CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I thought I covered the uncertainty of Allegiance and nV pretty well in the article:

Allegiance: "Allegiance might still be the biggest question mark in the HCS, as they arguably have had the easiest road to Pro League qualification after beating Ambush and God Tier to make it to Burbank and then beating unranked Soul Red (3-0) and #7 ranked Team EnVyUs (4-1) to qualify for the Pro League."

nV: "They beat unranked Crowd Control twice to make it to Burbank and then beat #8 ranked Team Liquid twice (3-0, 4-0) to qualify for the Pro League."

On the other hand, OpTic beat Renegades to qualify for Burbank and then beat Renegades 3-2 in the first round of the LAN qualifier before losing to Enimga 6 and Renegades to fall short of qualifying.

Not trying to attack the players of Allegiance or nV, but I think the quality of opponents was much different. But obviously nV and Allegiance can't control who gets put in front of them. I think it's just worth noting.

The part of these rankings I get most stuck on is the emphasis on their "weekly"-ness and the weight given to scrim results. When I think of "Power rankings," I think that context should matter. Results that happened more than 7 days ago should matter.

I get that EG performed poorly this week... as an already qualified team in ultimately meaningless scrims. When it mattered, they got results. 

I get the uncertainty with Allegiance and nV... but when it mattered, they qualified. nV also played Optic at a recent LAN at PAX East for qualification, and I think they did pretty well.

Want to talk about a team full of uncertainty? How about the team that looks good when practicing but is currently 1-16 across their four late-tourney series (PAX and Burbank) with qualification on the line? If it wasn't for Simms and that beautiful beard of his, Optic would have placed even higher on these overall rankings, which absolutely blows my mind.

Fun bonus question: if EG had taken last week off from practicing and scrimming completely, would they have stayed at a higher rank?

Anyway, there's my two cents. I mostly lurk here, but I appreciate all you guys do. Controversial power rankings are fun because of all the conversation they generate! The opinions of these forums just feel like a complete rollercoaster ride sometimes, I can hardly keep up with who's suddenly good/bad/washed/1.5

• Upvote (+1) 8

The part of these rankings I get most stuck on is the emphasis on their "weekly"-ness and the weight given to scrim results. When I think of "Power rankings," I think that context should matter. Results that happened more than 7 days ago should matter.

I get that EG performed poorly this week... as an already qualified team in ultimately meaningless scrims. When it mattered, they got results. 

I get the uncertainty with Allegiance and nV... but when it mattered, they qualified. nV also played Optic at a recent LAN at PAX East for qualification, and I think they did pretty well.

Want to talk about a team full of uncertainty? How about the team that looks good when practicing but is currently 1-16 across their four late-tourney series (PAX and Burbank) with qualification on the line? If it wasn't for Simms and that beautiful beard of his, Optic would have placed even higher on these overall rankings, which absolutely blows my mind.

Fun bonus question: if EG had taken last week off from practicing and scrimming completely, would they have stayed at a higher rank?

Anyway, there's my two cents. I mostly lurk here, but I appreciate all you guys do. Controversial power rankings are fun because of all the conversation they generate! The opinions of these forums just feel like a complete rollercoaster ride sometimes, I can hardly keep up with who's suddenly good/bad/washed/1.5

Eh, I see it as more of a "This week in Halo esports" than anything else.  It's just as bad to say qualified teams are automatically higher than OpTic just because they qualified.  If I win 9 games against you, and lose the 1 that counts, does it really mean you're better?  Don't get me wrong, RNG is a good team (I hate them but they are good), but my point stands.  That's just one example though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Btw, Liquid had 5 points in your power rankings, @@aPK, not 3. LIQ as 8th 3 times (1x3) and TL as 7th (2) in Simms.

Doesn't actually affect anything, but should still strive for consistency and accuracy.

That said, those rankings for EG are absurdly baseless.

• Upvote (+1) 4

EG was on a 3 series losing streak in scrims until tonight, no scrims are meaningless. Unless they were on and just not even trying like it was MM. They are practicing just the same. I don't see a problem with them being 4th for the week. E6 has had good online scrim results then came into a group people didn't think they were getting out of and dominated optic. RNG shouldn't necessarily be higher than EG, I could see EG 3rd. But still it's just this week guys, don't get too upset. 

At a quick glances "EG" and "E6" look quite similar and I got quite confused reading that for a moment.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How about that @@LifeStyl3 apology vid, eh?

:kappa:

Seriously though, shadiest shit ever and he didn't even APOLOGIZE in his twitlonger. Instead, he just shrugs it off and promotes his future streaming/video content. I was a fan of the kid, but not anymore. Unless he has a real good explanation and apologizes, I won't be rooting for him.

Edit: it doesn't matter if you got in a fight with your teammate or didn't get along, man up and hold your end of the commitment. Now it's man up and apologize to your team who you fucked over

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Seriously though, shadiest shit ever and he didn't even APOLOGIZE in his twitlonger. Instead, he just shrugs it off and promotes his future streaming/video content. I was a fan of the kid, but not anymore. Unless he has a real good explanation and apologizes, I won't be rooting for him.

