CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

@@mediabrute Sorry to hear about that situation. Glad you have good things to say about the players though. It's crazy hearing about all of the shady stuff going on in eSports lately. tisk tisk

Brian 'SixTen' Russell, the owner, was a "well respected member of the halo community"

Coached a few times previously, like Severance and Elevate.

Anyway, I'm approached in early March by him and Chaos (Coach for Str8 Rippin)- we were actually introduced by Cratos(Cratos has nothing further to do with this story.)

I sign a contract, to be paid $800 month. Run all social media, graphics, etc. We first sign Swish, and then drop him and end up picking up Gabriel & friends (the most well known Soul roster.)

During this time, I am turning around tons of graphics, participating in business calls with sponsors, searching for our next team, for COD. At this point,as you may remember, I get robbed and get my macbook stolen among $3000 worth of other gear. We come to an agreement that instead of him paying me $800/month, he'll send me a MacbookPro to replace my stolen one as well as a pair of Astros. This would cover my wages until June. 

It's sent, I'm told, back in early May. I'm supposed to be flown out (as per my contract) to Burbank for the lan- that doesn't materialize. All I am sent is a case of Keeper Energy Drinks,from one of our sponsors. Brian goes pretty MIA for a while, leaving me to fend for myself in regards to running the day to day operations. Then, I get a text saying "I sold Soul for a fuck load of money" and that he finally sent my Macbook. Still hasn't come yet. Wasted my time. 

The players, I can't really speak for. I know they got screwed also but not to what extent. Gabriel, Munoz Juicyfruit/Nemassist and King Nick were standup guys.

There will be an article coming out. I will post it to my twitter later (I know the admin team isn't looking for driveby twitter posts, so I won't post it out of respect to them.)

TLDR; Brian SixTen Russell scammed me out of >$2000 in wages, never paid player salaries, and intentionally tried to fuck over Randa/Elevate.

Well, thats a damn shame.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If we could stop having trash orgs it would be great. I think there should be some sort of standard required to even participate in leagues with very real consequences for people like this since right now it appears the only thing you have to do is wave around some shitty contracts and money then bail on some random kids without the will/means to pursue legal action. We really don't need community members and players getting screwed after just about every single tournament.

If we could stop having trash orgs it would be great. I think there should be some sort of standard required to even participate in leagues with very real consequences for people like this since right now it appears the only thing you have to do is wave around some shitty contracts and money then bail on some random kids without the will/means to pursue legal action. We really don't need community members and players getting screwed after just about every single tournament.

No such thing as trash orgs. There are orgs, and there are orgs run by trash people. I can think of a couple...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thats on the players to do their due diligence unfortunately.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Commonly w/ C9

:intel:

That would be "intel" if someone from RNG didn't post a different picture of a different org every other day.

God I wish I had money to start an org.

So you can be a reliable, trusted and respected org? Paying it's staff and players on time, correctly and with adequate communication?

I've had the same thought.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I personally find it hard to believe that SixTen sold the org for "a fuckload of money" (how he defines a "fuckload", I don't know).  Not really sure how an eSports organization is valued, but I'm guessing the size and success of the org would be a major factor.  Since Soul only has a Halo faction, they're obviously not pulling in much money due to the shortage of Halo tournaments and sponsors.  The org hasn't even proved anything yet either, considering it's technically not even a professional org/team.

Regardless, that is a terrible situation and I feel awful for @@mediabrute.  Sucks to hear when people get screwed over.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Thats on the players to do their due diligence unfortunately.

people get burnt because they don't have lawyers 

i'd never sign anything without having council look at it 

I'm pretty sure @@Saucey has posted this numerous times in the past but players have to stop going for any org out there right away. It doesn't make your team look that much better and for the most part they seem to always backfire eventually.

Hope it works out for everyone involved, sucks to see this stuff still happen.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I knew that randa thing was them. That's hilarious.

Less hilarious story from @@mediabrute, I'm sorry to hear that happened.

I considered reaching out to you after I saw that soul was dead in the water about working with me but I can't imagine you're too hot to jump back on that pony at this point.

Players/everyone really need to just be painstakingly skeptical of everything at this point. These bad orgs will keep popping up as long as the scene lets them unfortunately.

Thats awful.

But is a shitload of money for an org a LIFE CHANGING amount of money?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

people get burnt because they don't have lawyers

i'd never sign anything without having council look at it

While that's definitely the best practice, it's not always an option for everyone. That's why I plan on covering counsel fees for my players so they can choose their own lawyer to go over their contracts prior to signing them.

I personally find it hard to believe that SixTen sold the org for "a fuckload of money" (how he defines a "fuckload", I don't know). Not really sure how an eSports organization is valued, but I'm guessing the size and success of the org would be a major factor. Since Soul only has a Halo faction, they're obviously not pulling in much money due to the shortage of Halo tournaments and sponsors. The org hasn't even proved anything yet either, considering it's technically not even a professional org/team.

Regardless, that is a terrible situation and I feel awful for @@mediabrute. Sucks to hear when people get screwed over.

20K is my guess. Though I can't imagine why someone would pay for the name when they can just change the trailing word from "esports" to "gaming" or something and just go by "soul"