Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Tumnus

Is Grinding Team Arena Beneficial?

If you're looking to improve your gameplay, is Grinding Team Arena the best option avaliable?

A lot of the time I find myself playing game after game and not knowing what to do to improve.

It is 100% beneficial, even if youre searching alone when you can't find 3 people to team with. 

Getting better at anything can be broken down into a simple formula:

Skill = mindful practice X time spent practicing

Its just as important to actively focus on what you are doing wrong or what you could improve on. Just grinding without being mindful isn't going to benefit you as much. On the other hand, only playing a few games a day isn't going to bring you enough exposure to progress in a meaningful way.

Personally I pick one "skill" to focus on each time I grind the playlist. Sometimes I choose to really focus on paying attention to typical spawn patterns, or I'll focus more on helping team mates and paying attention to where they are, then the next day, I'll choose to focus on controlling power weapons, then the next I'll focus on individual stuff (like my shot, strafe, using/conserving thruster, etc.). 

I do that because I find it overwhelming trying to improve everything at once. Playing Team Arena will also get you familiar with the flow of the gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 8

When you play a bad game or you remember a questionable decision or play you made just go back and watch the film, you will train your mind what to do in that same situation the next time.

Also it would benefit you a lot more to play custom games against people of your skill level or higher just because of factoring in wait times to get a match and the 50% chance of the other team being under your skill level or somebody lags out/quits, etc. Being in custom games you could game non stop and you can actively choose teams to make them fair or make sure people of certain skill are on your team or against you but unfortunately the competitive halo community doesn't grind customs like we used to in the halo 3/halo reach days so MM is your best option.

The only problem with Halo 5 is that if you get bad teammates who make bad plays and you cant communicate with it makes it hard for you to see improvement or what you should of done in situations because if you had decent teammates that were actually playing for the win and not stats you would see what you're doing correctly as a teammate.

Best quote I can ever give: Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect - "Walshy"

• Upvote (+1) 1

When you play a bad game or you remember a questionable decision or play you made just go back and watch the film, you will train your mind what to do in that same situation the next time.

Also it would benefit you a lot more to play custom games against people of your skill level or higher just because of factoring in wait times to get a match and the 50% chance of the other team being under your skill level or somebody lags out/quits, etc. Being in custom games you could game non stop and you can actively choose teams to make them fair or make sure people of certain skill are on your team or against you but unfortunately the competitive halo community doesn't grind customs like we used to in the halo 3/halo reach days so MM is your best option.

The only problem with Halo 5 is that if you get bad teammates who make bad plays and you cant communicate with it makes it hard for you to see improvement or what you should of done in situations because if you had decent teammates that were actually playing for the win and not stats you would see what you're doing correctly as a teammate.

Best quote I can ever give: Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect - "Walshy"

I would seriously stay away from customs because you're more than likely going to be waiting over an hour to get them going. Finding and filling spots when people leave, people going AFC to get food and shit, picking teams and dealing with repicking every time the other team loses, having to get 2 different party chats going and then messing with chat lobbies each time someone leaves or switches teams... and so on. Customs can be a nightmare. MM in this game isn't perfect but will get you competitive games quickly. Inviting a bunch of friends and playing customs is far more likely to put you with/against people out of your skill level. Theres always that one guy who gets picked last and goes -12 every game, and then has to be passed from one team to another.

The other major problem with customs is that the lobby was not selected via connection filters. So you coulda have 5 guys from northeast USA, two guys from texas, and a guy from California in the lobby. MM is much faster to just search alone or to find 3 friends to run with. Also not sure why you would think MM takes long to get games because on the east coast NA you get them in less than a minute without fail.

Customs are a huge time sink but have their own advantages over MM, waiting time not being one of them. Customs are good for having control over the lobby. For example, my buddies used to run Coliseum Slayer 4 times in a row because we all felt we needed to practice it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

as stated above, playing with people that are better skilled than you is really beneficial. i have a few local friends who are higher onxy players and playing with them has increased my skill greatly. it like forces you to adapt to higher caliber play

• Upvote (+1) 1

My point is if you have a group of people that you play halo with that are above or on your skill level you want to play customs with them. The reason customs were such a big thing in Halo 3 and Reach was because they were a huge thing in Halo 2 and improved your gameplay quicker then just searching Matchmaking.

If you were to survey all the top 6 teams from NA and ask them would they rather search Arena with a To4 or do customs/money matches they are choosing the customs 10/10. It's more accessible despite whoever the host is or not, you dictate 100% of the time who you play with and against and there is less down time.

Even outside the top 6 teams of NA you would be hard pressed to find above average halo players who think searching arena is more beneficial then running competitive customs against other players.

My point is if you have a group of people that you play halo with that are above or on your skill level you want to play customs with them. The reason customs were such a big thing in Halo 3 and Reach was because they were a huge thing in Halo 2 and improved your gameplay quicker then just searching Matchmaking.

If you were to survey all the top 6 teams from NA and ask them would they rather search Arena with a To4 or do customs/money matches they are choosing the customs 10/10. It's more accessible despite whoever the host is or not, you dictate 100% of the time who you play with and against and there is less down time.

Even outside the top 6 teams of NA you would be hard pressed to find above average halo players who think searching arena is more beneficial then running competitive customs against other players.

I think what he was getting at is if I booted up Halo 5 right now, it would take me a pretty big chunk of time to get an 8 man lobby with fair teams going.  In that time I could have probably played 4 games in Team Arena.  And that's if you can get a custom lobby with the right skill balance too.  Not everyone has the perfect 7 guys online for customs.  So I think he'll take the quantity over quality in this regard, because real quality custom games are actually pretty damn hard to find.

• Upvote (+1) 1