CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

We were told if the winning team at PAX made any roster changes they would forfeit their league spot

By who? Because this is a big deal if so..

• Upvote (+1) 5

Naded leaving should not mean they lose their spot. People seem to be forgetting that there was 3 other players on the team that qualified.

That's entirely true. But the TEAM qualified. Not Maniac, Ace, Str8Sick, and a 4th. 

I'm a huge fan of Str8Sick's and really hope he gets to play in the pro league, but I think they should have to compete for their spot with whatever 4th they end up using. Especially if what Snipedown said is true and that the winning PAX team was required to maintain their roster to keep their spot, but apparently the LCQ team doesnt.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We were told if the winning team at PAX made any roster changes they would forfeit their league spot

So what you are saying is, what you heard was a....OpTical illusion of what happened?

horatio-caine-yeah-o.gif

• Upvote (+1) 7

The thing is this isn't OpTic making a team change just because they want to. This is Naded leaving OpTic FORCING them to make a team change. What are they going to do? Forfeit or just not play (lol prob tbh) until the roster change period?

Maybe they should be forced to use their coach/sub until the roster period? Flamesword.

idfk

• Upvote (+1) 9

Elevate is the clear runner-up from the LCQ, imo. I feel like they are the only team that proved they were pro league caliber outside the two that qualified. It would essentially be a test to determine if Optic was good enough to keep the spot over the next best team. Don't think an LCQ replay is necessary.

That's entirely true. But the TEAM qualified. Not Maniac, Ace, Str8Sick, and a 4th. 

I'm a huge fan of Str8Sick's and really hope he gets to play in the pro league, but I think they should have to compete for their spot with whatever 4th they end up using. Especially if what Snipedown said is true and that the winning PAX team was required to maintain their roster to keep their spot, but apparently the LCQ team doesnt.

How long was it until the roster were allowed to be changed? 

By who? Because this is a big deal if so..

Everyone at 343/ESL, it was one of the main things they said in the player meeting before the tournament started. We would have had to completely requalify even if just one player was switched

• Upvote (+1) 5

I see the problem and concern, but what can you do about it? Forbid a team change? Punish the entire team because one player decided he wanted to retire? What if Optic had no idea that Naded was going to retire at the end of the day?

Everything Optic is and has done is within the rules, so in my opinion its fair play. Grimey, but fair play.

EDIT: And No, you couldnt hire both to carry sweet old Bertha to the pro league. One team change per team rule(right?) If a team makes two transactions, do they lose their spot? Who takes over the spot in the HPL, a challenger team or..?

seriously do you remember when Brett did the vlog about joining optic I'm serious about the org gonna be with them along time. He says this every fucking time. I love Brett but Brett will never be satisfied with any team. He gets mad he gets disgusted.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The thing is this isn't OpTic making a team change just because they want to. This is Naded leaving OpTic FORCING them to make a team change. What are they going to do? Forfeit or just not play (lol prob tbh) until the roster change period?

Maybe they should be forced to use their coach/sub until the roster period? Flamesword.

idfk

Forcing use of coach is a great alternative to just having to forfeit until the roster lock. The main thing though is that this sets a precedent for how they will handle this situation in the future. It needs to have very serious negative side effects for everyone involved, including Naded, so that things like this aren't common or desirable for anyone. How they're doing it right now just means that the player can quit until next season with no repercussions allowing team changes when they aren't supposed to be allowed at all. It just makes the roster lock meaningless in the face of anyone who is willing to wait around 2 months.

I just find it funny how people believe Naded left the team without checking with ESL first. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

You missed your chance.  :mj:

If you don't call two crisp Naded Memes in under 30 minutes a quick turnaround, I dont know what to tell you  :simms:

You just need to negotiate relocation costs into your signing. If you need an agent, hmu ;)

Also, OpTic having to requalify for pro league would be stupid IMO. This doesn't happen in LCS or CS:GO majors when teams qualify for leagues/tournaments. In Dota, you have a set roster for Majors and TI, but those rosters are also allowed subs for circumstances such as this.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I just find it funny how people believe Naded left the team without checking with ESL first. 

It's not that he didn't check with ESL, it's what Snipedown is saying. If it is true that even if one player left, that they would lose their spot, that rule should still hold. At best, OpTic should have to replay the number 2 team in the LCQ. At worst, they lose their spot and have to qualify all over again. It seems simple enough to me, and fair to all parties involved. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Guys, a little off topic given the Naded situation, but is there any news of a Major Open LAN event? We havent had a big 4v4 open LAN since 2012..

• Upvote (+1) 1

You just need to negotiate relocation costs into your signing. If you need an agent, hmu ;)

Probably a contractor position, which I highly doubt comes with any re-location assistance. 

Source: They are looking for someone local only  :simms:

@@Vivi confirmed that Naded reached out to ESL first. That's not the issue. The issue is that Optic qualified through the LCQ with a roster that they won't even be using in the Pro League.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sucks that Naded quite literally carries Optic to pro league than dips out. But, I can't say I blame him for not wanting to stick it out with folks who don't seem to come close to sharing his drive.

The more I watch Visions and the content players put out on their own, the more it seems like Optic halo is willing to ride the strength of the greenwall rather than strive to be the best Halo team on the planet. I might be way off, but that's just the vibe I get. I saw Flamesword talking about his plans to get a haircut and do some shopping on the day of the LQC. Then, if I'm not mistaken he ran to get food in the middle of it all. I know he's just a glorified time keeper, but I can't help but question the squads dedication when they keep people around like that.

Also, it sucks to see yet another well respected pro taking a "break". The competitive scene is just starting to rebound, yet the players are dropping like flies. I would have liked to see some of this folks team with AMs who are serious about taking it to the next level.

If I'm not mistaken, Brutes reasoning was staying local to his family who dont want to relocate.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Everyone at 343/ESL, it was one of the main things they said in the player meeting before the tournament started. We would have had to completely requalify even if just one player was switched

Is this written in the rules anywhere? 

I wonder if they will enforce this.

Guys, a little off topic given the Naded situation, but is there any news of a Major Open LAN event? We havent had a big 4v4 open LAN since 2012..

A Major, no. But we're doing a $3,000 tournament this month at Esports Arena. Info in my signature.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Well, this poses a problem for ESL. 

However, we also don't know what happened in the talks between ESL and Naded. Naded may very well be dealing with more than he wanted to say in public, which could warrant treatment similar to what APG and Liquid got. Meaning ESL will keep quiet to respect his privacy and Naded will keep quiet because we don't need to/deserve to know all the details of his private life. 

Maybe we should try not cranking this up to 11. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

If I'm not mistaken, Brutes reasoning was staying local to his family who dont want to relocate.

I thought he was talking about just packing up and moving out there himself for the opportunity (not the worst idea ever honestly). 

It's not that he didn't check with ESL, it's what Snipedown is saying. If it is true that even if one player left, that they would lose their spot, that rule should still hold. At best, OpTic should have to replay the number 2 team in the LCQ. At worst, they lose their spot and have to qualify all over again. It seems simple enough to me, and fair to all parties involved. 

What Snip3down was saying could have been true for PAX, but not true for the LCQ. There is a difference. Team makes a change after making pro league at PAX? Still time to requalify. Team makes a team change after qualifying via LCQ? No other chance to get in. 

Also have to think that Naded simply retiring for the season is not considered a team change by ESL. Did someone at PAX ask "what if our teammate decides to quit halo, do we keep our spot?".

• Upvote (+1) 4