CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

1. Pistol

1. Many people are begging for the Pistol to become a 4-shot. I disagree. I'd just like the RoF to be slightly increased to better reward players with steady aim fighting in close quarters vs automatics (over those who carefully pace their shots at longer ranges). The Pistol feels like a skillful weapon to use, and still dominates the top level...but can't reliably fight automatics in close quarters.

2. I'd like to see the Pistol's reload speed slightly increased as well, to help a Pistol-wielder get back into combat faster. (Sidearms should be able to be reloaded quickly.)

I disagree with keeping it 5sk with the RoF increased.

A too fast RoF makes players spam shots, combined with the current magnetism it gives too many free "unaimed" shots.

We will end with easier perfects (mid-to-long ranges) and too many kills without need of a headshot.

I think the better option is 4sk with RoF reduced a little bit for a perfect kill of ~1.10s (this is a guesstimate, kill time should be tested to find a good balance with the rifles, but must be faster than current 5sk). This will keep automatics at bay and make for much more interesting pistol vs pistol (or rifle) fights.

What do you think?

What's the consensus on Torque? Is it good or is it just the same as the last two?

Much better than the last two maps, but weapons layout needs tweaking. This map could be better with a sniper in each side, instead of hammers.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What's the consensus on Torque? Is it good or is it just the same as the last two?

I'm not a fan. I should probably play it a few more times, but I just couldn't get into it.

Sightlines felt bad. Everything was just a thrust away to get out of sight because there is so much junk around the map. Which is weird because it feels like a big map, every area has some space to it, but it feels useless.

Gun placement was decent? H2 BRs are in a weird spot, Rockets feel like a decent choice for power weapon. Though I think plasma caster would do great on this map shooting around corners. Gravity hammers usually got shut down whenever someone picked them up so after awhile no picked them up. I have no idea why anyone would pick up a suppressor.

• Upvote (+1) 3

4sk magnum

No radar

Limit close quarter combat weapons on map (no need for 2 smgs, 2 plasma rifles, and a shotgun/scattershot on empire for example)

Instead of limiting CQC weapons, rebalance weapons to give them unique functions that add utility when you use them (i.e. plasma rifle stun, a plasma pistol will disable thrusters for 1.5 seconds, etc)

Remove BR and DMR from arena and reserve them for warzone. No need for redundant weapons clogging up the sandbox

Reduce sniper bullet magnetism

ADD EXTRACTION, KOTH, and ODDBALL idk why 343 threw extraction out of the picture. It was "their" gametype from Halo 4 and imo was the only thing about Halo 4 that felt competitive since they fucked up oddball and CTF. - more game modes = longer life span for the game with more replay value

Add spread to the AR increasing by the length of time being shot. For example first .5 seconds there is no spread, after that start adding in spread to account for the ease of spamming it. Or just remove it since the SMG makes it a fairly redundant weapon. Halo 5 has a great place to have all their weapons for use: Warzone. Not every weapon needs to also be in arena.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why would anyone want a 4SK Magnum with a lowered ROF? The change in TTK will either hardly be noticeable or not change at all. It would be almost pointless.

What competitive Halo needs is a very strong starting weapon to make every player highly capable on their own that is balanced by a very high degree of difficulty to create more individualized, fast-paced, dynamic and SMART gameplay (not to mention the skill-gap in the gunplay alone would see a very substantial increase), otherwise the meta will be restricted to only team-shooting like every Halo since 2. Such a weapon would dramatically raise the game's skill ceiling as opposed to a utility weapon of more intermediate difficulty with a long TTK. That is literally a fact.

4SK Magnum with drastically lowered aim assists or bust.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Does anyone else not like how it's almost useless to juggle the ball in assault? A strategy I see a lot of people using is hiding with the ball for like a minute and then trying to to sneak into the enemy base and plant before they can react. The gametype plays really slow because of how slow moving the ball is. I think if juggling the ball moved it considerably faster it would speed up the gameplay a lot. Thoughts?

There's just too much everything on all the maps. Too many weapons, way too many grenade, etc. The maps need to be cleared up considerably. Even the actual maps are completely cluttered.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why would anyone want a 4SK Magnum with a lowered ROF? The change in TTK will either hardly be noticeable or not change at all. It would be almost pointless.

What competitive Halo needs is a very strong starting weapon to make every player highly capable on their own that is balanced by a very high degree of difficulty to create more individualized, fast-paced, dynamic and SMART gameplay (not to mention the skill-gap in the gunplay alone would see a very substantial increase), otherwise the meta will be restricted to only team-shooting like every Halo since 2. Such a weapon would dramatically raise the game's skill ceiling as opposed to a utility weapon of more intermediate difficulty with a long TTK. That is literally a fact.

It's the main demand because it's a realistic demand. While obviously in a perfect world a utility weapon with a very fast perfect time to kill that is difficult to use would be ideal that's quite a big request that has a pretry much 0% chance of happening. Slightly lowering the ttk of the pistol we already have is more likely to actually happen.

