CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I wouldn't even say significantly reduced, tbh. The original question was basically "How do you make the winner of AR fights less random without nerfing it too much?" And while reducing magnetism would certainly help, It would also significantly nerf the gun considering the state of the rest of the sandbox.

That was a big part of the reason for my last bullet point, to effectively decrease aim-assist at the ranges that are an issue without nerfing the gun in its close-range fights.

I really like your suggestions, but I do think it makes sense to reduce magnetism of the AR, The sheer size of the spread area ensures that even the worst players can deal some damage from beyond close range. This would still allow it to be used to surpress/descope, and still allow for skilled players to increase the effective range of its utility.

On the flip side of that it would allow good movement to facilitate a player with a precision weapon outplaying an AR user at close range, since it would be possible to actually make someone miss shots.

I think the weapon would still feel good at all levels of play. At the low end, players don't move enough for the lack of magnetism to really be noticeable. And at high levels of play skill would reign supreme.

• Upvote (+1) 2

At the low end, players don't move enough for the lack of magnetism to really be noticeable.

This is a factor that I didn't take into account. Good point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All I want is for gunfighter and tactical magnums to be added in place if autos and some rifles. That's not outlandish at all

Those guns are cool, fun, and skillful.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Been going between MCC and H5 alot recently.

Aside from the aiming, and actually fun fights there was something else I noticed about my engagements between games.

My magazine size is to small in Halo 5. I got caught reloading mid engagement going back over to Halo 5

I mean think about it. We have the most evasive players ever in H5 while our utility weapon has a 12 round mag for a 5 shot kill weapon.

Assuming it stays 5 shot, I think it would be wise to use the extended magazine variant.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Aside from the aiming, and actually fun fights there was something else I noticed about my engagements between games.

My magazine size is to small in Halo 5. I got caught reloading mid engagement going back over to Halo 5

I mean think about it. We have the most evasive players ever in H5 while our utility weapon has a 12 round mag for a 5 shot kill weapon.

Assuming it stays 5 shot, I think it would be wise to use the extended magazine variant.

I think the extended mag is too much. 15 shots is fine

Should have enough for three perfect kills.

H1 - 12 rounds 4 pk

H2 - 36 rounds - 3pk

H3 - same

H2a - same

H4 - same after update

Mangum - 12 rounds - 2 pk

Gives us three more rounds

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the extended mag is too much. 15 shots is fine

Yeah but the extended ammo mag exists and doesn't require any changes in updates. Just set as the starting weapon and go.

15 is optimal, but we don't have a 15 round Magnum.

Yeah, but then the storm rifle and battle rifle wouldn't be considered power weapons anymore. Non-starter.

Yeah, but then the storm rifle and battle rifle wouldn't be considered power weapons anymore. Non-starter.

They should be power weapons? I think they should get the fuck of maps, because functional upgrades are bad arena shooter design.

Deeeeeeep breaths..... Deeeeep breaths

They should be power weapons? I think they should get the fuck of maps, because functional upgrades are bad arena shooter design.

Not like Halo's an arena shooter, but AFPS have always been about trash starting weapons that you try and replace ASAP.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I want to throw them back in 343's stupid face. But apparently it's their vision to have a weapon sandbox so obnoxiously underpowered that yesterday's castoffs (SMG, storm rifle) are today's power weapons.

It's amazing, the silly shit people on here tolerate and even defend because Dev Support!!!11

lol AR starts

lol the default sandbox

lol radar

lol flagnums

lol weapon pads

lol 8 second slayer respawn

I want to throw them back in 343's stupid face. But apparently it's their vision to have a weapon sandbox so obnoxiously underpowered that yesterday's castoffs (SMG, storm rifle) are today's power weapons.

It's amazing, the silly shit people on here tolerate and even defend because Dev Support!!!11

lol AR starts

lol the default sandbox

lol radar

lol flagnums

lol weapon pads

lol 8 second slayer respawn

show me one person here who is defending anything on that list except for MAYBE flagnum.  and that's really a tiny issue since you can drop the flag anyway.  We have much bigger fish to fry than flagnum.  Nobody here is defending anything else on that list. its really a dishonest representation of popular opinion around here.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not like Halo's an arena shooter, but AFPS have always been about trash starting weapons that you try and replace ASAP.

Halo's a wierd hybrid of squad and arena shooter.One of the features where it didn't borrow from arena shooters as much was map pickups.We have power weapons,and a couple niche weapons (or at least we did until halo 5 where they took the concept of having a shitty starting weapon because fuck utility weapons that shit's for cowards/s)

Halo's a wierd hybrid of squad and arena shooter.One of the features where it didn't borrow from arena shooters as much was map pickups.We have power weapons,and a couple niche weapons (or at least we did until halo 5 where they took the concept of having a shitty starting weapon because fuck utility weapons that shit's for cowards/s)

The only thing Halo ever really had in common with arena shooters were map pickups.

