CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I mean it felt like shit because of that God awful flinch bug that was present.

Or did you mean something else?

That probably played a role but I also feel like the fast rof made it feel like even more of a water pistol than it does now. I like the feel of a slower firing pistol. Feels more powerful.

I want to say visual but it was super distracting. There's probably some game play out there that shows it compared to now.

It was pretty much impossible to get a 5SK kill if someone else had shot you.

I remember not being able to hit anybody after I got shot which made 1v1 duels ridiculous. I think it was more than visual.

Along with radar and the weapon changes that most people here agree wth, I would still like sprint to be removed, even if only in arena. Bump base movement speeds to 110% and tie the spartan abilities that are sprint specific to thrust. (ie. Thrust+crouch=slide) this would even further balance the spartan abilities in my opinion and make them more situational while also keeping them in the game. I would take spartan charge and slide out myself, but obviously 343 would want to keep them. Just remove sprint. It is pointless in Arena gameplay, and can easily be replaced with a faster base movement and tweaking the spartan abilities so it isn't needed. 

I know most people have given up, but I think sprint being removed from just arena is still a possibility even if it is a long shot. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Along with radar and the weapon changes that most people here agree wth, I would still like sprint to be removed, even if it only in arena. Bump base movement speeds to 110% and tie the spartan abilities that are sprint specific to thrust. (ie. Thrust+crouch=slide) this would even further balance the spartan abilities in my opinion and make them more situational while also keeping them in the game. I would take spartan charge and slide out myself, but obviously 343 would want to keep them. Just remove sprint. It is just pointless in Arena gameplay, and can easily be replaced with a faster base movement and tweaking the spartan abilities so it isn't needed.

I know most people have given up, but I think sprint being removed from just arena is still a possibility even if it is a long shot.

Its not so much people giving up but more to do with people realizing that removing sprint in HALO 5 won't work. The sprint argument was hot when the game was in development because we felt the whole game could be changed to work without it.

I think many of us have realized that sprint isn't what it was in Reach/H4. Its not game-breaking. In fact, its relationship with slide, jumping, thrusting, stabilizing, spartan charging and general movement is so integral to the games DNA. Now, YOU may not like this new ecosystem but you can't honestly say removing sprint is still the best option or even viable. People can say the maps were forced to be huge and segregated, but I'd argue Truth plays extremely well with all gametypes and isn't segregated at all. Sprint or no sprint, 343 seem to like maps like overgrowth or riptide which are massive yet maze-like. But thats not sprints fault. Now we know you can have good maps like Truth with sprint; they just need to be designed well.

Just ONE example - You can't simply tie things like slide to thrust + crouch. Part of the meta thats evolved so players cant sprint, slide, jump, thrust. Or sprint, thrust, slide then jump etc. Keep in mind this type of movement is all based around the exact speed at which sprint reaches. The only reason any of the combos above work is because of the momentum and variability that sprint gives. You cant just rip out all those aspects of the meta mid-game, and segregate that frankenstein experience to one playlist like you're suggesting.

Like I said, theres way more to it than that one example. I just can't type it all out right now.

Even if removing sprint wouldn't somehow gut the entire game and force everyone to re-learn the movement system, 343 would never agree to an overhaul like that post-release. I can't believe Im sitting here and advocating for sprint, but its obvious at this point it should stay for THIS game.

There are TONS of other solutions that are quick fixes and would benefit the game more than removing sprint at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Its not so much people giving up but more to do with people realizing that removing sprint in HALO 5 won't work. The sprint argument was hot when the game was in development because we felt the whole game could be changed to work without it.

I think many of us have realized that sprint isn't what it was in Reach/H4. Its not game-breaking. In fact, its relationship with slide, jumping, thrusting, stabilizing, spartan charging and general movement is so integral to the games DNA. Now, YOU may not like this new ecosystem but you can't honestly say removing sprint is still the best option or even viable. People can say the maps were forced to be huge and segregated, but I'd argue Truth plays extremely well with all gametypes and isn't segregated at all. Sprint or no sprint, 343 seem to like maps like overgrowth or riptide which are massive yet maze-like. But thats not sprints fault. Now we know you can have good maps like Truth with sprint; they just need to be designed well.

