CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Only played a few games of it, but the new radar is much better than the vanilla radar. It was fun getting to move around the map and not constantly be on radar and have someone waiting for me around every corner. I don't have a headset with me right now, so I can't really experience the sounds that people are bringing up which can essentially replace radar for an aware player.

The spawns seem pretty weird in Proving Grounds though...I spawned in some pretty awful places during multiple games. I know map movement has increased a lot, but there were times I spawned literally between enemy players with one of them looking at me as I spawned in. Specifically the Rig felt like it had altered spawns compared to the normal Arena experience.

Weird spawn points and my apparent lack of skill aside, it was actually kind of fun to play. I haven't played much at all in the last 4 or 5 months, but I can see myself getting online a little more to play with the modified radar.

Not enjoying PG.

Don't know if thats because I've hardly been playing, my shot is ass right now or i only play by myself.

But I was getting destroyed on it.

Not enjoying PG.

Don't know if thats because I've hardly been playing, my shot is ass right now or i only play by myself.

But I was getting destroyed on it.

The ranking systems is balancing the new players, and also to4 are running rampant, in this playlist you need to communicate more.

In regards to Tyrant, I actually think the Sun Deck side of the map is more properly designed than the rest of the map. The new rocks they added look pretty ugly but they add some extra fluidity for movement options and prevent unnecessary thrust burning in that area.

Moon/Snipe side on the other hand is just a linear lane with three claustrophobic ramps without any creative flow to them.

Additionally, the map has virtually no sightlines to Top Mid and Attics are easily campable.

If they just chopped half the walls off that map (like most of the DLC maps) then Tyrant could be in contention as a half decent map in my opinion. Currently, I think it's one of the worst maps in the game.

• Upvote (+1) 7

In regards to Tyrant, I actually think the Sun Deck side of the map is more properly designed than the rest of the map. The new rocks they added look pretty ugly but they add some extra fluidity for movement options and prevent unnecessary thrust burning in that area.

Moon/Snipe side on the other hand is just a linear lane with three claustrophobic ramps without any creative flow to them.

Additionally, the map has virtually no sightlines to Top Mid and Attics are easily campable.

If they just chopped half the walls off that map (like most of the DLC maps) then Tyrant could be in contention as a half decent map in my opinion. Currently, I think it's one of the worst maps in the game.

Same here. Slayer plays like a malignant tumor on that map. I can only tolerate it in CTF/Assault. So many of these maps could be improved by about 50% by just removing a couple key walls.

Halo doesn't play well in small, segmented areas when killtimes are this long. It creates cheesy, campy gameplay. I have no problem with room based maps, but the rooms need to be big and easily accessible.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Pretty much spot on. Convert the wall that runs from Attic to Snipe into a regular railing and the map is instantly better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Remove splinters from top mid on mercy strongholds

Completely remove empire slayer. It doesn't work. It never will. It's not fun

Get rid of the carbine on every map. I'm so frustrated that every map especially slayer is about dominating rifles and theirs nothing pistols can do long range. It really makes me not want to play anymore and I like this game

Get rid of the carbine on every map. I'm so frustrated that every map especially slayer is about dominating rifles and theirs nothing pistols can do long range. It really makes me not want to play anymore and I like this game

Carbine only really causes problems on Truth from my experience. Would like to see slower re-spawns on rifles in general, though, and I think Truth would be the perfect place to try Tactical magnum as a pickup weapon (instead of BR/Carbine).

• Upvote (+1) 1

You know what would fix that?A 4sk pistol.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Carbine only really causes problems on Truth from my experience. Would like to see slower re-spawns on rifles in general, though, and I think Truth would be the perfect place to try Tactical magnum as a pickup weapon (instead of BR/Carbine).

Truth is the biggest offender but the eoblem is everywhere. It's the only rifle you can't do anything about in a fight long range. And when you get hit it's like a disorienting effect
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Probably going to get neg rep'd into oblivion, but does anybody else feel like Overgrowth SH > Empire SH in Proving Grounds?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Probably going to get neg rep'd into oblivion, but does anybody else feel like Overgrowth SH > Empire SH in Proving Grounds?

I dunno, the hallways kinda mute the conflict on Overgrowth. You rarely see the rotations, so all of the actions takes place IN the strongholds.

It's a different kind of cancer compared to Empire, imo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I dunno, the hallways kinda mute the conflict on Overgrowth. You rarely see the rotations, so all of the actions takes place IN the strongholds.

It's a different kind of cancer compared to Empire, imo.

Very true, maybe I'm just ready for another type of cancer? Agreed. Still cancer either way

Nah.  Strongholds plays better on Overgrowth than any other gametype, but the map is still just straight bad.

Remixing maps is not a good way to go.  I don't think they will do that again in H6.  If you make a good map that you are happy with and plays well (most of the disc maps are at least decent) i don't think that's a great map to use as a template.  You are kind of limiting yourself to map configurations that are recognizable in some way to the first map, but also forcing yourself to change enough stuff to justify it being a "new map".

Overgrowth SH is a fun gametype, but I'd never want to have to play it in a tournament. Weirdly if any of the test gametypes get in I'd want it to be Torque but it still needs tweaking (The flag should spawn top-base so it's not so impossible to pull it while the other team is spawning).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Overgrowth SH is a fun gametype, but I'd never want to have to play it in a tournament. Weirdly if any of the test gametypes get in I'd want it to be Torque but it still needs tweaking (The flag should spawn top-base so it's not so impossible to pull it while the other team is spawning).

