Am I the only one who doesn't miss flag juggling, and likes having the flagnum? The only thing I don't like about the flag mechanic in Halo 4 is that it's automatic pick-up. It's frustrating when my teammate dies with the flag right in front of me then all of a sudden I have it in my hands lol. However, on the other hand, I do like being able to jump to the flag one second from it's return and not having to press a button, it's easier, and makes clutch plays happen. I like not being completely defenseless, and I like the flag being one-beat-down-kill as well. A lot of people miss flag juggling, but I like the flagnum more, surprisingly. How do the rest of you weigh in on this?  :ghost:

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 13

i love these forums, he doesn't get flamed for having an opinion :D 

but Halo = flag juggling imo.

They go hand in hand

flag juggling made the 7 second flag cap possible.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm not here to write an essay because 1) it's 4am and 2) this topic has been beaten to death already 

but, no. I prefer old flag julgging simply because it's more skillful, you aren't forced to give up your weapons for the flagnum and I enjoy the variation of flag running versus sneaky flag runs.

The indicators really annoy me.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about that, I hate the indicators, especially on Adrift... Don't even get me started. I do agree however that the flag juggling did take skill, but not that much skill, especially playing on bumper jumper.

#y

#y? Because I have fun dumping on people with the flagnum, do you not  :o? I literally have fun shooting it, and punching people straight in their jaw with it, and embarrassing people when they have OS a well.  B)

i love these forums, he doesn't get flamed for having an opinion :D

but Halo = flag juggling imo.

They go hand in hand

flag juggling made the 7 second flag cap possible.

It's beautiful right? Haha, but true that. Unlike most people, I am open to new things. *no homo*.  :kappa:

• Downvote (-1) 2

The problem with Flagnum is it competely crushes individual creativity or power plays. Now in Halo 4 they have put too much emphasis on team running. Its a similar problem to when the utility weapon is too week that teamshots are a must which leaves the individual powerless.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's beautiful right? Haha, but true that. Unlike most people, I am open to new things. *no homo*.  :kappa:

Meh. I've always been an advocate of "Don't fix what isn't broken". I like new things. Extraction's a fun new thing. Thanks 343 for Extraction.

HOWEVER, flag-juggling became a key part of competitive play. It separated the diapers from the big boy pants. If you're playing against a team that's unfamiliar with the concept, you're probably going to destroy them. Tossing flag up to base on Warlock? Passing it to someone on Pit? It was stripped away. Everything became so linear with flagnum, imo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Meh. I've always been an advocate of "Don't fix what isn't broken". I like new things. Extraction's a fun new thing. Thanks 343 for Extraction.

HOWEVER, flag-juggling became a key part of competitive play. It separated the diapers from the big boy pants. If you're playing against a team that's unfamiliar with the concept, you're probably going to destroy them. Tossing flag up to base on Warlock? Passing it to someone on Pit? It was stripped away. Everything became so linear with flagnum, imo.

True. It has become a staple. I just think the flagnum is 'fun' tbh, that's why I like it more. 

i would not mind if h5 had flagnum, but could also flag juggle lol basically just give us option to drop flag. i dont think anyone hates flagnum, they just like the previous iterations of ctf more

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why is that?  :(

It slows down that process the whole Halo four flag experience that is, flagnum included its like a viable weapon really viable if someone rushes you the whole CTF thing was taking a player out so that team had to work harder and together to get the cap

One of the clutchest flag plays I ever saw was in H2 at Chicago 2007.

FBI The Agency (Mackeo, Victory X, Naded, SK) vs. Str8 Rippin (T2, Neighbor, Elamite, Legit)

Warlock CTF

Str8 is up 4-3 (or 3-2 or something like that). Naded is running flag bottom mid.

Suddenly! A wild ElamiteWarrior appears to challenge him.

In H2, you could return flags on Warlock/Midship just by touching it.

Naded throws the flag over Elamite's head, beats him down, picks up the flag, scores it, ties the game.

How would that have panned out in H4? Elamite would either have been one-shotted by the flag beatdown (too close), or more likely, would have simply banked a nade perfectly into Naded's face since you have a giant "KILL ME" indicator over your head when you run the flag.

