CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Is it crazy of me to think that a single Sniper with 8 shots bottom mid on Fathom would be enjoyable? While the sniper is easy to use, you can somewhat fight back against it by descoping them. The Railgun is just free kills.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is it crazy of me to think that a single Sniper with 8 shots bottom mid on Fathom would be enjoyable? While the sniper is easy to use, you can somewhat fight back against it by descoping them. The Railgun is just free kills.

Even unscoped, the Sniper is pretty powerful?

Even unscoped, the Sniper is pretty powerful?

Absolutely, but I'd still argue that it's harder to use than the Railgun.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have a question for everyone/anyone. Who actively picks up the boltshot for any reason other than having no ammo in your precision weapon and why? I ask because I keep seeing their placement mentioned as if it actually holds any significance at all when in every game I play its ignored. It might as well be an H2 magnum as far as everyone seems to be concerned.

I have a question for everyone/anyone. Who actively picks up the boltshot for any reason other than having no ammo in your precision weapon and why? I ask because I keep seeing their placement mentioned as if it actually holds any significance at all when in every game I play its ignored. It might as well be an H2 magnum as far as everyone seems to be concerned.

lowkey better than the pistol with it's homing.

melts OS too.

I'm the biggest Boltshot shill ever.

1. ​The Boltshot is not a hitscan precision clone (BR v. DMR v. LR v. Pistol v. Carbine)
  2. The Boltshot is misunderstood. Everyone claims that it 'auto aims' but that's just an illusion presented by the tracking bolts; if it was hitscan, no one would bat an eye. It doesn't require headshots, obviously, but it makes up for that by requiring a different level of situational awareness from the player.
  3. It's extremely hard to land all tracking bolts when an enemy player has clean movement and can kite the Boltshot user around geometry, causing the bolts to hit geo rather than their target.
  4. In open spaces (Empire Outside, for example) the Boltshot thrives because there isn't a lot of cover to interfere with the Bolts. Fathom streets are another good example (especially when the cover is dropped)

Someone a page or so back actually pointed out that when scoping in with the Boltshot, the projectiles travel even faster, which is more reason for me to keep labbing and improving with the weapon.

TL;DR: I pick it up because it has great situational advantages and has a lot of potential that can be discovered still.

• Upvote (+1) 5

No, not crazy at all to want the snipe on Fathom. There were actually snipers on Fathom during the Gamescom tournament, and it created some interesting scenarios of sniping from the treehouses.

Also, if I may chime in on the Boltshot discussion, winning a 1v1 engagement with the weapon vs a magnum will happen frequently IF you can manipulate the engagement to happen on your terms and to the Boltshot's strength (fighting in wipe open space where you can strafe well and cause just one missed shot).

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm the biggest Boltshot shill ever.

1. ​The Boltshot is not a hitscan precision clone (BR v. DMR v. LR v. Pistol v. Carbine)
  2. The Boltshot is misunderstood. Everyone claims that it 'auto aims' but that's just an illusion presented by the tracking bolts; if it was hitscan, no one would bat an eye. It doesn't require headshots, obviously, but it makes up for that by requiring a different level of situational awareness from the player.
  3. It's extremely hard to land all tracking bolts when an enemy player has clean movement and can kite the Boltshot user around geometry, causing the bolts to hit geo rather than their target.
  4. In open spaces (Empire Outside, for example) the Boltshot thrives because there isn't a lot of cover to interfere with the Bolts. Fathom streets are another good example (especially when the cover is dropped)

Someone a page or so back actually pointed out that when scoping in with the Boltshot, the projectiles travel even faster, which is more reason for me to keep labbing and improving with the weapon.

TL;DR: I pick it up because it has great situational advantages and has a lot of potential that can be discovered still.

See, this is the kind of posts we need when defending arguments. A lot of people under utilize the sandbox. For example I don't see a lot of pro's pick up the needler but it's almost a power weapon in my eyes.

I'm guilty of doing the same thing with the surpressor tbh. I've been using it more and it's pretty good in some situations.

what's the win/draw ratio for OT games? i hate being forced to watch a minimum 15 more minutes of the same gametype when they end in a draw. 15 minute sudden death OT makes more sense imo

what's the win/draw ratio for OT games? i hate being forced to watch a minimum 15 more minutes of the same gametype when they end in a draw. 15 minute sudden death OT makes more sense imo

I would much prefer 15 minute sudden death overtime in HCS than 3 minute. It just works better.

