CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

The more I play this game the more I become ok with radar being on.

The movements is fast and unpredictable as it is. Idk if I'd enjoy playing without a radar

You are only looking at the argument at face value. Of course we want flanking and unpredictable close quarters plays, but the problem that arises is that H5's movement is so erratic and unpredictable that a moment like this could happen at any second. What if Defy had just called out Squared at Blue Ramp and he had Sprinted and Slide Boosted all the way to Shotgun, and jumped up in a matter of seconds?

Radar is providing consistency that doesn't exist because of the insane movement.

Note: I want radar removed too, but you are using completely anecdotal evidence. If you can't look at the reasons radar is in competitive currently then you aren't going to effectively convince them to remove it. You have to be objective

Good points and maybe the clip wasn't the best example to try to show what I wash trying to say. I have made more detailed posts in which I try to be objective such as on the first page of this thread but I would say for now that the spawns and maps in H5 are not so weird that some added unpredictability isn't overbalanced by the overwhelming increase of awareness skill gap introduced by no radar. if you want we can talk about that point in more detail.

The movements is fast and unpredictable as it is. Idk if I'd enjoy playing without a radar

Respect levels decreasing

Anger levels increasing

I don't even really know what to say about radar at this point. It definitely has downsides. Running around bottom mid on Torque for literally 45 seconds making sure they can't get in LoS of me is definitely one of them. Same with silos on Fathom. I'm actually sitting here trying to think of a moment where the movement was so insane that I needed the radar to make the good play myself rather than my radar just shutting down a good play from the opponent. The reason its so hard to think of one is because the radar is so short I'm either already dead by the time someone behind me is on it or I'm just seeing people through floors that otherwise made a good flank. I can think of tons of times I preemptively begin to crouch where I think they'll be and it gives me an easy kill because it assures I'm ready and they aren't but that's why we removed radar to begin with. Lol.

I think the argument that the movement is too hard to predict and that's why we keep radar is completely unjustified. We already have to predict and actually look around 99% of the time as it is unless they're already on top of you or on the other side of walls/floors. Not sure we should be awarded the information through map geometry. That just shuts down or makes smart but close quarters flanks extremely slow. 

The idea of only showing on radar while using spartan abilities logically appeases both sides of the argument and preserves everything we liked about no radar while also pumping the brakes on spartan abilities. Not sure why we don't see more of a push for that since everyone should be able to agree to it.

Basically we have radar to reduce random, fast, and close flanks due to increased player speed due to spartan abilities. We want to get rid of the radar because being forced to crouch to make a good and close flank like we always did slows the game down and gives players the ability to be rewarded for crouching in a corner and using something other than their awareness to see players through walls. Radar only working on people sprinting and thrusting complies with the wishes of all of those pro radar arguments and also preserves our time tested flanks and gameplay without spartan abilities allowing more intelligent close range flanks and intricate map movement. It also potentially punishes thoughtless use of the abilities. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Respect levels decreasing

Anger levels increasing

Ha

It's just a thought. I could be wrong. I've never played h5 with no radar.

Ha

It's just a thought. I could be wrong. I've never played h5 with no radar.

Thanks for being willing to post a different opinion in this thread. I do think part of the problem is that people haven't tried h5 enough without radar. If Reach mlg had had radar from the start people might have thought it was a good idea because its movement was so much more chaotic than its predecessors.

I want the radar removed mostly to save my left stick.

Toggle crouch? :kappa:

You are only looking at the argument at face value. Of course we want flanking and unpredictable close quarters plays, but the problem that arises is that H5's movement is so erratic and unpredictable that a moment like this could happen at any second. What if Defy had just called out Squared at Blue Ramp and he had Sprinted and Slide Boosted all the way to Shotgun, and jumped up in a matter of seconds?

This sentiment is highly ironic - most of the people who are full-splooge over movement options apparently can't reconcile the bad effects that they cause.

However, the movement options are detrimental to the pacing of Halo...they're not detrimental because "I'm getting assassinated all the time". If a person is constantly getting outflanked, that's the fault of one of two things - one's own situational awareness, or shitty map design.

Moreover, the margin for radar giving too much information and too little information is absolutely razor thin; right now, it's giving too little information/giving it too late, and most people are on top of you before you even have a chance to react to what you see on your radar. This makes radar in H5 most useful as the one thing we hate it most for...a tool that rewards camping.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Cooper is on the shill side of an argument?!

giphy.gif

You'll find my take on radar to be a little off because i've always been a primarily "default" player. I usually stay quiet on radar debates because personally I doesn't ruin my enjoyment one way or the other.

I've always know radar to be a detriment to competitive halo though. With H5 I'm just not sure though. The game is following this "uniformity" ideal. I feel like h5 comp settings either have to be 100% default or (preferable to me) we go all the way.

I would never have guessed in a million years that radar being on would even be a discussion in a competitive Halo forum. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

I've had several chances to play H5 without radar, and the freedom is relieving. There is no excuse for it continuing to exist.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Quinn responded to my proposal of converting Tier 1 Weapons to Tier 2 Timers. Regardless of whether or not the idea ever comes to fruition, its really awesome that they would reconsider a system that they have obviously put a lot of time into.

Quinn responded to my proposal of converting Tier 1 Weapons to Tier 2 Timers. Regardless of whether or not the idea ever comes to fruition, its really awesome that they would reconsider a system that they have obviously put a lot of time into.

What's time consuming about putting weapons at random places on the maps with 20 second respawn timers? That felt like a cheaper and lazier way to do a weapon system like the one you want.

Anyone running no radar customs? I'd be down to test them though I'm sure not much testing will be needed in order to see the benefits of the settings

Call me dumb, but can you explain the tiers & their timing to me? Am* i over thinking it. Are tier 2 just rockets and such on 3 minute spawns?

You'll find my take on radar to be a little off because i've always been a primarily "default" player. I usually stay quiet on radar debates because personally I doesn't ruin my enjoyment one way or the other.

I've always know radar to be a detriment to competitive halo though. With H5 I'm just not sure though. The game is following this "uniformity" ideal. I feel like h5 comp settings either have to be 100% default or (preferable to me) we go all the way.

I agree with this. I've always agreed that competitive Halo (barring FFA) plays better without radar.

However, as a solo player the lack of usable radar only makes solo H5 a nightmare. Due to the issues with the ranking system, I sure as hell can't trust my teammates to watch my back.

Then we get rid of the unpredictable movement and radar right along with them. Problem solved.

Call me dumb, but can you explain the tiers & their timing to me? Am* i over thinking it. Are tier 2 just rockets and such on 3 minute spawns?

Tier 1 weapons are your rifles and automatics etc. Basic weapons. They spawn 20 seconds after being disturbed.

Tier 2 weapons are your Shotguns, Needlers, Plasma Pistols etc. They spawn 10 seconds after the previous incarnation has despawned.

Tier 3 weapons are on weapon pads and spawn at set intervals throughout the match.

Forge can be used to move weapons between tiers or to adjust the specific numbers involved in the respawning. A suggestion people have is bumping the Storm Rifle to Tier 2 so that there can never be more in play than spawn on the map at the start.

• Upvote (+1) 2