CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Reducing bullet magnetism and clip size maybe, I don't know the weapon in in a weird place balance wise, since it has litle no counterplay.

If it had a static charge time, people could dodge it with thruster... That would maybe need to be accompanied with a magnetism reduction.

I'm still super interested in observing how the removal of Tier 1 timers (everything is Tier 2 or Weapon Pad) would play. It would open up so much more room for defined player roles and the capability for neutral Tier 1 weapons.

Positives:

• Cuts down duplicate weapon clutter
  • Enforces weapon roles (only 1 DMR/LR anchor per team, choice to use SMG defensively or offensively)
  • Allows for cleaner placement of neutral weapons (only one person can wield BR P2, rather than 2-3 players picking up a BR and running off to snowball spawners)
  • Removes the ability to nonchalantly 'upgrade' your AR/Magnum to BR/SMG without any cost to your team's map control or weapon per-player composition
  • Gets rid of the gimmick (that drives me craaaaazy) of picking up a weapon when it only has 2 bullets in it because someone with the same weapon picked up the ammo by walking over it
  • Makes Observer Mode tons more interesting "and it looks like Royal 2 will be holding the DMR for Red Team, with Snipedown picking up the DMR for Blue Team" or "Looks like CLG is heavily stacking Snakebite after they were able to push out from Red 1, he's set up with a P2 BR and Red Storm Rifle moving into Blue Street."

Negatives:

• Weapons can get "lost" or moved out of their ideal position, making it difficult for a player to pick a role or use a desired weapon off spawn
  • Teams who have a lot of momentum can collect all of the weapons and horde them, making it more difficult for the losing team to break out

Solutions to each of the negatives:

• Weapons being lost in the middle of nowhere: make the despawn timer for Tier 1 weapons shorter. This will send them back to their intended location sooner.
  • Teams hording weapons: reduce ammo in each of the weapons (BR only one spare clip, for example). This forces more movement if you want to keep track of all the weapons and will allow for less snowballing. More communication, more movement, etc.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

(disclaimer: not saying the following are good ideas, but I think it's worth at least discussing)

Since the reception of the Saw and the Railgun has been generally poor (not to mention the ill-fated Binary Rifle experiment), I'm interested in brainstorming what other weapons could serve as HCS power weapons. Stasis' Recon DMR suggests that REQ variants may be fair game for weapon pickups in Arena gametypes. Potential options include:

- Halo CE Pistol (sans Speed Boost)

- Beam Rifle

- a REQ Spartan Laser like Endgame? I haven't really used it much, but in Fiesta it kind of reminded me of the Halo 3 laser, and not the forever-to-charge Halo 5 laser. 

I would imagine that the Halo 1 Pistol would be a great fit for something like Fathom, and still requires skill to use effectively. 

(disclaimer: not saying the following are good ideas, but I think it's worth at least discussing)

Since the reception of the Saw and the Railgun has been generally poor (not to mention the ill-fated Binary Rifle experiment), I'm interested in brainstorming what other weapons could serve as HCS power weapons. Stasis' Recon DMR suggests that REQ variants may be fair game for weapon pickups in Arena gametypes. Potential options include:

- Halo CE Pistol (sans Speed Boost)

- Beam Rifle

- a REQ Spartan Laser like Endgame? I haven't really used it much, but in Fiesta it kind of reminded me of the Halo 3 laser, and not the forever-to-charge Halo 5 laser. 

I would imagine that the Halo 1 Pistol would be a great fit for something like Fathom, and still requires skill to use effectively. 

The Halo CE Pistol is stupidly easy to use - easier than a SAW, Railgun and Sniper.

• Upvote (+1) 1

why the fuck does the BR and snipe have so much magnetism. I can literally put the controller to my ass and still manage a kill with it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

why the fuck does the BR and snipe have so much magnetism. I can literally put the controller to my ass and still manage a kill with it.

Oh ok. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Halo CE Pistol is stupidly easy to use - easier than a SAW, Railgun and Sniper.

Oh ok.

jlaw-okay.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has anyone ever considered a line of sight based radar?

You've got the benefits of a radar with having some awareness of what's happening behind you without having to turn around all the time (still got ninjas!). However, it removes the vast majority of negatives associated with radar such as no hindering movement/sneaky plays etc.

