CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Homie you were the one accusing us of conspiring against legitimate rankings for clicks because your favorite team didn't get a good rank. Not a good look for you.

Plenty of people said "cool rankings, but I disagree with them because of X, Y, and Z, here is what I would do". Perfect example of actual discussion.

Others subtweeted accusing us of bias, and you tried to burn down our efforts because of two roster errors that were present in the article for 30s last week.

We don't care if people are upset about the ranks but belittling the premise altogether just is silly.

It has noooothig to do with my favorite team, I know that's probably impossible for anybody to believe considering my bias but I'm just trying to understand given scrims and tournament results how RNG ties for two and EG moves down based off practice.

I obviously agree with the premise, look how passionate I've been about them. I act the same way when I offer feedback with 343, with passion (sometimes too much). I care enough about the staff and website to want to improve the article. I'm invested in this site (literally).

Power rankings are one of my favorite things about competition. They're addicting. I just want them to make some sense dawg. I also offered plenty of constructive feedback and reasoning on why I disagreed after my state of bewilderment. Apologies for the harsh reaction, I'll admit, it was overstated.

BUT, I do think you guys are going about it wrong.

@@Moses_FPS had great suggestions. I also highly suggest getting more voters in there.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My power ranking.

1. CLG

2. RNG.

3. Reality Check

4. EG

5. E6

6. 2006 Final Boss

7. Scyotics team

8. Optic.

:lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 5

At the end - "My next one's going to be about the radar system, and how you can manipulate it, and how you can't."

I know you're excited.

"The last item is a slight increase to movement speed while crouching. This has been increased to allow for crouching to be a more viable choice for players to flank and attack. The speed isn’t drastic, but after months of testing we’ve found it to be the sweet spot."

RIP No radar dream

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just find it crazy that Team Liquid at Worlds only dropped 3 games to Denial the entire tournament and currently none of those members are qualified for the Pro League and at least one won't make it in.  I'm hoping that Liquid gets in because I'm a huge fan of Spartan and I'm hoping OpTic gets in because they have a lot of potential as a team and to grow the scene, but then I really wish I could see how good Elevate can be.

but if Elevate is out of THIS iteration of Pro League, there is no reason why they wouldn't grind together and get ready for the next one. There IS going to be a next one.

Also, they'd be a hot team to scrim for Pro Teams not looking to give away too much to other qualified teams. They'll be around, imo

• Upvote (+1) 1

My power ranking.

1. CLG

2. RNG.

3. Reality Check

4. EG

5. E6

6. 2006 Final Boss

7. Scyotics team

8. Optic.

Switch around optic and reality check and we have the same list!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Switch around optic and reality check and we have the same list!

Is optic and RC better than Final boss?  :thinking:

:kappa:

Was the RNG vs Denial series off stream? I can't find it in the rebrodcast.

My power ranking.

1. CLG

2. RNG.

3. Reality Check

4. EG

5. E6

6. 2006 Final Boss

7. Scyotics team

8. Optic.

This is fucking bullshit.

I'm super fucking biased towards RC, how could

you possibly put them under CLG? CLG hasn't even scrimmed as much as RC!!!

• Upvote (+1) 3

Was the RNG vs Denial series off stream? I can't find it in the rebrodcast.

Yep, unfortunately.

Homie you were the one accusing us of conspiring against legitimate rankings for clicks because your favorite team didn't get a good rank. Not a good look for you.

Plenty of people said "cool rankings, but I disagree with them because of X, Y, and Z, here is what I would do". Perfect example of actual discussion.

Others subtweeted accusing us of bias, and you tried to burn down our efforts because of two roster errors that were present in the article for 30s last week.

We don't care if people are upset about the ranks but belittling the premise altogether just is silly.

Cool Rankings and I agree with everything however I would swap E6 and Renegades around, in my opinion renegades were relatively fortunate to qualify after optic's collapse whereas E6 have looked dominat online and on Lan but hey thats just my opinion.

I was going to say to switch optic and nv around but then realized the league is online, and optic appear to be gods online, therefore putting them 7th would be incredibly foolish. It could be argued for that reason that optic should be placed even higher Allegiance, seeing as they struggle significantly online as well.

