CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Always happy to help, however I think there are people with much more expertise than I when it comes to US teams. I'm just a little EU scrublet :mj:

well as you can see, clearly not :simms:

For power rankings it's always good to have more people involved.

Hell, each team coach or captain from top 8 teams should throw in power rankings, that's how my high school hockey power rankings were done.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In my opinion, there should be two casters and a dedicated observer who understands what to look for in halo or has a checklist of things to look at like; sniper, flag pull, rockets in 10s let's watch this battle for them, etc. who also controls the observer mode. 

100% Agree.

For major events we should have all player POVs and then 1-2 Observer modes running. That allows a producer the opportunity to switch between whatever action they like. It also takes the weight off the casters, they can just focus on the action on screen and not have to worry about following and commenting on 8 players all the time (have the 2nd caster or even a 3rd person to do that).

As for Pro League, I think Observer mode is necessary and hopefully it'll be released and used like they do in the COD League.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So nobody streamed from EG vs Elevate last night? 

I hope teams don't go back to not streaming their scrims. I wish teams like e6/denial/elevate would stream theirs so I can post vods from less often seen teams too. I feel like all I post on r/prohalovods is eg, clg, rng and optic. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

EG was on a 3 series losing streak in scrims until tonight, no scrims are meaningless. Unless they were on and just not even trying like it was MM. They are practicing just the same. I don't see a problem with them being 4th for the week. E6 has had good online scrim results then came into a group people didn't think they were getting out of and dominated optic. RNG shouldn't necessarily be higher than EG, I could see EG 3rd. But still it's just this week guys, don't get too upset. 

But you are supposed to stir the pot and cause more drama, that is your main JOB !!!

:lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 1

well as you can see, clearly not :simms:

61541029.jpg

Seriously tho, sorry if my rankings have messed things up a little. With been away a little this week and only been 70% through this weekend's qualifiers I made my predictions off of a variety of things/factors. I did do some mock groups before the event and I wasn't far off at all so thought they would be fair assumptions.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Excellent video. If you ever plan on teaching people tips and tricks related to the Flag, you can load up the Neutral Flag gametype in custom games and you'll have a Flag available for pick-up even if it's just you in the lobby.

Saves you having to find a friend.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Excellent video. If you ever plan on teaching people tips and tricks related to the Flag, you can load up the Neutral Flag gametype in custom games and you'll have a Flag available for pick-up even if it's just you in the lobby.

Saves you having to find a friend.

Right, load up Arena Breakout and change the round timer to infinite. Also works for anyone else just wanting to practice flag-running technique. 

Power rankings are irrelevant to me, because as it stands no team is better than CLG. I'll get excited once someone has a chance at beating them.

@@Saucey why don't we have a PogChamp emote yet? Pro League's right around the corner aZf5RoG.png

• Upvote (+1) 4

@@aPK Not sure how other power rankings work, but not sure why you guys don't discuss them before finalizing them, instead of doing indiv. "secret" lists which are then averaged. Would also prevent another scenario where a team gets a higher overall/avg ranking than any of its indiv. rankings.

Just a thought, might produce rankings that elicit less butthurt  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@@aPK Not sure how other power rankings work, but not sure why you guys don't discuss them before finalizing them, instead of doing indiv. "secret" lists which are then averaged. Would also prevent another scenario where a team gets a higher overall/avg ranking than any of its indiv. rankings.

Just a thought, might produce rankings that elicit less butthurt :simms:

People are gonna get butt hurt regardless...

Other sports do Power Rankings in a very similar way; a bunch of analysts rank teams based on what they feel are the implications of each team's performance from the week prior.

Then they take average of each analysts rankings and present it as an overall power ranking. They often publish the individual analysts power rankings along side the overall.

A "discussion" really wouldn't have helped here, because 3 of the analysts felt like EG, needed to go down the list.

i just don't get how this is confusing lol

i'll explain why it's confusing

1. people don't read shit, let's get that out of the way

2. they're weekly power rankings and currently it doesn't matter how a team does week to week (it will once pro league starts)

so with 1 & 2 in mind it's easy to see why people are confused at nV being below optic or EG being 4th

my solutions

1. Add 'weekly' to the title so instead of 'TEAM BEYOND HCS POWER RANKINGS', it's 'TB weekly HCS power rankings'

2. do overall rankings twice a month and do weekly rankings

bonus: get more rankers, have like 15 rankers 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Honestly I find this the most fun part, it also makes for a good read imo and generates some convo on the results

• Upvote (+1) 3

Honestly I find this the most fun part, it also makes for a good read imo and generates some convo on the results

Don't forget about the mental breakdowns on here (and twitter).

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Mikwen had an amazing tournament. Dropping big numbers, even in some of they're losses. I thought Ola was their most consistent player, with Mikwen being right up there with him. el Town has had an average LAN these last two LANs, stats wise. Obviously, this game isn't all about stats, but that is just something that caught my eye.

eh Rayne's "stats" were "worse" than El Town's in the Quals for  Burbank, but I thought he played really well that weekend.

Stats are just really hard to look at qualitatively

Really appreciate all feedback @ me and will be taking it all on board as I continue to develop.

Whilst I don't want to make excuses for people, one thing I want to say is yesterday would have been a very tough day for Strongside, he obviously lost his mother recently. He even had the bravery to discuss Mother's Day with a player and I have the utmost respect for how well he handled yesterday. Remember we are all human.

Great to get to know the NA scene more, hope I'll get to return again one day.

I had not heard of this...... that would explain a lot.

That would have been a really hard day.

huh? Do we have a chance at team doubles?

Doubles with purpose-built forge maps has been in the work for a little while now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Woukd you stop lol? No ones having mental breakdowns (although I'd love to see the Twitter breakdowns posted).

There were legit mental breakdowns on twitter. :mj:

------

Just skimmed this but didn't see anything on the Halo team

Just a thought, might produce rankings that elicit less butthurt  :simms:

That's just how power rankings are done, whether it's sports or awards voting. If you allow communication between the power rankers, it allows for the loudest of the rankers to convince and sway others. Also, collaborating during the process discourages more unorthodox picks. For example, if we allowed communication prior to averaging, then in all likelihood Simms would have been convinced to put OpTic in his top 8, or me and Infinity might've convinced Clicked and Simms to rank EG a bit lower.

Plus, I think the majority of these "problems" aren't even problems with the power rankings process. I honestly think it's just a matter of people not being able to differentiate between disagreeing with other perspectives and getting offended by other perspectives. Why anyone would get legitimately upset over how four people would rank the HCS teams is beyond me. It's extremely subjective in nature and different people will come to entirely different conclusions despite looking at the same data.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What are your thoughts on radar?

At the end - "My next one's going to be about the radar system, and how you can manipulate it, and how you can't."

I know you're excited.

• Upvote (+1) 2