Has anyone ever considered a line of sight based radar?

You've got the benefits of a radar with having some awareness of what's happening behind you without having to turn around all the time (still got ninjas!). However, it removes the vast majority of negatives associated with radar such as no hindering movement/sneaky plays etc.

People who argue against radar using the flanking and sneaky play argument (alongside corner camping) still wouldn't like that. I could be at LR on Fathom and have someone turn the corner from Elbow and they wouldn't be able to get the jump on me because of radar.

If I was camping elbow and someone turned the corner, then obviously that idea fixes the camping issue. But if someone turns the corner and there isn't a wall between the two of us it's a handout for the player being flanked.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They should drastically reduce the aim assist on the railgun, at the moment it's really hard to miss. But a more likely change is removing the ability to fire before it's charged, that'd make the gun a lot worse though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

reduce ammo in each of the weapons (BR only one spare clip, for example). This forces more movement if you want to keep track of all the weapons and will allow for less snowballing. More communication, more movement, etc.

I like the idea of more frequent weapons with less ammo. Have weapons respawn immediately upon deletion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think the Assualt gametype is ready for the big leagues.

Is it supposed to make it into HCS? If so, I think they need to reconsider how bombs are reset. The current setup leads to way too many low scoring games and/or stalemates.

I think any of these 3 approaches would make the game play better immediately.

Let's look at it from the POV of red team attempting to plant the bomb in blue base

1) red teams progress will only reset if blue team gets the bomb into Red's base

2) red teams progress will only reset if blue team successfully plants the bomb in red's base

3) progress never resets

Too often, the game goes back to square one. Any of these options will keep the game moving forward.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think the Assualt gametype is ready for the big leagues.

Is it supposed to make it into HCS? If so, I think they need to reconsider how bombs are reset. The current setup leads to way too many low scoring games and/or stalemates.

I think any of these 3 approaches would make the game play better immediately.

Let's look at it from the POV of red team attempting to plant the bomb in blue base

1) red teams progress will only reset if blue team gets the bomb into Red's base

2) red teams progress will only reset if blue team successfully plants the bomb in red's base

3) progress never resets

Too often, the game goes back to square one. Any of these options will keep the game moving forward.

Alternatively, don't have picking up the ball reset 100% of the progress. Let the bomb charge "defuse" at the same rate that flags are reset. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Alternatively, don't have picking up the ball reset 100% of the progress. Let the bomb charge "defuse" at the same rate that flags are reset.

Yes, the instant 100% reset is the culprit. Your approach would also be a big improvement, I think.

I've had an immense increase of Magnum fights ever since they cut down on the excess weapons on map. People are less inquired to grab a Storm or SMG when they have to go out of their way to do it now.

I've had an immense increase of Magnum fights ever since they cut down on the excess weapons on map. People are less inquired to grab a Storm or SMG when they have to go out of their way to do it now.

This does throw a wrench in the, "THIS GAME IS INBALANCED" crowds rhetoric. There were a good chunk of us saying that weapon placement would alleviate most of the apparent balancing issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like the idea of more frequent weapons with less ammo. Have weapons respawn immediately upon deletion.

Deletion from their spawn point or deletion from play? Tier 2 would be deletion from play/the map which would make weapons more important, but less frequent. Not sure if you misworded or I misunderstood what you want.

Definitely. The Pro Scrims last night on maps like Regret, Coli, and Truth looked very, very clean. 

Guys what if we make Radar a toggle ability 30sec duration with 30 sec cooldown

This actually seems like a decent compromise between radar and no radar. Idk if 30 seconds is the right amount of time, but different times could be tested. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

This actually seems like a decent compromise between radar and no radar. Idk if 30 seconds is the right amount of time, but different times could be tested.

This would create interesting scenarios were you save your radar cooldown for specifics situations. Or maybe you waste your radar and now you are on your own until the next cooldown and the you decide if you use ir or not.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If I died, would that cooldown immediately reset?

I don't think it should reset, so you don't have an unfair advantage. But this is all hypothetical i do like the idea, 30 secs duration seem a but generous but it's a dedent compromise