CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Menke keeps hinting that the best Oddball map by the numbers will "appall" us

I don’t have a clue what he’s hinting at. Is he talking about quit rate? Final Scores? Accurate expected outcomes?

The most ‘appalling’ map is overgrowth, so I can only assume the data has something good to say about it.

I don’t have a clue what he’s hinting at. Is he talking about quit rate? Final Scores? Accurate expected outcomes?

The most ‘appalling’ map is overgrowth, so I can only assume the data has something good to say about it.

He's looking at quit rates and expected outcomes mostly. I'm going to guess Overgrowth looks good right now because everyone is still learning Oddball on all these maps, and Overgrowth is the most straightforward and most gun-skill reliant.

Alright everyone time to immediately quit/dashboard on Overgrowth again. Better to do it now and send the message rather than wait until it becomes a ritual of the actual playlist. The map is actually trash you just run away with the oddball and 9 times out of 10 by the time your team is all dead you've been playing Nascar with the ball long enough for them to all spawn on you again

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would dashboard everything but Rig at this point tbh. I liked Eden in theory, but in practice it's pretty meh. Hoping for Rig and Truth Oddball for HWC at this point.

I would dashboard everything but Rig at this point tbh. I liked Eden in theory, but in practice it's pretty meh. Hoping for Rig and Truth Oddball for HWC at this point.

If we had veto nobody would have to dashboard. Just saying....

He's looking at quit rates and expected outcomes mostly. I'm going to guess Overgrowth looks good right now because everyone is still learning Oddball on all these maps, and Overgrowth is the most straightforward and most gun-skill reliant.

In what way is it gun skill reliant? It's a map where grenades and melee (i.e. the braindead corners of the "golden triangle") are the most dominant by far, because it's all tight quarters, hallways, short sightlines, and sharp turns. It's a map that doesn't seem to have been scaled properly for ANY element of Halo 5. Which means that it's very easy for the genius crouching with the ball to get one hit melees on pushing players and I would wager money that if you looked at a tard charge heat map, top mid hotter than any area of any other map in the game.

And then on top of that you have buffed camo, which is god-awful and does anything but encourage firing your weapon and they swapped the rail (which already dominated the map) for the grenade launcher (i.e. extra cancerous nAIDS). I know you're not saying the map is good, but gun skill is the LAST thing I would associate with blovergrowth. I guess you mean that team shot is harder because all of the sightlines are so isolated and linear?

​I really want to forget this map ever existed.

Obviously there's no saving overgrowth, but why did they segment the central hallways from the rest of the map?... leaving just tiny windows with knee high lips that make out difficult to jump out of.

Making them catwalks with limited cover instead of hallways would make the map 10 times better.

I just wish I could be a fly on the wall during the meeting when they settled on making the map 90% hallway.

I've always said that if that top hallway was just an open catwalk Overgrowth could have been really interesting.

I've always said that if that top hallway was just an open catwalk Overgrowth could have been really interesting.

By creating massive dead space

By creating massive dead space

Well now, at any given time, 90% of the map is dead spac because you have to be in the same room as an opponent in order to apply any pressure.

Turn top mid into 3 catwalks that meet in the middle, and place cover along the catwalks in a way that allows interesting cross map sightlines, and the map would flow much better.

It seems to me like they wanted to experiment with requiring SAs to get around while also taking strict control over where SAs will be useful. Like they wanted movement to be more predictable, like previous games, but the only way to achieve that was to remove virtually all freedom.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In what way is it gun skill reliant? It's a map where grenades and melee (i.e. the braindead corners of the "golden triangle") are the most dominant by far, because it's all tight quarters, hallways, short sightlines, and sharp turns. It's a map that doesn't seem to have been scaled properly for ANY element of Halo 5. Which means that it's very easy for the genius crouching with the ball to get one hit melees on pushing players and I would wager money that if you looked at a tard charge heat map, top mid hotter than any area of any other map in the game.

And then on top of that you have buffed camo, which is god-awful and does anything but encourage firing your weapon and they swapped the rail (which already dominated the map) for the grenade launcher (i.e. extra cancerous nAIDS). I know you're not saying the map is good, but gun skill is the LAST thing I would associate with blovergrowth. I guess you mean that team shot is harder because all of the sightlines are so isolated and linear?

​I really want to forget this map ever existed.

When you segment the map enough to make positioning no longer important, limit movement skill, and reduce teamwork and strategy to "You watch this door and I'll watch that one, and rotate the ball towards the other if one of us dies" gunskill is pretty much all that is left.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When you segment the map enough to make positioning no longer important, limit movement skill, and reduce teamwork and strategy to "You watch this door and I'll watch that one, and rotate the ball towards the other if one of us dies" gunskill is pretty much all that is left.

Nades. Tons and tons of nades.