Edit: it doesn't matter if you got in a fight with your teammate or didn't get along, man up and hold your end of the commitment. Now it's man up and apologize to your team who you fucked over

If he actually does have no good excuse like it seems currently, he's a scumbag and should never be welcomed in the community again.

If he had a good excuse I would've expected to hear it by now, though.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

i like e6. Bubu is the most honest and respectful dude i know. They showed a lot this weekend. Looking forward to their scrims this week.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What was the elevate v eg score?

1. CLG

2. EG

3. E6

4. RNG

5. ALG

6. nV

7. OpTic

8. Liquid

my rankings

agree or disagree with TB's rankings it's still fun as hell to talk about it, i'm glad they do it

Put alg over rng and thats my rank right now
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What's going to be the lag out rules for pro league? I know when denial played god tier, they were losing 1-0 in fathom flag, then 2gre lagged out. They restarted the game, the but they started one cap down. They won the replay 3-1, but the real score was 3-2.

Power rankings are bound to be more ridiculous than ever right now, given the lack of LANs and most teams never getting to play eachother outside of scrims.

EG is definitely slipping though. They're extremely fortunate to have won at PAX because I don't think they would've even gotten top 2 in a pool at the Summer qualifier.

Thanks, man. I really appreciate whenever any pro or competitive player posts tips videos. I feel like I've improved a lot in the last month just watching these tips and tricks vids. One step closer to becoming pro and taking out CLG 1v4.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Since we're all talking about power rankings, here is my All Time Power Rankings. First one is obviously 07 FB.

Followed closely by 05 StK (couldn't find a logo), Team 3D, '10 FB, the GodSquad, and the 95-96 Bulls. Feedback appreciated. 

S3C2TVY.png

rqdGOGF.jpg?1

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Since we're all talking about power rankings, here is my All Time Power Rankings. First one is obviously 07 FB.

Followed closely by 05 StK (couldn't find a logo), Team 3D, '10 FB, the GodSquad, and the 95-96 Bulls. Feedback appreciated.

S3C2TVY.png

In all seriousness amigo 2005 Team 3D/Final Boss was better than 2007 Final Boss. I asked Ogre 2 who was better 2007 Strongside or 2005 Saiyan? And he said Saiyan definitely, when saiyan practiced he was a beast. Other than that, have an up vote ;)
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Anyway, the casting and camera control for the event. For this event specifically, one caster was in control of the camera and the other caster was in control of the observer mode. Whenever the camera controller switched povs, the observer controller had to pick up the controller and go to whoever the main camera was on. This makes everything complicated as a caster because not only do you have to prepare what you're going to say/respond with next, you have to keep in mind the other task that you have to do. When I was casting, I felt that I was working at 25% of what I should've been because of this(and other problem mentioned soon). I constantly sat on one pov for too long because I was listening to goldenboy, watching the main screen so I can respond to him as well as watching 8 screens to try to figure out what we should watch next. This led to either me not changing povs, not listening to alex and responding to him as well as I should've, or just missing things in general like flag pulls as you were all talking about. In my opinion, there should be two casters and a dedicated observer who understands what to look for in halo or has a checklist of things to look at like; sniper, flag pull, rockets in 10s let's watch this battle for them, etc. who also controls the observer mode. On top of all of this, we had production in our ear and you'll notice several times in the two games I casted, I just stopped talking mid sentence. Not sure if this was a one time thing and I was unlucky or what, but it should not be the case. Huge shoutout to goldenboy for his experience. He was able to recognize when I would get caught up on something like this and just carry me through. Without him I'm sure I would not have sounded as good as you guys gave me credit for.

Also, I think I'm going to try to cast some of the open qualifiers and as much as I can of the LCQ with a special guest :)

Thanks for the post, this clarifies a lot. I definitely agree that a dedicated observer is needed. That level of multitasking is bound to make it much harder to cast. When I used to cover events it took being fully engaged to try and follow the 8 screens concurrently. 

Anyways, looking forward to hearing you on the mic again, and thanks for the sprint video, I had no idea about the jump-reload tip. 

RNG also lost 4-2 and 3-2 to Optic, not in scrims. In tournament, which is more important.

They beat Optic in the Loser's Finals yes, but those other 2 series still happened.

I see the point you are making, but also you can look at it this way, in the 3 series played Optic won 7 total games, while RNG won 8.  Obviously most would take the 2 series won (Optic) over the 1 series won (RNG), but you also should weigh in that RNG swept them 4-0 when it mattered the most, being the winner went on to get the spot in Pro League.  

I also saw the earlier point you made with RNG having "high highs and low lows", and yes they do often lose games after having a strong lead (I refuse to use the word "choke" because it has been watered down in this forum, and have lost its luster when there actually is a "choke". However, if anything RNG "clutched" up this weekend. Having been down 0-2 in the first series with Optic, they could've totally rolled over and been swept and been mind-fucked the rest of tournament.  Instead, they won the next 2 games, forcing a game 5.  Rebounded against Denial, and completely TKO'd Optic in the final series when everything was on the line.

