CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I miss when our content creators used their time summarizing these Live streams on the new updates instead of wasting them on Power Rankings.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Can someone please explain to me why Snipedown is complaining, EG are in the top 4 aren't they?

Jesus christ i expected this from the fans but why do the pro's care, if were wrong prove it. don't bitch about it.

I agree with one point he made though, the power rankings are inaccurate at the moment, nothing will change that, all the variables are not fixed yet and by that I mean, we don't know who is in the pro league, teams are not yet fully formed, teams that are qualified may not be trying to win scrims but rather learn from them i.e trying out different strats and shit and lastly but not least all teams locations are not yet set (i.e some teams may move into a team house).

So until the pro league starts, the power rankings will be inherently inaccurate, but it is not designed to be 100% accurate and factual, this is just supposed to be a bit of fun, and a piece of content for the community (i think its great despite the obvious flaws as it gets the community involved and creates hype).

I get it, your team is not ranked as high as you perceive to it be and that hurts, but stop bitching about your placement in A COMMUNITY POWER RANKING (it really should not matter to you) and prove you should be placed higher. It really is that simple.

1. They have proved they're higher than 4

2. Not sure if you saw but it's not just Snipedown. It's various pros on Twitter joking about it as well

@@aPK scrims should never be taken into account for power rankings tbh. Just don't do anymore power rankings until we have tourneys.

I Agree with Goldenboy in that regard.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 16

Goes to Beyond main page, sees tons of none halo content, a Screenshot link, and power rankings. Nothing interesting, feels bad.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

It's four people getting together, giving their top 8 like any other person on these forums and listing them as more important. I'm not bothered, I'm laughing a little

Thanks man, this post means a lot to me because it's nice to see someone who understands what we're trying to accomplish. When I first proposed the idea of doing power rankings, it was with the sole intent of providing competitive Halo fans some type of regular content that would get them more invested into the professional scene, whether it was discussing it on forums or tuning into pro streams to keep up with their favorite teams. In the opening lines of the first ever email I sent out to our power rankers I said, "Before I start, I’d like to personally thank all of you for taking part in this project. Our hope is that these weekly Beyond Power Rankings will prove to be a great resource for the Halo community and help generate persistent interest and viewership".

To provide an analogy for what I think power rankings can do for casual and potential future fans of competitive Halo: When I was in college the vast majority of my friends were huge hockey fans and prior to attending college I hadn't watched a single hockey game in my life. When we'd hang out on weekends, they'd discuss all the things happening in the NHL and provide their takes on them, especially with their favorite team (the Wild). Hearing their vastly different opinions on what certain wins and losses meant got me very interested in the team and sport, and I found myself progressively watching more and more Wild games until I was becoming a regular viewer and fan. I graduated last summer and we haven't been able to hang out regularly as much, and as a result my fandom has decreased gradually over this past season to the point where I've almost stopped watching hockey entirely.

Yes, not every online Halo scrimmage matters. Every team in every form of competition has off days and days where they perform far above expectations. I see scrimmages to be similar to NBA/MLB/NHL regular season games; there's a lot of them and sometimes the results are flukey and not really indicative of teams' relative strength to each other. But earlier in the NBA season when the Bucks (my favorite team) beat the Warriors to hand them their first loss of the season, they shot up a few spots in the power rankings the following week and obviously I was very excited over the win. It's small moments like these throughout a "season" that generates interest, and I think highlighting them is important.

Yeah stop making content where a bunch of community members come together and give their opinions on the top eight teams you should go back to creating content like Major League Gaming where... 

Oh.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Given how much conversation and discussion these rankings have generated I think they have been a great success!

I regret nothing about my submissions and really enjoy doing them.

Thanks for ranking Envy highest among the experts ;)

• Upvote (+1) 4

If you are talking and discussing power rankings - good or bad, then they have done their job.

The point of power rankings;

1. Attempt to accurately gauge the ups and downs of teams

2. Engage the community with content they care about, and not some half assed podcast crap.

I also find it hysterical that "we need more content around competitive Halo" - and yet when we produce said content all of the sudden it's a "oh yeah you should just hold off, power rankings aren't needed".