As a man who has had an unfortunately large amount of experience with Overgrowth, I can confirm.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Plus melee, melee, and more melee. Gun skill doesn't matter when you are constantly getting nuked by nades and always within a few steps of melee range at most. Would do you need guns for? Weakening their shields before you lunge? Cleaning them up after 8 nades thrown within 3 seconds of each other made them absolute? Good times.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Plus melee, melee, and more melee. Gun skill doesn't matter when you are constantly getting nuked by nades and always within a few steps of melee range at most. Would do you need guns for? Weakening their shields before you lunge? Cleaning them up after 8 nades thrown within 3 seconds of each other made them absolute? Good times.

I don’t think he’s saying that the map highlights gunskill.

He’s saying that gunskill is the only possible way for one team to differentiate from the other, because all other skills are nullified by the map’s design.

The map boils down to nade, Melee, occasionally shoot people. The first two are essentially skilless actions.

• Upvote (+1) 6

He’s saying that gunskill is the only possible way for one team to differentiate from the other, because all other skills are nullified by the map’s design.

The map boils down to nade, Melee, occasionally shoot people. The first two are essentially skilless actions.

Thank you. Exactly what I meant.

Man.... what is wrong with the BR??? I'm a BR 'kid' if you would call it that, but at this rate I much much much prefer the pistol for primary for our settings, so many flaws with oddball, too many grenade spams, I seem to never get my shields back (always get cleaned up), 1 hit melee kill, I think ball carrier should have no radar, grenade hit markers should not be a thing for oddball. A lot of the maps don't play right.

When do we get our old settings back?  :walshy:

Man.... what is wrong with the BR??? I'm a BR 'kid' if you would call it that, but at this rate I much much much prefer the pistol for primary for our settings, so many flaws with oddball, too many grenade spams, I seem to never get my shields back (always get cleaned up), 1 hit melee kill, I think ball carrier should have no radar, grenade hit markers should not be a thing for oddball. A lot of the maps don't play right.

When do we get our old settings back?  :walshy:

Basically the BR has less magnetism and aim assist than the pistol does along with having a really extended burst so you have to track the player for longer. What that turns into is a super small margin of error on the players end for a perfect kill and if you somehow have a shot not connect due to being online etc it gets even worse. For most people I honestly think this BR is going to not be friendly as long as we're using a controller even if lag isn't in the game. Oh and it just straight up kills people slower than the pistol does. It feels bad because its pretty much a nerf in every way compared to the pistol we've been using.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Basically the BR has less magnetism and aim assist than the pistol does along with having a really extended burst so you have to track the player for longer. What that turns into is a super small margin of error on the players end for a perfect kill and if you somehow have a shot not connect due to being online etc it gets even worse. For most people I honestly think this BR is going to not be friendly as long as we're using a controller even if lag isn't in the game. Oh and it just straight up kills people slower than the pistol does. It feels bad because its pretty much a nerf in every way compared to the pistol we've been using.

And it’s impossible to land the 3 bullets on a thrusting target.

I did understand that point, yes. My contention was that it's still functionally irrelevant on that map, because everything else trumps it (the skill-less parts). Individual positioning is about all you have (i.e. getting the first shot, staying out of tard charge range, and avoiding grenukes), unless you want to risk holding hands with your team mates for some team shot and all getting nuked by the same spam. Oh, and remembering when camo is up, especially now that camo is a better OS.

​Basically, Overgrowth is awful. I think we all agree on that point. Ugh.

Does anyone else think the HaloWC Oddball Preview is garbage? The BR is not as effective of a utility weapon as the pistol; it's far too weak since the newest patch, and the Gunfighter Magnum is useless mid to long range - especially compared to the default pistol. Moreover, why did they remove the HCS playlist? So disappointed. Oddball could work for HCS on maybe The Rig and Truth though (in my opinion).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anyone else think the HaloWC Oddball Preview is garbage? The BR is not as effective of a utility weapon as the pistol; it's far too weak since the newest patch, and the Gunfighter Magnum is useless mid to long range - especially compared to the default pistol. Moreover, why did they remove the HCS playlist? So disappointed. Oddball could work for HCS on maybe The Rig and Truth though (in my opinion).

343 isn’t very smart, this would be like removing the MLG playlist back in the day.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

343 isn’t very smart, this would be like removing the MLG playlist back in the day.

Can you imagine if bungie had pulled the MLG playlist to test Lockdown Oddball in H3? That fucking forge map still gives me nightmares it was terrible lmao

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can you imagine if bungie had pulled the MLG playlist to test Lockdown Oddball in H3? That fucking forge map still gives me nightmares it was terrible lmao

I still remember Puckett wanting to die when it tied that one time and they had to replay it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It wasn’t Overgrowth bad tho.
  • Upvote (+1) 1