Sign in to follow this  
Edain

Halo 5: Guardians - Classic Playlist Discussion

107 members have voted

1. 1. What starting weapon should we have?

• H1 pistol
    • H2 BR
    • A Mix of both.
  2. 2. Map rotation for the playlist?

• Mix of Halo 1 and 2 maps
    • Mix of H1, 2 ,and 3 maps
    • Just Halo 1 maps
    • Just Halo 2 maps
    • Just Halo 3 maps

I voted For a mix. Because realistically the only way a playlist like this would be a reality would be if it was ONE classic playlist with a blend of setting. Cause no way 343 will give us multiple Classic playlists (if at all).

• Upvote (+1) 2

I really think we should simply find uniform "classic settings" for the "HCE" and "h2" settings with the only difference being the spawn weapon. If we try to fine tune the movement settings to perfectly replicate both hce and h2 it will become too complicated.

I agree with this we should have uniform settings for all gametypes and IMO ideally we should be trying to emulate H2's movement speed/strafe as baseline because it had the best base movement settings.

I think the player count should be uniform as well since the main reason that 4vs4 doesn't work in CE is because of the spawn system while H5's was designed around it and we can change them if necessary especially if we ever hope to get a playlist going in matchmaking.  

I voted For a mix. Because realistically the only way a playlist like this would be a reality would be if it was ONE classic playlist with a blend of setting. Cause no way 343 will give us multiple Classic playlists (if at all).

That's exactly what I was thinking. If we're going to have any sort of chance to add a playlist we need to come up with settings that are competitive, and I hate to say this, but also casual. Like I wouldn't mind having that Terminal remake thrown in just because it's a very well made map and it's familiar with everyone, you know?

That's exactly what I was thinking. If we're going to have any sort of chance to add a playlist we need to come up with settings that are competitive, and I hate to say this, but also casual. Like I wouldn't mind having that Terminal remake thrown in just because it's a very well made map and it's familiar with everyone, you know?

Truth.

I voted for the CE pistol because personally I'd like to see an overall playlist with the same settings on different maps and NEW maps.

But I am not against playing CE pistols on CE remakes or H2 BR on Halo 2 and 3 remakes.

Forgot to post this earlier since were looking for remakes this google-doc will be a good resource since it has list of remakes from H1-H3 that were made.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k1D6W1yM9XtcJFV5y1Zif86SmjqVaHiCY0sERWSP5kQ/edit#gid=0

I was looking at this. I really like the Chillout, Damnation, and Rat Race remakes. Some of them we may have to re-forge or find a better version. Like the Hang 'em High on that list is way too huge imo.

Truth.

I voted for the CE pistol because personally I'd like to see an overall playlist with the same settings on different maps and NEW maps.

But I am not against playing CE pistols on CE remakes or H2 BR on Halo 2 and 3 remakes.

Yeah, we can test everything out. I may be running test games tonight.

Also, I tweaked the nades and melee a little. I'll add them to the OP when I get a chance.

Last night I got to play a very even custom game with CE Pistol (hell yeah) and Grav Hammer (lol) starts on Torque assault with no weapons on map and otherwise standard H5 settings.

Was so much fun. The CE Magnum works well to keep Spartan Abilities and power weapons in their place, and it felt great being able to individually challenge more than one player and not have to worry about OP teamshot with such low time to kill.

I can't wait to test much more refined settings on really good forge maps. I added you Mudkip, my GT is same as my username but I won't be able to play for a day or two.

A couple things that I would like to suggest:

I'm curious to see how these settings would play starting with both the H2 BR AND the CE Magnum simultaneously, also to create a more uniform setting for all maps. Although if not I would just prefer the CE Magnum.

And I hope that we can increase jump height to replace Clamber I loved the high jumping from H2 and H3.

Also, I see this as an opportunity to create our own Halo 5, not just for classic settings. With that said I am curious to also test keeping ONLY Thruster and Ground Pound with all other Abilities turned off.

I personally think that these two can play well in conjunction with the CE Magnum's fast time to kill. Although I thoroughly understand if they are kept off anyway.

Can't wait to play.

-SMARTAN 427

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only reason I would like to see the CE magnum and H2BR test together is because people have said for years that it could work and be balanced.

(Ya I know the magnum is not really the magnum in this game)

The only reason I would like to see the CE magnum and H2BR test together is because people have said for years that it could work and be balanced.

(Ya I know the magnum is not really the magnum in this game)

I've never in my 12 years of Halo have heard anyone say that. lol But that's something we can certainly test out. That's what this thread is for. :)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I've never in my 12 years of Halo have heard anyone say that. lol But that's something we can certainly test out. That's what this thread is for. :)

I think the theory is a fast TTK, but difficult to use projectile based magnum could be balanced with an easier to use 4sk hitscan BR.