MM

- Party-sized based MM, only loosens these parameters when matches cannot be found.

- Riptide and Overgrowth removed from Team Arena (IMO Strongholds on Overgrowth is actually playable now, so could be a compromise) They can remain in Slayer, SWAT, etc.

- Moving forward, all and ONLY HWC/Pro League gametype/map combos in Team Arena.

- No hidden MMR matching in social (beating the dead horse but that horse needs to become pulp... fiction?)

- Permanent Doubles playlist with special tweaks (see lower section)

- Grifball playlist removed after a few weeks, replaced with community Forge playlist (with Action-Sack/Minigames)

- Placement matches can only place you in gold max, OR allow players to drop after MMR decreases past a given threshold.

- Post game carnage returned to former glory, with  LoL style charts/graphs, etc. to show flow of matches.

Gameplay

- Radar removed from Team Arena and Team Doubles, can stay in Slayer if a compromise must be made.

- AR given a nerf (to damage or autoaim/magnetism - the latter promoting more skill) should remain viable.

- Magnum kept 5 shots to kill, BUT increase fire rate. I believe having to land 5 shots provides more variables/shooting skill, but increased fire rate would solve TTK issue.

- Magnetism reduced slightly for BR, DMR, Carbine and, most importantly - the Sniper. Bullet "curving" on Sniper completely removed while retaining adhesion (same as previous Halo's)

Team Doubles Specifics

- Reduce ammo in power weapons by half (as every other Halo did),

- Add power-ups to maps that lack them (to promote movement/reduce camping) Only use maps that work well with Doubles (No Rig, Overgrowth, or Riptide)

- Ranked (obviously)

Those are all fair and logical. You could nitpick the game further, I believe these are both the easiest and most important changes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

MM

- Party-sized based MM, only loosens these parameters when matches cannot be found.

- Riptide and Overgrowth removed from Team Arena (IMO Strongholds on Overgrowth is actually playable now, so could be a compromise) They can remain in Slayer, SWAT, etc.

- Moving forward, all and ONLY HWC/Pro League gametype/map combos in Team Arena.

- No hidden MMR matching in social (beating the dead horse but that horse needs to become pulp... fiction?)

- Grifball playlist removed after a few weeks, replaced with community Forge playlist (with Action-Sack/Minigames)

- Placement matches can only place you in gold max, OR allow players to drop after MMR decreases past a given threshold.

- Post game carnage returned to former glory, with LoL style charts/graphs, etc. to show flow of matches.

Gameplay

- Radar removed from Team Arena and Team Doubles, can stay in Slayer if a compromise must be made.

- AR given a nerf (to damage or autoaim/magnetism - the latter promoting more skill) should remain viable.

- Magnum kept 5 shots to kill, BUT increase fire rate. I believe having to land 5 shots provides more variables/shooting skill, but increased fire rate would solve TTK issue.

- Magnetism reduced slightly for BR, DMR, Carbine and, most importantly - the Sniper. Bullet "curving" on Sniper completely removed while retaining adhesion (same as previous Halo's)

Team Doubles Specifics

- Add power-ups to maps that lack them (to promote movement/reduce camping) Only use maps that work well with Doubles (No Rig, Overgrowth, or Riptide)

- Ranked (obviously)

Those are all fair and logical. You could nitpick the game further, I believe these are both the easiest and most important changes.

I think a 5sk pistol with a faster ROF would just feel weird.

Riptide and Overgrowth need to be removed from the playlist ASAP. Everytime either map comes up in Team Arena, the pre-game lobby needs to rotate through 3-6 different players until it finds a combination of 8 people who won't dashboard immediately after seeing one of those come up.

remove radar

Remove sniper from Eden. It's too easy to use and lock down a large portion of the map with.

remove radar

Remove sniper from Rig for the same reason. Not sure why the sniper was even put on this map.

remove radar

Remove either the shotgun, or both of the storm rifles from Empire. Gun skill in Halo has never mattered less than this gametype.

So remove all the stuff that literally encourages map movement?

Yeah but those are two very different modes. I actually would like to see a Camo in Slayer but because of its slower pace it allows more breathing room to break the Cinema/Nest setup, whereas Strongholds is constant action. Something along these lines:

Slayer – Sniper Top Nest, OS Top Mid, Hydra in Yard, Camo in the Elevator-Nook in Yard

Strongholds – Shotgun next to Lift, Railgun/Rockets/OS Top Mid, Camo in Yard Elevator

Literally all your Strongholds changes would do IMO is flip the map so that yard side is OP (which would be worse since nest side is what makes plaza so fun (hint: its the only section of the map that has sight lines) with all the sight lines, Yard being the "poorly made" section of the map. Yard would be much easier to cut off than nest currently is. You'd essentially be putting  giant wall between the two strongholds that you want to hold, which IMO is the issue with many other maps.