Believe, I see the point you are making, but I think you are down playing their effort to come back and sweep Optic in the series that made all the other series almost pointless, as this was for the prize of either making Pro League, or potentially being left out all together if Optic doesn't come away as Top2 in the LCQ. (Because tournament results should weigh the most, right?, and the Burbank tournament was ultimately more important than the TB Online tournament, no?).

And like others have said, these "power rankings" are opinions (minus CLG being #1 because that is just a fact at this point). Until we see how Pro League goes any number of these teams could be the second best, as there will be concrete evidence of gameplay series where the results ultimately matter and truly reflect which team is better. 

....Lastly, Steph Curry is bonkers. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just caught myself up on everything forumsy in the last 36 hours. Wanted to clear some stuff up and give my opinion on some things but first, thanks to everyone for just being nice in general. I've talked about this for a while and had an interview that will be posted sometime this week(hopefully) about how far the halo community has come in these last 6-8 years and especially in the past year and more specifically this event. If you don't like something someone does, you post why and how they can improve on it and then give props to the people doing good jobs. This seems pretty trivial but it makes me want to continue doing what I'm doing and I'm sure most if not everyone else feels the same way.

Anyway, the casting and camera control for the event. For this event specifically, one caster was in control of the camera and the other caster was in control of the observer mode. Whenever the camera controller switched povs, the observer controller had to pick up the controller and go to whoever the main camera was on. This makes everything complicated as a caster because not only do you have to prepare what you're going to say/respond with next, you have to keep in mind the other task that you have to do. When I was casting, I felt that I was working at 25% of what I should've been because of this(and other problem mentioned soon). I constantly sat on one pov for too long because I was listening to goldenboy, watching the main screen so I can respond to him as well as watching 8 screens to try to figure out what we should watch next. This led to either me not changing povs, not listening to alex and responding to him as well as I should've, or just missing things in general like flag pulls as you were all talking about. In my opinion, there should be two casters and a dedicated observer who understands what to look for in halo or has a checklist of things to look at like; sniper, flag pull, rockets in 10s let's watch this battle for them, etc. who also controls the observer mode. On top of all of this, we had production in our ear and you'll notice several times in the two games I casted, I just stopped talking mid sentence. Not sure if this was a one time thing and I was unlucky or what, but it should not be the case. Huge shoutout to goldenboy for his experience. He was able to recognize when I would get caught up on something like this and just carry me through. Without him I'm sure I would not have sounded as good as you guys gave me credit for.

On to Cratos. This one is a fun one because while the stuff he does goes too far at times, I think it shouldn't be responded to as harshly because that's what he does in order to continue playing at his best. Some players learn to get better the way he does and when he does something good, he wants to acknowledge it and/or overhype it so that all of the work he put into the game feels worth it. You can hate him for some of the stuff he does that directly impacts other players outside of the game, like dq'ing unfairly(I really hope shooter keeps his ass in check on this), but don't hate him because of the adrenaline fueled things he says.

Huge props to soul red. They beat elevate to get to burbank, put up a fight vs us after a horrible game 1(game 2 was 50-42 but was 40-40 at one point, game 3 was 100-95), and had a fucking brawl vs liquid. While they may not make it into the pro league, their performance these last two weeks puts them into the position of the next generation of players in my book and I can't wait to see how they grow as individuals and hopefully as a team.

Interested to see if any team changes are happening before the open qualifier for the teams that are 'solidifed'.

Also, I think I'm going to try to cast some of the open qualifiers and as much as I can of the LCQ with a special guest :)

What are your thoughts on radar?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I don't understand this, especially when he seemed to be consistently gaining a Twitch following. It makes me think he is embarrassed and regrets what happened. Just be honest about it and move on, he has a ton of potential, keep grinding Halo.

Thanks, man. I really appreciate whenever any pro or competitive player posts tips videos. I feel like I've improved a lot in the last month just watching these tips and tricks vids. One step closer to becoming pro and taking out CLG 1v4.

Thank you @@RyaNoob! These are the types of videos that new/intermediate players are looking for. We need new content to look forward to even if it's as simple as talking on stream, highlighting it, and uploading it. No pros are even making an attempt to create consistent Youtube content (except Flamesword, Maniac, and maybe Towey/Ryanoob but they haven't proven it). There are several pros who have a major twitch following which is great, but there is a reason Optic has the fan base they do. Building personal relationships with fans through social media and Youtube makes a massive difference, I know this gets brought up a lot but someone should go for it and see what happens.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I suggest getting the EU guys in here. 

If thats how you do it, you need more people submitting rankings for the averages to actually mean something w/o rationale behind 'em. 

@@Onset @@Wonderboy @@Gaskin I'm sure would love to help

Always happy to help, however I think there are people with much more expertise than I when it comes to US teams. I'm just a little EU scrublet  :mj:

you guys should do a overall power ranking and a weekly power ranking

that way less people are confused

i just don't get how this is confusing lol
  • Upvote (+1) 8