CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Posted this in the HCS thread but it's more appropriate here:

Honestly, the HCS gametype rotation and map weapon layouts just happen to be pretty good. There are not many major flaws (I'm looking at you, Empire Strongholds). It hasn't been this good since Halo 3. That's why most of the more major changes are reverting back.

Typically, in this situation, change for the sake of freshness comes in the form of new maps/gametypes. Unfortunately all but one of the maps (Stasis, which is pretty good) that we've received in DLC have been at best bad and at worst plain garbage. Plus, 343 seems unwilling to put a forge map into the HCS rotation, so we're limited to only a couple new options. Not to mention the horrible iteration of Assault that we've received.

Ideally we could find a way to add a few gametypes and remove 1 or 2 of the worst ones, while keeping the power weapon and stronghold layouts of our strongest maps the same. That's how I feel change is best enacted- not switching power weapon locations for no reason other than "freshness".

I agree with mostly everything. And this update has done a pretty fantastic job at refining the minor issues with old H5 Arena settings:

• Fathom Railgun/Camo Swap
  • Coliseum BR Removal
  • Truth BR Removal
  • Regret Fuel Removal
  • Rig Stronghold Movement
  • Storm Rifle/BR Reduction

But then when we throw something at the pros like an inverted Coliseum or an OS in Plaza Yard, it just gets completely reverted. For maps/gametypes with extremely linear metagame (Spawn Snipe from Cave, control Cinema/Posters/Hotel), I think the pros should at least approach the changes to that meta with an open mind

I'd hate to be 343i. They really are between a rock and a hard place with everything they do.

Having this testing period with new setting was a very progressive thing to do. Can't think of many devs would would aim to receive this kind of feedback so, hats off.

I think some of the changes they attempted would have lead to some interesting meta shifts if given the opportunity. Unfortunately it seems like the pros are reluctant to accept change, or even evaluate it without bias. I wonder how they weighted casual/pro/viewer feedback.

Also, tyrant and stasis are good maps. They need to be in rotation. Assualt needs to be tweaked in favor of offense, and thrown into rotation as well.

Regardless of what happens on May 23rd, it will be good. A lot has changed already for the better. We may not get radical changes in metagame but even the minor changes have been good.

Regardless of what happens on May 23rd, it will be good. A lot has changed already for the better. We may not get radical changes in metagame but even the minor changes have been good.

True, I truly believe we started with gametypes that were already pretty good. So the minor tweaks will suffice.

I just hope they don't miss a chance to make things fresh for viewers and more casual players, even if it would make pros uncomfortable for a bit

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think if Assault can work on any map, then it's on Tyrant. The gametype itself still needs some ironing out, though.

I personally prefer Tyrant CTF over Assault (maybe if they change the size of the arm zone for Assault), and I'm a big fan of Assault on Truth.

V3 Coliseum is good, but I wish the main power weapons had stayed Sniper at Yellow and Rockets at green. The BR at grass is a good idea, it really eliminates the problem of the Magnum being underpowered as serves as good bait. I think a general rule for this game would be to put weapons where they won't be immediately effective. They could have placed the lone BR at top cat, but then you're in a position to lay down heavy damage on pickup. Railgun being bottom mid on Fathom is another good example of this.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is this thread appropriate to talk about the scattershot needing a huge buff in accuracy up close? That gun was miles behind the railgun/hydra/plasma caster yet they all got buffed. If there is an inconsistent gun in this game it's 100% the scattershot. I think a good way to balance the scatter shot would be to make it 5 total bullets with stronger damage. It spawns in 10 seconds anyways so it's not like it would be too bad of a thing having a small clip.

Is this thread appropriate to talk about the scattershot needing a huge buff in accuracy up close? That gun was miles behind the railgun/hydra/plasma caster yet they all got buffed. If there is an inconsistent gun in this game it's 100% the scattershot. I think a good way to balance the scatter shot would be to make it 5 total bullets with stronger damage. It spawns in 10 seconds anyways so it's not like it would be too bad of a thing having a small clip.