The only thing Halo ever really had in common with arena shooters were map pickups.

I agree with this and your last post.

Halo CE to me was the "reverse" arena shooter. Regular Arena games start you with a weak weapon but give you fast movement speed to traverse and quickly pick up upgrades (weapons/health/armor) Halo CE is the opposite, starts you out with a great utility weapon, you are incredibly slow, and rather than strafe jumping to increase speed to get items, simply nade weapons to yourself. It's like a slowed down version of an arena FPS that is somehow still fast due to those changes. (effective starting weapon + ability to acquire items without having to move for them)

For a literal arena theme.. then yes this is a common practice to have so many items on a map that are upgrades to the starting weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Thank you.

Also @Larry Sizemore weapon pads are a net improvement for the game. I've said this in the past, but the impact they have on high-level games is almost non-existant (good players all know the times, so it was already very rare for power weapons to go uncontested) and they improve the experience significantly for lower level players by introducing them to the strategy around obtaining a contested pickup (a problem they never would have had to solve in previous games).

They aren't necessary, by any means, but it's always struck me as an odd thing for people to pick on. Basically only hurts the experience for pub-stompers and the "betray for sniper" types, both groups who usually negatively influence the experience of other players anyways.

• Upvote (+1) 5

How often did you ditch the trash weapon for a better version of said trash weapon?

How often did you ditch the trash weapon for a better version of said trash weapon?

As soon as you find any gun at all. If you mean something that functions similarly to the default starting weapon; every time you get the LG.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thank you.

Also @Larry Sizemore weapon pads are a net improvement for the game. I've said this in the past, but the impact they have on high-level games is almost non-existant (good players all know the times, so it was already very rare for power weapons to go uncontested) and they improve the experience significantly for lower level players by introducing them to the strategy around obtaining a contested pickup (a problem they never would have had to solve in previous games).

They aren't necessary, by any means, but it's always struck me as an odd thing for people to pick on. Basically only hurts the experience for pub-stompers and the "betray for sniper" types, both groups who usually negatively influence the experience of other players anyways.

I don't have an issue with static timers for power weapons and power-ups or the general concept of waypoints for power items. I like that weapon pads in Halo 5 lowers the skill floor(barrier of entry) for new players however I really dislike the fact that it gives away information of when that item is picked up or naded off of the weapon pad. Now this may not have a huge impact on the 4v4 meta but it can have a significant impact on smaller player formats such as 1v1 and 2v2. This is why forgers sometimes use workarounds to put power weapons and power-ups on static timers without having to use weapon pads.

If 343 wants to use waypoints for the tier 3 power weapons such as rockets and the sniper then they need to make the weapon pads not give away information of when the item is picked up or naded off of the weapon pad. 343 should take some notes from the NHE team, in the training mode of Halo 1 NHEv7 there are waypoints for power-ups and power weapons but unlike weapon pads in Halo 5 they don't give away information of when the power item is picked up or moved by grenades.

tl;dr: Halo 1 NHEv7 Training mode waypoints for power-ups and power weapons > the current implementation of Halo 5's weapon pads.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If 343 wants to use waypoints for the tier 3 power weapons such as rockets and the sniper then they need to make the weapon pads not give away information of when the item is picked up or naded off of the weapon pad. 343 should take some notes from the NHE team, in the training mode of Halo 1 NHEv7 there are waypoints for power-ups and power weapons but unlike weapon pads in Halo 5 they don't give away information of when the power item is picked up or moved by grenades.

IIRC someone suggested this to 343 and they liked the idea a while back. Wouldn't be surprised to see it in the future. Basically have the waypoint go away after a set period of time like 10 seconds.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Thank you.

Bullshit.

Maybe everyone should have aimbots too. It wouldn't matter at high-level play, since everyone 5-shots each other anyway. But it would really help the experience for lesser skilled players! Get over yourself you pub-stomper!

Guess what - timing weapons is part of the game. Staying on task, without having your hand held, is part of the game. It doesn't "introduce" anyone to the "strategy" (buzzwords!) of getting a contested weapon (because power weapons were never contested before 343 put this stupid shit in the game!), it just flashes a huge green waypoint on the player's screen alerting them that a power weapon just spawned, and also alerts them when the weapon has been picked up, even if they're across the fucking map. That's not okay.

The gap between this place and r/halo is shrinking every single day, and posts like this are the reason why.