Guess what. Power Rankings are happening, they've been happening, and they aren't going anywhere.

SO STRAP IN.

Agreed, don't take the opinion of a retired Halo caster too seriously, loving the power rankings. 

If you are talking and discussing power rankings - good or bad, then power rankings are a success, and have done their job.

The point of power rankings;

1. Attempt to accurately gauge the ups and downs of teams

2. Engage the community with content they care about, and not some half assed podcast crap.

I also find it hysterical that "we need more content around competitive Halo" - and yet when we produce said content all of the sudden it's a "oh yeah you should just hold off, power rankings aren't needed".

Guess what. Power Rankings are happening, they've been happening, and they aren't going anywhere.

SO STRAP IN.

Then I suggest your staff should stop ridiculing people for discussing them, "good or bad" :)
  • Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 15

1. They have proved they're higher than 4

2. Not sure if you saw but it's not just Snipedown. It's various pros on Twitter joking about it as well

They proved they were the best team at Xgames, they have not really proved they are higher than 3rd-4th since then. Furthermore, rosters are entirely different since then. EG cannot seriously think because of their xgames placement that they are automatically in the top 2. GET REAL! They won a pax event with 4 teams when those teams had just formed unlike them who had A MONTH to practice. 

God damn people relax, the power rankings are a great piece of content and we should be lucky people in this community care enough to do them for us. Of course the pro's will joke around, but who cares, it is up to them to prove to us where they should be ranked, rather than us just catering to their ego's.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They proved they were the best team at Xgames, they have not really proved they are higher than 3rd-4th since then. Furthermore, rosters are entirely different since then. EG cannot seriously think because of their xgames placement that they are automatically in the top 2. GET REAL! They won a pax event with 4 teams when those teams had just formed unlike them who had A MONTH to practice.

You're proving my point.

Also stop talking about the past season, x games has nothing to do with this season bruh

EG dominated a LAN with nV there, who after two LANs look like an extremely good LAN team. They are undefeated at the only tournament they were required to attend. It's not their fault they didn't have to attend the tourney this weekend.

They've already qualified so naturally their practice will be less impressive. But who the hell tanks teams off practice?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This is where the power rankings crossed the line :lxthul:

You're proving my point.

Also stop talking about the past season, x games has nothing to do with this season bruh

EG dominated a LAN with nV there, who after two LANs look like an extremely good LAN team.

They've already qualified so naturally their practice will be less impressive. But who the hell tanks teams off practice?

That is all we have to go off of. As I had said Pax is an inaccurate representation of E6, NV, and Optic. So just because EG won that when they had an inherent advantage due to the fact that they been together longer than a week they are automatically given 2nd despite the fact they have not looked anywhere near as impressive since nor are they practicing much at all.

In all sports assumptions are made off of a preseason, this is our pre-season and well EG looks underwhelming. Therefore, their placement will obviously suffer 

EDIT:I am not saying these assumptions are always accurate but that is NOT THERE PURPOSE otherwise, no one would do power rankings until the end of the season(to ensure 100% accuracy), it is done to give viewers an indication of how the team is performing in the build-up to the new season, those fans can then either dismiss it (like you are) or accept it, it is just to give more casual viewers an indication of how all teams are performing in the build-up to the new season, it is not meant to be taken as gospel.

Stop being so butthurt saying these shouldn't be made until tournaments when you yourself were in the process of making 1 just prior to APK releasing his. You were going to do the EXACT same thing

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Every time I think it's finally over the ranking discussion starts back up.

SimpsonsGrandpaTurnAround.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

We can barely get pros to contribute on the forums but when the Power Rankings come out their posting game is stronggggggg.  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 2

What if Liquid picks up 2gre and they make pro league?!