They should test 4 shot pistol while all this arena testing it going down

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

LOL You're asking for too much dude. They aren't even testing no radar. 

The tests are going on for three more days. Not a chance they're going to test a four shot kill Pistol in such a short period of time.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I miss the snipe on Tyrant, particularly as a spectator. 5-cap Tyrant could work, and I'd prefer CTF over assault, but don't think it's a terrible Assault map. 

Stasis Slayer feels a bit lacking in structure, but I love the flow for CTF. 

The general trend of removing autos / putting them in off-path locations seems pretty solid, but I wouldn't mind keeping some BRs around. 

The Fuel Rod on Truth doesn't play as poorly as I thought it would. 

Echoing the above posts, I used to ignore the Boltshot entirely, but I've actually been picking it up on some of these new map locations. I like how it feels slightly favored in specific types of engagements, so you have to plan your movement accordingly. 

Personally I loved picking up BRs on maps, especially Coliseum. Would it be absurd to put one on top cat?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Personally I loved picking up BRs on maps, especially Coliseum. Would it be absurd to put one on top cat

An interesting proposal. It might be a bit cluttered with the other rifles on one of the most open maps in the game, but it may be a decent compromise for people who are demanding BRs return to the map.

An interesting proposal. It might be a bit cluttered with the other rifles on one of the most open maps in the game, but it may be a decent compromise for people who are demanding BRs return to the map.

I mean, the original had 2 DMRs and 2 BRs on the map, so it would be the same number of rifles. But I agree that it would be a bit weird to have the DMRs in the old BR location, and a BR on top cat, as that's 3 rifles very close together. 

Personally I would like:

2 DMRs in their original locations (next to window)

1 BR on top-cat

1 Carbine or BR next to the original rocket spawn

Were people concerned that there were too many rifles on the original layout? The only "complaint" I had with vanilla Coli was that the rocket side of the map didn't incentivize much traffic. Even the SMGs didn't seem like much of an issue, but I don't mind moving them away from the fountains. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Were people concerned that there were too many rifles on the original layout? The only "complaint" I had with vanilla Coli was that the rocket side of the map didn't incentivize much traffic. Even the SMGs didn't seem like much of an issue, but I don't mind moving them away from the fountains.

Yeah the main questions you basically have to ask are

- Is the quantity of rifles causing too many lopsided gunfights and snowballing?

- Are the placements encouraging weapon upgrading, snowballing or actual weapon roles/niches

Neutral Carbine and BR bring the rifle count back up to 4, but due to the neutral nature they would become less frequent, which satisfies that first question.

The only questionable issue is then related to snowballing. Will a neutral BR Top Cat make it to easy to slay people trying to push from fountain? I think it's a decent reward for earning positional advantage, it's just the openness of the map that could make that reward a bit too powerful.

SMG movement was good because it helped reduced the clutter and randomness in Fountains/Snipe area. Also helps people who get basement spawns which are very brutal.

I think that 2-1-1 idea isn't too bad though and I'd like to play it eventually.

• Upvote (+1) 1

have they said why they don't do that?

I would imagine that they're keen to avoid 27 minute Arena matchmaking games. 

I notice everyone seems to hate the Railgun in competitive... How about nerfing it so that it takes more skill to use.

The could get rid of the ability to fire it before it's full charged and/or only award 1HK to shots to the head area. Anywhere else would just drain shields.

I notice everyone seems to hate the Railgun in competitive... How about nerfing it so that it takes more skill to use.

The could get rid of the ability to fire it before it's full charged and/or only award 1HK to shots to the head area. Anywhere else would just drain shields.

I think an increased, static charge time and headshot requirements would actually be a pretty solid change. It'd be a Sniper with a bigger hitbox and less range but requires the charge up to be successful. Solid ideas.

If they don't want to drastically change the weapon for Halo 5's lifespan in that way, they could increase the reload time to make it more punishing and demanding of killing the correct targets with it.

Reducing bullet magnetism and clip size maybe, I don't know the weapon in in a weird place balance wise, since it has litle no counterplay.