What's inconsistent about it? It has the same spread/pellet pattern and range drop off every time you fire it.

What's inconsistent about it? It has the same spread/pellet pattern and range drop off every time you fire it.

I've gotten hitmarkers on one shot players with it and they live

I've gotten hitmarkers on one shot players with it and they live

Range drop-off probably. Use Smart Scope to minimize the spread, I'm not sure if it helps your damage though. The gun is 100% consistent though

Range drop-off probably. Use Smart Scope to minimize the spread, I'm not sure if it helps your damage though. The gun is 100% consistent though

Better term might be unpredictable, which makes sense considering it's not hitscan. Variable network conditions and all that.

I get really sick of the negativity some users bring to these threads and discussions. What miserable people you have to be to desire to go online and make snide remarks about games others are trying to constructively discuss.

Nevertheless, yea, @@Infinity , I'm feeling pretty positive about the changes after finally getting some extensive time with them. I hope 343 keeps this narrative going and revisits map changes after the end of a competitive season or league play. This would keep the meta evolving and there isn't much reason not to keep the dialogue open with pros and the larger community.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I get really sick of the negativity some users bring to these threads and discussions. What miserable people you have to be to desire to go online and make snide remarks about games others are trying to constructively discuss.

Nevertheless, yea, @@Infinity , I'm feeling pretty positive about the changes after finally getting some extensive time with them. I hope 343 keeps this narrative going and revisits map changes after the end of a competitive season or league play. This would keep the meta evolving and there isn't much reason not to keep the dialogue open with pros and the larger community.

We're pretty relaxed and allow people to vent in other threads but I do my best to hide any non constructive stuff in this thread. Try to make it as clean to view as possible for 343 lurkers.

And yeah, I'm looking forward to the game constantly evolving over numerous seasons.

Its no secret I despise the fact we have 4 basic precision weapons.

These changes have made this game more bearable. Before the pistol was always traded out but with the removal of these excess (and frankly, unnecessary in the sandbox) weapons, I can enjoy having an actual pistol fight for once. So hey, there's that.

Well I was in the opponents face while they were one shot and I shot them basically point blank, got hit-markers, and they didn't die from it. Soooooooo idk... and then there are those times where it ones shots a guy basically 7 times the distance I was from the up-close dude,and it will one hit them when they are full shields. Like that literally is the definition of inconsistent. Probably server based. Something needs to change, either better servers or buff the gun.

Well I was in the opponents face while they were one shot and I shot them basically point blank, got hit-markers, and they didn't die from it. Soooooooo idk... and then there are those times where it ones shots a guy basically 7 times the distance I was from the up-close dude,and it will one hit them when they are full shields. Like that literally is the definition of inconsistent. Probably server based. Something needs to change, either better servers or buff the gun.

Can't really say anything without a clip to look at

I'm going to be really disappointed if Tyrant flag gets cut. That gametype has played super well in the games I've played. 

I'm going to be really disappointed if Tyrant flag gets cut. That gametype has played super well in the games I've played. 

The map isn't anything to write home about but Tyrant flag is very unique and I enjoy it. I understand if the pros want it removed but I'd love the variety.

Fun Fact: Storm Rifle on Regret is now Tier 2, still Tier 1 on other maps

That is a fun fact. How'd does one come across this type of info? Does 343 publish these things anywhere?

That is a fun fact. How'd does one come across this type of info? Does 343 publish these things anywhere?

Nope, this was a stealthy change. I just noticed it when playing the map in customs.

All the other maps are still Tier 1 Storm Rifles, so I'm wondering if Regret is just a mistake or if all the other maps will become Tier 2 as well.

Nope, this was a stealthy change. I just noticed it when playing the map in customs.

All the other maps are still Tier 1 Storm Rifles, so I'm wondering if Regret is just a mistake or if all the other maps will become Tier 2 as well.

Hope not, it's a decent compromise.