CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Yep. When "should i replace my utility weapon with this map pickup?" Is a really easy question to answer, you have a problem.

But, but every weapon should have role.Precision weapons shouldn't be good at every range.Automatics take skill!/kappa

The BR being a fraction of a second slower, not faster. The Magnum is a flat 1.2 if my information is correct.

But either way, any utility rifle is just easier to use, more forgiving, sometimes faster TTK (light rifle), easier 2/3 shot beatdown, more range, has more shots per mag and so on than the pistol

What downsides do these weapons have against a magnum that the magnum can exploit? None. So players respawning are now going against a objectively better precision utility weapon. And if that is the case, you are defeating the purpose of having a utility weapon of spawn.

I mean can you imagine coming into an engagemen in Halo CE-3 and your opponent has a Pistol/BR that has more aim assist, magnetism than your utility weapon and he can more easily cross map you? It's ludicrous. It should not be a thing.

The entire point of a Utility weapon (specifically in CE) is to be on par with every weapon on the map in it's ability to be utilitarian. If it is failing to be utilitarian vs the rest of the sandbox, it's not a good utility weapon.

I think the pistol in it's own right is decently designed, skilfull weapon (but then Halo 5's aiming is so wonky, an accurate test isn't likely to happen), but the rest of the sandbox surrounding it is either a better version of it, an op automatic or an overly forgiving power weapon.

Infinity's proposed changes are a band aid solution to a larger problem, the Halo 5 sandbox is not well balanced for an Arena shooter, especially Halo. It had the tiered balancing system of an unlock system, where each tier is better than the last, when an arena shooter needs a matrix, a system where every power weapon fufills a role, and really isn't actually a power weapon, but a pick up. Ideally, the only ACTUAL power weapon should be the Rockets. everything else should be a niche counterpart to the utility weapon.

This guy gets it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Posts like these are what encourage me to keep fighting the good fight

Many of us have been making this argument basically since launch but this is the most succint explanation yet I think:

...the Halo 5 sandbox is not well balanced for an Arena shooter, especially Halo. It has the tiered balancing system of an unlock system, where each tier is better than the last, when an arena shooter needs a matrix, a system where every power weapon fufills a role, and really isn't actually a power weapon, but a pick up. Ideally, the only ACTUAL power weapon should be the Rockets. everything else should be a niche counterpart to the utility weapon.

Im going to carry that around in my back pocket

• Upvote (+1) 4

Many of us have been making this argument basically since launch but this is the most succint explanation yet I think:

Im going to carry that around in my back pocket

Like an emergency condom

• Upvote (+1) 2

Perfect Body shots only kill time.

Magnum - 1.8    +.24 for each miss

AR - 1.4    +.095 for each miss

Perfect Kill Time with Headshots

Magnum - 1.2    +.24 for each miss

AR - 1.1    +.095 for each miss

I was going to do a bunch more calculations to explain why this is shitty but work got busy so fuck.  

Is there any way to pull the average kill times per weapon out of the API or something?

Seems like if we got the AR to have no headshot damage and added 1/10 - 2/10 second to the kill time it would be in a pretty good place for damage output, even if its not mechanically.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Like an emergency condom

I prefer to call it a "lucky" condom....

• Upvote (+1) 2

Honestly, the AR's kill time is fine. The problem is that the magnum is too SLOW. #4SKMagnum

Remove the head shot multiplier, make the bullets to break shields slightly more to make beat downs less effective, and we should be good.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Honestly, the AR's kill time is fine. The problem is that the magnum is too SLOW. #4SKMagnum

Remove the head shot multiplier, make the bullets to break shields slightly more to make beat downs less effective, and we should be good.

Another imbalance is the accuracy of the AR past close range both when fired from the hip and in ADS. Increase the AR's spread and bloom and remove ADS and it would no longer be able to contest the utility weapon except when in close range (and even then it wouldn't dominate against players that have good aim, as god intended). The actual raw kill time of the AR in H5 was never the issue.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Its fairly simple In my opinion. All competitive playlists should have no radar, and competitive playlists such as FFA and Team Arena should be no radar/No AR starts. AR starts lessen the skill gap and make it so much easier for worse players to use AR/radar combination as a crutch

• Downvote (-1) 4

Its fairly simple In my opinion. All competitive playlists should have no radar, and competitive playlists such as FFA and Team Arena should be no radar/No AR starts. AR starts lessen the skill gap and make it so much easier for worse players to use AR/radar combination as a crutch

Radar is kind of standard in 'competitive' FFA soooo.,

• Upvote (+1) 7

For the record, my post was under the assumption that 343 would be "sticking to their guns" in terms of keeping the loadout weapons the same for Halo 5.

I obviously would prefer Magnum only starts, in a perfect world.

Do we competitive settings somewhere that the majority likes? Can't follow this here. Sorry.

I think 18m SA radar with Pistol-only starts and ARs in place of SMGs is the leading candidate right now.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think 18m SA radar with Pistol-only starts and ARs in place of SMGs is the leading candidate right now.

Thanks! Is there a "official" TeamBeyond Settings account? 

• Increase the rate of bloom so that it's less effective to hold down the trigger outside of very close range
  • Disable headshots past a certain level of bloom (probably after the first 3 bullets in a given "burst")
  • Slight reduction to red reticle range

This means players have to either get closer or burst and aim for headshots to reliably get kills with it at higher levels. At low levels it'll function roughly the same, since the extra few bullets they'll miss by spraying won't change the outcome very often, and headshots with the AR are rare enough at those levels to not be a significant factor.

That second bullet is great.

I second tibby here.  genius idea.  Just wanted to quote this in the settings thread so its less likely to get lost too.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I second tibby here.  genius idea.  Just wanted to quote this in the settings thread so its less likely to get lost too.

Sorry to quote myself here quoting Bunnies and Tibby but the more i think about the "AR headshots only count for the first 3 bullets of a burst" idea the more i like it.  Not that I don't think the base damage should be tweaked too, but this is the best implementation if you want to retain headshots on the autos.  with this implementation 1 of 2 things will always be true:

1) They spammed the trigger and did enough base damage to kill me, meaning i probably missed (provided base damage is fixed)

2) They stopped firing long enough for the spread to reset, then hit me with a burst in the face

In both cases, I should probably lose and im ok with that.

I assume this is all provided the bullet magnetism for the weapon is significantly reduced, right? RNG spread isn't the only factor that makes the current head shot bonus questionable.

I assume this is all provided the bullet magnetism for the weapon is significantly reduced, right? RNG spread isn't the only factor that makes the current head shot bonus questionable.

Yes

I wouldn't even say significantly reduced, tbh. The original question was basically "How do you make the winner of AR fights less random without nerfing it too much?" And while reducing magnetism would certainly help, It would also significantly nerf the gun considering the state of the rest of the sandbox.

That was a big part of the reason for my last bullet point, to effectively decrease aim-assist at the ranges that are an issue without nerfing the gun in its close-range fights.