@@VinFTW it may be worth remembering that online scrimmages mean quite a lot in power rankings when the league will also be online. I mean my team is ranked 7th behind a team who is not qualified and I am not even disputing it because they suck in scrimmages. Everything is relative right now, NV have not moved into their team house yet, EG and CLG may not be going all out yet as they have already qualified, we won't know where every team should truly be placed until half way through the league when every team has played a significant number of matches and all the variables are fixed. So everyone please calm the fuck down. Why does it even matter where your team is ranked for Christ sake, why do you have to be reinsured by an external source about the quality of your team, if you like them, support them, and when they rise to the top gloat a little but don't go making harsh accusations to the content creators. 

I guarantee you every one will have a different opinion on where each team should be, hell I wouldn't be surprised if someone included elevate or denial.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No smee, online scrimmages don't mean much compared to Pro League matches.

If you've ever played a sport you'd know you approach scrimmages vastly different than a game, even though you're playing on the same ice.

It's a mental thing.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Again, this is how averages work. No one had them ranked #2 but they ended up #2, so he was technically right. None of us had them #2.

I thought I posted this before, but here is the exact breakdown of how the personal power rankings are tallied and then aggregated:

043c7e5dc6f0a17664ca2306971d27d1.png

As you can see, only four points separated #2 through #5, and only two points separated Renegades, Enigma 6, and Evil Geniuses.

-

For those interested in the specifics of how the final rankings are devised:

Technically we don't average out the scores. The reason for this is because there are more teams than there are power rankings spots. This means that in some cases, a team will be ranked by some and not by others. However, you cannot quantify those cases. For example, Simms did not rank OpTic but the rest of us did (4th, 4th, and 5th). Since you cannot quantify them not being ranked in Simms personal rankings, you cannot find their proper average rank.

To get around this, I instead assign points based on rank and devise the top 8 based on total points accumulated across the four rankings. This is how it's done for all college sports where they rank the top 25 teams in the nation. In those rankings, you will always see at the bottom "Other vote-getters" which lists all the teams that received any points. In our own power rankings, X-Men would be an example of this with one point. Back during the lead up to HWC, Cloud9 and Epsilon were in a similar situation week to week.

Edit: NVM

Did Goldenboy stream yesterday or is that today? Goldenboy please don't gary us.

Oh yeah whatever happened with that whole situation? I must have missed it. Did he end up showing up and talking to someone at least or what? 

No smee, online scrimmages don't mean much compared to Pro League matches.

If you've ever played a sport you'd know you approach scrimmages vastly different than a game, even though you're playing on the same ice.

It's a mental thing.

How are they meant to place teams then, Just think about it, if no matches have been played and there hasn't been an event where all 8 teams are present then how are they meant to rank the best 8 teams.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Unless I missed someone else saying it I guess I'm the only one who caught that E6 got 2nd and RNG 3rd not a tie for 2nd? E6 point total was incorrectly calculated as 3 2nd place votes at 7 each would be 21 points plus 1 6th at 3 points is 24 not 22. RNG 22 was accurate, so...

e6 only got 2 2nd place votes. The other is EG. It confused me at first also
  • Upvote (+1) 1

A lot of people seem to feel like we're obligated to take the scrim and tournament results as gospel with NO other insight allowed.

A huge part of what informs my sense of the power rankings is how the teams look and sound when they're playing. Yes, execution and results are the most significant factor. But when I watch RNG play, it's pretty obvious to me they have the _capacity_ to crush anybody, and even stay competitive with CLG. Isn't that what power rankings are about? Which team you're most scared of?

Maybe it's better to award teams a score instead of a rank. 0-10, 10 being the best. Then for me it would look like:

CLG   10

RNG    8

EG       7.5

E6       6

ALG    5.5

OG      5

TL       4

NV      3

I'm not actually saying CLG is 3 times better than NV or anything, just trying to give a sense of closeness between teams. A team with a score of zero would still be a sick team, all things considered.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1