Ideally we would have classic 2v2 Halo using the CE magnum as the starting weapon and played on remade CE maps and then a 4v4 list with the H2BR + H2/3 maps. This would split the already small population though so I would say a mix of gametypes and maps, CE magnum starts on the CE maps, and H2BR starts on the H2/3 maps. 

I haven't use the CE magnum yet, and I'm honestly afraid to try it out because I feel like 343 probably made it hitscan...

Side note, regardless of how they coded the magnum, I'd love to see the meta shift to CE magnum starts + spartan abilities post HWC (basically Halo 5 gameplay with a starting weapon that should have been in the game from the start -- with all the additional movement speed and escape mechanics a faster TTK for the pistol should have been top priority because as it stands, it's TOO easy to bail out teammates or clean up kills imo).

Edit: no matter what the settings the needler would have to be removed. It's nearly impossible to dodge them as is without using thrust so without thrust they would just be OP I think.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My apologies I've yet to have the chance to add you, but I'll be sure to do that when I get home from work.

I did want to tell you this though, the best way to make classic settings more appealing to casual players is to make the radar 25M instead of 18M. I know that we all have casual friends that can't stand the new radar.

Keep in mind that the only way to do this is to modify classic settings by using a gametype that alrady has the 25M radar in place. So for example, instead of modifying "Team Slayer" settings into "Classic Team Slayer" settings, modify "Big Team Slayer" settings into "Classic Team Slayer" settings.

Casuals will love it.

Maps I'd like to see:

Hang em High

Chill Out

Prisoner

Damnation

Beaver Creek

Midship

Sanctuary

Lockout

Guardian

The Pit

Narrows

Construct

Hopefully the playlist gets ranked too. Would be sooo much fun 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If we can actually get a classic playlist with no spartan abilities, I would love to come back! With that being said a mix of everything -- the more diversity the better. H1-H3 maps would be great and I'd love to see both the weapon starts as well.

H5 to me is like Reach -- shit covered gold. It's terrible out of box, but with some changes the games really good. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

My apologies I've yet to have the chance to add you, but I'll be sure to do that when I get home from work.

I did want to tell you this though, the best way to make classic settings more appealing to casual players is to make the radar 25M instead of 18M. I know that we all have casual friends that can't stand the new radar.

Keep in mind that the only way to do this is to modify classic settings by using a gametype that alrady has the 25M radar in place. So for example, instead of modifying "Team Slayer" settings into "Classic Team Slayer" settings, modify "Big Team Slayer" settings into "Classic Team Slayer" settings.

Casuals will love it.

Pretty much this.

The #1 thing that I hate about H5 aside from the slow time to kill of our utility weapon(which means OP teamshot), is the fact that I cannot mentally relax and enjoy Halo 5 since the radar is too short to warn me of incoming Spartans sprinting, Spartan Charging, Sliding, and Clambering into my rear from seemingly out of nowhere.

With those abilities removed and the radar upped to 25m like classic Halo, I know that I and at least several of my friends would love playing H5, and this playlist could be awesome.

It would be so nice to be able to sit back, relax, and play Halo for once.

Here are the settings that I would like to start testing with:

Primary: H2 BR

Secondary: CE Pistol

1 Frag

1 Plasma (for maybe nading weapons off pads, if not place them in nade spots on the map)

Max grenade capacity:4(maybe decrease throw speed to counter nade spam)

110% movement speed

130% strafe acceleration

110% jump height (love the platforming feel of H2/H3 jumping)

Sprint:off (also turns off Spartan Charge and Slide in the process)

Clamber:off

Stabilizers:off

Thruster:ON

Ground Pound:ON

25m Motion Tracker

I think that Thruster and Ground Pound can add something fun and interesting to the gameplay meta, and would be easily countered by the CE Magnum's fast time to kill. Plus it could bridge the game settings a little with vanilla to not scare away the casuals like with keeping radar.

Now, I understand if Thruster and Ground Pound are removed anyway, but I really would like to test them with these settings at least.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If we can actually get a classic playlist with no spartan abilities, I would love to come back! With that being said a mix of everything -- the more diversity the better. H1-H3 maps would be great and I'd love to see both the weapon starts as well.

H5 to me is like Reach -- shit covered gold. It's terrible out of box, but with some changes the games really good.

i agree with this, both starting weapons. No Spartan abilities. No splinter grenades. Smaller classic sandbox/power ups. And a mix of H1-3 maps.

Start with this, test it and go from there.