2gre would be in... :prayers:

probably going to be Heinz, he's so good, although, not really sure if he's better than 2gre

Elevate's team is already confirmed and submitted into Open Cups 1 and 2

YIKHgCp.png

• Upvote (+1) 2

Then I suggest your staff should stop ridiculing people for discussing them, "good or bad" :)

I suggest you stop making things up, nowhere in my post did I ridicule anyone for legitimately discussing power rankings. The only thing I have seen staff commenting on are people who are going overboard with their reactions to a weekly power rankings article.

I do have a difficulty understanding why anyone would say content around competitive Halo "is not necessary" like magically there is all the sudden an abundance of interesting quality content? (there is not). (In before Fletch quotes this plugging his youtube series coming soonTM).

Power Rankings are a fun way to see where your team lands every week, you can take stock in them, you can disagree with them, but to say "Scrap engaging content" is absolutely ridiculous. 

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I suggest you stop making things up, nowhere in my post did I ridicule anyone for legitametly discussing power rankings. 

I do have a difficulty understanding why anyone would say content around competitive Halo "is not necessary" like magically there is all the sudden an abundance of interesting quality content? (there is not). (In before Fletch quotes this plugging his youtube series coming soonTM).

Power Rankings are a fun way to see where your team lands every week, you can take stock in them, you can disagree with them, but to say "Scrap engaging content" is absolutely ridiculous. 

Shut up you McNugget reject I disagree with your opinions I hate you now is not the time for content, that comes later.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Anyone know why last nights RNG v ELV scrim isn't showing up on H5arena? It showed 6-1 when I went to bed last night and now it's gone.

Edit: It's up now. Also, looking at the games it was never 6-1. Maybe just needed to catch up after last nights internet outage.

Classic RNG to choke a 6-3 lead though... :/

Hey, it was screwed somehow. Seems like Danoxide changed Gamertag at some point and the API did response with different tags for the games which lead to the weird result.

I did reprocess the matchup now:

Renegades vs Elevate 6:7

http://halo5arena.com/matchup/994

Thanks @Moses_FPS for the info!

• Upvote (+1) 6

There's some serious good discussion to be had about teams that doesn't involve just arguing about the method behind the rankings. People just need to get past any thought that these are meant to be taken as gospel.

There's a difference in discussion between "wtf are these power rankings?" and "I disagree and this is why."

They're a bit of fun and they help me keep up to date with scrims and performances. 

Good post.

I suggest you stop making things up, nowhere in my post did I ridicule anyone for legitimately discussing power rankings.

I almost stopped reading after the first sentence because I wasn't referring to you and I 100% didn't say you did anything when I responded to you. Go back and read it.

And "scrap engaging content" is hyperbolic, the only thing pros and some of your members, including myself, are saying is that RIGHT NOW they don't make sense and aren't needed.

If you want to do them, go for it, I'm clearly a fan, but I think if you ARE going to use scrims and ONLY scrims to judge teams then you're doing it wrong. It's practice.

That is all we have to go off of. As I had said Pax is an inaccurate representation of E6, NV, and Optic. So just because EG won that when they had an inherent advantage due to the fact that they been together longer than a week they are automatically given 2nd despite the fact they have not looked anywhere near as impressive since nor are they practicing much at all.

In all sports assumptions are made off of preseason, this is our pre-season and well EG looks underwhelming. Therefore, their placement will obviously suffer

Just agree to disagree because at every turn you're downplaying EG with whatever excuse you can come up with.

"Inaccurate representation", so it's EGs fault they showed up and performed and E6 didn't? Nv showed up and EG beat them twice...

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just wish we could do power rankings that give a little more weight to performances when performance mattered. They seem a bit more like a hyper meter atm than an objective gauging of talent a lot of the time. That would be more boring though and difficult with new teams so I understand why they're done how they are.

I just wish we could do power rankings that give a little more weight to performances when performance mattered. They seem a bit more like a hyper meter atm than an objective gauging of talent a lot of the time. That would be more boring though and difficult with new teams so I understand why they're done how they are.

Exactly. Weekly power rankings don't make sense when not every team is competing weekly.

They should be overall power rankings with adjustments made for teams that competed recently, not due to scrims.

• Upvote (+1) 1