CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Someone in the Pro League thread mentioned Oddball and it got me thinking. Has Oddball been tested or really brought up at all? I know it's way too late now...but it was a staple gametype for so long, and now even though it's possible we've completely ignored it for Pro League.

I'm super curious about it now.

I like Oddball as much as the next guy, but the way it's set up in 5 means that it uses Assault's sided spawns. You practically have to make maps specifically for Oddball.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I like Oddball as much as the next guy, but the way it's set up in 5 means that it uses Assault's sided spawns. You practically have to make maps specifically for Oddball.

Yeah, especially on symmetrical maps like Truth you'd need either another variant with new spawns or a set of spawns and spawn zones that were labelled to only appear in ball games while every other spawn object would be labelled to be excluded in these games.

It'd be a real pain in the ass to set up.

Here's what Max Grossman had to say about their logic behind designing assault this way:

what's baffling to me is that they went from a gametype that ended too quickly, to a gametype that never ends. With the current mechanics, the onus really needs to be on the defending team to regain control over their base, and then disarm the ball, rather than a single desperate touch restarting the whole process.

No idea how this makes it out of testing.

What the hell.

Battle Rifles replaced DMRs at Blue/Red Ledge

Regret is a smaller scale map where the Battle Rifle just feels better to play on than the DMRs did. Plus, who doesn't love more BRs?

wow... amazing philosophy there... /facepalm...

• Downvote (-1) 2

Saw made its way into Pro League

Fuel Rod stayed on Truth

Did they not listen to the constant complaints about this? Those maps just became so unappealing to me to watch. Especially Empire SH with a fucking SAW. You can mow people down cross map with that damn thing.

"Everyone loves the SPNKr,"

No, no one loves the SPNKr. We want the regular rocket launcher. 

"Everyone loves the SPNKr,"

No, no one loves the SPNKr. We want the regular rocket launcher.

Said no one ever.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Said no one ever.

Except the SPNKr in Halo 5 is ass.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like the BR/Plasma Caster on Regret. And the changes to Coli are good two. So the best to maps got even better in my opinion.

I get it.

An Arena Refresh is an amazing idea. It keeps the game exciting, new and fresh. Brilliant idea. Except, you asked for all this feedback and didn't listen to some of the biggest complaints with some of these maps.

SAW in competitive, especially on Empire SH will be laughed at, and universally hated. Fuel Rod on Truth was a very bad addition, also very clear by the community and pros.

The problem is with this Arena refresh, is that while some of these changes make Arena feel new and different, it made some of the maps ultimately worse... Don't get me wrong, some changes are great and were needed badly, but some were very clearly bad changes indicated by the testing period. 

Yet were still made anyways and now we have some far worse off gametypes.

Sigh. 

I don't know, guys. SAW isn't great but the limited clip makes it bearable. I've never seen someone get more than two, maybe three kills with it. Compared to something like the scatter shot or rail it doesn't seem as bad. I understand that autos are stigmatized as anti-competitive, but I feel the backlash towards it is a little overblown.

Fuel on truth is garbage though. Has sword on top mid been tested? I think that would be better. Then maybe switch Hydra to car 2, and have plasma pistol bottom mid. Just spitballing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't know, guys. SAW isn't great but the limited clip makes it bearable. I've never seen someone get more than two, maybe three kills with it. Compared to something like the scatter shot or rail it doesn't seem as bad. I understand that autos are stigmatized as anti-competitive, but I feel the backlash towards it is a little overblown.

Fuel on truth is garbage though. Has sword on top mid been tested? I think that would be better. Then maybe switch Hydra to car 2, and have plasma pistol bottom mid. Just spitballing.

Yes only one clip in the Saw isn't THAT bad. 

I like the reduction of autos on the maps.  Im not a big fan of the saw but Im not too upset either.  I mean its a power weapon that you have to fight for and generally all power weapons are easy to get kills with.  You can get like 5 kills with the 1 full magazine they give you for the saw?  Maybe 6?  

We have Sprint, Radar, Ar, Smg, and 1 clip SAW is where we draw the line?

Why not keep it consistent and say something like "positional advantage " or "the rockets are strong and easy to use"

• Upvote (+1) 3

We have Sprint, Radar, Ar, Smg, and 1 clip SAW is where we draw the line?

Why not keep it consistent and say something like "positional advantage " or "the rockets are strong and easy to use"

Am I the only one who doesn't like where OS is on Plaza now? I liked it best in Flowers honestly. People having to jump and clamber for it now is stupid.

Am I the only one who doesn't like where OS is on Plaza now? I liked it best in Flowers honestly. People having to jump and clamber for it now is stupid.

Ya especially given that they removed YY and I hear they're planning on removing the melee pick up as well.

It will get burned pretty much every time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's going to be stupid if they get rid of Melee pick up. What's the point of an OS if it has no instant use. At least in H3 if you burnt the custom you still had 3 seconds of invulnerability.