CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Assault is fine on either Truth or Tyrant, but when the settings are finalized I hope it's only on one of those 2 and weighted much less in the playlist. I'm getting pretty sick of it popping up so much right now. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Assault is fine on either Truth or Tyrant, but when the settings are finalized I hope it's only on one of those 2 and weighted much less in the playlist. I'm getting pretty sick of it popping up so much right now.

It WOULD be fine on just about any symmetrical map with anything other than instant resets.

Can anyone tell me how resets were handled in H2A and H3?

Testing in a studio with 4 pros playing against none pros isn't really an idle test environment.

They have other competent players in the studio. Pro Team isn't the only people with thumbs at 343. They make sure to have 8 skilled players when they playtest and balance the game.

They have other competent players in the studio. Pro Team isn't the only people with thumbs at 343. They make sure to have 8 skilled players when they playtest and balance the game.

Oh I hadn't realized the game was balanced yet. Better maybe, but not balanced.

You can guarantee they have two captains and pick teams so that the teams are as even as possible. It's still impossible to get the data needed to truly balance the game without more large-scale testing (which is why I'm fine with the trend of balance patches instead of insisting they get it 100% right at launch).

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm sure they have people in the studio that are higher rankings than the pro team.

here's lookin at you, Goldayame.  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

That wasn't it literally said "We aren't removing radar anytime soon" and the debate ended.

Well I searched radar on his twitter and there were only 4 tweets, what words were in the tweet unless you chatting the chocolate my brotha?

Well I searched radar on his twitter and there were only 4 tweets, what words were in the tweet unless you chatting the chocolate my brotha?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure tj said Stasis slayer won't be in HCS gametypes and CTF will. Which I agree with. I feel like Stasis fixed most of Torque's issues.

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure tj said Stasis slayer won't be in HCS gametypes and CTF will. Which I agree with. I feel like Stasis fixed most of Torque's issues.

That's what he said. Stasis is definitely an improvement over Torque IMO, but I've never been a huge fan of asymetrical CTF in Halo. I'm not opposed to it, just cautious.

So, is there a new timeline on when Team Arena gametypes will be locked?

Was supposed to be yesterday.

So, is there a new timeline on when Team Arena gametypes will be locked?

Sometime this week.

Hopefully the community update will clear it up.

Someone in the Pro League thread mentioned Oddball and it got me thinking. Has Oddball been tested or really brought up at all? I know it's way too late now...but it was a staple gametype for so long, and now even though it's possible we've completely ignored it for Pro League.

I'm super curious about it now.

Let's talk about Assault. My main grief with the gametype is that so much of the flow revolves around defensive players spawning and making desperate plays to stop the bomb plant, over and over. I went back and re-watched some Halo 2 Midship Bomb for comparison, and the games has an entirely different flow, with a focus on map control and keeping the ball out of the base in the first place. 

Currently, a successful plant requires outslaying the defending team through multiple spawn waves. I had a game yesterday that ended 1-0, and according to halo5arena, we outslayed the opponents 17-3 during the 90-second interval where we scored. We did not score during two 14-8 intervals. 

Admittedly, part of this is due to solo queuing, but I think perhaps the biggest culprit is the 8-second respawn timer. In Halo 2, respawning took a full 10 seconds in objective gametypes, and the kills felt more impactful. A few kills were more likely to lead to a plant, because the opponent wouldn't spawn so quickly and disrupt the plant. So many Halo 5 plant attempts are suuuper close, but ultimately get disrupted by the recently spawned defenders. 

I think there are other tweaks that could be tested (rate at which the bomb resets, arming time, bomb arming going down when you jump / leave the arming area with the bomb), but mostly I want to see a change that makes Assault into less of a grind. It's not that fun to play, and less interesting to watch than alternatives at the pro level. 

I would also like to see Oddball tested, but if Halo 5 has shown anything, these gametypes may be tricky to implement well in the new engine. Assault feels "off", and I would hope that if/when they implement Oddball, that they get it right. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Here's what Max Grossman had to say about their logic behind designing assault this way:

While buffing the ball carrier, we found that games were ending extremely quickly, rarely lasting more than a few minutes. We turned a bunch of different knobs to try to find a better balance between our newly empowered ball carrier and the Spartans trying to kill them. We experimented with different arm times, forcing the carrier to stay in one place for longer; we modified the spawn zones so dead players could more quickly react to the ball being armed; we changed the size of the deliver zone so that players could more easily deny the zone with grenades; and we changed how the ball disarms so that when an actively arming ball is picked up by the other team, arming progress instantly resets. Constant playtests and working with the Pro Team helped us find settings that created a fun and competitive mode.

what's baffling to me is that they went from a gametype that ended too quickly, to a gametype that never ends. With the current mechanics, the onus really needs to be on the defending team to regain control over their base, and then disarm the ball, rather than a single desperate touch restarting the whole process.

No idea how this makes it out of testing.

Here's what Max Grossman had to say about their logic behind designing assault this way:

what's baffling to me is that they went from a gametype that ended too quickly, to a gametype that never ends. With the current mechanics, the onus really needs to be on the defending team to regain control over their base, and then disarm the ball, rather than a single desperate touch restarting the whole process.

No idea how this makes it out of testing.

Because it's at 343's sweet spot. They want it this way.

Because it's at 343's sweet spot. They want it this way.

sounds like their sweetspot is a fun competitive gamemode and THOUGHT they achieved it. But its clear they didn't. I wonder if the results they were getting in testing are anything like what we typically see in MM