's all around.

You are right there is no excuse, we should have been on top of it. Multiple changes to the maps and weapons over a 2 week period we shouldn't have made any mistakes. Btw, my name is Elamite, has been for 13 years ;)

Well as long as you pinky promise not to let it happen ever again, we cool.

You are right there is no excuse, we should have been on top of it. Multiple changes to the maps and weapons over a 2 week period we shouldn't have made any mistakes. Btw, my name is Elamite, has been for 13 years ;)

I can't even tell if this is sarcasm, but whatever. Just a little annoyed about simple mistakes like talking about the wrong weapon which ultimately feeds incorrect information to the viewer, as well as the whole third person stuff.

You can tell me it's Elamite but I'll probably call you Elumnite again :P

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Please put strongside as an analyst. He knows the game pretty well and he's a great guy, but his play by play is pretty unbearable. I really like Elamite's casting but he needs someone a bit better at play by play sitting next to him. Casting wasn't AWFUL yesterday but there was some clear untapped potential with Elamite.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please do not dwell on what Dan said. We've all said things we don't mean when we're young and it's in the heat of the moment. Obviously I was upset as well and shouldn't have lashed out a bit like that. We were both in the wrong, have apologized to each other, and are fine now. No worries 

Spoken like a real man. Well done

• Upvote (+1) 6

Please put strongside as an analyst. He knows the game pretty well and he's a great guy, but his play by play is pretty unbearable. I really like Elamite's casting but he needs someone a bit better at play by play sitting next to him. Casting wasn't AWFUL yesterday but there was some clear untapped potential with Elamite.

I feel like a lot of the problems with the casting could be solved by having a 3rd caster there. EU did it and the casting was amazing.

You guys are a little quick to say EG is terrible etc. What happens if/when they win 3-1? Not that I'm saying they will but Liquid is not CLG. It could easily happen

Correct me if I am wrong but they still haven't lost to anyone but CLG in real play. Until they do they are still the 2nd best team imo.

• Upvote (+1) 2