CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Excessive, easy to use power-weapons and functional upgrades placed in power positions contributes just as much if not more than the spawn timers. Snowballing via cascading advantages (power weapons) or snowballing via collapse-able spawns, either way it's still snowballing. It's the fundamental flaw with Slayer as a game mode: Anything you do to encourage movement is also going to contribute to snowballing.

I agree with you in the context of Halo 5, not so much other Halo games. But yeah you're right.

It's weak in comparison to every map pick up

It's weak in comparison to to every power weapon

It's weak in comparison to the spawn auto weapon

It's weak in comparison to the movement capabilities of players

How is it's weakness overstated?

Making everything harder to use is not a fix all solution because you've now made escapability even more of an issue.

The pistol just needs to be stronger.

I'm saying that the reality is we don't know how weak it really is because we have been playing with it in a sandbox that is full of easy weapons and OP auto's.

Those problems need to be corrected regardless and it would be best to correct them first.

It's weak in comparison to every map pick up - Every map pickup is a too easy, simple TTK upgrade.

It's weak in comparison to to every power weapon - Of course it is, they're power weapons, it should be under-powered. The only exception here is the Sniper since its difficult to descope it long range with the magnum.  This point is still moot though because the sniper is so easy scoped or unscoped that needs to get corrected first.

It's weak in comparison to the spawn auto weapon - The spawn auto weapon does too much damage at too great a range.

It's weak in comparison to the movement capabilities of players - I'm calling this overstated too.  sprinting players are very easy to hit.  a single thrust in the middle of a firefight isn't nearly as difficult to compensate for as say quick strafe acceleration like in Overwatch.  I would agree with this point if strafe acceleration was maxed out.

Honestly i'm not even disagreeing with you that that may (probably) need to happen.  I'm just saying there are a lot of other things that need to happen first and i think its not a good idea to leap to that conclusion.

It's weak in comparison to the movement capabilities of players - I'm calling this overstated too.  sprinting players are very easy to hit.  a single thrust in the middle of a firefight isn't nearly as difficult to compensate for as say quick strafe acceleration like in Overwatch.  I would agree with this point if strafe acceleration was maxed out.

It's way too easy to thrust and sprint away from people.

Honestly if a single person catches you out in the open from a distance with a pistol they are pretty much not a threat to kill you at all. H5 and H3(swap out pistol for BR) are the only Halo games where this is true and it's a big issue.

the H5 pistol just does not have a fast enough perfect TTK to punish people unless you're teamshooting.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think the weakness of the pistol is overstated. Its weak in comparison to every other map pickup yes.  But there is also the issue where all other map pickups are just so damn easy to use.  Increase the difficultly level of most other weapons even slightly, and suddenly the pistol becomes a lot stronger.

I look at it this way: Yes you might be right.  A buffed pistol might be better.  But we really dont know that. It could simply have the effect of making every other weapon useless (inb4 the "whats wrong with that??" arguments).  What we do know is that regardless of the starting weapon power, the rest of the sandbox is still jacked.  Auto's need a nerf and rifles need to be harder to use.  Start there then move to a more powerful starting weapon if necessary.

If every weapon besides the pistol is OP, then maybe the pistol is the weapon that isn't balanced well. As far as making every other weapon useless, that's just a matter of magnitude. Making the pistol better doesn't have to mean 4sk as-is, it could mean 4sk with a reduction in RoF (so that it kills only slightly faster, and gets 3 kills-per-clip). Right now swapping your pistol for a rifle is rarely an interesting or difficult decision, and I think that's bad for the game.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Honestly if a single person catches you out in the open from a distance with a pistol they are pretty much not a threat to kill you at all. H5 and H3(swap out pistol for BR) are the only Halo games where this is true and it's a big issue.

the H5 pistol just does not have a fast enough perfect TTK to punish people unless you're teamshooting.

If every weapon besides the pistol is OP, then maybe the pistol is the weapon that isn't balanced well. As far as making every other weapon useless, that's just a matter of magnitude. Making the pistol better doesn't have to mean 4sk as-is, it could mean 4sk with a reduction in RoF (so that it kills only slightly faster, and gets 3 kills-per-clip). Right now swapping your pistol for a rifle is rarely an interesting or difficult decision, and I think that's bad for the game.

I dont disagree with any of these specific points. I think that overall the bigger problem isn't the pistol being weak, its almost everything else being too damn easy. The aim assist and magnetism across the board is ridiculous in this game.  Or maybe it's the hitboxes. Or both.  Either way we know 100% that is a problem, so we should fix it.