Just ONE example - You can't simply tie things like slide to thrust + crouch. Part of the meta thats evolved so players cant sprint, slide, jump, thrust. Or sprint, thrust, slide then jump etc. Keep in mind this type of movement is all based around the exact speed at which sprint reaches. The only reason any of the combos above work is because of the momentum and variability that sprint gives. You cant just rip out all those aspects of the meta mid-game, and segregate that frankenstein experience to one playlist like you're suggesting.

Like I said, theres way more to it than that one example. I just can't type it all out right now.

Even if removing sprint wouldn't somehow gut the entire game and force everyone to re-learn the movement system, 343 would never agree to an overhaul like that post-release. I can't believe Im sitting here and advocating for sprint, but its obvious at this point it should stay for THIS game.

There are TONS of other solutions that are quick fixes and would benefit the game more than removing sprint at this point.

I wish I could not neg anyone for two weeks and throw them all at this one post.

• Downvote (-1) 5

I wish I could not neg anyone for two weeks and throw them all at this one post.

I can't see why. I mean he has some valid points.

Gave you an upvote for a well thought out post. I dont like sprint either but its clear to me that its part of 343's gameplan at the moment, and the movement system is designed around it. 4 shot pistol for me would do more to negate the negative effects of sprint/thruster at this point without segregating the gameplay experience. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's the main demand because it's a realistic demand. While obviously in a perfect world a utility weapon with a very fast perfect time to kill that is difficult to use would be ideal that's quite a big request that has a pretry much 0% chance of happening. Slightly lowering the ttk of the pistol we already have is more likely to actually happen.

Thid would happen in a world where 343 gives a crap about what we think. We are still pushing no radar, 4 shot pistol is a pipedream.

Just because sprint seems fundamental to Halo 5 doesn't really mean it actually is, and certainly doesn't mean that it is good for the game.

Lets compare what happens when we take out sprint ( and adjust movement speed accordingly)

Spartan charge is out, which is a major positive. A super melee with a ton of magnetism is just as terrible in-game as it sounds on paper.

Slide is out too, which sounds a lot worse than it actually is. It's just a crouch with momentum from your sprint, I  hardly consider this game changing. I can confidently say that slide is the spartan ability with the least  map interaction.

Now that we sprint is out, we raise the movement speed to compensate. The great thing about this that map flow actually becomes fluid again, because it isn't impossible to predict if someone is sprinting or not.

Super slides have already been patched. I always thought that that people overrated the actual impact they had on the game, but if there was any reason for sprint to be kept, that would have been it.

The generic thrust slide combo isn't nearly as hard to do or as rewarding as super slides were. The improved flow from taking out sprint absolutely makes up taking thrust slides out.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why would you punish someone for using movement? Halo 5 was designed around their movement model. The only time you should be able to hear someone is if they are sprinting right near you and are about to spartan charge you from behind.

Any more than that, and you are punishing people for moving and not camping in corners when up one kill (this happens in 1v1, 2v2, 4v4 slayer in GB/MM at champ constantly)

An above post got positive rep for saying "we need radar because the game is too fast to not have it". But thats bullshit. Having radar punishes players who are moving, and rewards those who are not -plain and simple. With radar, players HAVE to sprint up behind you if they want to flank/assassinate you. If they just walk, they will be picked up on radar before they get close.

Right now we have a radar that punishes movement and agressiveness (which ruins Slayer when combined with H5's maps/autos). And taking out radar will essentially have no effect for 2v2 and 1v1 because the footsteps, thrusters, etc. Can be heard literally halfway across the map.

To the guy who said hearing footsteps is a skill - I will bet my Dogs left nut you've never played champ/gb 2s or singles. And I honestly don't say that to sound arrogant. But anyone playing at a high level knows just how gamebreaking these two factors are. The footsteps/thruster noise essentially halt all movement and are nothing more than wallhacks. There is NO skill in hearing someone who is two rooms over and knowing exactly where they are just because they decided to move their character. The only skillgap you can say footsteps add is the skill of walking to a store and buying a decent headset.

Theres no need for awareness and no opportunities to flank/juke enemies in 1v1/2v2 because of the radar AND soundwhoring. In the past, sound only became a factor when someone was literally within 3 meters of you. It gave you enough time to react IF you were paying very close attention. So don't act like sound in this game is anything like that. Theres no careful listening and pinpointing skills to be used. The sounds are loud and obvious. They are glorified wallhacks.