I think the easiest solution is to have the Tram side team just spawn closer up into bottom Posters/Stairs instead of all the way back in Tram. Tram side would have an advantage getting Rail and Blue side would have an easier time getting Camo, but not quite as easy as now (Tram team can get to the lift in around the same time with my suggestion)

I think Rig is the biggest issue as far as balance. They need to remove the sniper and that map will play 100 times better. Bunker still gets easier camo, a BR and an SMG (plus better sightlines - similar to Plaza)

So remove all the stuff that literally encourages map movement?

The fact that you think any of the mentioned items "encourages map movement" is funny.

What competitive Halo needs is a very strong starting weapon to make every player highly capable on their own that is balanced by a very high degree of difficulty to create more individualized, fast-paced, dynamic and SMART gameplay (not to mention the skill-gap in the gunplay alone would see a very substantial increase), otherwise the meta will be restricted to only team-shooting like every Halo since 2. Such a weapon would dramatically raise the game's skill ceiling as opposed to a utility weapon of more intermediate difficulty with a long TTK. That is literally a fact.

I would like a magnum with lowered  aim assit too. But  this should be done to all precision weapons, if not then we still with the same problem.

4sk gives more kills per clip making good players much more powerful (able to do 3 perfect kill with the current 12 rounds/clip). Most people wanting a 5sk with faster RoF are ignoring this problem.

I think a 5sk pistol with a faster ROF would just feel weird.

Wasn't the beta Pistol literally just this?

The fact that you think any of the mentioned items "encourages map movement" is funny.

Yeah, the Storm Rifles and shottys don't really encourage much map movement, you just pick them up if you happen to walk past them for the most part.The Sniper is meant to encourage map movement in theory, but the Halo 5 Sniper spawns infrequently and is very easy to use. After one team gets it it can be a bit too easy to hold on to it until the next one comes up (which needs to be more often to encourage more map movement). In order for the Sniper (and other power items) to spawn more frequently and encourage more map movement, we need a starting weapon that can actually counter it effectively (for example, a Magnum with increased red reticle range and firepower) and for the Sniper itself to be made more difficult to use.

I would like a magnum with lowered  aim assit too. But  this should be done to all precision weapons, if not then we still with the same problem.

4sk gives more kills per clip making good players much more powerful (able to do 3 perfect kill with the current 12 rounds/clip). Most people wanting a 5sk with faster RoF are ignoring this problem.

Yes, a 4SK Magnum with a slower ROF would help with the issue of kills per magazine, but if it takes over a second (longer than human reaction time) to kill people then we will still be left with an undesirable amount of team-shooting dominating the meta.

@The Bolded, I'm not quite sure what you mean. If we buff the Magnum's damage (and RRR) and lower the aim assist on it, it will have more killing potential than the rifles in exchange for being much more difficult to use, and the rifles will still be picked up for the ease of use by many players. At high levels the rifles would probably be largely ignored, but since they don't serve a justifiable purpose anyway it doesn't really matter. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Upvote (+1) 1

MM

- Riptide and Overgrowth removed from Team Arena (IMO Strongholds on Overgrowth is actually playable now, so could be a compromise) They can remain in Slayer, SWAT, etc.

- Post game carnage returned to former glory, with  LoL style charts/graphs, etc. to show flow of matches.

Gameplay

Team Doubles Specifics

- Ranked (obviously)

I agree with everything is this except for:

• I think radar works in Halo 5. Sue me. It does need tweaks though, i'd love to test out the idea of it only showing up when sprinting etc. The game simply moves too fast not to have it on.
  • Storm rifle needs changing in a big way. Reduce the damage, RoF or something like that. Dying in .3 seconds from a croucher shooting that thing and beating me down is not fun. Basically nerf EVERY auto.
  • Carbine's RoF needs to be drastically reduced. I can't be the only one who thinks it MELTS ridiculously fast?
  •  4sk magnum with lowered aim assist, have to agree with other people here.

I cannot stress enough how important your first bolded point is. This game NEEEEEEDS party restrictions. I preached about it in MCC and multiple times in h5 too. One of my single biggest issues with the game. I'm plat and last night I got matched with a diamond and 3 onyxs in a party, while my team had golds. What The Fuck.

I find this kind of pointless since 343 will never EVER change things like damage on weapons and shit like that. Now no radar? Sure, but 4sk pistol? Good luck talking them into that

Wasn't the beta Pistol literally just this?

Kind of. I personally really disliked the feel of the beta pistol though.

Kind of. I personally really disliked the feel of the beta pistol though.

I mean it felt like shit because of that God awful flinch bug that was present.

Or did you mean something else?

I mean it felt like shit because of that God awful flinch bug that was present.

Or did you mean something else?

Was the flinch just visual or actual flinch?

I quit the beta week 3 because of that shit. Missed out in the good ass Strongholds gametype :P

Was the flinch just visual or actual flinch?

I quit the beta week 3 because of that shit. Missed out in the good ass Strongholds gametype :P

I want to say visual but it was super distracting. There's probably some game play out there that shows it compared to now.

It was pretty much impossible to get a 5SK kill if someone else had shot you.