A weak pistol is probably a problem, but you never know what meta balance changes will end up creating so its best to fix the 100% known, across the board issues, play with it for a few weeks, then tweak again.

The problem is.... is 343 agile enough or willing to do this?   If i were a magic 8 ball: "Signs point to NO"

So where do we go from there?

You know the solution for this... integrate those "Slider scale" characteristics for individual weapons (base damage, RoF, RRR etc) into the custom game options.  Let us test all this shit ourselves.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That isn't even true, you can get 5d before you can get back to cover if you're walking around like an idiot.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I dont disagree with any of these specific points. I think that overall the bigger problem isn't the pistol being weak, its almost everything else being too damn easy. The aim assist and magnetism across the board is ridiculous in this game.  Or maybe it's the hitboxes. Or both.  Either way we know 100% that is a problem, so we should fix it.

A weak pistol is probably a problem, but you never know what meta balance changes will end up creating so its best to fix the 100% known, across the board issues, play with it for a few weeks, then tweak again.

The problem is.... is 343 agile enough or willing to do this?   If i were a magic 8 ball: "Signs point to NO"

So where do we go from there?

You know the solution for this... integrate those "Slider scale" characteristics for individual weapons (base damage, RoF, RRR etc) into the custom game options.  Let us test all this shit ourselves.

The rifles in this game are no easier than the H2 BR, H2A BR or the H4 rifles. It's obviously not ideal but it's not a massive or unprecedented issue.

That isn't even true, you can get 5d before you can get back to cover if you're walking around like an idiot.

You'd have to be a pretty big fucking idiot.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

The rifles in this game are no easier than the H2 BR, H2A BR or the H4 rifles. It's obviously not ideal but it's not a massive or unprecedented issue.

It is when the Magnum is harder to use than any of them

It is when the Magnum is harder to use than any of them

But that's an issue with the pistol's power.

If it had a faster TTK than the rifles than it being harder to use is actually perfect balance.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If it had a faster TTK than the rifles than it being harder to use is actually perfect balance.

The rifles in this game are definitely the easiest in the series. The bullet mag is insane on them.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Balanced, but not good

There still should not be weapons that are functional clones/upgrades.

One/Two Precision weapons is all that is needed

We have fucking 6, all contributing to inconsistent combat.

Like, what are they doing? How do they think this is a serviceable Arena sandbox? Do they care? Probably not

I'm tired of 343, I have never seen such a waste of a large franchise in gaming.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think the Halo Reach DMR Is probably the perfect utility weapon that we should be aiming for. Reasonably hard to use (especially at range), has excellent overall range, good kill time. It doesn't face the issues associated with spread either because it's a single shot weapon.

Someone mentioned something about the Recon DMR in Halo 5 feeling pretty similar. That might be an avenue worth exploring.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Maybe if the player is already sprinting when he's spotted in the open...

If you catch a player walking, and start hitting him with magnum shots, he'll never be able to start a sprint.

The pistols ttk isnt so different from other precision weapons that players can easily get away. The problem is that it's harder to use than every other precision weapon (due to magnetism and red reticle range) AND has a longer ttk, so pistol are disadvantaged in 1v1s.

The harder weapon should have a lower ttk. That way skill is rewarded.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The rifles in this game are definitely the easiest in the series. The bullet mag is insane on them.

It's so stupid. If someone charges at you at medium/close range with an auto, you have to perfect them or you're fucked. Which is pretty hard to do since every time you get hit with a bullet in this game your Spartan has a damn seizure.

Ignore the above statement if it's a storm rifle though, nothing is saving you from that, not even a perfect.

Am I on Waypoint right now?

People people do not escape every pistol fight. The pistol doesn't need to be easier, everything else needs to be harder.

People people do not escape every pistol fight. The pistol doesn't need to be easier, everything else needs to be harder.

We never asked for the pistol to be 'easier.' If you think faster, minimum kill times automatically correlate to less skillful gun play, then you need to enlighten yourself with Beach LAN streams.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

lol. I don't want it easier (though 343 does seem to thing "easy" and "powerful" are synonymous). I want it to be harder and kill faster. Making the rifles harder literally just makes them even more redundant, because ease of use is the only thing that differentiates them at all. Buffing the magnum and making it more difficult to use, would actually further emphasize the role of the rifles while making the magnum something other than a joke of a utility weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 3

We never asked for the pistol to be 'easier.' If you think faster, minimum kill times automatically correlate to less skillful gun play, then you need to enlighten yourself with Beach LAN streams.