Back to radar - changing it so it only shows players who are sprinting once again punishes people for moving. So people will simply never sprint, which won't work with the way H5 was designed around it. Walking around the maps takes FAR too long without sprint punishing players THAT much for using a core mechanic would just be frustrating. By the way - I dont like sprint, for the record. H5 is built around it whether we accept it or not.

Likewise, having players only show up on radar when shooting, thrusting stabilizing, jumping, etc. Is again punishing movement and SHOOTING. Do we really want to encourage people NOT to put shots out or to not jump, thrust, slide stabilize, etc. And only walk around the map in order to not show up on radar? Walking Simulator? Anyone? See how dumb it sounds when you think about it?

Case and point - radar cannot work. It needs to go, and footsteps/character noise need to be reduced to only audible within a few meters. You can increase sprint noise slightly, sure. But the last thing we need in the game is more reasons to hide in a corner.

Last thing: Ive played tons of no-radar customs in 4v4 (where spartan noise doesnt fully break awareness), and I SWEAR to you that it was not chaotic. Nobody felt they needed to use autos or hide and crouch for 5 mins to get a flank. You feel free to make smart, unpredictible plays. You can take new routes, flank under a base without being seen by a kid staring at his radar. You can pull a classic Halo and walk behind a guy for 10 seconds, waiting for the perfect moment to end him. You can actually juke a guy hiding behind a pole without playijg ring around the rosey as he stares at his radar. You can lose someone who is chasing you by taking awkward routes. THATS real Halo. I think we're a starting to forget what we've lost because of radar.

Thank you
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I think you should absolutely keep foot sounds, weapon swap sounds, all of that unless you are crouched. Saying that sound info is "Given to you" instead of "Earned" is like saying knowing an enemy was across the map because you saw them was "Given" to you and not "Earned".... Hearing is a different sense yeah, but it is a real one just like vision and should be effective, unlike radar which is artificial. Even when you hear opponents around you, you still need to be paying attention to know whether its an enemy or a teammate and be able to locate it quickly.

Seeing an enemy across the map is a result of you making a decision to look in a certain area. Yes, you can get lucky and happen to look in the right areas at all the right times but everything in this game has some small element of luck. as someone said earlier, hearing someone through walls or swapping weapons is the result of you buying headphones that feed you information. In other words, swiveling your character's head to check is a series of choices that will vary based on your level of skill, while having your ears open is not.

You make a good point that one needs the awareness to distinguish between teammates and enemies. However, you will often know where your team is if they are calling out and you have good awareness.

I can entertain something like the jet pack in reach making loud noise because it gives you such a huge ability to gain map positioning. However, being able to hear someone who is just making a sneaky flank takes away from the game in my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Think he means by this, 343i's opinion on radar being removed not his. These downvotes are brutal lol

I know that's what he meant and I downvoted to show my disapproval of 343's opinion on this

I think you should absolutely keep foot sounds, weapon swap sounds, all of that unless you are crouched.  Saying that sound info is "Given to you" instead of "Earned" is like saying knowing an enemy was across the map because you saw them was "Given" to you and not "Earned"....  Hearing is a different sense yeah, but it is a real one just like vision and should be effective, unlike radar which is artificial.

You can't choose what to hear lol. It just removes awareness from the game and an aspect of teamwork. Without audio cues you have to look in a specific area in order to gain any information from it, and that information is blocked by objects aka you can't see through walls. Having audio give away locations just makes it almost impossible to have flanks or to play sneaky. Like many others have pointed out, it just promotes not moving which is boring and instead of having 15 kills in a 1v1, you have 3-2 games because moving is so detrimental to playing. Even no sound on crouching is no where near enough. Imagine crouching from red fan to blue fan. Chances are the opponent will eventually look there in the 30seconds it takes you to cross and find you. 

I'm okay with weapon reload sounds as it's not such a big deal (though I would prefer them muted). When I switch weapons irl, I don't make sound, dont even know why this is in the game. Only weapon that makes sense is the sword. 

Audio cues are 360 degrees of information both vertically and horizontally that you can't control. Hearing can be effective in another way like hearing weapons being picked up, hearing grenades, or you know the classic hearing your teammate's callout. 

Even when you hear opponents around you, you still need to be paying attention to know whether its an enemy or a teammate and be able to locate it quickly.

Yes, I forgot it's impossible to play halo without a teammmate. And even with teammates in the game it's not difficult at all to know if it's a teammate or not. It's a little something, I agree. It's not a major factor in advocating for an audio radar.