Also, sneaky runs like Walshy used to do on The Pit? Gone. That entire meta-game....gone. You'd have to be braindead to miss someone trying to sneak a flag in H4.

• Upvote (+1) 3

That flag is heavy yo, i need to take a break from it sometime like shieeeeeeet

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Am I the only one who doesn't miss flag juggling, and likes having the flagnum? The only thing I don't like about the flag mechanic in Halo 4 is that it's automatic pick-up. It's frustrating when my teammate dies with the flag right in front of me then all of a sudden I have it in my hands lol. However, on the other hand, I do like being able to jump to the flag one second from it's return and not having to press a button, it's easier, and makes clutch plays happen. I like not being completely defenseless, and I like the flag being one-beat-down-kill as well. A lot of people miss flag juggling, but I like the flagnum more, surprisingly. How do the rest of you weigh in on this?  :ghost:

That's kind of the issue, here.

Nobody cares that we have a magnum when we hold the flag.

We care because we got a magnum instead of being able to DROP the flag.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why cant you have both?

i have no problem with flagnum but would be cool if u can still drop the flag

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why cant you have both?

It wouldn't work, you would have infinite ammo with the magnum, need to reload then drop the flag and repick it up.. But say the game takes into account the fact your magnum was empty. 

Then the flag carrier is still over powered, think about it he would have the two weapons on his back, a 1 shot melee and an enhanced magnum... Seems to me like the flag carrier would be beast.

Flag juggling pre-H4 took ten times as much skill as spamming with a flagnum. Plus it was sooooooooo much more exciting to watch ridiculous flag runs with juggling

Flagnum vs Juggling

Move at normal speed with the flag:

Juggling - perform a repeating button combo

Flagnum - do nothing, you automatically move at normal speed

Defend yourself:

Juggling - take a shot or two while you drop the flag

Flagnum - do nothing, you already have a Magnum out

Decide whether to use the flag or your weapon to kill an enemy:

Juggling - use either the 1 hit kill flag OR a weapon

Flagnum - use both the 1 hit kill flag AND a weapon

Enemy Flag Cap Prevention:

Juggling - user controlled pick up and drop allows players to throw the flag off the stand then kill the enemies to prevent an enemy flag cap

Flagnum - automatic flag pick up allows players to move the flag a short distance then die to attempt to prevent an enemy flag cap

Flag/Map Interaction:

Juggling - drop the flag into a man cannon while you turn around and defend the lift entrance

Flagnum - go through the lift while you leave yourself vulnerable to chase/grenade attacks

Flag Carrier Decision Making:

Juggling - hold the flag to run stealthily but slowly, juggle the flag to run fast but visible to enemies

Flagnum - walk near the flag to be automatically marked with a waypoint and forced to carry a Flagnum till death

Pass the flag to a team mate:

Juggling -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usLbKsC9eV4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Flagnum - nope

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why cant you have both?

I'd have no problem with both. 

Nope.

Nopenopenopenopenopenope

ZfO3v.gif

The meta-game of flag play died when flagnum became a thing. The inability to drop the flag makes picking up the flag a burden and generally makes maps where the flag has to be home even more annoying with standoffs. Many more clutch plays were made when you could drop flag, like dropping the flag to a BXR, dropping the flag to out-DMR someone, dropping the flag because you have rockets and wtfpwned the guy chasing you for a skilled cap. If you pick up flag with rockets now, you usually look like an ass.

If you want to make a clutch play before flag returns, hold the action button while running towards it. As someone that loved CTF, CTF is lame now.

Dropping the flag to bxr lolz
  • Downvote (-1) 1

i actually do really like the flagnum, however i still think flag juggling was better. especially with sprint in the game. bc in say halo 3 if the opposing team was all dead you could move at relatively the same speed flag juggling and easily cap. in halo 4 if they are all dead and you have the flag you can't sprint. but your enemies can sprint. so they can easily spawn, sprint, and catch up to you. 

and obviously auto pick-up is annoying

How about:

No auto pick up, you can drop flag/juggle, but, while holding the flag, you can switch weapons to pull out the pistol, flag drop is then disabled until you put away the pistol. The KILL ME sign over your head is only visible while you have a your pistol out, and the normal flag marker appears when you drop the flag. Best of both worlds

• Upvote (+1) 4