Agreed. Move the flag spawn and remove the scripted elevators and the Torque CTF is very much playable, especially with the new weapon set and geo they've laid out.

Overgrowth is always hit or miss. It's got some really solid fundamentals for Strongholds but is missing just a couple key sightlines that make the gameplay a bit gimmicky. I think the Grenade Launcher works on that gametype as well.

Off Topic: Radar 2.0 > No Radar (@ me in the Arena thread keyboard warriors)

--

Done!

and i agree.  I only played a handful of no radar games, compared to SA radar, but i think the SA radar works better in Halo 5.

I wish that was not the case but im not willing to say that No radar is better "just because".

IMO the fact that no radar isn't better is a symptom of the other mechanical issues that the game has.  The new radar is pretty good symptom management, but it is not a cure.

Whats the actual goal we are striving for in changing the radar? Is this supposed to be some sort of compromise between competitive and casual players? Should we be compromising or should we be pushing for the most competitive setting possible? 

I will say that I am not used to the new radar mechanics because I've formed so many bad habits with the old radar. The first few games I noticed I was looking at Radar way too much. I was trying to outsmart my opponent based on literal data that I was accustomed to getting rather than actually inferring what scenario would happen and make an educated guess. Once I stopped looking at Radar and just used my brain I was doing so much better.

I only played a handful of no radar customs, but I still enjoyed those much much more than any other variation of radar so far. I still don't understand why it's something forced/given to us as if we are all too bad to figure out anything without it. Yes, I understand theres a lot of map routes, and movement techniques, but that part of the debate doesn't really hold much weight for me. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Done!

and i agree.  I only played a handful of no radar games, compared to SA radar, but i think the SA radar works better in Halo 5.

I wish that was not the case but im not willing to say that No radar is better "just because".

IMO the fact that no radar isn't better is a symptom of the other mechanical issues that the game has.  The new radar is pretty good symptom management, but it is not a cure.

I enjoy a lot of things that the new abilities bring to the table (whether the negatives outweigh the positives is an entirely different conversation, obviously), but yeah, the new Radar nerfs a lot of the unpredictability that SAs bring to the table, which encourages disciplined movement and more standard walking, which in turn makes the game feel more like Classic Halo while also having the benefits of No Radar.

I think we're going to see movement slow down with Radar 2.0, but gameplay is going to speed up as players have more freedom with flanks and finishing gunfights. I really like what I played so far.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I enjoy a lot of things that the new abilities bring to the table (whether the negatives outweigh the positives is an entirely different conversation, obviously), but yeah, the new Radar nerfs a lot of the unpredictability that SAs bring to the table, which encourages disciplined movement and more standard walking, which in turn makes the game feel more like Classic Halo while also having the benefits of No Radar.

I think we're going to see movement slow down with Radar 2.0, but gameplay is going to speed up as players have more freedom with flanks and finishing gunfights. I really like what I played so far.

I actually don't think we'll see movement slow down much. Since you can walk and basically thrust without showing up on radar. People with good movement like Shotzzy and Frosty will be buffed.

Whats the actual goal we are striving for in changing the radar? Is this supposed to be some sort of compromise between competitive and casual players? Should we be compromising or should we be pushing for the most competitive setting possible?

I will say that I am not used to the new radar mechanics because I've formed so many bad habits with the old radar. The first few games I noticed I was looking at Radar way too much. I was trying to outsmart my opponent based on literal data that I was accustomed to getting rather than actually inferring what scenario would happen and make an educated guess. Once I stopped looking at Radar and just used my brain I was doing so much better.

I only played a handful of no radar customs, but I still enjoyed those much much more than any other variation of radar so far. I still don't understand why it's something forced/given to us as if we are all too bad to figure out anything without it. Yes, I understand theres a lot of map routes, and movement techniques, but that part of the debate doesn't really hold much weight for me.

The unique thing about this radar is that it encourages running over sprinting.

It makes the game feel far closer to classic Halo imo. I think proving grounds actually strikes a really nice balance between classic and new Halo and I hope H6 ships with this radar as default.

The unique thing about this radar is that it encourages running over sprinting.

It makes the game feel far closer to classic Halo imo. I think proving grounds actually strikes a really nice balance between classic and new Halo and I hope H6 ships with this radar as default.

I do like the new radar better than the old one so I'll agree with you there.

I actually don't think we'll see movement slow down much. Since you can walk and basically thrust without showing up on radar. People with good movement like Shotzzy and Frosty will be buffed.

I meant more in terms of macro map movement (Thrust Sliding, Sprinting, Stabilizing everywhere, etc.)

More intimate techniques, jumps, and routes that Frosty and Shotzzy have popularized are certainly going to see tons of new potential.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd say that, after actually testing no-radar, there was about a 50-50 split among pro players over whether they preferred no radar or default radar. Most of those that preferred radar suggested that an abilities-only radar would address the concerns of both groups (Radar helps prevent people from sprinting around without consequence, but you can still juke people and flank more efficiently than with the default radar).

It's more of a compromise between two groups of competitive players.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I love Proving Grounds, the only issue I see is low population, yesterday I played the same to4 5 times in a row. It's a shame that people don't like the playlist