It's painful to watch these videos:

edit: if halo 1 had halo5 footstep sounds, this play would never be possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLUP7qo6TCw#t=3m25s And damn, this 1v1 is actually really good for a quick google search. It also actually showcases a lot what I was talking about. at the point where I linked, Matt logan was betting on zyos to pick up the PR or frag grenades so he'd hear him coming up PR ladder and was hardscoped looking for camo going up OS ramp. However, Matt should have been looking around as he forgot about the now infamous Zyos jump. Then throughout the video you can see zyos use nades to try to make matt think he's over there and nade jumped up to pr ladder, and it works at 5:18. That's why zyos was able to attempt the jump out in the open twice and walk up os ramp unnoticed which nets him a kill on a guy with a half OS layer. And other times throughout the video, Zyos uses sound cues of where his opponent's pistol shots are landing in order to determine if Matt sees him cloaked or he's just shooting blanks hoping for a peg; not to mention that shooting your pistol gives a little flare as well as an audio cue as to where you are aka you're being punished for shooting. Also at some points in this video, zyos doesn't quick camo as he doesn't want his opponent to know he has camo. These are all good examples of proper audio awareness implementation.

Earlier in this video before the timestamp I linked (1:43). Zyos hears his opponent switch weapons that he's hiding behind the corner. It was a mistake for zyos to change weapons there, he really shouldn't have done that. But I find it silly that even though matt has a general location of zyos, he has to get punished either by not having the proper gun out for the situation or by having to give away his location. I'd also like to mention that the halo1 community removed weapon switching sounds, so there is none of these shenanigans at their LAN.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wasn't around this forum very much during Halo 5's development..how much of all this was said when change could feasibly happen in the game? They said they offered us the beta so early because then they could respond to feedback and make necessary changes. Yet here we are and there are a lot of things that seem to be a consensus yet never changed or happened. I'm just wondering why, aside from 343 just not listening.

I wasn't around this forum very much during Halo 5's development..how much of all this was said when change could feasibly happen in the game? They said they offered us the beta so early because then they could respond to feedback and make necessary changes. Yet here we are and there are a lot of things that seem to be a consensus yet never changed or happened. I'm just wondering why, aside from 343 just not listening.

lots of the stuff (especially auto-precision balance, SA's) has been discussed a lot after the beta, 343 just choose to stick to their version, the problem is not every community is as critical and "analytical" as TB, some people just like whatever is new and some really like this new Halo...

The reason they gave us was "it doesnt fit with the immersion of the halo universe" for sprint, and presumably spartan sounds.

Radar/autos start is their way of trying to draw in the casual crowd and "appeal to all sectors" of the halo community and unite us under one setting.

As for hitmarkers on grenades? no clue

• Upvote (+1) 1

Interesting side note I forgot to post until now: during EU regionals Bravo told one of the visitors that he was not aware that so many people are upset with the current new weapon balance but he also admitted that he preferred the Beta magnum and would like to see how a 4sk would play!

As for hitmarkers on grenades? no clue

Lots of salt in this thread that isnt worth my precious time replying to, but this is so true.  

Why in the fuck are there hit markers on grenades? it makes no sense.

• Rework the weapon sandbox entirely. Buff the pistol to a 4SK, nerf autos, and reduce bullet magnetism on all weapons(especially the sniper). I would also like to see the weapon sandbox be more diversified because there are too many weapons that share the same roles. To prevent the weapon sandbox from being cluttered with redundant weapons I would like to see weapons have their own unique traits such as quick camo, plasma stun like Halo 1's PR has or a EMP effect that prevents players from using the spartan abilities for a few seconds, and different melee speeds and ranges.
  • Remove radar(motion tracker) from team arena(HCS).
  • Put power-ups on 60-90 second static timers for consistency and clarity.
  • Remove all the spartan abilities and the stabilizer from team arena(HCS).
  • Remove all of the developer maps(because they're mediocre for competitive play) from team arena(HCS) and replace them with good quality forge maps that complement the competitive settings.
  • Make sure that the power-ups and weapons placement on the forge maps are ideal for competitive play.
  • Make sure that all the power items on the forge maps are on frequent static timers so it encourages player movement and discourages player stagnation.
  • Put the respawn time for team slayer back to 5 seconds and put objective repsawn up to 10 seconds.
  • Remove grenade hit-markers.
  • Make it where the weapons pads don't give away your position when picking up an item from it and make it where you can adjust how much ammo a weapon on a weapon pad has with using forge.
  • Make it where you can carry up to four frag grenades and four plasma grenades. Only suggest doing this if grenade hit-markers get removed.
  • Make it where you don't de-camo when using a faster base player movement speed than intended.
  • Increase forward acceleration and strafe acceleration to compensate for the lack of spartan abilities and to make strafing more effective.