Maps I'd like to see:

Hang em High

Chill Out

Prisoner

Damnation

Beaver Creek

Midship

Sanctuary

Lockout

Guardian

The Pit

Narrows

Construct

Hopefully the playlist gets ranked too. Would be sooo much fun

I also would like to see these maps again as well.

However, we could also have the chance to fix some map movement issues by rearranging the weapon placement on some maps.

For example, place the Sniper spawn in the low ground, making players move from power positions to grab them. Such as:

Sniper moved from S3/Hut to elbow/Green/rocks on Lockout/Guardian/Sanctuary respectively.

Camo replaces Shotgun on Lockout, the Plasma Pistol moved to the old SMG spawn at the bottom of Blue Lift, Overshield Top Mid. Storm Rifle BR1 and a Needler on UnderGlass. H2 BR and CE Pistol spawns around the map for ammo refills if needed.

On Lockout, maybe open up bottom Green to connect with Sword via an added back ramp as well as a an added Lift to Top Mid.

The Sword area of the Pit could have the added Lift and drop down from the H4 Pitfall remake.

The added jumps and lifts to Sanctuary from H2A Shrine.

Just off of the top of my head. We can improve the classic maps, also taking H5 sandbox balance into account.

(Also that Atonement Damnation remake from 343 favorites seems to big to me otherwise I like the settup of it.

i agree with this, both starting weapons. No Spartan abilities. No splinter grenades. Smaller classic sandbox/power ups. And a mix of H1-3 maps.

Start with this, test it and go from there.

I think Splinter Grenades and the Plasma Caster could both be put to good use personally. Just because they are new with H5 doesn't mean that they are bad for gameplay. In my opinion that is.

The sandbox could be like this:

H2 BR and CE Pistol spawn weapons

Frags off spawn.

Sniper (I think that the new Binary could work well too with the new burst mechanics)

Shotgun/Sword(Hammer?)

Plasma and Splinter Grenades.

Needler(I wonder if increased movement and strafe accel nerfs the tracking... a great ambush weapon though)

Storm Rifle (maybe increase Health to nerf Health damage)

Plasma Pistol

Plasma Caster

Rockets(SPNKR obviously)

OS and Camo

Splaser and Hydra on vehicle maps.

I think that this could work well. I don't think that it is completely necessary to strip everything 'cuz classic'.

I think Splinter Grenades and the Plasma Caster could both be put to good use personally. Just because they are new with H5 doesn't mean that they are bad for gameplay. In my opinion that is.

The sandbox could be like this:

H2 BR and CE Pistol spawn weapons

Frags off spawn.

Sniper (I think that the new Binary could work well too with the new burst mechanics)

Shotgun/Sword(Hammer?)

Plasma and Splinter Grenades.

Needler(I wonder if increased movement and strafe accel nerfs the tracking... a great ambush weapon though)

Storm Rifle (maybe increase Health to nerf Health damage)

Plasma Pistol

Plasma Caster

Rockets(SPNKR obviously)

OS and Camo

Splaser and Hydra on vehicle maps.

I think that this could work well. I don't think that it is completely necessary to strip everything 'cuz classic'.

i am not opposed to adding new stuff, I just think it is just easier at first to test and balance with a minimal sandbox.

I also would like to see these maps again as well.

However, we could also have the chance to fix some map movement issues by rearranging the weapon placement on some maps.

For example, place the Sniper spawn in the low ground, making players move from power positions to grab them. Such as:

Sniper moved from S3/Hut to elbow/Green/rocks on Lockout/Guardian/Sanctuary respectively.

Camo replaces Shotgun on Lockout, the Plasma Pistol moved to the old SMG spawn at the bottom of Blue Lift, Overshield Top Mid. Storm Rifle BR1 and a Needler on UnderGlass. H2 BR and CE Pistol spawns around the map for ammo refills if needed.

On Lockout, maybe open up bottom Green to connect with Sword via an added back ramp as well as a an added Lift to Top Mid.

The Sword area of the Pit could have the added Lift and drop down from the H4 Pitfall remake.

The added jumps and lifts to Sanctuary from H2A Shrine.

Just off of the top of my head. We can improve the classic maps, also taking H5 sandbox balance into account.

(Also that Atonement Damnation remake from 343 favorites seems to big to me otherwise I like the settup of it.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of improving the original experiences but I think they should be left untouched and the same as they were.

I agree that Lockout is a pretty corrupt map in terms of weapon placement; a camo bottom shotgun would improve that map dramatically. The other maps though, I feel like the weapon/power-up placement are fine on them. I wouldn't really mind if Lockout got improved tho xD