• Downvote (-1) 8

^ the effect of weapon announcements is negligible.

The skill isn't in memorizing spawn times. The skill is in setting up for and securing the weapon.

Actually, the announcements helps ensure this conflict occurs at all skill levels, which allows beginners more opportunity to practice the actual skills needed.

At high levels, the announcements have no effect on anything. These players know when weapons spawn anyway.

The only issue is how the waypoint operates... not because it shows where the weapon spawns (anyone who isn't a beginner knows spawn locations anyway), but because it disappears when the weapon is picked up- unfairly revealing someone's position. If the waypoint was on a static timer, that problem goes away.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Bullshit.

Maybe everyone should have aimbots too. It wouldn't matter at high-level play, since everyone 5-shots each other anyway. But it would really help the experience for lesser skilled players! Get over yourself you pub-stomper!

Guess what - timing weapons is part of the game. Staying on task, without having your hand held, is part of the game. It doesn't "introduce" anyone to the "strategy" (buzzwords!) of getting a contested weapon (because power weapons were never contested before 343 put this stupid shit in the game!), it just flashes a huge green waypoint on the player's screen alerting them that a power weapon just spawned, and also alerts them when the weapon has been picked up, even if they're across the fucking map. That's not okay.

The gap between this place and r/halo is shrinking every single day, and posts like this are the reason why.

The tournament standard version of CE literally has spoken timers built into the game. CE: the Halo game with the largest skill gap. Is this really the hill you want to die on? The only problem I have with the weapon pads in H5 has already been mentioned (there is no reason that they should be telling everyone on the map when a weapon was picked up). What you're arguing for is just making the game more obtuse out of what seems to be some arbitrary sense of elitism. It's a quality of life improvement. The comparison to aimbots doesn't make sense.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The tournament standard version of CE literally has spoken timers built into the game. CE: the Halo game with the largest skill gap. Is this really the hill you want to die on? The only problem I have with the weapon pads in H5 has already been mentioned (there is no reason that they should be telling everyone on the map when a weapon was picked up). What you're arguing for is just making the game more obtuse out of what seems to be some arbitrary sense of elitism. It's a quality of life improvement. The comparison to aimbots doesn't make sense.

Halo 1's spoken timer has no visual cues, doesn't tell you where the weapon spawns, nor does it tell you when someone has picked it up off its spawn point. It's literally just a timer announcing 1 minute/2 minutes/30 seconds. And it only came into being because Halo 1 has no on-screen timer.

An experienced player already knows what weapons are spawning when and where they are on the map (and in a lot of cases, if an opposing player picks it up they probably have an idea where they're going with it). Good for them. That's why they are 'experienced'. If a less experienced player wants to gain this knowledge, they can GO FUCKING FIGURE IT OUT. If you coddle people it's only going to cheapen the game for them and make them less likely to stick with it after they do improve.

• Downvote (-1) 3

An experienced player already knows what weapons are spawning when and where they are on the map (and in a lot of cases, if an opposing player picks it up they probably have an idea where they're going with it). Good for them. That's why they are 'experienced'.

And this is exactly why this has almost no impact for experienced players (aside from, again, the problem that pretty much EVERYONE has acknowledged). Thanks for clarifying that point.

If a less experienced player wants to gain this knowledge, they can GO FUCKING FIGURE IT OUT. If you coddle people it's only going to cheapen the game for them and make them less likely to stick with it after they do improve.

So, basically, you think a trivial additional barrier to entry is inherently a good thing and encouraging players at low levels to consider elements of the game they wouldn't have otherwise (things experienced players, we have already established, are already aware of) "cheapens" the game? It is not hard to know where weapons spawn and keep track of timers in Halo. Your argument is basically "accessibility is bad. Noobs need to git gud." This isn't coddling people. It's a quality of life improvement. If anything, reducing the trivial shit new players have to "FUCKING FIGURE OUT" is going to HELP people stick with it. Being needlessly obtuse in order to meet some arbitrary "hardcore" quota will not.

There are so many bigger problems with this game than this.

• Upvote (+1) 7

IIRC someone suggested this to 343 and they liked the idea a while back. Wouldn't be surprised to see it in the future. Basically have the waypoint go away after a set period of time like 10 seconds.

I think a good starting point to test out is if it disappeared like 10 seconds before spawning. That way it still helps give off the location but doesn't give away the information of when its picked up like it does currently.

I also think 343 using overview/detailed maps as loading screens would be pretty beneficial to newer players. Show like red/blue starting spawns, power up/power weapon locations and basic callouts if possible in a map overview for the map thats currently loading or whatever.

• Upvote (+1) 1