I know this is super old, but I had to bring it up because this post is just such trash. Remove all maps from matchmaking for forge maps? 4 nades? EMP effects? My god

There's no consensus, even if it seems like it in this thread. This thread is especially for people who are displeased with the current settings. This is just one side of the argument

• Upvote (+1) 1

I disagree with keeping it 5sk with the RoF increased.

A too fast RoF makes players spam shots, combined with the current magnetism it gives too many free "unaimed" shots.

We will end with easier perfects (mid-to-long ranges) and too many kills without need of a headshot.

I think the better option is 4sk with RoF reduced a little bit for a perfect kill of ~1.10s (this is a guesstimate, kill time should be tested to find a good balance with the rifles, but must be faster than current 5sk). This will keep automatics at bay and make for much more interesting pistol vs pistol (or rifle) fights.

What do you think?

Totally agree with your post and have made similar posts a while ago, 5sk with RoF buff would be too spammy as we saw from the beta and 4sk with the current RoF would be waaay too easy (probably why they settled on the current version) but 4sk with a slightly slower RoF would be perfect imo, punishes players for missing shots but rewards players with a fast kill time when hitting those 4 perfect shots and is also capable of getting a triple kill per magazine.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know this is super old, but I had to bring it up because this post is just such trash. Remove all maps from matchmaking for forge maps? 4 nades? EMP effects? My god

Can you please elaborate further on why you think my post is "trash"? I find your post to be pretty vague. In my humble opinion I thought my post had some pretty solid points granted I could of went in more depth with it so my points would of been more clear. Unless than you have no valid reasons for calling my post "trash" and said that just because you wanted to pick a fight with me, if that is the case then you can fuck off!

Here let me explain some my points in further detail so it's more clear for you to understand. The main two reasons why I said I want to remove the developer maps and replace them with better forge maps are because(Note, only want to do this for the team arena playlist /HCS settings) :

• I want maps that can be played well without having to use the spartan abilities because I'm also advocating to remove all of the spartan abilities from team arena(HCS).
  • I honestly think that forgers such as MultiLockOn and a Chunk can make much better maps that are suited for competitive play than 343 can. I really don't want to see 343's mediocre maps being used in competitive play when we have access to much better forge maps. I would hate to see all of the good community's forge maps be neglected and the games potential be wasted as a result.

The reason why I'm advocating to be able to hold up to 4 frags and 4 plasma grenades is because I want players to be able to be more lethal on their own. I like being empowered as an individual player to be able to get kills on my own, I hate being forced to rely on team-shooting to be able to finish off kills. Like I said in my other post I'm only advocating to be able to hold up 4 frags and 4 plasma grenades if the grenade hit-markers get removed. To help balance out the grenades I suggest either reducing the grenade's damage or explosion radius. If that isn't enough to balance them out then you can reduce the amount of frag and plasma grenades that there are on maps. I want players to start out with 2 frags and zero plasma grenades but be able to carry up to four of each.

About the plasma stun/EMP effect. The reason why I'm advocating for them is to give weapons unique traits so they have a purpose in the weapon sandbox. I want the weapons to differentiate themselves from one another because right now the sandbox is cluttered with too many redundant weapons that serve no purpose. For an example if 343 nerfed the storm rifle and it did less damage to health then they could give a stun effect to it like Halo 1's plasma rifle has where it slows players down. Either that or give it the EMP effect that I suggested in my last post, where it disables a players spartan abilities for a few seconds if they get shot with it. Or they could just add Halo 1's plasma rifle to Halo 5 and call it a day. This is really just a pipe dream of mine though because I know it's not realistic. There's other things that are much higher up on my priority list than this, things such as removing radar(motion tracker) from the team arena playlist and buffing the pistol to a 4SK.

• Upvote (+1) 4

What do you guys think of the splinter "I just totally got fucked up in a 1vs1 so I'll throw a nade that I happened to walk by and trade kills" nades?