Sign in to follow this  
giobernard

Making switch to claw, need some advice.

So I am seriously making an attempt to learn claw. After 2 games my hands are cramping up already, but it isn't too bad for me aside from that. I've got a few questions, however:

1) What controller button layout is preferred/considered best for claw in particular? What do most pros who claw (so most pros) use?

2) Since I am already used to my index fingers on the bumpers at all times, while my middle fingers are on the triggers, the index finger to A, B, X and Y isn't too difficult. However, the change in index finger positioning affects my thumb right stick aim accuracy. When NOT using the A, B, X Y buttons, do you typically have your index finger resting on the right bumper to help control your aim more precisely? Or are you just as proficient in aiming while your hand is literally in the clawed "c" position?

3) For those of you who claw, do you feel like you have an advantage over players who don't claw since there are so many button actions in H5 that require you to maintain your right stick aim while pressing the button (for example: thrust, jump or melee)?

Thanks guys

Hopefully the transition isn't too long OR painful...

there's no reason to claw considering controller paddles exist now

i'd recommend that you don't, for the sake of your hands

It's probably very preference based, I would just try to slowly incorporate it into your gameplay until it feels natural.  I learned to claw with Halo CE so I really only find myself needing to use for reloading and weapon switching in Halo 5 (I play on Bumper Jumper).

Controller paddles don't exist on the regular version of the Xbox controller.

I have a standard Xbox One controller and cannot afford a scuf/Elite at the time being. If the Elite was a little cheaper, I'd buy it, but I just spent a couple hundred on a new monitor and headset

It's probably very preference based, I would just try to slowly incorporate it into your gameplay until it feels natural.  I learned to claw with Halo CE so I really only find myself needing to use for reloading and weapon switching in Halo 5 (I play on Bumper Jumper).

Controller paddles don't exist on the regular version of the Xbox controller.

Weapon reloading and switching were never an issue when playing non-claw for me. The real reason I'd want to claw is to access my thrust (currently set on X), without having to move my thumb from the right stick. 

Do you not find a real need for thrusting or jumping (whatever your A or X is set to)?

I started clawing in the menus back during H2 and it sort of just carried over. I rest my index basically in between all four buttons at all times and use my first knuckle to hit Y. As for accuracy, I do think my aim has been negatively affected even ten years later because of how it alters your thumb's angle on the controller. Could just be me though. I don't play H5 so I can't comment on that, but you should probably just go with paddles honestly.

My suggestion is don't do it. I don't have a scuf or elite control and I can do anything needed to succeed. I just recently switched to Helljumper. And used the Xbox one button mapping to switch RB and Right Stick Click. Only took about a day of customs/BTB to get used to.

I have a standard Xbox One controller and cannot afford a scuf/Elite at the time being. If the Elite was a little cheaper, I'd buy it, but I just spent a couple hundred on a new monitor and headset

Weapon reloading and switching were never an issue when playing non-claw for me. The real reason I'd want to claw is to access my thrust (currently set on X), without having to move my thumb from the right stick. 

Do you not find a real need for thrusting or jumping (whatever your A or X is set to)?

It's just a muscle memory thing.  Right now your shot is going to suffer until you get enough repetition that it comes natural.  I've always had success with things like changing controls/style if I try to integrate them into the game slowly as I play it.  You're gonna fuck up a lot at first, but slowly it will become more and more a part of your game to the point where you don't even think about it.

Unless you're planning on playing halo 2/1 on LAN, there's no reason to learn how to claw. Just use a scuf/razer/elite controller

I claw and I use the Pashooter scheme.

It's a weird one but it works really well for me.

Unless you're planning on playing halo 2/1 on LAN, there's no reason to learn how to claw. Just use a scuf/razer/elite controller

Those controllers are expensive.

I claw and I use the Pashooter scheme.

It's a weird one but it works really well for me.

Those controllers are expensive.

and surgery on your possibly fucked up hand would be way more expensive, not to mention the health consequences. The alternatives exist with no consequence, they should be used. And it has another added benefit of not re-learning how to aim. 

I've never understood the mentality behind willing to go through pain and patience, but not willing to save money for a controller.

• Upvote (+1) 2

By the time your aim and comfort reach the levels they were at before, you could get a PhD in astro-physics, land a career with NASA, complete extensive astronaut training, fly to Mars and use your own shit to grow potatoes there (great movie BTW), fly home, retire, and collect your pension so you can buy an Elite anyways.

Think about that. Would you rather A. explore outer space and make space shitatoes, or B. get carpel tunnel.

The only claw you'll need to learn is the one attached to your spaceshuttle, Major Tom.

RIP David Bowie

• Upvote (+1) 3

Think about this:

People develop RSI and other hand injuries from using a mouse/keyboard or holding their controller normally.

How bad do you think "clawing" is compared to that?

And yes, some Halo pros used to claw but they were also winning thousands at tournaments to justify it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I decided to actually try "clawing" last night for the first time with an OG S controller on CE. So far it really doesn't seem that bad, I think people in here may be exaggerating just a tad.

Question: should I be using my ring finger for the right trigger? It feels much more comfortable that way, and it's nice to be able to turn/melee at the same time. Still need to practice a bit more with it but I didn't have any pain in my hand after playing for a solid 3 hours.

So I decided to actually try "clawing" last night for the first time with an OG S controller on CE. So far it really doesn't seem that bad, I think people in here may be exaggerating just a tad.

Question: should I be using my ring finger for the right trigger? It feels much more comfortable that way, and it's nice to be able to turn/melee at the same time. Still need to practice a bit more with it but I didn't have any pain in my hand after playing for a solid 3 hours.

It affects everyone differently but a 3hour session is nothing especially if that 3hours was in campaign (or do you have an adapter)... at the beach lan last year Legend fucked up his hand without even clawing, just the continuous stress of aiming the right joystick. and other people blister up just as well. I get hand cramps some times without clawing.

I use the old semi claw where I just relax my hands if I go in for the melee and I "poke" the y/b button with my index finger. People who claw will generally press the x/y/a/b buttons with the side of their index finger with the last and middle bone. But after a good couple of gauntlets I can't even relax my hand to semi claw

but yeah definitely use your ring finger to fire

• Upvote (+1) 1

It affects everyone differently but a 3hour session is nothing especially if that 3hours was in campaign (or do you have an adapter)... at the beach lan last year Legend fucked up his hand without even clawing, just the continuous stress of aiming the right joystick. and other people blister up just as well. I get hand cramps some times without clawing.

I use the old semi claw where I just relax my hands if I go in for the melee and I "poke" the y/b button with my index finger. People who claw will generally press the x/y/a/b buttons with the side of their index finger with the last and middle bone. But after a good couple of gauntlets I can't even relax my hand to semi claw

but yeah definitely use your ring finger to fire

No pain no gain

Thanks for the response