Sign in to follow this  
Jawshe

Quick and "hidden" tips to decrease input lag in your display

I finally switched from a Tv to a monitor 5 days ago. I purchased the ASUS MX279H. What a difference! It has a 5ms response time (not the greatest but still much better than tv). I Just checked that display input site you said to check out and I have an 09 rating which is great.

This post is super helpful to those who are not knowledgeable when it comes to monitors - which includes me. Excellent job!

• Upvote (+1) 1

back in 2008 when my crt broke and I got a new tv, I couldn't figure it out for the life of me why my aim was so much worse, I just figured it was cause my TV was a little bit bigger. Then in late 2009 I finally stumbled across that input lag was a thing. My teenage brain couldn't believe it that tv makers would actually make this a thing. I'm never looking back, crt or gaming monitor for life. Also something to note on is that "component to hdmi or vice versa converters" add lag. It's why OP mentioned making sure you're monitor is set to 1080p because games on the xbone output to 1080p natively. 

• "Switch input mode from "AV" to "PC/HDMI". For monitors/TVs that have the "HDMI" label instead of "PC" (such as with 90% of Samsung products), you must rename the input mode to "PC" manually. I know it seems silly that changing the name of hte input would actually make a difference - but just try it and see what happens. You'll cry. With any monitor though, switching to "PC" input mode instead of "Auto" or "HDMI" will instantly shut off all of the useless post-processing protocols that are specific to the HDMI mode. Whats amazing is that for every product I've ever done this on, the screen looks ten times smoother and actually has an anti-jaggy (AA) effect despite shutting off post-processing effects. Even more surprising is often you'll gain another inch or so of extra screen. HDMI mode is often zoomed (especially with Samsung) and stretched. TONS of people go years without even realizing they are missing a portion of their screen. Flip back and forth if you think you notice a difference. That said, many monitors already use the unzoomed format (also called "Just Scan" protocol), and in that case you won't notice a difference. Either way, you're picture should look better but most importantly you have just shaved about another 10-15ms from this switch (we are essentially bringing down the ms to the figure that would have been recorded from DisplayLag). If your image looks worse for some reason, its probably because switching modes reset your other settings back to default. We'll get to those settings."

How do you "manually" change the name from HDMI to PC? lol...I have an Asus VS247H-P

I'm not so sure about the benefits of switching to PC RGB and a higher bit depth. I've tried switching both my Xbox and BenQ monitor to the 0-255 setting, and I find it just makes it more difficult to distinguish between blacks and whites on the extreme ends of the spectrum. If I were to guess, I'd say this is the fault of the console and how it outputs color values. Also I've read that there isn't any Xbox One content that outputs more than 24 bit, though if it improves the picture on your display than of course go for it (doesn't on mine).

Amazing post though, very helpful, lots of great best practices here to follow when setting up a display.

Great post! I haven't spent a lot of time with my BenQ (I use the one MLG/most pro's use, RL3455HM) so I'll check this out more thoroughly when I get home.

This is the most helpful shit ever, thanks ... I've had a Viewsonic for years but haven't tweaked settings since like 2012

I finally switched from a Tv to a monitor 5 days ago. I purchased the ASUS MX279H. What a difference! It has a 5ms response time (not the greatest but still much better than tv). I Just checked that display input site you said to check out and I have an 09 rating which is great.

This post is super helpful to those who are not knowledgeable when it comes to monitors - which includes me. Excellent job!

This is actually the EXACT monitor I'm looking to buy. The best aprt about your monitor is that its an IPS panel that somehow manages to be faster than most TN panels. I'm so jealous. Make sure you go through your settings to make sure you're getting the most out of that beast.

Any other info about that monitor? Should I get it?

• "Switch input mode from "AV" to "PC/HDMI". For monitors/TVs that have the "HDMI" label instead of "PC" (such as with 90% of Samsung products), you must rename the input mode to "PC" manually. I know it seems silly that changing the name of hte input would actually make a difference - but just try it and see what happens. You'll cry. With any monitor though, switching to "PC" input mode instead of "Auto" or "HDMI" will instantly shut off all of the useless post-processing protocols that are specific to the HDMI mode. Whats amazing is that for every product I've ever done this on, the screen looks ten times smoother and actually has an anti-jaggy (AA) effect despite shutting off post-processing effects. Even more surprising is often you'll gain another inch or so of extra screen. HDMI mode is often zoomed (especially with Samsung) and stretched. TONS of people go years without even realizing they are missing a portion of their screen. Flip back and forth if you think you notice a difference. That said, many monitors already use the unzoomed format (also called "Just Scan" protocol), and in that case you won't notice a difference. Either way, you're picture should look better but most importantly you have just shaved about another 10-15ms from this switch (we are essentially bringing down the ms to the figure that would have been recorded from DisplayLag). If your image looks worse for some reason, its probably because switching modes reset your other settings back to default. We'll get to those settings."

How do you "manually" change the name from HDMI to PC? lol...I have an Asus VS247H-P

You'll have to google how to do it with asus monitors. I've heard it only really makes a difference for samsung, so if you can't rename it to PC, HDMI should give you the same benefits with an Asus. Just make sure you aren't using AV mode.

My monitor has a preset called "game". Is that good?

Is this preset under "Input"?

If it is I'm sure this is the same as PC.

Or is it under your "Picture" or color settings?

If it is, then its probably just a preset picture mode that claims to be the best color/sharpness balance for gaming. Most of the time it isn't though.

Text

Do you have any recommendations for brands? I'm a big Samsung guy, but do you think a brand like Asus or something else would be a better value.

For comparisons sake, I'll provide two links. If you could give me any feedback on if one is better than the other, I would appreciate it.

http://www.neweggflash.com/Product/0JC-0007-00D86?icid=WP_11_02272016

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16824236489&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSFCXDFBTMXA-_-24-236-489-_-Product

Thanks for the great post! I have a 2008 Panasonic 42" and I can't even find it on displaylag.com.

It has an option for Game on it but nothing else really.

Do you have any recommendations for brands? I'm a big Samsung guy, but do you think a brand like Asus or something else would be a better value.

For comparisons sake, I'll provide two links. If you could give me any feedback on if one is better than the other, I would appreciate it.

http://www.neweggflash.com/Product/0JC-0007-00D86?icid=WP_11_02272016

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16824236489&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSFCXDFBTMXA-_-24-236-489-_-Product

I personally swear by Samsung and Asus.

I know Benq get good reviews but I've never actually owned one so I can't speak for them. I've found Samsung/asus to be visually stunning and reliable. The stats (responsetime/input lag) for a monitor can tell you how it'll perform, but you can't put a stat on the amazing picture that Samsung/Asus give you. Just my opinion. 

I would look up each of those two monitor's input lag measures and pick the one with the lowest. If they are the same... couldn't tell you lol. Theyare both good picks if they have a 9ms input lag.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I personally swear by Samsung and Asus.

I know Benq get good reviews but I've never actually owned one so I can't speak for them. I've found Samsung/asus to be visually stunning and reliable. The stats (responsetime/input lag) for a monitor can tell you how it'll perform, but you can't put a stat on the amazing picture that Samsung/Asus give you. Just my opinion.

I would look up each of those two monitor's input lag measures and pick the one with the lowest. If they are the same... couldn't tell you lol. Theyare both good picks if they have a 9ms input lag.

The Samsung P2770FH is not listed on the website. Do you think that is cause for concern?