The H5 magnum already has the fastest kill time of any Halo utility other than the CE magnum.

lol. I don't want it easier (though 343 does seem to thing "easy" and "powerful" are synonymous). I want it to be harder and kill faster. Making the rifles harder literally just makes them even more redundant, because ease of use is the only thing that differentiates them at all. Buffing the magnum and making it more difficult to use, would actually further emphasize the role of the rifles while making the magnum something other than a joke of a utility weapon.

One of the most annoying things in H5 is fighting the riffles with a pistol as the riffles are already way too powerful. And they would still have a longer red-reticle range than the pistol even if they took the same skill to use.

I think the rifles have the right range, but the wrong aim magnetism. The ease of use on them is totally unbelievable.

The pistol lacks the effective range that a utility weapon should probably have, but has the right amount of aim magnetism in comparison to the rifles available as alternatives. 

In my opinion, the lesser of the two evils is definitely the pistol. I just wish there was something in the middle that struck the right balance. I know there are a ton of different variations of rifles available such as warzone variants etc, is there nothing that sort of gets the right balance?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Or the pistol is pretty darn good. How bad is your shot?

This is one of the best counterarguments that I've ever had the pleasure of reading, you completely changed my perspective. Your argument really persuaded me into believing that Halo 5's magnum is an adequate utility weapon. /S

If you're going to have the audacity to defend an asinine game design decision then at least have the decency to provide some substance to backup your statements otherwise people are going to write-off your opinions as atrocious. I suggest taking some notes from @@Devaneaux, even though I disagree with most of his opinions on Halo 5 I can still respect that he puts a lot of effort into forming his counterarguments.

Are you having an issue comprehending what people in this thread are posting? Nobody in this thread is advocating for Halo 5's magnum to be made easier to use. What they're advocating for is for 343 to make Halo 5's magnum a more adequate utility weapon or at the very least give us a starting weapon that possesses the qualities that an adequate utility weapon should have. 

To get a more clear perspective from where we are coming from I highly recommend clicking on these two posts that I'm about to link and read them.

If 343 were to buff Halo 5's magnum to a 4SK and increase it's red reticle range we also expect for 343 to reduce it's bullet magnetism to compensate for it's buff.

I just wish there was something in the middle that struck the right balance. I know there are a ton of different variations of rifles available such as warzone variants etc, is there nothing that sort of gets the right balance?

It's mind boggling to me that 343 has added a whole bunch of precision weapon variants to Halo 5's sandbox yet none of them posses the qualities of an adequate utility weapon. It really irks me that 343 opted out of giving us a faithful recreation of the Halo 1 pistol and instead decided to give us a bastardized version of the Halo One Pistol just to please the Warzone kids. All 343 did by doing this was perpetuate the common misconception that Halo 1's pistol is “OP”,  gee thanks a lot 343 I really appreciate it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The H5 magnum already has the fastest kill time of any Halo utility other than the CE magnum.

That doesn't mean much because Halo 5's magnum minimal TTK is twice as long as Halo 1's pistol minimal TTK. Every Halo game post Halo 1 suffers from having an inadequate utility weapon mainly due to their minimal TTK being too long and Halo 5 isn't an exception.

One of the most annoying things in H5 is fighting the riffles with a pistol as the riffles are already way too powerful. And they would still have a longer red-reticle range than the pistol even if they took the same skill to use.

Even if 343 were to make Halo 5's sniper and other precision weapon variants harder to use Halo 5's magnum would still be an inadequate utility weapon. Halo 5's magnum minimal TTK is too slow and it's red reticle range is not long enough. Halo 5's magnum doesn't empower individual players to be able to kill their opponents in a timely manner so team-shooting would still be a necessary tactic when it really should only be a situational tactic. Also not to mention Halo 5's magnum would still be too weak in comparison to power weapons such as rockets. 

Ideally Halo 5's sniper and other precision weapon variants would be made harder to use while Halo 5's magnum would get buffed to a 4SK with a red reticle range increase and a bullet magnetism nerf to compensate for it's buff. 343 could also nerf Halo 5's automatic weapons but give them a secondary function to compensate for their nerf. For an example 343 could decrease the amount of damage the storm rifle does to health and have it overheat faster but give it a stun affect like Halo 1's plasma rifle. Doing this would help differentiate the automatic weapons from each other because they would have more distinct roles in the weapon sandbox.
  • Upvote (+1) 1